Stafford Gables Hostel Reviews

71 Stafford St, Dunedin, New Zealand

it was really really cold

• 30th May 2015

Showers and toilets are not cleaned daily and also the kitchen was kinda dirty. The floor in the kitchen was sticky. It is pretty cold inside and a heater is turning off so often. You have to labeled your food but there are no labels and in the fridge was the air more warm than in the kitchen. You can not drink and eat in the dorm rooms. Eat I understand, but drink. Sorry I will not go out from the room with every drop of water which I need to drink especially in the night.

The place is dirty, cold and the kitchen has almost no utensils

• 27th Apr 2015

The whole place was freezing, there were no heaters anywhere and in order to sit at the (so called) living room, you had to wear your coat and a hood. You can only access the internet from the freezing living room. There is no hot water in the bathrooms until 9am so you have to wait that long to take a shower. The hostel is located up a steep hill so if you have heavy luggage, you will suffer all the way up the hill. There is no staff whatsoever except for a person after 9am behind a window

Regardless of the steep slope in front of it, I've to say this hostel has a wonderful rooftop! No matter sunrise or sunset it's such a peaceful place to rest yourself. It also has the best WiFi I've ever meet, two WiFi(one is 5G) and all free and unlimited. Cleanness is clearly a problem 'coz I kept seeing people leaving their dishes unwashed in the kitchen. And the creaking stairs are showing off the age of this building.

a lovely backpackers with a vintage building. nearest hostel to the bus stop to other cities. really comfortable and clean beds but toilets need upgrading. building needs better managing and kitchen needs more utensils and space. dining area cosy enough to interact with fellow backpackers. free wifi a bonus given the price paid. overall a value for your money and good for a couple nights stay.

Very very Dirty hostel! We had someone coming into our room tonight who - although he was not in our room - had a Key.

Cheap to stay at and very close to the city center which was great, however, the bathroom was so dirty. Mold on the curtains and the shower carpet, the rubbish bins filled up that stuff fall on the ground, and a horrible smell was in the air. The bed mattress.. there or not, I could feel the metal rods laying on the bed and it made noises and looked like it would break any second. It has basic facilities, it is cheap to stay at, but it really does not have to be that unhygienic!!! Not nice!!!

• 21st Mar 2015

Good backpacker hostel, have everything and the price was excellent.

The hostel was ok, but I missed some kitchen equipment and a description how to get there. No lockers available. The atmosphere is soso. I would love a little bit more happiness around plus better guest service. Ok to stay there, but could be better

Basic hostel. You get what you pay for. My room, dorm of 6 was airy and spacious which was nice. Secure lock on the. Dorm room. Showers and toilets were clean and accessible. Kitchen is basic but functional, although the fridge is slightly questionable- was a bit flooded when I was there.

The Staffel was Nice but Not really often at the reception during the opening Hours. The kitchen was not good equiped (no shared Knies etc.) No lockers. But nevertheless the Hostel was ok 😉

I booked a twin room a couple of days beforehand for my daughter and myself but was told on arrival that we had been given a double room as we had booked at the last minute but "it was a very nice room". Room tatty with falling apart lampshades, scrawled notices on the walls detailing all the things you weren't allowed to do in your room, showers that burnt you one minute then shocked you with cold, and a rather expensive price. $82 per night to share a bed with my daughter. Never again.

• 17th Feb 2015
  • New Zealand

Very poor. No staff available at reception for most of the day. Very few cooking utensils in the kitchen area. Fridge in the kitchen broken - large pool of water on the bottom shelf. Half the cooking elements not working. No internet reception except when sitting on stairs opposite the reception area. No towels - only available at extra charge.

This hostel was a little out of the town, was cold and I didn't have enough power plugs in my room.

We actually had to find other accommodation as this hostel was so disgusting...we've travelled and stayed in hostels before so knew what to expect. The room was not what we had booked and we weren't able to lock our door. It was filthy and stank too. We got half our money back but are not impressed. We're wondering how this hostel is allowed to operate.

• 13th Feb 2015
  • New Zealand

Bathrooms where so clean and great pressure in the shower. rooms was also very clean but only 3 powerpoints for 6 people. location was awesome. so close to town, wifi only available in common areas.

The place is very dated but very charming. The building has a lot of character. Beds are comfortable and spaces. Nice value for the dollar