Summer House Backpackers Reviews

153 Forbes Street, Wooloomooloo, Sydney, Australia

I had a great time staying at Summerhouse. It's a good location, with a good atmosphere. The room was really hot, even with the fans on. The bathroom situation was pretty abysmal, and that would be my only one really big complaint. They never really felt clean. Too few showers for that many people. I don't think there ever wasn't a lineup to shower. The two new showers are awesome, but weren't in use for most of my stay. I'm sure they will help alleviate the lineups. Otherwise, I had fun. :)

Staff are very friendly and helpful, the location is within walking distance of the city. However there was no where near enough toilet and shower facilities for the amount of people in the hostel and the cleanliness of them were horrendous. The kitchen was OK but again not the cleanest.

It is a nice hostel, Natasha is helpful, probably one of the bests in Sydney. though a few things bothered me. it seems that the hostel is made specially for Germans.The hostel is full of it.So not really best place for an international meeting.People just started to talk to me in German as they assume everyone in there speaks German. corridors smell like stinky feet, sink in room18 dirty showers don't seem to be well enough cleaned and not often enough see the number of people using it daily.

That's my second stay in this hostel and if I'll go back in Sydney one day, I'll come back in this hostel. Really good place to stay: clean rooms beds and showers, friendly staff, nice courtyard, free wifi, free breakfast...

One of my best stay in Australia. Friendly staff, clean hostel with a courtyard, good breakfast, wifi and cheap rooms.

Such a friendly and welcoming hostel! I had so much fun, cannot fault it at all!

This hostel was great only stayed one night and I got upgraded from a dorm to a private room for free. The staff are all lovely and very informative, really great place to stay in Sydney at a small budget! Would definitely stay again when visiting Sydney :)

Beds were comfortable and the room was a decent size. The ceiling fan definitely made a difference. Nowhere near enough bathrooms for number of people there though. Also the room keys could opebt every single door as well as the main one, so not the best. However there were lockers in each room. Location was good, surprisingly quiet for Kings Cross and I could see the harbour bridge from my window. Overall an enjoyable stay with just the lack of bathroom facilities really letting it down.

• 29th Jan 2015
  • Scotland

Really cool hostel. Friendly staff and easy to meet people!

Great hostel overall, only thing that let's it down slightly is upstairs toilets are old and have seen better days but downstairs ones are recently refurbished and I'm sure the others will be soon. Lovely staff, probably the best I've ever had in a hostel, great communal areas, really big. Reccommend hands down

the room smelled like horse stable, no AC or good air flow :(..they dont seem to clean the rooms at all, there is stuff all over the floor from the previous backpackers (dirty clothes, towels, stuff they left behind). the breakfast is too late, starts at 9 am on the weekends, also the reception hours suck.on the bright side, the shower was clean and the bed was comfy.also breakfast was good, nutella, jam, peanut butter & milk with cereal

It was a nice hostel, with a good vibe, and overall pretty clean. The beds were amazing! The only comment I would have is that there weren't enough toilets

I was forced to make a booking for 10 days because of the NYE period, but that was fine. The hostel fee for one night on 31/12, 1/1 were 3 times of the normal price, which was ridiculously expensive. Apart from the price, the service and the facilities were of average hostel.quality.

• 29th Dec 2014
  • Hong Kong

Amazing! I booked this hostel with very little time and research and it exceeded my expectations immensely! The staff are welcoming and the guests as well! The perfect hostel to stay at if you are travelling alone and want to make travel buddies!

• 27th Dec 2014

We stayed here for 11 nights over Christmas in an 8 bed mixed dorm. The room was very very hot most of the time. We knew it didn't have aircon when we booked. The ceiling fans do help but the windows can't be adjusted to get more air in which would be useful. The staff are good and the owner was on site a lot and was really helpful and friendly. The kitchen and bathrooms were good and were cleaned regularly. Wifi is good in all areas. Good hostel with nice atmosphere. Big lockers too in dorms.

Summerhouse is fantastic I have been here a month and will stay for a couple more. There is a great vibe here which together with the cleanliness and facilities makes it such a good place to stay. A great mix of partying when you want and chilling if you don't want to party. And the location is perfect to get around the city and safe to walk home to every night. I would recommend it to all my friends and even managed to move one in!

Good hostel. Nice common room with TV and DVDs, free Wifi and computer access, even free breakfast! Close to Kings Cross, 5 minutes walk to Coles. Good staff who tries to help you. Only downside is that the kitchen doesn't open before 8AM so it's impossible to prepare breakfast with one's food if you want to leave early (to the Blue Mountains for instance). And $100 for a bed in a 12bed-dorm around New Year's is herendous.

Very chill hostel indeed. Staff is friendly, good kitchen facilities. Good location near Roma station.

With any key you can open all the rooms. Easy but not always safe. Atmosphere was super and had a great time!

not enough bathrooms... and they are really dirty

• 29th Nov 2014