Supertramp Hostel Reviews

Calle Chaskatika, Barrio Las Orquideas, Plaza de la Cultura, Machu Picchu, Peru

The staff was very nice and very helpful. The location is good, but the dorm gives on a noisy plaza.

• 26th Dec 2014

Staying here was the biggest mistake of our trip as we wound up getting bed bugs from the hostel, noticing bits the next day. The room reeked of a rotten wet smell. We also found a syringe cap in our bed, leading us to believe that they had not cleaned the sheets. It was loud all night and we had to get up early to do the Huayna Picchu hike. The room we stayed in was also hot and muggy with no ventilation. DO NOT STAY HERE!

Great place. Upstairs rooms are next to the bar so it can get loud, which is tough when you have to wake up early to get to Machu Picchu. Outlets are on the first floor. Staff was always friendly and helpful. Really enjoyed my stay there.

The staff seemed pretty nice when we arrived on Christimas Eve, but the staff got all drunk and the breakfast wasn't ready at 4:30 (the time they say it will be ready) and we had to buy a coke because we didn't want to arrive late on Machu Picchu. The hostel is located near a plaza and it was pretty noisy until 2:30, it was a problem because we had to wake up early. And by the time of the payment, they said that the price I had pay before was lower, though I had showed them the recipe on email.

• 24th Dec 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Cool hostel in Aguas Calientes, a few minutes walk off the main street - where you don't want to be anyway, so that's perfect. Staff is nice, common areas are good, especially the terrace bar. Can get a bit loud at night due to parties at the bar, but that's what earplugs are for. Breakfast is good too. You'll only get sad overpriced pizzas or burgers in most places, so don't miss eating among the locals at the good chicken braseria just around the corner!

All was great, especially they offer breakfast from 4:30 am because guests go to hike Machu Picchu from very early morning. It was really appreciated service. Only thing was hot shower. Water got extremely hot and cold back and forth. There was no way to adjust it.

• 12th Dec 2014

Great Atmosphere, staff people are very kind, always willing to help you out. Restaurant is just amazing, hamburgers are really delicious and original! must eat in there.

After doing the Inca Trek all I wanted was to sleep in (no longer than c/o time) as I was feeling ill from being run down on the trek. Housekeeping had other plans, coming in around 7am blasting Peruvian music on her phone, obviously giving the hint it was time to get up. The street is pretty loud with foot traffic from locals and you can hear every time a chair is moved in the bar, but I think that was the room I was in, rooms further back wouldn't have that problem.

The hostel I gets mixed reviews. Yes it's clean and cozy, but the wifi is poor, staff doesn't interact or seem interested, making it more a home (which they attempt at). The hostel is also away from everything in what seems more residential. The bed was ok but showers mostly cold. The bar is cool but I have to give the biggest props to the restaurant staff.They're very good and happy and make amazing dishes. I would go to the restaurant alone because it's there.

I never leave reviews as I'm very lenient, but my experience was so bad that I feel obligated to do so. If you want a place to have a decent shower and SOME sleep before Machu Picchu, GO ELSEWHERE!!! They have a bar upstairs and they play music that booms all night and people are LOUD, even my earplugs couldn't block them out. I had zero hour of sleep & ended up having an awful day the next day at MP! Their shower was ICE COLD, not even lukewarm. Understaffed and Dirty! Totally not worth it!!

They let us hang out in the hostel for hours until our train came, after we had already checked out, which a lot of hostels typically don't allow. Two thumbs up for that one guys!!

• 27th Nov 2014

Good place to stay if you're going to Machu Picchu. Affordable and the showers are clean. The rooms were hot and could use some fans and one of our lights were out. Otherwise, pretty friendly staff and guests.

Good choice for avoiding the high prices of Machu Picchu Pueblo. The hostel was pretty full but the staff is quite nice and helpful.

The hot water in the hostel went in and out, which after rigorous Machupichu hiking could be a big disappointment. We also found that the staff ranged from indifferent to outright hostile when accommodating requests.

Nothing exceptional, but solid facilities/service for the price. Could have been a one-off issue but we got eaten alive by bugs at the outdoor bar and in our dorm. Bit of a slow season, and most people are getting ready for early visits to Machu Picchu, but social atmosphere was fairly quiet when we were there. The staff was excellent, helpful and accommodating, and breakfast was good. Still good value for money if you're looking for reasonably priced accommodation in Aguascalientes Caliente.

Staff was friendliy and helpful

This hostel is pretty damn bad. Most people are here for 1 night so early to bed and early to rise. The bar upstairs is pretty noisy, take ear plugs. Breakfast is basic. Wifi is bad if it even works. Staff were unhelpful. The cleaning lady took some stuff from my bed when changing sheets and took ages to get it back. Toilets and showers need more cleaning. If breakfast stuff runs out, tough luck they said. Not enough lockers for beds and some were kept locked by people not even staying there!

Thank you for taking such good care of us!

• 23rd Nov 2014

Although, I booked this hostel because of the good reviews it had, my experience here was a bad one. First, I arrived at a midnight due to a mudslide in San Luis. I checked in, showered, then went out to get something to eat. Upon my return to the hostel, I knocked on the door for about 30 minutes minimum. This was very strange since the manager was asleep on the couch, which was about 10 feet from the door. The next morning,there was no running water, which produced a very bad odor in bathrooms

Peacefull place, with good bedrooms, good showers, and good staff. They have just one computer, so don't expect use it if the hostel is crowded. The breakfast is good, they also offers eggs if you want, and the tea is free all day long. Location is ok, but the things in the supermarket are very expensive, so bring most things you can from your previous city. You can find cheap restaurants though, there is one near the hostel called Puerto Peru, they have menu for 10 soles.

View all Machu Picchu Hostels