Surf City Hostel Reviews

26 Pier Avenue, Hermosa Beach, Los Angeles, USA

I couldn't imagine a "better" place to experience the California Beach Life and positive vibes than at the Surf City Hostel in Hermosa Beach. Perfect Location and Staff! Odile the Manager and Fab her assistant are very caring and hard-working people who are there to assist travelers in every way they can! The hostel could use some updating and a few of the rooms can be noisy, but beyond that this is a Top-Notch Place in a Top-Notch Location wIth cool guests and a staff that cares! Cheers! Joe

There are MANY long term resident there which made it feel more like a homeless shelter more than a hostel. It's in a great spot if you are in Cali for the beach. Breakfast was cool and wifi was also pretty good. Definately not a party hostel and not that great if you are looking to meet people. It's also very far from the clubs. More long termers than actual travellers = bad/ depressing vibe, so keep that in mind...

This is well located if you like having time on the beach or like surfing. But consider about one hour and half or more of public transport to get to downtown and hollywood. WARNING : There is a bar just downstair blasting the music with a huge amount of bass, the walls, windows and bed bunks were shaking. If you are looking for a quiet place near the beach dont go there, or ask for a room at the third floor(their second).

Playing the pro beach tennis tourney, it was a perfect location for me to get ready for the tourney on Hermosa Beach. Coming from Kauai, its a very similar feel with a bit more affluence. I highly recommend it. Mark Keil Poipu Beach, HI

• 31st Mar 2014

I had very limited funds and needed somewhere to stay for a few days. This was a great place. Super friendly people and right on the beach. The common rooms are small, but kept tidy and the kitchen seemed well stocked with pots and pans and such. (I didn't use the kitchen because there are so many AWESOME restaurants just out the door.) The rooms were clean enough and I loved that the room I was in had a bathroom attached. Staff was friendly and helpful. Great deal for the money!

There were only two little issues with this hostel. There is nowhere to lock up your luggage-only small things like laptops and cell phones. Also, the internet only works well in the computer room. Other than that, this hostel was great! I'll definitely return next time I come to L.A.

• 27th Mar 2014

Great place! Thank you guys!

• 22nd Mar 2014
  • Russia

Free breakfast

was sick bahhh check it out wooo spergn beck

• 21st Mar 2014

I enjoyed my stay at the Surf City Hostel. I was in 6 bed women's dorm on the 2nd floor with a private bathroom. My bed had a view of the ocean and the other ladies were considerate and friendly. The location is great - steps from the beach and near restaurants and bars. My suggestion is to bring your own small padlock for the lockers. This allows you the peace of mind to lock your valuables and relax. I rented a hostel bike during my stay and loved biking to the surrounding beaches.

• 19th Mar 2014

Very chilled hostel, you get what you pay for. Great location and helpful staff. Mattress on my bed definitely needed replacing though. Kind of an awkward location to get to but it's definitely worth it, Hermosa Beach is beautiful

Top place with top people. More the real la and not to touristy

• 23rd Jan 2014

They are really friendlly. I want to stay there again.

It was a very nice hostel with very nice people. The staff with the red cap was really funny and taked care that we get safe to the greyhound station. (btw, u can catch the bus 60 (i think it was) from the end of ur train way, it takes u 1 block further the greyhound station)

Seriously helpful and friendly staff! Pretty happy with the included breakfast as well.

this was my second time staying at this hostel. its location is amazing, beach views from some windows. right in amongst the bars and resturants that line this lively strip. the owner is fabulous and is really welcoming. facilities are adiquate. If your looking for a place a few steps from the beach, and being in amongst cool bars and resturants, this place cant be beat. if you want to grab an early night you will need noise cancelling headphones as the bars and clubs obviously radiate noise.

I could find no better points than average, but It was expensive than expected. I will try to find any other hostel next time.

This place is a bit shabby. Good points: Nice staff. Nice breakfast. Good location for beach volleyball. Rent bikes for cheap. Very close to beach. Big TV. WiFi. Bad points: small TV room, kitchen and internet room. Shower rooms not too good and mixed gender with inadequate stalls so high opportunity for perving behaviours(!) Plastic sheeting on beds. Hermosa is a bit boring. Long term residents, some stoned a lot. Blinds let in sun in early morning. No WiFi in my room.

This hostel is located near the beach, which is a plus!. Parking is difficult here. I'm not one for clubs, bars, and loud music. There were too many drunk guest in this hostel. That's not my cup of tea. Won't stay here again.

I loved the atmosphere at the hostel and the staff were just super kind. The rooms and the sheets could be cleaner. The location is just perfect. Despite the facts that many other hostels have nicer rooms and bathrooms I would come back to this one because of the staff and the general atmosphere in the hostel. I really enjoyed the stay.