Stadtalm Naturfreundehaus Reviews

Moenchsberg 19c, Salzburg, Austria

The hostel is located on the mountain. You have to walk 300 steps or pay 2.2 € to use the lift. Room was very clean, shower was very warm and strong. Best breakfast I ever had in any hostel. Definitely will be back.

The hostel is located on the top of a mountain with the view of the city from the top. It was amazing for me because you can take photos from differents views. And the hostel is sorroundig by a forest. I woke up early in the morning and take pictures of squirrels in the trees. The breakfast was fabulous and I could talk with young people from different countries

I loved this place and am planning on going back. The only issues are that it's hard to find. Plan ahead and either find it in daylight, have someone show you where the lift is, or take a taxi at night. The lift does cost money and there are stairs to take but it's hard to find from then and the signs are confusing. It's in a fortress wall so not obviously a hostel at all. I met many great people and had a wonderful free breakfast with a view :) don't expect the staff to interact with you much

• 24th Oct 2015

Such a beautiful little place! Definitely a hike to get up there, but worth it. No common room/place to sit at night was the only downside, but it was very clean and comfortable. The breakfast was simple but delicious (bread, jam, cheese, juice, coffee, etc) and the view was unbeatable.

Though the accessibility of the hostel is not quite good. It has the best view you can have in Salzburg.

Wifi isn't in all the rooms. Amazing view at the top but difficult to get to with luggage. Restaurant closes at 5pm so have to head into the town for dinner and walking back up in the dark isn't great when alone. Would not recommend for solo travelers. Zero tourist information or atmosphere.

We arrived in Salzburg late in the evening so had some difficulty in getting there. We ended up getting a taxi which wasn't too expensive so it ended up being good. We were greeted with an amazing view of Salzburg. We paid for a 6 bed dorm and ended up in a 4 bed dorm to ourselves so we were very happy with that. The breakfast was average but included in the price so still worth trying. I would stay here again!

Stadtalm Naturfreundehaus is a wonderful place to lay your head after you've explored beautiful Salburg during the day. The views from outside the hostel (and from inside the breakfast nook) are absolutely breathtaking. I believe there is a lift up to the hostel, but we took the stairs every day, which takes about 5-10 minutes. Take advantage of the lovely breakfast in the mornings.

There's no reception, no common room and difficult to get there if it is your first visit to the city! This is not a hostel but a restaurant that had extra rooms upstairs and decided it was better to make money off of them than leave them empty. It's not the staff's fault since they are primarily waiters, but there is no real customer service.

The location on top of the Mönchsberg is amazing, with a wonderful view over the city. It's a small, quiet hostel. Not a party place. There's no reception, no common room. There is a restaurant where you can get a good lunch for a decent price. No dinner, they're closed at 5 pm. I stayed in the only room on the second floor and the wifi didn't work there, but it was fine everywhere else. Bathroom and toilets were clean and the showers nice and warm.

This is a restaurant that had extra rooms upstairs and decided it was better to make money off of them than leave them empty. It's not the staff's fault since they are primarily waiters, but there is no real customer service. Also this place had no common room and no kitchen or fridge for storing food. The Internet was okay, until everybody started using it around 8pm. The location is great, close to everything, yet secluded on a hill with a great view. Also a simple free breakfast.

The location of the hostel was fantastic! It is on top of the Mönchsberg and I was able to see the Hohensalzburg Fortress and the Old Town Salzburg through the window of my room! Because of its good location, I think the stay was worth the money. The shower rooms were nice and clean, which was a plus.

As other person says, this hosel is under rated. If you want to hang around for party or bar crawling, this is not for you. But the hostel is located on the hill with a wonderful view of Salzburg. The room is basic but clean. The resaurant is also nice there.

If you don't want to walk 300+ steps don't come, simple :) Really good breakfast, super clean, free wifi, centre location, lockers and best showers in a long time! A pleasant surprise, deserves a higher rating in my opinion for the views alone!

I had booked for 2night but they checked only one night so they said I had to move my room each day. And there was no available bed for me. Because the hostel overbooked one more. There was a guy who came to the hostel and they let him use my room, that's why I couldn't have a normal bed eventhou I booked 1month ago. I told the hostel and they provided an extra bed without any apology and even said that 20euro for me was the value like that. Furthermore overbooking in this hostel was very common

How could i carry my luggage to the top of mountain? I don't want to remember it. It was the best except for location. :(

We stayed for a total of 3 nights. It was 2 of us but we only got one key. There were some lockers in the room and we asked for the key of those but apparently they were lost so we had to leave our things with them open. Then, the last night one of our lockers was closed with our things inside (there actually was a key and it was given to a new customer who locked our things inside when he saw it was full), so we had to break it open to be able to get our things since he was not there. not good.

The rating for this hostel should be much higher. This hostel was amazing. The location beats everything. Beds were comfortable and the facilities were very clean. A little tricky to find but once you do it's worth it!! Also their restaurant is classic german food that tastes great and priced well!

The hostel had a great view, but it was was difficult to find and quite a walk up a lot of steps. I didn't expect much for €20 a night, but the building didn't have a social room or any facilities etc. It was just a room for the night above a very busy restaurant, which meant you could smell the food from the kitchen constantly. Breakfast was simple but nice that it was included. Its fine for the price, but I wouldn't pay more.

great place. Very peaceful and staff are great and so helpful

• 27th Apr 2015