Surf Hostel Meri (former Hostal Lily) Reviews

La Ribera 720, Huanchaco, Peru

Surf hostel Mari has a great spot on the beach front and has a good setup with roof terrace and communal areas. However, the staff really need an attitude adjustment. They treat guests like they are a burden on them being in their space and are very unhelpful meaning that people keep to themselves or go outside the hostel to socialise. Also the wifi is unreliable and the owner has a newborn baby that lives in the centre of the hostel.

The staff was unfriendly. The hostel has a laid back atmosphere, and I agree with other reviews in that it's hard to find people that work there sometimes! The rooms don't have lockers, but apparently "things don't get stolen." Two hours after getting there someone stole my food (not that they could have done anything though). I stayed because I met a great group of people there, and they have a nice upstairs terrace to hangout. But the staff have a really bad attitude!

Nice beachfront hostel! The gas cooker in the kitchen was a little weak.

The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The bathrooms were very modern and the showers were hot. The breakfast was very delicious with home-made bread, and well worth the small charge. The location was perfect; across the street from the beach and surf spots. The kitty who came and slept on our bed made the visit especially delightful!

• 4th Jan 2015

Our stay was quite cool, you can rent surfboards and the hostel is right in the center. You can't be any nearer to the beach! The staff was volunteers and they were working reaaaally slow. They were nice but it's just annoying if you always have to look all over the hostel to find someone to attend.

I originally booked into La Gringa Sudamerica online but when I arrived I didn't even want to stay one night - it looked so dirty