Surf 'N' Snow Backpackers Reviews

Level 1, 102 Albert Street, Auckland, New Zealand

Everything was wrong with this hostel! From checkin alone I felt out of place and not welcome. Checked into a room which was so hot and uncomfortable that I had to move out. Paid to upgrade to a single room without a widow and was ok at first, till the power kept cutting out! was then moved to a double room! I found my door unlocked several times then had Somekne walk into my room whilst I was asleep! Moved out the next morning and got a refunds

My room is in basement n it's really smell n stuffy. Kitchen is dirty. I don't think I would go back again.

• 29th Sep 2014
  • Taiwan

No soap, dirty old sheets and pillows, mould, dirt and dust everywhere. Poor service, poor English communication, woken up at 6.00 by staff banging and singing at the top of her voice toa loud radio. Shower smelled like bleach even though there was grime on everything, even the sink. The sink! People who work there are either blind or do not care about what they are doing. One fridge for 3 floors of rooms, the fridge door was continuously busting open with food. Just go somewhere else.

Location is a bit far from the airport but it's a block from the sky tower. The staff was helpful with directions and providing information and cleaned every morning. Overall a decent value for a hostel.

• 14th Aug 2014

Nice place to stay. Great atmostphere in the kitchen. Some guests were playing music :) However, half of stove were not working and I hope there was enough space in the refrigerator :(

• 21st Jul 2014
  • South Korea

I wanted to stay at a place close to the center of Auckland, at a good price, and this place was right next to the Sky Tower! The staff was friendly and helpful, and best of all, I was able to make many friends from different countries just by hanging around in the kitchen!! Very International!

The hostel is located in the middle of Auckalnd city! It is a good place to stay for one night. There are many Japanese guests so I got many information from them. Also I got more detailed information from reception. I booked a room in the basement. However, the room was not available when I got there, then they upgraded the room to a better room without any extra charge. However, they need to buy a new refrigerator. There wasn't enough space to put my food in it.

• 15th Jul 2014
  • Austria

Although the rating was really bad, it was a quiet nice place to stay. The hostel is located very center of Auckland city and it is only 1 minute walking from Countdown. The front door is locked 24hours and there is a security door before the room door. People were having party in the kicthen when I was there. However, They should fix the toliet in the basement. I could meet many different people from different countries. Especially, there were many Asians! Which make me feel safe!

Stayed here knowing it wasn't a good hostel purely because it was for one night and has a great location. Booked a 4 bed share room which turned out to be a windowless sweaty dirty box in the basement next to the kitchen, there was dust everywhere, the door was permanently unlocked with an array of strangers coming in and out of the room, I rather think it was meant to be for those working at the hostel rather than guests. Couldn't wait to leave in the morning.

It was only one night but this place was one of best backpackers. People are very helpful and location is great. I had a lovely time.

• 4th Jun 2014
  • Nepal

I am not usually the type to leave a bad review, i know what to expect from a hostel as i have stayed in hundreds, and therefore dont have unrealistic expectations from them, i realise its a hostel not a hotel, however this place was awful. The room had no windows and wasnt properly ventilated, the whole place was stuffy and smelt of grease it made made me feel ill. I stayed out most of the night as i wanted to avoid being there, the kitchens and bathrooms were also appauling, dont stay here!!!

Hi Joe, We find that our rooms without windows are very competitively priced and best suit guests who are comfortable with this type of set up. We are more than happy to find people a solution in a windowed room if it is preferable! Our facilities including the kitchen and our bathrooms are about to go through an upgrade as we focused on improving our guests experience following recent comments!

Hello, My name is Antoine, i am have been travelling for years around the world in many different kinds of countries. I always use Hostel World because it s a very good website with good values. I have never been disappointed of my choices in therms of hostels. I am very disappointed of the "Surf and Snow" hostel. My experience there almost turned as a nightmare. I strongly don t recommend this place to anyone...

Hi Antoine, We are a very busy hostel and unfortunately it means that advance booking is sometimes required to secure long stays in the same room. We advise customers to check availability frequently or book in advance to avoid this sort or problem. We will be opening new 'long term' rooms shortly to help cope with this trend.