Step Inn Guest House and Hostel Reviews

No.35 Jalan Pudu lama, Off jalan Pudu, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

This hostel is your average cheap hostel. Only one plug set, ok ok cleanliness of the bathroom and average kitchen, although they do provide toasts with butter and jam for breakfast. Location is ok ok but it is walking distance to metro and Chinatown. Very close to bus stop though, if you're going to a bus station. However, the staff are fantastic, very helpful and most certainly know their stuff.

I suppose it's good value for KL. Location is great but rooms and facility's are basic and looking very warn down now. Staff was very welcoming and very very helpful so thank you. A good backpacker option but only for a night or two. I personally wouldnt stay here again

What really makes this hostel is the atmosphere and the staff. The two guys on the reception were so helpful and without their insights into the city and a list of places to go I don't think Kula Lumpur would have been as amazing.

Awesome staff! Helpful to a fault from the moment we arrived. Even though I'd accidentally booked the wrong date, they accommodated my wife and I. We booked a private double, they nearly gave us the family room (way more $) just so we'd have more privacy. Ended up having an open double room. Gave detailed map and directions everywhere. Tips on food, attractions, what was worth it, where to avoid, cheap meals. Hilarious sense of humour. Easy to find. Clean. Great value. Would stay again!

Everything was excellent! Tips, attention and availability! Super friendly and welcoming! Thank you for everything!

• 13th Jun 2014
  • Portugal

Staff: The staff at Step Inn is the main reason to stay there. They are all so nice, funny and helpful.Thank you!!!! Location: The location is perfect. We never had to take a taxi Everything is within walking distance Tea and Coffee all day,simple Breakfast ( Toast,butter,jam),One free meal,Free Towels - Construction site next to the Hostel pretty loud - Not all rooms are equipped with a mosquito net and it gets pretty warm In the rooms without air con -Only one plug in 2p room

I was not happy about security in particular. At times there was no-one on the desk and it would have been easy for anyone to enter the upstairs area. The hostel was not particularly clean - walls, floors and showers in particular.

• 11th Jun 2014

It's basic but you get exactly what is described, so no complaints. I enjoyed my stay here. The staff are helpful and friendly. It's a fairly easy walk to Bukit Bintang and other attractions, and easy to get to bus/train stations for when you move on. Good if you're only staying in KL a short time.

Spartan rooms but clean, helpful friendly staff, good location. Ok for price in central KL

Always return to Steps Inn throughout my RTW travel transitting through Malaysia. I love their free baggage storage policy. I like two hostels in KL, that is Steps Inn and the another one near Pasir Seni LRT but they charge for bag storage which is why I go to Steps Inn. Alan the Boss is awesome!

Great hostel in an excellent location! Staff are super friendly and incredibly knowledgable and willing to assist with any query you have. Free food nightly at the Hindu temple down the street is a bonus. This will be the only place i stay if i return to KL.

The staff were amazing very helpful and friendly. The location is in the middle of the city so very easy to get about to the sights. Only bad thing which was no fault of the hostel is that next door was a construction site which our room was facing so no long lay ins .

We had a great time with Step Inn - mostly because Dominic was super helpful. He caught us as we were about to head out on the town for the first time and called us over for a 20 minute chat about the best places to go/things to do in KL, which was appreciated because we're too cool for school and wouldn't normally ask for that kind of help.

• 23rd May 2014

The American staff member was fantastic. We stayed only one night in KL and he recommended an entire itinerary for us and made the stay worthwhile. The "Basic Double Bed" room was simple and the ceiling fan is strong enough not to need air con at all. Beds are a bit rickety on top bunk. Doors on the third floor are left open all the time which meant that construction workers next door could see (stare at) you getting out of the shower and using the sinks. Location is good, staff are great!

The receptionists are really really helpful super kind and competent!!!

Best staff ever! The guys in the front desk know everything about the city, and are eager to help. Highlight to the 20min explanation from Dominic in the morning =) In the evening, the couches are the perfect place to interact with the other travelers, and feel at ease in a home atmosphere.

BED BUGS BED BUGS

• 2nd May 2014

Hi We do our best to keep our rooms clean and disinfect them once a month, but bed bugs are a guest house's worst enemy. Unfortunately, due to our high volume of guests, from all over the world, we cant keep the little guys from coming along. They like to hide in clothes and bags. But, I apologize for any inconvenience and we will l do our best to increase our inspections of all the rooms. Cheers Step Inn Management

My travel experience in Malaysia wouldn't be half as good without the people in the hostel. They were very, very friendly and helpful and recommended the best places in Malaysia. Thumbs up to them! Good value for money, super convenient location. I recommend this hostel for anyone who values travel over luxury! :)

• 1st May 2014
  • India

Staff lovely. Great facilities. Marked down as not very clean, everywhere a bit grubby and run down. Kitchen surface covered in ants which isn't ideal. Shower was hot, bed was comfy. Clean towel and blanket provided.

Hi Thanks for the compliments about our staff and facilities, we really appreciate them. We do our best help our guests with whatever we can. Since we are a budget guest house, all our areas are very basic but we do our best to keep them clean. We really enjoyed having you, and if you ever return back to KL, you always have a bed at Step Inn. Cheers Step Inn Management

been a repeated guest of this hostel, almost never have a problem with this hostel :)

Hi, Thanks for the kind words and thank you for coming back so many times, its great having you. As you know, you always have a bed here at Step Inn. Cheers Step Inn Management.

View all Kuala Lumpur Hostels