Summer Hostels - Cowgate Reviews

Ziggurat - Wellgate House, 200 Cowgate, Edinburgh, Scotland

This was cancelled by hostelworld or the hostel due to me origanally booking 1 night for me and my friend for new year but because they are so greedy and need to be making money then my booking got cancelled as the max nights are 3 or 4 nights over this time of yr! Ruined all my new yr plans! Annoyed and unhappy scottish citizen !

• 31st Dec 2013
  • Scotland

It is new, has high standard mattrasses, and every room has its own bathroom, the windows have double glass, excellent. The staff was a bit strange though and there is no wifi (just lan cables, so if you brought a laptop it works, but they refused to give out the code for the wifi network which had a strong signal but I could not access with the mobile phone). Also I would not leave luggage, it is put below a staircase on the ground floor and anybody can access it, as there are no entry controls

One good thing about the hostel was it was close to the train station and major attractions. But the cleanliness needed to be improved as the room was dusty. The water pressure was low and at times water supply was cut off. What botherd us most was the noise from the bars nearby which made us unable to sleep even after 3:00am ! Surely it was cheaper compared with other accommodations, it was worth paying more staying away from the city centre.

We were very happy with the hostel, every room had its own bathroom and there was a spacious kitchen with all necessary utensils. However, they failed to clean our room and dirty sheets were still on the bed. But the staff was very friendly and accommodating, so the problem was solved quickly.