Surf City Hostel Reviews

26 Pier Avenue, Hermosa Beach, Los Angeles, USA

I liked the location and the staff was akso very nice. I liked it that you could rent a bike for only 10 dollars. When I was there the atmosphere was soso. Maybe it had to due with that I was there on a Monday and Tuesday.

Lovely hostel in the lovely Hermosa beach. Everyone's very chilled and friendly and there's art all over the walls. Our room had an ensuite but it wasn't cleaned very often but it was still ok. The free breakfast and cheap bike hire were definately bonus's cycled to Venice beach and Santa Monica but is 15miles each way so would recommend getting up early so as to be back before sunset. Takes about 2hours on public transport to Hollywood.

I traveled with a friend of mine for a weekend get away. We loved the location right in the middle of everything and our room overlooked the beach! The staff was very friendly. The area is a little noisy on the weekend but the price you pay for being walking distance to everything. We shared a room with 4 other travelers from Germany and Russia and loved getting to know all the many different worldly travelers that were passing through. This hostel and the people we met definitely made our trip!

• 18th Apr 2014

I couldn't imagine a "better" place to experience the California Beach Life and positive vibes than at the Surf City Hostel in Hermosa Beach. Perfect Location and Staff! Odile the Manager and Fab her assistant are very caring and hard-working people who are there to assist travelers in every way they can! The hostel could use some updating and a few of the rooms can be noisy, but beyond that this is a Top-Notch Place in a Top-Notch Location wIth cool guests and a staff that cares! Cheers! Joe

Really good breakfast and a vibe atmosphere that needed to be lived!

There are MANY long term resident there which made it feel more like a homeless shelter more than a hostel. It's in a great spot if you are in Cali for the beach. Breakfast was cool and wifi was also pretty good. Definately not a party hostel and not that great if you are looking to meet people. It's also very far from the clubs. More long termers than actual travellers = bad/ depressing vibe, so keep that in mind...

Nice hostel, great location. Can be very noisy on Friday/Saturday nights from the bar below - remember ear plugs

This is well located if you like having time on the beach or like surfing. But consider about one hour and half or more of public transport to get to downtown and hollywood. WARNING : There is a bar just downstair blasting the music with a huge amount of bass, the walls, windows and bed bunks were shaking. If you are looking for a quiet place near the beach dont go there, or ask for a room at the third floor(their second).

Playing the pro beach tennis tourney, it was a perfect location for me to get ready for the tourney on Hermosa Beach. Coming from Kauai, its a very similar feel with a bit more affluence. I highly recommend it. Mark Keil Poipu Beach, HI

• 31st Mar 2014

I had very limited funds and needed somewhere to stay for a few days. This was a great place. Super friendly people and right on the beach. The common rooms are small, but kept tidy and the kitchen seemed well stocked with pots and pans and such. (I didn't use the kitchen because there are so many AWESOME restaurants just out the door.) The rooms were clean enough and I loved that the room I was in had a bathroom attached. Staff was friendly and helpful. Great deal for the money!

There were only two little issues with this hostel. There is nowhere to lock up your luggage-only small things like laptops and cell phones. Also, the internet only works well in the computer room. Other than that, this hostel was great! I'll definitely return next time I come to L.A.

• 27th Mar 2014

Great place! Thank you guys!

• 22nd Mar 2014
  • Russia

Free breakfast

was sick bahhh check it out wooo spergn beck

• 21st Mar 2014

I enjoyed my stay at the Surf City Hostel. I was in 6 bed women's dorm on the 2nd floor with a private bathroom. My bed had a view of the ocean and the other ladies were considerate and friendly. The location is great - steps from the beach and near restaurants and bars. My suggestion is to bring your own small padlock for the lockers. This allows you the peace of mind to lock your valuables and relax. I rented a hostel bike during my stay and loved biking to the surrounding beaches.

• 19th Mar 2014

Very chilled hostel, you get what you pay for. Great location and helpful staff. Mattress on my bed definitely needed replacing though. Kind of an awkward location to get to but it's definitely worth it, Hermosa Beach is beautiful

1 2 Next » last »