Supertramp Hostel Reviews

Calle Chaskatika, Barrio Las Orquideas, Plaza de la Cultura, Machu Picchu, Peru

First time ever experiencing a "Peeping Tom". This is not the staff's fault or anything to do with management; this is the fault of some male traveller who couldn't control himself. Luckily, I was mostly clothed but it still freaked me out. For the price you get a standard bed, co ed shower facilities, shared computer (1), and plenty of open space on the patio to relax or have a drink. The AM receptionist is wonderful. PM rep, not so much. Expect stinky people who've just returned from MP.

Stayed here for one night before walking up to Machu Picchu. Beds and rooms and nice and spacious, although I don't know how clean my blanket was. Not the greatest atmosphere, but think this is probably because most people only stay for one night. Breakfast starts at 4.30, and they have a nice rooftop bar. No locks on bedroom door, but plenty of lockers, plus they let me shower after checking out.

great place &staff

Great hostel, big, comfy beds and big lockers in the dorms. Free breakfast (with eggs, not just jam and toast!). Would definitely stay there again :)

I don't know what some of these reviews are talking about, maybe some of the shower heads dont work right but my shower was boiling hot and I was in there for a good 20 minutes. The wifi worked fine on the 2nd floor in our room. The restaurant was closed because the cook was on vacation but that seemed to be the only setback. They did all out laundry for 7 soles per kilo (like a dollar per pound)

they lost my reservation and I had to find another place to stay- a "trendy" but poorly run business-it shouldn't be classed as a hostel-it's a boutique hotel with no kitchen, no lockup for valuables and no hot water in the showers

Nice place but 1) no hot water in the showers and the mountain water is very cold 2) no lockup for valuables 3) no kitchen-it has been converted to a restaurant-not suited to people who are travellng for a few months and want to cook their own food 4) my romm was across from the bathrooms/showers with spring loaded doors that slammed all nite long 4) they couldn't find the reservation for my second day until the next morning after I had already paid for another place

One of the best hostels we ever visited. The stuff is very friendly. The hostel has this very charming colored walls everywere what makes it special. The beds were so comfortable that we really had to fight to get up early to see machu picchu. We highly recomend that place.

• 1st Jan 2015
  • Switzerland

The staff wasn't always around. Anyone could have walked in & gone upstairs to the rooms where doors are always left open.

• 31st Dec 2014
  • Singapore

The only real hostel in town, so if you're on a budget this is the place to stay. Breakfast is served from 5.30am too, so perfect if you're starting early for Machu Picchu.

Everyone were really kind and I really enjoy my stay at Supertramp.

• 29th Dec 2014
  • Peru

The staff was very nice and very helpful. The location is good, but the dorm gives on a noisy plaza.

• 26th Dec 2014

Staying here was the biggest mistake of our trip as we wound up getting bed bugs from the hostel, noticing bits the next day. The room reeked of a rotten wet smell. We also found a syringe cap in our bed, leading us to believe that they had not cleaned the sheets. It was loud all night and we had to get up early to do the Huayna Picchu hike. The room we stayed in was also hot and muggy with no ventilation. DO NOT STAY HERE!

Great place. Upstairs rooms are next to the bar so it can get loud, which is tough when you have to wake up early to get to Machu Picchu. Outlets are on the first floor. Staff was always friendly and helpful. Really enjoyed my stay there.

The staff seemed pretty nice when we arrived on Christimas Eve, but the staff got all drunk and the breakfast wasn't ready at 4:30 (the time they say it will be ready) and we had to buy a coke because we didn't want to arrive late on Machu Picchu. The hostel is located near a plaza and it was pretty noisy until 2:30, it was a problem because we had to wake up early. And by the time of the payment, they said that the price I had pay before was lower, though I had showed them the recipe on email.

• 24th Dec 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

All was great, especially they offer breakfast from 4:30 am because guests go to hike Machu Picchu from very early morning. It was really appreciated service. Only thing was hot shower. Water got extremely hot and cold back and forth. There was no way to adjust it.

• 12th Dec 2014

Great Atmosphere, staff people are very kind, always willing to help you out. Restaurant is just amazing, hamburgers are really delicious and original! must eat in there.

After doing the Inca Trek all I wanted was to sleep in (no longer than c/o time) as I was feeling ill from being run down on the trek. Housekeeping had other plans, coming in around 7am blasting Peruvian music on her phone, obviously giving the hint it was time to get up. The street is pretty loud with foot traffic from locals and you can hear every time a chair is moved in the bar, but I think that was the room I was in, rooms further back wouldn't have that problem.

The hostel I gets mixed reviews. Yes it's clean and cozy, but the wifi is poor, staff doesn't interact or seem interested, making it more a home (which they attempt at). The hostel is also away from everything in what seems more residential. The bed was ok but showers mostly cold. The bar is cool but I have to give the biggest props to the restaurant staff.They're very good and happy and make amazing dishes. I would go to the restaurant alone because it's there.

I never leave reviews as I'm very lenient, but my experience was so bad that I feel obligated to do so. If you want a place to have a decent shower and SOME sleep before Machu Picchu, GO ELSEWHERE!!! They have a bar upstairs and they play music that booms all night and people are LOUD, even my earplugs couldn't block them out. I had zero hour of sleep & ended up having an awful day the next day at MP! Their shower was ICE COLD, not even lukewarm. Understaffed and Dirty! Totally not worth it!!

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4