Surf City Hostel Reviews

26 Pier Avenue, Hermosa Beach, Los Angeles, USA

I loved this hostel, it was the first stop of a long trip and I was really tired when I arrived. But the atmosphere and the people were so great that I went out and ended up having a blast. It's right on the beach, location could not be better! And the breakfast was amazing, never had such a rich and good breakfast at a hostel before.

Don't expect much in the way of creature comforts here, but the prime location more than makes up for it.

• 15th Aug 2014

I booked two beds there, but after we arrived there we found it's located in between bars and it's very noisy and full of people in the passage way when we arrived there at 11 pm. The guy at the counter said it's fine to just not stay but I need to pay for the deposit, I thought it's fine because I can get the most part of the money back. And we leaved and found another place to stay. After few days, I found I was charged full price and I called their manager, she said I have to pay in full!

• 8th Aug 2014
  • China

This hostel is really well located, right in the middle of the hustle on Pier Avenue. For that reason though it is hard to sleep before 3 am, especially if your bedroom faces the bars. If you are on the first floor, forget about it since there is a bar downstairs with music going on until 2 am. The atmosphere is great though, very friendly people and staff, right in front of the beach. Good place to party if you are alone. If you are traveling with more people, you can get a hotel for the same $

The hostel was located really good. Took an hour bike ride to Venice Beach

• 28th Jul 2014

We are biking the Pacific Coast Highway/ Highway 1, and this was the first stop for us from landing in LAX. just a short shuttle from LAX, and with Surf City being 'right on the beach' meant we could stick our toes in the second we arrived, as late as it was! Staff was super nice, knowledgeable, flexible, and they have a locked security closet where we could keep our larger valuables. Though, bring earplugs-- it is still a hostel over a bar and right on the pier lined with delicious food shops!

We had a great time at Surf city! We could hear and see the beach from our window- this is probably the best located hostel in terms of proximity to the beach. The guests were from all over and we really enjoyed meeting some new international friends. The accommodations are basic but clean and the staff were very friendly. We also rented bikes from the hostel for $5 each! Such a deal!

• 20th Jul 2014

right place for those who wants to spend days and nights at the open air (more or les...) and just need a place to stay and sleep. rooms are slmple but clean and sure 15 minutes from LAX, perfect stop for travellers..

• 5th Jul 2014

This hostel is amazing! The location is perfect and everybody is really friendly

• 3rd Jul 2014

Easy to meet nice people :)

The hostel is located right on the beach and next to bars and shops. This is that second time I have stayed at the hostel and I would definitely go back again. The staff are helpful and friendly.

• 24th Jun 2014

A great hostel in a good location in the context of its surroundings. It's a long journey to get to the city by public transport though.

Nice hostel unfortune the noise from the bars downstairs, couldn't sleep till 3am :(

Staying for a few weeks. Been 4 days and it's SUPER AWESOME.

• 7th Jun 2014

Stay here every year for an annual event and the staff always look after us. PERFECT location (unless you want to sleep!!)

An awesome location!!! A bit of a frat atmosphere. But the location to the beach and bike path cannot be beat. I would stay here again. Jerry Frye Indiana

The location of this hostel makes up for everything else. It is literally right on the beach. We had booked a 6 bed female room and ended up in a 4 bed mixed dorm. Not only that, we awoke on our second morning to find a 5th person asleep on our (very tiny) room floor as the staff had nowhere else to put them. The wifi didn't work in the room and the power outlets hardly worked. The staff were friendly and helpful however and the atmosphere in the communal areas was fun.

• 26th May 2014

It's right on the beach!! One of the cheapest places to stay in the South Bay. Hermosa Beach is very safe at night. Of course, it can be a bit noisy on the weekends. You'll also really need a car if you're staying here and want to see LA. If you just want to surf and enjoy the sun, then maybe you wouldn't need one. I definitely reccomend this hostel. I can easily imagine staying here again.

Hostel was in a great location (right by the beach), it was a little hard to find it at first though because the entrance is kind of hidden. The general security is low - anyone can walk up the stairs. There was sand on my mattress, but it's a beach town so I guess that's expected. Other than that it's a great hostel and I'd probably stay there again.

Very nice hostel. I felt at home here. Very easy to meet friendly people :)

« first « Prev 1 2 3