Stadtalm Naturfreundehaus Reviews

Moenchsberg 19c, Salzburg, Austria

As other person says, this hosel is under rated. If you want to hang around for party or bar crawling, this is not for you. But the hostel is located on the hill with a wonderful view of Salzburg. The room is basic but clean. The resaurant is also nice there.

If you don't want to walk 300+ steps don't come, simple :) Really good breakfast, super clean, free wifi, centre location, lockers and best showers in a long time! A pleasant surprise, deserves a higher rating in my opinion for the views alone!

I had booked for 2night but they checked only one night so they said I had to move my room each day. And there was no available bed for me. Because the hostel overbooked one more. There was a guy who came to the hostel and they let him use my room, that's why I couldn't have a normal bed eventhou I booked 1month ago. I told the hostel and they provided an extra bed without any apology and even said that 20euro for me was the value like that. Furthermore overbooking in this hostel was very common

How could i carry my luggage to the top of mountain? I don't want to remember it. It was the best except for location. :(

We stayed for a total of 3 nights. It was 2 of us but we only got one key. There were some lockers in the room and we asked for the key of those but apparently they were lost so we had to leave our things with them open. Then, the last night one of our lockers was closed with our things inside (there actually was a key and it was given to a new customer who locked our things inside when he saw it was full), so we had to break it open to be able to get our things since he was not there. not good.

The rating for this hostel should be much higher. This hostel was amazing. The location beats everything. Beds were comfortable and the facilities were very clean. A little tricky to find but once you do it's worth it!! Also their restaurant is classic german food that tastes great and priced well!

The hostel had a great view, but it was was difficult to find and quite a walk up a lot of steps. I didn't expect much for €20 a night, but the building didn't have a social room or any facilities etc. It was just a room for the night above a very busy restaurant, which meant you could smell the food from the kitchen constantly. Breakfast was simple but nice that it was included. Its fine for the price, but I wouldn't pay more.

The place can be accessed relatively easily via the lift in the Modern Museum. But if you plan on reaching the hostel out-of-hours when the museum is closed, you might have a bit more trouble making the trek up in the dark. Otherwise, location was brilliant with a great view, breakfast included was good.

This hostel isn't a "real hostel" it's more of just a bed above a restaurant so do not have high expectations if you're just looking for a bed then it's perfect. Also not accessible with your suit case, a taxi is required as there are many stairs to climb, although the view is great!

if you don't expect a lot, you will get more from this hostel. there's no kitchen or common area, but with 19 euros you get to stay in a 6-bed room and enjoy the breakfast (included) with a hilltop view, man, what more can you complain! we did enjoy our stay here. the staff may not speak much english, and the interaction is minimum, but well, enjoy yourself in the surrounding of this hostel. it's a nice place to spend few nights, and the cheapest we could find in town with breakfast!

• 16th Oct 2014
  • Malaysia

I was treated to a beautiful sunset over the alps! However, night I got there, I arrived at the pre-arranged time (7pm) but no-one was there! I had to book another hostel for that night and had to pay Natursfrundhus as well. What with running the restaurant during the day and dealing with new guests, they definitely need to get another person to help out. That said, they were very friendly and accomodating.

The rooms are pretty small but the view is really really great. Make sure to bring a copy of your booking. I'm not so sure if you get a bed without it. When I arrived at the Stadtalm, there was no booking with my name. In my case the reception replaced two of the names in their list with my name. I don't hope two guests lost their beds this way... best access to the Stadtalm: stairs (start from 47.797520, 13.042604) or elevator (47.800870, 13.038787)

• 22nd Sep 2014

Amazing location overlooking the town of Salzburg and in the old tower along the wall. A bit of a trek to get there though. Don't expect a cozy common room and kitchen, it's just a place to sleep really and the staff are busy with the restaurant.

Beautiful view centrally located. BUT on top of a hill that is a 20min hike through the woods. No real staff to great you. More of a restaurant with rooms upstairs. Guy in my room was biking across Europe and had his locked bike stolen.

The view from windows is truly marvellous, pretty much the only thing good there. Facilities are limited to toilet and bathroom that lacks some privacy. The breakfast was very poor, particularly for a place that mainly serves as a restaurant. Getting up there was not such a hassle, at least if one comes from the old town up the stairs. Our Hostelworld downpayment was not taken into account by a waitress lacking the knowledge of English.

This is not really a hostel, just a restaurant with some rooms. No Wi-Fi, kitchen, common room or reception. I did not meet any people here.The view is nice though and the walk there is beautiful, but way too hard if you have luggage with you so you have to pay 5e in public transport to get there. The Staff is quite busy serving the "paying customers" in the restaurant, I had to wait for like 15 min for them to answer my questions. They did not offer any city info. Would not stay here again :)

staff had a very freindly. And view is so great.

The location is phenomenal. Everything else was disappointing. No lockers for our luggage, extremely tiny rooms, and terrible breakfast. Too bad, because with the location is could be a fantastic hostel. I guess you get what you pay for.

It would be better to have wifi in the hostel! That is the only demerit of yours.

Thank you for the great time we had and the information we received from you. You have such an awesome location :)

Dankeschön ;)