Stafford Gables Hostel Reviews

71 Stafford St, Dunedin, New Zealand

Cheap to stay at and very close to the city center which was great, however, the bathroom was so dirty. Mold on the curtains and the shower carpet, the rubbish bins filled up that stuff fall on the ground, and a horrible smell was in the air. The bed mattress.. there or not, I could feel the metal rods laying on the bed and it made noises and looked like it would break any second. It has basic facilities, it is cheap to stay at, but it really does not have to be that unhygienic!!! Not nice!!!

• 21st Mar 2015

Good backpacker hostel, have everything and the price was excellent.

The hostel was ok, but I missed some kitchen equipment and a description how to get there. No lockers available. The atmosphere is soso. I would love a little bit more happiness around plus better guest service. Ok to stay there, but could be better

Basic hostel. You get what you pay for. My room, dorm of 6 was airy and spacious which was nice. Secure lock on the. Dorm room. Showers and toilets were clean and accessible. Kitchen is basic but functional, although the fridge is slightly questionable- was a bit flooded when I was there.

The Staffel was Nice but Not really often at the reception during the opening Hours. The kitchen was not good equiped (no shared Knies etc.) No lockers. But nevertheless the Hostel was ok 😉

I booked a twin room a couple of days beforehand for my daughter and myself but was told on arrival that we had been given a double room as we had booked at the last minute but "it was a very nice room". Room tatty with falling apart lampshades, scrawled notices on the walls detailing all the things you weren't allowed to do in your room, showers that burnt you one minute then shocked you with cold, and a rather expensive price. $82 per night to share a bed with my daughter. Never again.

• 17th Feb 2015
  • New Zealand

Very poor. No staff available at reception for most of the day. Very few cooking utensils in the kitchen area. Fridge in the kitchen broken - large pool of water on the bottom shelf. Half the cooking elements not working. No internet reception except when sitting on stairs opposite the reception area. No towels - only available at extra charge.

This hostel was a little out of the town, was cold and I didn't have enough power plugs in my room.

We actually had to find other accommodation as this hostel was so disgusting...we've travelled and stayed in hostels before so knew what to expect. The room was not what we had booked and we weren't able to lock our door. It was filthy and stank too. We got half our money back but are not impressed. We're wondering how this hostel is allowed to operate.

• 13th Feb 2015
  • New Zealand

Bathrooms where so clean and great pressure in the shower. rooms was also very clean but only 3 powerpoints for 6 people. location was awesome. so close to town, wifi only available in common areas.

The place is very dated but very charming. The building has a lot of character. Beds are comfortable and spaces. Nice value for the dollar

Quiet place, clean bathrooms. There should be some more cutlery though (especially forks) as there aren't enough of them when it's a bit busy in the kitchen. But it's a cool place with two dining rooms (one with a TV), a lounge (TV as well) and free Wi-Fi.

Nothing to add. All was perfect. I like a lot this house, like a labyrinthe, and also a view on Dunedin on a terrace! Awesome!!!

Our room had an awesome balcony for drinking and watching the world go by. A super short walk to Octagon and very easy to find. Would definitely stay here again.

Not a hostel we'd recommend. Having arrived at 1pm, we were greeted by an empty reception and a sign reading "out to lunch til 2.30". Right inside the open front door was the luggage storage, unlocked and ready for anyone to waltz in and take anything. Perturbed by what we'd seen, we took a look around. The hostel smelt awful and looked unclean, with the fridge duct taped together, buckets collecting water from leaks, no hot water, and cobwebs everywhere. We found other accommodation instead.

The place was filthy. We had to ask to get new bed sheets. The receptionist told us that they only change bed sheets if there are stains on them. The kitchen was not clean and seemed unsafe since the gas on the stove turned itself on and off randomly missing fire extinguishers.

• 28th Dec 2014
  • Sweden

No electricity to charge phones in sockets.

Cheap accommodation that did the job with some unusual features... upon arriving to the hostel I was confronted with a sign saying "No Refund Policy After Check-in, Regards Management" this raised alarm bells to me as I am guessing people have not been keen with the facilities. The facilities were basic but did the job. Its location is a little out of town, no more than a 10 minute walk. The kitchen facilities could have been better. Overall ok.

• 25th Dec 2014

I found the staff great in answering my questions and making me feel at home during my stay. The atmosphere of the hostel was very warm and comforting. The room was well contained and provided me with a good base for my stay.

• 19th Dec 2014
  • New Zealand

The place is a bit run down and could need some renovations.