Stafford Gables Hostel Reviews

71 Stafford St, Dunedin, New Zealand

I booked a four dorm and got a single room. It was perfect :)

The hostel has good facilities and the old building has character.

The hostel building was full of character and the atmosphere was very friendly.

• 3rd Mar 2014

I didn't like my stay there, I found the whole place quit dirty and unfriendly atmosphere.

Good hostel. Not too far from the city center. Free tea/coffee and wifi. Only annoying thing was that it was really cold in all the common areas (but the heating in our room was good).

Up a short sharp hill, just a wander from the city centre, though about a mile from the intercity stop. This is a lovely large hostel, with fantastic free wifi-seriously good. The dorm i was in was spacious and the toilet and shower a little small but did the job. The place looks a bit ramshackle, but I found it charming.

I thought this hostel was great value for money. Possibly the cheapest in Dunedin and good location, clean and well equipped. Good character too and plenty of hang-out rooms so never feels too busy. A kitchen is only ever as clean as the people who use it, keep it. I would stay here again and recommend others to do the same.

Need a supply of clean tea towels in the kitchen, Kitchen needs a good clean. Place cold.

• 8th Jan 2014
  • Scotland

All rooms are individually heated and most probably he did not turn on heater.No complains from other guests. Extra blankets are available at the reception.By the way this is summer here. Due to hygiene reasons we have stopped usages of tea towels as they were misused to clean pot and pans Extra dish drying racks has been placed in kitchen.

Positive: The room was very spacious with four single beds in the four bed dorm. Negative: Room was smelly. Wifi didn't work properly and only at reception. The arranged late arrival seemed not to be convenient to the host. No fresh tea towels available in the kitchen.

Attended to customers comment about room smell but they were unable to pinpoint what sort of smell in room, as I was not able to pick up the smell. They arrived at about 9pm and our counter was still open.It was not an issue at all. WIFI during that day was very busy and as such affects the WIFI usages. Apology for that.

There is free wifi said to be everywhere but actually it is just working infront of the reception and even there the signal is really bad. The kittchen ( especially the towels) should be cleaned/ washed more often!

Please advise the guest we apologise for th kitchen and towels that day. It was a very busy day especially end of the year and alot of people were cooking in the kitchen even though we have two big kitchens.Normally we clean the kitchen when cooking finishes at 8 or 9 pm at night and also in the morning. We can,t clean when people are still using the kitchen.This also goes with the tea towel. It is suppose to be use for drying dishes but some guest used it to clean the oily cooking pans too.

Nice place. Old but with plenty of character. Room was clean. Little bit out of the town centre but not too bad (about 10 mins walk). All in all, I liked it and would stay here again.

bad hostel. they don't clean the rooms, but use air freshener instead. also they do not clean the untersheeds of the beds!! everthing is old and not properly maintained.