Surf City Hostel

8.5
Fabulous 1323 Total Reviews

13th Mar 2017
6.9

Surf City is your basic hostel. The breakfast was fantastic--such a plus. The location in Hermosa Beach was great, but a little inconvenient for all of LA. Getting around was really hard and expensive. An Uber to downtown LA was around $40 one way, and just to Venice beach it was $20. Though Hermosa Beach was fun to explore, if you want to see more of LA I would suggest staying somewhere else. The hostel itself was fairly clean but pretty noisy. Definitely a party hostel but easy to meet people.

• USA, Male, 41+
11th Mar 2017
4.0

I suggest you visit a quality hostel or two and go to school on how they do things. I would never recommend yours as it is now.

• USA, Male, 31-40
8th Mar 2017

Great hostel, great people, great location - right next to pier in Hermosa!

• USA, Female, 25-30
4th Mar 2017

The location was perfect. Lots of shops, restaurants, and bars within walking distance. The pier to the beach is literally right outside the front door. Bike rentals shop one block away. I made amazing friends here, many of whom were in their late 20s-early 30s. The owner was friendly and worked to make sure everyone was enjoying their visit throughout my time there. Breakfast and coffee every day, beautiful communal living room with view of the ocean and lots of books to read.

• USA, Female, 25-30
23rd Feb 2017

Clean, well kept, hospitable, accommodating, great location! A+!

• Australia, Male, 31-40
11th Feb 2017
4.9

This hostel, whilst being in a top location is quite dated. Wifi barely works in the rooms. The place just feels dirty. On top of this the management is questionable at best. I paid for a "private" room yet on return one night I found 2 people sleeping in my room with my stuff thrown into a pile on the floor. I complained and was practically brushed. Unacceptable behaviour. I wouldn't stay here again

10th Feb 2017
4.0

This is by far the worst hostel I have ever stayed at. The hostel sits conveniently above a bar, which likes to play thumping club music until 1am. So if you're looking for a place to sleep, you might want to look elsewhere. Oh, and when I say thumping, I mean it. Not only can you clearly hear the music (not quiet), but the bass is turned up so much that you FEEL it. I was told that this only happens on Fridays and Saturdays, so on weekdays you might be safe. Still, an unacceptable surprise.

• Germany, Female, 18-24
10th Feb 2017

I really enjoyed staying at the surf city hostel . There were always somebody to talk to and when there was another woman accidentally sleeping in my bed at 1 am in the morning . The quickly figured out a new solution . I would definitely come back !

24th Jan 2017

I stayed there couple of days n a week after I came back for more few days. I needed 3 days however my flight back home was during the night so I woudn't sleep there in my last day. They aloud me to pay half price wich was very nice. Good stuff: - good free breakfast; - plenty bars n good fun around; - close to the beach; - bathrooms are fine; - good shower; - fine internet. - friendly staff Not so good things: - weak wifi signal inside the bedrooms;

• India, Male, 31-40
21st Jan 2017
7.1

This was my second stay at the Surf City, I enjoyed my first stay and there were no complaints on the second either, the cleanliness was lacking this time, the toilet and bath could have been cleaner, the place needs a new coat of paint and a little "loving". every thing else was just fine.