Stay on Main Reviews

640 South Main Street, Los Angeles, USA

Stay on Main has the feeling more of a hotel than a hostel. It feels upscale, but not really a place to meet other travelers and to swap travel stories. Stay on Main is located in downtown with bars and restaurants nearby, but the hotel/hostel is still something like a 25 minute walk to Union Station (where the trains and metros are). A taxi to Union Station costs approximately $8-12 and you can call one from the hotel.

I booked it because it was the cheapest and, apparently, the most decent option close to union station. However, it turned to be an excellent option to stay, great entrance, nice rooms. Around the hotel there are some ugly blocks (downtown things) but some other nice blocks. I recomment this place for the people who are looking something located at the downtown.

• 27th Dec 2015
  • Colombia

The hotel is located in the downtown and there are bus stops nearby. The community. nearby does not seem very secure, but the staff in the lobby are quite friendly and helpful. There is free breakfast provided on the second floor. They provide waffles and cereals, and also hot coffee and orange juice. The room is quite clean and hygienic. However, there are no sinks for washing hands and I have to go back to my room to wash. Overall, this hotel has high quality.

I stayed in a 6bed female dorm, which was a good size, and clean. Bathrooms/washrooms are plentiful, but not particularly clean or modern. Hostel has an odd atmosphere since most people only stay one night, there's not a lot of socialising, and there's not a bar or social area as you would find in most hostels. Location is great though, close to bus and metro stations to get to Hollywood, santa monica, Beverly Hills etc.

• 24th Nov 2015
  • Scotland

Shower with flip flops like in college or anywhere public and your good... not to say you will get something.... im just saying... 45 bucks walk in price... versus 100+ for private room and you should consider flip flops in that shower too,,, i will be back while working downtown LA! Beats being stuck in traffic....

• 5th Nov 2015

He hostel is weird more than anything, it's mainly a hotel with some hostel rooms so it has a strange vibe. the rooms were boiling and there were no lockers in the rooms. The hostel is in downtown which isn't ideal, it's probably better for backpackers to stay in another location like Santa Monica

Was everything I needed it to be. I arrived, check in was easy. I ended with a two bunk dorm room to myself which was a bonus. The room was nice, colourful and clean. The toilet and shower aren't amazing but they are clean and functional. And the breakfast was lush, made fresh to order. The location is all dependant on your plans. Was perfect for me as I was meeting a tour at a hotel 15 min walk away. I felt very safe and would stay again.

Low cost for LA, good breakfast, good lobby facilities, ie movie TV, table tennis, decor,friendly staff, only let down was the room, but it is a hostel, still hot in late Septemberand to Air con worked well , overall 8 out of 10

The area was very disappointing- I was aware it was downtown but it really isn't a location to even have a hostel as there was few thins local to do and only in broad day light was it safe to leave the hostel. Security staff was helpful but reception not bothered to help me. They take a $50 deposit and put it on hold which is then released back to your account on check out if nothing has been damaged however this can take up to 30 days my bank has told me so I won't be able to use it now!

I've just stayed for a night on my way from Vegas to San Fran. I was traveling on my own and had no chance to connect with people in this hostel. There is space to hang out but nobody's around though. To be in a two bed dorm feels kinda strange. The hostel is pretty close to be a hotel. Just the breakfast has hostel qualities. Location is difficult to argue about in LA. The city is all spread up. I wouldn't recommend this hostel to those ones who want to meet new people.

No lockers and no air conditioning makes for an unsafe and uncomfortable stay

• 29th Aug 2015

When I stayed there, we had a faulty light which would turn on and off constantly during the night. It made it very difficult to sleep. However, there was not much the staff could do to rectify it as it wasn't until quite late we realized it was happening. Otherwise everything was really good, the staff were friendly and helpful. I lost my key card and they were more than happy to replace it for me.

• 25th Aug 2015

Rooms were comfy and clean. bathroom however was a bit disgusting.

Just don't No lockers in dorm room although it was a 2 person dorm that was just me sleeping in it. How was I supposed to know if someone would check in late after I'd gone to sleep? Very Noisey location Staff were great... I had an issue with my swipe card and it turned into a clusterf*** but the staff were helpful. I wouldn't say they were completely professional, they kinda looked fed up with their job. No atmosphere. No common room. Kitchen that requires a separate key. Bad showers.

waffle breakfast is nice, but could use some protein/meat in the breakfasts. wifi in my room on the 5th floor was pretty bad, so i had to stay in the lobby for usable signal.