Stayokay Amsterdam Vondelpark Reviews

Zandpad 5, 1054 GA, Amsterdam, Netherlands

No atmosphere and no wifi in the rooms. Beds were uncomfortable and the price was way too high for what this place is worth. Good breakfast though.

Dear guest, thanks you for the compliments about breakfast. We are working of WiFi in the rooms. At the moment there is wifi in the communual area's like our lobby and in the bar upstairs.

Clean hostel with great buffet breakfast. Issues were that wifi was not available in the room, the common area was not a great place to meet other travellers as everyone was only there to use the wifi. This hostel says that it has a kitchen but it doesn't.

Dear guest thanks for the compliment about breakfast. We are improving wifi availebility in the hostel. I've checked our website but can't find where we mention we have a kitchen. If you can tell us where you've read this we will change this. We've got a bar where people can buy snacks and drinks, but no guestkitchen.

Free breakfast is amazing!! The staff are so kind and helpful and knowledgeable. It's also very clean and has great facilities.

Dear guest thank you for the nice comments. And yes we have to agree; our staff can tell you lot's about Amsterdam. Hope to see you again.

Thought it was very expensive, but overall a good hostel

• 31st Oct 2014

Dear guest. Our pricing is comparable to similar properties in the area and we feel we provide good value given our central location and extensive facilities. We regret that this was not your impression. You were booked into a 6 bedded dorm , perhaps good to know for next time, we also have 10-20 bedded dorms, which is cheaper.

The wifi is insufficient for a hostel of this size. Also the amount of plugs in the hostel are also very limited.

• 30th Oct 2014

Stayokay was a great place to stay. The man with the beard at the front desk was SO helpful. He literally helped my buddy and me plan out half of our trip (took about 30 minutes). He was so nice and full of wonderful suggestions.

• 30th Oct 2014

Wow, great to hear. We will tell 'the man with the beard' about your positive reaction and hope to see you again!

Great location, super friendly and helpful staff and very secure. It's more geared towards families, so you will see a lot of kids and younger people. The only thing I didn't like was no power plugs by the beds.

Stayokay Amsterdam Vondelpark was situated in a nice area of Amsterdam AWAY from the red light district. It was close to many shops and restaurants. The room was pretty small. The bathroom is in the room, it is clean - the shower is spacious. The most annoying thing is that there isn't any Wifi in the dorm rooms. They have bicycles for rent for 11E which isn't bad - make sure you have cash for the deposit on the bikes. The breakfast however is 5 star. It is all organic and delicious!! Yum!

Wifi only available in public areas, not available in te rooms which was annoying. Overall, good place.

• 25th Oct 2014

The hostel is great except for the big lines to have breakfast. Wi fi only for common areas.

Wifi was awful in the hostel, it never worked in the main area which made it extremely difficult to catch up with friends, send emails etc. The hostel itself was very large but the common room was not so there was nearly never any place to sit. Also - towels, lockers etc. were higher prices than it claimed when I booked which was definitely a turn off. The beds weren't made when we got there and there were stains on the mattresses which grossed me out.

• 25th Oct 2014

Thanks for your feedback and we're sorry to hear we didn't meet your expectation on some aspects. Lockers and towels are €4,50.- this is no secret, we provide this as an extra service and always inform our guests about needing/bringing one. The matresses are usually clean, if not guest can come to the desk and we'll be happy to provide a new one. We will take all your comments into account and try to work on it. I hope you had a good time in Adam anyways :)

StayOkay Vondelpark hosted many fellow young travellers that were eager to hang out and socialize. This hostel is huuuuge, but in a good way. I recommend the 4 person dorm! Breakfast is unbelievable. Location is fantastic. They sell reduced tickets to the Heinken Experience (a must see) and the cruise tour (another must). But bring your own towels cuz they charge 4.5€ for one :P

This was a ginormous hostel right in a very central location in Amsterdam. They have an AWESOME free breakfast, and tons of discounts on sightseeing and various tours. A small downside of this hostel is that they only have WiFi in the main lounge, not in rooms; only 3 plug-ins in a 6/7 person room; and our washroom continuously smelled like stale pee (room B2.03). Overall, though, I would recommend it!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Happy to hear you liked it overall and that you find our breakfast awesome too! I regret hearing about the washroom, next time: please come by the reception and we'll see what we can do for you. Regarding the wifi, soon it will be available in the rooms as well! We hope to see you back another time in Amsterdam.

I really enjoyed my stay! The staff were super friendly and helpful, the location was great, only a 20 minute walk to the center and just down the road from most of the museums; i hardly used the trams! Many thanks!

StayOkay was a hostel environment I'm not particularly used to and I don't mean this in a positive way. The hostel is MASSIVE and the predominant demographic consists of herds upon herds of pre-teens, children, and their parents. I am a 22-year-old on a trip by myself and it was nearly impossible to meet anyone my age or who shared my experience. I recommend to families and youngsters, not twenty-year-old independent travelers.

Hello there. We regret your stay wasn't the greatest. We do cater to different type of groups, of which the individual traveller is an important one. We have a bar, walking tour and pubcrawl to meet others. We hope you had a enjoyable stay despite above.

Whilst the location is very good this hostel lacks atmosphere big time. It's a massive complex with 500+ beds and thus feels very impersonal and almost sterile. The hostel was frequented by lots of school classes on excursions and big travel groups. This combined with no real communal areas except several sofas in the lobby area made it very hard to meet people for solo travellers. There was no internet in the rooms which I believe in this day and age should be standard.

Hello there. Thanks for the compliments regarding the location. We do also cater to schoolgroups, but always try to keep the balance with individual bookings. September and October this year was quite busy with groups, but also lots of indi-travellers. We have a bar and a walking tour departing the lobby daily @ 10:40 to meet others. We regret we did not live up to your expectation on your stay.

Nice hostel with no atmosphere. As a solo travelling this was a nice hostel, perfectly located but with no atmosphere it was totally ruined. Lots of school groups and families seem to stay at this place. Has the potential to be a great hostel but just doesn't quite do it for a solo traveller.

The location was perfect and the facilities were super good! BUT there's a lot of school groups! they kinda take over of all the common area (that is the only place that you can get internet btw) For a solo traveler is not the best place to meet new people.

Hello there. Thanks for the compliments regarding the facilities. We do also cater to schoolgroups, but always try to keep the balance with individual bookings. October this year was quite busy with groups, but also lots of indi-travellers.

Rooms and location are good. However, the place is FULL of 14 year olds who seem to be on their first sleep over ever. The bar area is full of them hanging out, the lobby is as well, and you hear them knocking on each other's doors ALL THE TIME. Not a good place to meet people, and there is no soap to wash your hands with in the rooms. I wouldn't recommend this as a place to stay while backpacking, it is the definition of a "youth hostel".

Hello there. Thanks for the compliments regarding the room and location. We do also cater to schoolgroups, but always try to keep the balance with individual bookings. October this year was quite busy with groups, but also lots of indi-travellers. @ check-in we give everybody a piece of paper with information. On it is also written we kindly ask everyone to be quiet in the rooms after 22:00 o'clock. Reception can always be informed and we can talk/ask groups to quiet it down after 22:00.

Extremely secure! I Was only here for one night but it wasaverage. The sinks are beside the bedsand there is no paper towel to dry your hands so there was a gross pile of water on the floor. The beds are very clean though and overall the facilities were good. They could use better lighting going down the narrow road towards the building.

Hi there. We chose not to put paper towels in the room cause a wastage. In case of piles of water on floor, please tell reception and then we'll fix/clean such things straight away. Thanks for the overall good comments.