Surf City Hostel Reviews

26 Pier Avenue, Hermosa Beach, Los Angeles, USA

The spot si amazing, very nice staff, a lot of places to eat and have a drink around. Mostly young people from all around the world are staying there which makes it a really cool place to stay! I recommend it!!

Everything was pretty good. Great breakfast, unbeatable location (it was an amazing area to stay after visiting the city during the day; I also loved the beach there and it's not as crowded as other beaches in LA) and very nice personnel. Some things would be good to renew (like mattresses; mine was pretty uncomfortable to sleep on), but overall the hostel was pretty decent and I had an amazing experience. I would totally recommend it!

Right on the beach you couldn't get a better location! Still close enough to day trip into LA if you wish but there is more than enough to do here in terms of beaches, food, drinks and coastal touring to keep you busy. A very friendly and social hostel with fantastic staff. There's always a bit of a party going and it's very easy to meet people and have a good time.

I have never stayed in a hostel this overpriced. It should be a maximum a 15$/night. There is no AC, the shades in our room were falling apart. At one point, there was a cockroach in the hallway so we chased it down to kill it so it wouldn't get into our room. The man at the reception came by to see what we were doing and just said "Leave it alone". I don't mind cheap hostels, but they have to be inexpensive to be worth the adventure. This hostel had nothing going for it.

• 19th Jul 2015

Location could not be any better for a good time - right next to a strip of bars/restaurants. Front/back door was sometimes left open, so security could be a little better. Rooms were extremely hot, as no aircon, showers got a bit sandy so could have done with a quick wash every now and then, but other than that, I couldn't recommend this hostel any more! Place to be!

excellent staff, beautiful views.

• 17th Jul 2015

LOVED this hostel! We booked for 4 nights and ended up staying for 9! Located right by the beach, we could see the beach from our bedroom window. As the hostel isn't huge everyone gets to know one another. Met some great people, everyone really friendly. Will 100% come back and stay here again next time I am in LA. Could not fault this hostel, great value for money.

Good hostel right on Hermosa beach. Breakfast basic but quality. Internet available throughout. Can be at bars/beach/restaurants/bike and board rental places in seconds!! Couldn't get my key deposit back unfortunately because they closed reception early the night before I was leaving :( Price seemed best in the city; don't expect european/South American hostel prices in LA!! Will stay here again if I'm in the area!

stairs lead to the hostel, difficult if you have suitcase to carry it alone upstairs, and then lob it through a hallway at the end to the reception. no security, doors left wide open, anybody can access the hostel. dirty, filthy rooms, overcrowded and small with 3 bunkbeds in room 107, no air con and the room gets really hot, and the street noise is unbelievably loud from the pub downstairs which plays loud music and revellers walking the streets, couldn't sleep at all. Dirty bed covers

• 12th Jul 2015

I love staying at Surf City Hostel whenever I come to town. It's so close to the beach you can see the ocean from every window. The staff is friendly and the place is clean and easygoing. It's a very warm and inviting place. There are so many restaurants and shops nearby that it really is the best place to stay in the area. It's not to far to walk to Redondo Beach. I love Surf City Hostel.

• 11th Jul 2015
  • Armenia

First time traveller that's 19 years old. This place is nothing more than a place to chill your feet at night. Staff needs to be more serious about their job and clean the damn place. Still would probably go back due to being so close to the beach and have a nice view. Make it more traveller friendly and then this place would be golden!

I had an excellent time at the Surf City Hostel; it was my first time visiting Hermosa beach. The staff were very helpful and friendly. Great location; my room had a view of the beach. I would definitely stay here again! It can be loud at night from the surrounding bars but ear plugs did the trick. The price you pay to stay right in the heart of Hermosa!

The manager seriously needs to change his bad attitude. The other staff was sweet, welcoming and funny. We were many who thought he was arrogant and uncomfortable. Otherwise it was a good hostel. Too bad the managers energy was so negative...

Great hostel! Location fantastic! Located on a plaza with great shops and right on the beach. I had so much fun meeting people that I didn't want to leave! There was some items stolen during my stay (not mine), and some concerns about homeless wandering in, but I never personally felt insecure as the area was super safe, it's a reminder that with all places, you should be keeping your gear under lock and key. Thanks!

I would highly recommend surf city hostel. Location was great and staff were also great. Great hostel vibe

• 16th Jun 2015
  • Wales

The hostel was well located and the staff was kind. We felt well welcomed, and we did not have any issues in finding a parking location close nearby.

Cockroaches in the kitchen and bathroom! It's a shame as it's a great little place to stay and you are right on Hermosa beach. Need some tlc!

Great hostel! Clean and secure, lots of amenities. The sound of waves in the morning worth the few screams coming from bars around. Definitly would recommend this hostel.

• 4th Jun 2015

A good hostel, but a little expensive

• 4th Jun 2015