Surf 'N' Snow Backpackers Reviews

Level 1, 102 Albert Street, Auckland, New Zealand

I got a basement room with no windows. It was 4 square meters for four people. Very stinky and run down. I agree it was cheap but still they should warn while booking that this is the room as I didn't know the standard can be that low and what the prices normally are, especially when I didn't go for the cheapest option selecting 4 people room (I saw there were 8 people basement rooms too). Overall it looks like it is the cheapest hostel in the city, therefore full of kebab immigrants. No fun

Everything was wrong with this hostel! From checkin alone I felt out of place and not welcome. Checked into a room which was so hot and uncomfortable that I had to move out. Paid to upgrade to a single room without a widow and was ok at first, till the power kept cutting out! was then moved to a double room! I found my door unlocked several times then had Somekne walk into my room whilst I was asleep! Moved out the next morning and got a refunds

My room is in basement n it's really smell n stuffy. Kitchen is dirty. I don't think I would go back again.

• 29th Sep 2014
  • Taiwan

No soap, dirty old sheets and pillows, mould, dirt and dust everywhere. Poor service, poor English communication, woken up at 6.00 by staff banging and singing at the top of her voice toa loud radio. Shower smelled like bleach even though there was grime on everything, even the sink. The sink! People who work there are either blind or do not care about what they are doing. One fridge for 3 floors of rooms, the fridge door was continuously busting open with food. Just go somewhere else.

Location is a bit far from the airport but it's a block from the sky tower. The staff was helpful with directions and providing information and cleaned every morning. Overall a decent value for a hostel.

• 14th Aug 2014

Nice place to stay. Great atmostphere in the kitchen. Some guests were playing music :) However, half of stove were not working and I hope there was enough space in the refrigerator :(

• 21st Jul 2014
  • South Korea

I wanted to stay at a place close to the center of Auckland, at a good price, and this place was right next to the Sky Tower! The staff was friendly and helpful, and best of all, I was able to make many friends from different countries just by hanging around in the kitchen!! Very International!

The hostel is located in the middle of Auckalnd city! It is a good place to stay for one night. There are many Japanese guests so I got many information from them. Also I got more detailed information from reception. I booked a room in the basement. However, the room was not available when I got there, then they upgraded the room to a better room without any extra charge. However, they need to buy a new refrigerator. There wasn't enough space to put my food in it.

• 15th Jul 2014
  • Austria

Although the rating was really bad, it was a quiet nice place to stay. The hostel is located very center of Auckland city and it is only 1 minute walking from Countdown. The front door is locked 24hours and there is a security door before the room door. People were having party in the kicthen when I was there. However, They should fix the toliet in the basement. I could meet many different people from different countries. Especially, there were many Asians! Which make me feel safe!

Stayed here knowing it wasn't a good hostel purely because it was for one night and has a great location. Booked a 4 bed share room which turned out to be a windowless sweaty dirty box in the basement next to the kitchen, there was dust everywhere, the door was permanently unlocked with an array of strangers coming in and out of the room, I rather think it was meant to be for those working at the hostel rather than guests. Couldn't wait to leave in the morning.

It was only one night but this place was one of best backpackers. People are very helpful and location is great. I had a lovely time.

• 4th Jun 2014