Sumac Chaska Hostel Reviews

Medium Street, 106, Chaupi Calle, Ollantaytambo, Peru

Enjoyed our stay. Hostel was clean and comfortable.

I was very put off by the showers. When trying to turn the shower off after turning it in I wasn't able to get my fingers within an inch of the handle without feeling an electric charge (it hurt! Different from a static shock) I left and the staff were friendly and turned the shower off for me. There were no lockers for your valuables and not even a safe behind the desk. Towels have to be rented and there were very few people staying there. Staff was friendly though and the kitchen nice, clean.

Our stay at Chaska Hostel was simply great. Ms Carmen, was a great host/owner. From the beginning she help us with our needs, the family room in which we stay was comfy and clean. The double bed was good for my in-laws, and with my wife we were even able to share the lower bunk-bed as it was quite large compared to others. We had hot water all day and night. Finally, Ms Carmen made us breakfast bags to take in the train as we leave really early to Machu Picchu, we didn't see that coming, thanks!

• 15th Aug 2015
  • Colombia

Staff was a little grumpy at first, but in substantial better mood the following morning. Facilities are ok, but a bit run down: we got a room with a big hole in the floor. In total ok place to stay, but even when compared to Cuzco wayyyy overpriced. I would recommend not booking ahead but going to Ollantaytambo and look for a place with better rates, as there are dozens of accommodations.

I liked the layout of the hostel. There are lots of areas to relax outside of the room. However, I wouldn't say this is a backpackers' hostel. There are no lockers in the room. There was one shower/bathroom on the second floor and there was no toilet paper in the morning. The breakfast was two flat bread rolls and jam/butter. I was able to book a collectivo straight to Hydroelectrica through the hostel, which was nice. I would try a different hostel if I came back to Ollantaytambo.

One of my favorite hostels on my Peru trip. Clean and cool courtyard. Only complaint I have is that the hostel receptionist was a bit too touchy. My travel partner noticed as well. I felt a bit like my private space was violated. He was being a bit too flirtatious in terms of touch for someone he just met.

The hostel is located in a very good spot, close to the main square and all shops and restaurants. My only comment is the water from the showers was not hot enough, it was barely warm, and it is important on the cold mountain nights. Especially if you use the shared bathroom since there's a lot of wind coming in because the door didn't close well and not all the windows were able to shut. That's something important to improve.

Beautiful hostel with friendly helpful staff. Morning coffee was fantastic. Showers were scalding hot once they show you how to use it. Ollantaytambo is a fantastic little town I would highly recommend staying there over Cusco.

Its a necessity to stay a night in Ollantaytambo. Any street you walk down is of Incan origin. Walking the streets at night is the closest thing to being back in the days of the empire.. This hostel is in a a really cool building with everything you would want. Pretty quiet when we were there, which is good and bad, depending on what you are looking for.

• 7th Jul 2015

The beds were really comfortable here and even though we booked a 6 bed mixed dorm room we had the room to ourselves which was nice. I didn't see lockers and the key is supposed to be communal, which made the security only average in my opinion. But I really enjoyed this hostel. I had some trouble with getting the hot water working, but my other friend was able to figure it out. If you have any questions about how to work the showers, I would suggest asking the front desk to help you first.

Thank you for your review, feedback and advise to other guests. Much appreciated. We hope you enjoy the rest of your trip, kind regards from Sumac Chaska.

This charming hostel and inn is located at the edge of Cusco's colonial district, and with the high altitude you may find yourself huffing to make it back. Nevertheless, it's brimming with charm and features an excellent staff. Showers are hot and it's a quiet environment, perfect for digesting the beauty of Cusco after a long day.

The staff was so warm and nice :) The first we can't enjoy our breakfast because we have to leave too early, but the second day was delicious. They should change the address in hostel world because it says 106, but it's actually 416.

• 29th Jun 2015
  • Colombia

Thanks for your review, we are happy that U enjoy our place we hope you also enjoy ur takeaway breakfast for your Machupicchu trip. Regards

Very helpful staff and nicely decorated female dorm. Charming property in a good location.

Gracias, Espero no sea la ultima vez que vengas por esta ciudadela Inca. Besos!..

I had a very pleasant stay however the room was very dark (no windows) and the lamp shade over the main light didn't help. All good- just meant better to spend the whole day out and about.

• 10th Jun 2015

This place is really great! The staff were so nice and helpful and gave us a little tour. There is an area on the roof where you get a great view of the city and all of the ruins surrounding you. Hot water (run it at a trickle to get it to heat up... after that you can turn up the pressure and it'll be good), nice room (though we had no window). No wifi, but they do have laundry service. They kept our bags while we were at Machu Picchu for no extra cost.

Thanks for ur nice review, don't f r get that U are welcome any time. Regards

6 bed room would have been very cramped if fully booked, as there is nowhere to put luggage. Luckily it wasnt busy so it was not an issue for me. Cute building and courtyards.

Thank you for your review, yes you are right, our dorm rooms are very cute, cottage style rooms, built by little Peruvians lol. They are never full as we have 3 dorm rooms so we can spread people out. Thank you for staying with us. All the best, Sumac Chaska

Stay here! The owners are friendly, helpful and genuine people! They helped us plan hikes to isolated ruins (Pumamarka), kept our bags in a locked room while we were at Machu Picchu, and helped us organize an affordable private tour to other areas of the sacred valley. Clean rooms, sunny courtyard and common room for meeting other travelers. Views of all the local ruins can be seen from their rooftop!

Thank you for your kind review, we do our best 😊 Hope to see you again some day at Sumac Chaska Xx

Staff was great! Changed our room after booking error with no problem. English speaking staff very informative. Hostel was beautiful! The hostel was the nicest one we have stayed in in Peru. Only draw-back was poor water pressure.

Thank you for leaving us a review 😊 We are happy that you liked our place and enjoyed all this beautiful Inca town has to offer. Sorry about the water pressure, that is general hostel standard here. Our new rooms (available from June) have gas showers for those with a larger travelling budget. All the best Sumac Chaska

Great, cozy little hostel! The staff was so welcoming. Room was nice and the shower was nice a hot. I would definitely recommend ollaytayntambo (and this hostel!!) for a day of exploration and a restful night before or after a visit to Machu Picchu. Lots to see around this great town!

Gracias: We are glad U enjoy ur stay, please come again. Sumacchaska

Great location near the town square in a fabulous little town. Great advice from the hostel owners about where to eat, where to go, local lore and legends. Also a delicious breakfast and beautiful rooms.

Thanks!... U r really nice and we are pleased that you annoy ur stay and make the most of this beautiful town. Best wishes

View all Ollantaytambo Hostels