Surf City Hostel Reviews

26 Pier Avenue, Hermosa Beach, Los Angeles, USA

Its kinda far from a lot of things... But overall was good. Had the chance to leave from the hostel and in 1 min i was able to see the sun fall from the beach!

Located right by the beach, perfect for surfing. No communal area, there is a tv room but too small to socialise, hence no atmosphere, you are either in your room or on the beach. Not recommended for solo travellers. If you thinking of traveling to downtown or Hollywood from there it takes about 2-3 hours to get there. Clean rooms, free breakfast, friendly staff

Nice little hostel right on the beach. Price is a bit high for the facilities, but I guess the beach pays for itself. Kind of old building. Loud during night and early morning. Bring earplugs if you're a light sleeper. Staff were rad!

Excellent staff, very clean facilities. Met some great people during my stay. The location cant get any better. I could see the beach and the ocean from my bunk bed. Will return!

• 20th Mar 2015

This was my first hostel experience and it couldn't have been better. The staff was super friendly and I couldn't have hoped for a better view of the beach.

• 5th Mar 2015

Great hostel right on Hermosa beach. Only a 30 minute bus ride from LAX airport. Rented a bike and cycled 20km along a safe bike trail along the coast to Venice beach and Santa Monica. Very far from downtown Hollywood and other tourist attractions. Staff were helpful and friendly. Easy to meet other travellers.

Thank you beautiful people of Surf City Hostel - for a very pleasent stay! What makes a good stay at a hostel is mainly the people you get to know and a clean surrounding - this is what we had. It can get a little loud in this area though - so just be prepared for a little party here´n there :) Danke Francis für die hundert Fragen die du steht´s bereit warst zu beantworten! :) We apreciated this a lot!!! ♥⚓♥

• 7th Feb 2015
  • GacelaG

Es war mir eine Freude, Tabitha! :) Ich wünsche euch beiden nur das Beste!

Location....location!!! Right in the middle of all the action in Hermosa Beach. Can't go wrong for the location or price. Nice staff too, very accomodating and welcoming!!!

Great location, right by the beach. Lots of bars and restaurants close by but it wasn't too loud at night.

I WOULD VISIT HERMOSA BEACH JUST TO STAY AT THIS HOSTEL AGAIN!!!

• 27th Jan 2015

This was by far the best experience at a hostel I've had. Truly outstanding. It is the staff that really made the trip. Nick, in particular, was absolutely dedicated to keeping everything together while also promoting a good time with all. Through his efforts, this was much more communal and social than I've seen lately. Of course the beautiful landscape and weather helped. 10/10. Fantastic.

• 25th Jan 2015

Nice staff. Only stayed for a night though so not much more to add

The staff was really helpful in all aspects of our visit, and it's location was perfect for our needs! Would recommend this place for anyone looking for a relatively inexpensive vacation.

• 13th Jan 2015

Nice people made everything lovely :) It is definitely a place I will go for next time I visit L.A.!!!

So helpful, so friendly. Had a great time. thankyou

• 8th Jan 2015

Go and stay there! I will definitely recommend the hostel to my friends! Although it's above a bar, the location is amazing - right on Hermosa Beach, which is super nice! If you want to experience LA's beach life, it's the perfect hostel. Even If you want to do the tourist attractions (Hollywood, Beverly Hills and so on) you will be more than happy to come back to the relaxing hostel after a busy and loud day in Downtown LA.

This hostel is one of the best I have been to. The owner is superfriendly and involved with the life in the hostel. The people are open, interested and enthusiastic. The location is amazing: just next to the beach. I really recommend to stay here, but be warned: you will probably extend your stay:)

• 31st Dec 2014

It was so noisy for the music stage by the side.

We stayed at this hostel before our departure to Australia. While we were there we stayed in a 6rm dorm but we booked for a 4rm. Not sure what the difference in cost was because we forgot to go ask/tell the staff. The room was decent. It was the first hostel I had ever stayed in so I didn't know what to expect. Basically it was outdated but relatively clean. The staff was very helpful with things to do in the area and it was close to shops/restaurants.

• 26th Dec 2014

Perfect location. Right by the beach, nestled in between bars and restaurants. The staff were helpful and friendly. The crowd of guests tended to get rowdy (especially the Aussies). Overall good experience, despite not getting much sleep. Make sure to check out the happy hours at nearby establishments.