Surf 'N' Snow Backpackers Reviews

Level 1, 102 Albert Street, Auckland, New Zealand

The Location of this hostel is good, but that is pretty much all of the good that I can say about this hostel. Staff was trying to be helpful, but ended up giving me wrong information to get rid of me, which of course didn't help me at all. It wasn't that clean and the beds, linnens etc. have seen better days. Beds are extremely uncomfortable. Kitchen is in the basement and has no athmosphere whatsoever. For all that it is quite expensive to stay here.

I strongly recommend investing in new mattresses. I was shocked at the state they were in, as a result I was given bath towels to even out, this did not and will not help stayers to feel comfortable. It was very helpful of staff though,considering the limited amount they could've been done. I was upset by the drunken in the kitchen at night. In such a small space, there was no room to cook, nor relaxing whilst cooking when everyone was in your face and screaming. I didn't have dinner.

I really do not recommend this hostel at all. The swarms of flies in the kitchen and mouldy ceilings didn't really give a homely vibe. The rooms also reached temperatures near to that of the Sahara desert. There are lots of nice hostels in Auckland to stay in that are cheaper and 100x better than surf n snow!

DO NOT BOOK THIS HOSTEL. It is the worst hostel I have stayed, on my whole 8 month trip. Security is very poor, its really dirty and the facilities are in terrible condition. If you stay you will most likely have a terrible experience.

The hostel had disgusting dirty sheets, the staff were extremely unhelpful, refused a refund we did not feel safe staying in the hostel, lock on door was broken

• 30th Dec 2015

The TV room smelled really bad and the kitchen had alot of flies, other than that the bathrooms were very well maintained and the rooms were neat and tidy.

The facilities inside need a revamp.The kitchen is in the basement and it gets smelly really easily as no air circulates there.I was in a bed without a pillowcase, there was one tatty, ripped leather chair and the curtain was so short light filtered underneath it through the window (about 4 inches) and it barely reached each side. There was a drunk man slumped in the lift riding up and down and the receptionist said 'oh he's still there' so she obviously already knew. Bathrooms were clean though

-At the citchen were Cockroaches -The rooms aren´t quiet at all - the citchen in general is very smelly and not very clean - too expensive for this class of hostel - beds are totally worn + central location in Auckland + showers were clean/toilets most of the time also I woud never ever book that hostel again. Not even for a lower price.

Great staff! Helped me out with e v e r y t h i n g I needed.

Overall I was very unhappy with the quality and would not stay here again. The staff were not on the same page and all seemed to give a different answer. The bedding was not up to any kind of standard with lumpy thin pillows, ripped pillow cases and mattress springs that poked up it was not an enjoyable sleep. The female showers on the third floor do not seem to work as when turned on all they do is dribble down the wall.

• 20th Nov 2015
  • New Zealand

Basement rooms are an actual disgrace, floors covered in dirt and old clothes that people have left, surely after they've left, you'd stick them in a lost and found, not just left smelling on the floor. Also, if people are staying in those rooms, some air conditioning or a window would at least slightly increase the rooms appeal. I would also like the mention the lack of locks on the baggage hold room, if you're paying to keep your bags there, you would like a lock on the door for peace of mind.

• 25th Oct 2015

Bathrooms are atrocious. Showers didn't even turn on one day. Building was filthy. Hot girl at reception (one with glasses).

• 15th Oct 2015