Stay on Main Reviews

640 South Main Street, Los Angeles, USA

I stayed for four days, three nights. Really, the only complaint I could give is that the lines for the shared showers can be tedious and the continental breakfast guy didn't make enough waffles in the morning. The rooms are small, but not cramped, and clean upon even thorough inspection. It's older, but functional, and hard to find complaint with even while nitpicking.

• 2nd Jul 2014

Anyone considering staying at this hostel I suggest you read this article first. It was formerly known as the Cecil Hotel. http://mobile.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/before-the-ghost-photo-the-disturbing-gruesome-past-of-the-cecil-hotel/story-fnizu68q-1226813853089

Great place to stay! Rooms are for two and are spacious. Free breakfast are also nice. You should stay here!

This is a hotel style hostel. It is relatively spacious to stay in a dorm which accommodates only two guys. Sink in the dorm, very convenient! Laundry on the 1st floor. Toilets and showers on each floor. Price is great due to its downtown location. No hostel atmosphere at all but it is still a great choice if you prefer this style.

This hostel/hotel was a big surprise. On arriving I thought I must have made a mistake: it looks like a grand hotel, with marble floors, columns, gilded mirrors and beautiful sections of stained glass in the ceiling. But no mistake, the once grand Cecil hotel is now Stay on Main. I stayed in a 6 bed 'dorm', which felt spacious and comfortable. We had a toilet with bath/shower close by. Rather small but great to be able to shower in private. Breakfast was fine. Staff friendly. Recommendable.

• 21st May 2014

Went to a red carpet event in Downtown LA. It was cheap, the breakfast was good, and it had easy access to the airport. (Book the super shuttle in advanced for a round trip and it takes you straight to the hostel from the airport for really cheap!)

Perfect for a short stay in LA!

This is a bad hotel, and a terrible hostel. The location wasn't only pretty away from most Los Angeles attractions (like most places in LA), but it also was pretty ugly and insecure. The atmosphere is null, and the bathrooms are really dirty for such an expensive hotel.

It's more than common Hostel

Free breakfast, plenty of entertainment and the rooms were pretty decent (our dorm had three bunk beds as well as a sink and two shelves for our stuff, chairs, tv and an ironing set). Tv in the room wasn't entirely necessary but it was a nice gesture. Only problem were the bathrooms which could do with a spruce up but for a hostel it was more than what I expected and would recommend to friends, family and strangers.

• 31st Mar 2014

I can't remember EVER being in a hostel that did not have personal lockers in the room. The staff were very nice to hold my valuables at the front desk for me, but that isn't the same as having control over my own things in a locker in my room. This was the biggest drawback to this hostel.

It was literally a hotel, good location if you are just focusing on downtown LA

Everything was fine except the location - a couple blocks from Skid Row. Hundreds of homeless and/or mentally ill people on the streets near there. I felt a little wary of walking around at night, but during the day it was OK. Interesting to be near the Fashion and Flower districts. Easy walking to several good restaurants. One strange thing: We NOT figure out how to turn out the overhead pendant light in our room! So we just slept with a glowing orange light on...

• 26th Oct 2013
  • slthrasher

there was no place to lock your values when not in the room

The hostel is great, too bad the surrounding area is not. I would have loved to stay longer but I didnt like the area, especially at night.

Very clean

It is a very nice place to stay but it´s more a hotel then a hostel. Don't go there if you wanne meet people, it is hard because you only see people in the lobby . The room was good, but the breakfast was very basic.

• 26th Aug 2013
  • Belgium

The hotel was great, the only think is that they ask for a force Credit card paydown, they did not accept my debit card. Until very late at night.

Great location although not far from Skid Row and intimidating after dark. No real social area and not a great breakfast. 1 bunk dorms with TV were fantastic.

Everything was excellent, except for the showers. No ventilation, really old, definetely in need of upgrading.

• 22nd Aug 2013