Student Residences Queen Margaret University Reviews

Musselburgh, East Lothian, Edinburgh, Scotland

You know what facilities you're getting when you book a student hostel, even if today's students are luxurious beasts with en suite shower. The staff were very helpful, and knowledgeable about local transport (23.13 last train Edinburgh to Musselburgh, 10 mins; once an hour night buses 45mins). Tea and coffee topped up. All Fine.

• 6th Aug 2014

I stayed Twin room with a friend of mine. Here is very very good except Location. Once we told them to arrive so late beforehand, the guardsman waited and took us safely in spite of midnight. The room was like an apartment; silently and cleanly. Kitchen was also good. You have to check the train and bus time in advance; in the morning there is no train for 2 hours.

Great place, clean, quiet, awesome kitchen, nice bathroom, super friendly staff. I have to use a key and a card to get in, that was kind of a hassle, and location is a little out of the way.

Good place to stay

• 17th Aug 2013
  • Vietnam

Typical student halls, clean and secure, nothing fancy but did the job. Fine location next to train station and also a regular bus. Only ten mins on train to Edinburgh.

Very clean and decent facility. The only disadvantage is the location, it takes 10 minutes with the train and half an hour with the bus to get to central Edinburgh.

• 17th Aug 2013

I had a private room, it was clean and large. Staff are very helpful. I had very nice sleep, no noise or anything like that (unlike other hostels), no breakfast included, they provided some tea bags in the kitchen, I say them at night but there was nothing there in the morning! Location is not convenient. The bathroom is tiny. Shower was too hot, couldn't control temperature. Internet didn't work for me. I didn't need this but for other people, please note there is no TV in the room.

Price was good considering alternatives during the Edinburgh festival, but otherwise would be too expensive. Far away from the city centre (it's not even technically Edinburgh anymore), but we'll connected via buses. There was a kitchen and coffee making facilities, but for the price I would have also expected pots, pans and crockery, etc. Self catering was not possible. All round, I would recommend if you want to go to Edinburgh during the fest and save some money, but not really otherwise.

The person at reception was helpful and kind. Rooms were large and comfortable. Campus was easy to navigate.

• 10th Aug 2013

The rooms were clean and very spacious. The showers were a little strange as there's only one setting (hot) and you have to keep pushing the button to keep the water going (there was no knob). The staff was friendly and very courteous. The only thing that wasn't great was that the location was about 30-45 minutes away from the city center of Edinburgh. But the bus comes every few minutes so that didn't bother me too much. I would definitely recommend this hostel to anyone!

• 9th Aug 2013

If they could have provided pots,pans,spoons,plates, microwavable plastic containers for porridge etc it would have been better indeed. Also the microwave had showna spark on first day evening when we tested it without nothing in it. This made us report to them to get a new one/replacement one.The one that was replaced was found to be not in working condition ! This we found out at 11:30 pm that night after we returned from the fringe festival!

YOU HAVE TO TAKE TIME IN THE UNI.

The QMU accommodation really gave us the chance to see the suburban area of Edinburgh,which was what we didn't expect. It was an awesome experience of staying!

• 18th Aug 2012
  • Taiwan

My probs in getting to the hostel by public transport meant I was forced to delay my departure by one day because Sunday transport into Edinburgh did not leave early enough to get into the bus station for 7.00 a.m. Choosing to stay in hotel-type accomodation might have improved my chances of getting a good sleep except that my fellow c0-habitees of the flat I s assigned arrived after 3.00 a.m banging the doors because they didn't bother to turn the locks with a key to ensure peaceful sleep.

• 18th Aug 2012

My 12 day stay at the Queen Margaret University University was the most miserable time of my life .The rooms I was offered were too far to walk for the breakfast I paid for and the train station is not 2 minutes walk as stated on the Website . I paid for wifi access and the staff couldn't get it to work and I was never offered a refund. I think it is a disgrace that a publicly funded organisation can mislead and overcharge disabled guests like this .

• 17th Aug 2012
  • Scotland

There were spiders many spiders in the room, kill the spiders!

Very expensive seeing poor proximity to city center (bus or train needed for transport). Staff and atmosphere average. Clean and secure though. Also payment required in advance less appealing.

Absolutely wonderful staying there. It is real expensive but you have your own bathroom and bed just like a college dorm. They provide clean bed linen and towels and soap and stuff. It's real quiet. It's also easy to get to the city from there because a bus passes almost 24 hours by there and brings you to the heart of Edinburgh. Only draw back is money really and the 25 mins needed to spend on the bus but overall, fantastic if you're looking for a quiet, clean place.

The kitchen was not supplied as it was written (no plates, no kettle, no microwave, no mugs). And kitchen was dirty (I understand that is resposibility of gests but anyway such was first impression). The nice thing was that after we asked abbout fittings we were given new kettle and mugs. I put good mark for cleanliness because the room was clean.

• 19th Aug 2011
  • Russia

Really recommend this place. It is surrounded by lovely countryside. Rooms are comfortable, regular modern uni rooms. It is directly next to the train station which is only a few mins journey from edinburgh, so a good location. My only tip would be to check timetables in advance so you know what train you are aiming for.

« first « Prev 1 2 3