Sul Porto Reviews

via Colombo 25, Riomaggiore, Cinque Terre, Italy

At night there was a lot of noise, people talking and a bell sound almost every half and hour, it was very difficult to sleep. The room was just a bed

A simple hostel that, as many have described, is really an agency that owns various houses around the town. It is just luck whether you stay in a good or bad one. Mine didn't have a view but was also quite clean, no mould and had fast Wifi. The lady who worked there was super nice and very helpful. It is up quite a steepish hill (the main road) so if you don't want to walk up a hill every day to get to your bed then probably best to give this one a miss.

First, it's important to preface the review by acknowledging that very little time should be spent in the room, as Riomaggiore and the surrounding Cinque Terre area is absolutely breathtaking. The apartment that we stayed in was near the boat loading zone, which was a great location, but the room was packed with beds (and no lockers). The bathroom was ridiculously small and served 8 people. Wifi is only available at the place you check-in, which is at the very top of the steep hill.

DO NOT book this hostel. Emailed them 2 weeks ahead to inform of 1 day early arrival. Got no response and when I arrived was told that a no response to my email meant that no room was available. Decided to stay with them regardless, came the next day for my original reservation of 2 nights, but asked if I could stay for just 1 night instead since I only planned for 2 days in cinque terre. The lady became very hostile and threatened to charge me regardless if I went to another hostel. Terrible.

We stayed as a cpl for 3 nights in riomaggiore. The staff were nice, but had a mix up so she upgraded us for free for the 1st night for no extra charge to an awsome apartment overlooking the harbour. Buuut for the other two night she changed us to another room which was in an awsome location BUT it was seriously damp and mouldy! the dehumidifier stopped working and we both got really chest sick from the first night staying in the room... I'd stay again but not in the 2nd room!

It's one of the worst experience in hostel. I felt that I was sent by agency. We stayed in a simple house rather than a professional hostel. It's totally different from the picture shows without any view. Room is not so clean and had no Wifi.

Easily found the office. Trekking to our room was another story! Was located about 1km up a hill and steep stairs. House was lovely though. Spacious. Private room with shared bathroom and lounge room. Small garden. TV. No wifi in rooms though. Nice couple gave advice and info on the national park (some of the walking tracks were closed).

Staff was very friendly. Location was as good as it gets. Balcony overlooking the marina. Steps from the beach and restaurants. Only criticism is with the bathroom (bathroom door is a towel, no lock).. Overall I was very happy with my stay and accommodations.

Most disappointing accommodation out of a 6 week Italy trip. Sul Porto's description of facilities on internet accommodation sites were misleading and lacked informative detail. We had no access to a kitchen. Our room was located in a random building well away from reception and had only a small window that let little light and air in, needless to say no view. Stayed for 5 nights and our towels were never changed, mini fridge was room-temperature and wifi worked sporadically at reception only.

• 25th Jun 2014

Location was absolutely incredible. I was in an apartment turned dorm located in an alley/stone stairway which lead right down to the small harder ...you could hear the waves... Amazing!!! Bathroom was good staff was ok. All in all definitely worth it!

Being in the town of Riomaggiore, it is advised to spend as little time in your room as possible due to the incredible town and atmosphere that surronds you. Sol Porto was a decent place to stay, a little hard to find. There was no wifi in our room but that didn't pose a huge challenge for my group. In my opinion could've been cheaper for what we got, but the experience I had in the town could not be ruined my an average hostel experience.

This was the best experience while in Italy. Friendly, helpful staff and the most amazing location. Highly HIGHLY recommend.

• 7th Jun 2014

This was not a hostel it was an apartment with a ton of beds placed randomly. The apartment was small due to all the beds in it. In the apartment there was a full equipped kitchen which was nice to have. The location was perfect but did not have a view of the water but was located 100 yards from the water. I wouldn't recommend this hostel to anyone because it was not comfortable with that many people in a small apartment.

The staff was great! It turns out the main office is just that - a main office. You go there to check in and pay, and then they bring you to your hostel somewhere within Riomaggiore. They own several apartments in town (not that it's that big of a deal... it's a pretty small town). The apartment itself was great and Riomaggiore was my favorite town of the 5 - I would definitely stay there again! Clean, convenient, cute, functional, great place to stay while exploring 5Terre.

The second day I was there the room was overbooked, luckily two girls that were traveling together split a bed so that I had a place to sleep.

This isn't exactly a hostel as there is absolutely no kitchen area, but that's fine if you're not cooking. Also, one thing to note is that they manage a few properties so you may get somewhere close to the train station or for my case, my group of 5 had to hike many stairs up to get to our apartment. There's no wifi except for the reception office.

Didn't get a very nice welcome from the owner, the dorm room had no windows, it was dingy and smelt of mould. Wouldn't recommend it.

We'll it was pretty dark as the windows is always closed.

We absolutely loved this hostel! The staff was warm and welcoming and extremely friendly, making us feel at home right away. We arrived slightly early and even though our room was not ready yet, they offered to hold our bags at the front desk while we toured around and ate lunch. Our bedroom was bright, lively, and had an absolutely amazing view! The bathrooms and common area were very clean as well. We would HIGHLY recommend this hostel to anyone staying in Cinque Terre.

• 9th May 2014

The apartment was very cramped, the beds were close to eachother and it was very hard to sit up in the bottom bunk. The toilet, shower and apartment were very clean but no lockers-which is fine depending on your roommates! Overall it served its purpose being a place to sleep and meet people. Be sure to check out if any of the trailheads are closed before choosing a village to stay at in CT-when we went every trailhead besides the one furthest away was closed making it inconvenient to get around!

View all Cinque Terre Apartments