Surf 'N' Snow Backpackers Reviews

Level 1, 102 Albert Street, Auckland, New Zealand

So far this was the least desirable place I have stayed. The kitchen had no utensiles. My room in the basement smelled really bad. There was no place I could sit and relax with my friend. Back to the kitchen with the stove door missing, the toilet was missing a seat, and there was no hot water. I would spend the extra 5 $ to stay at the BASE

• 20th Jan 2015

Actually one of the best hostels I've ever stayed at, and I stayed in a lot of different ones having been a traveller for the last 4 years. Staff was super nice and friendly and so helpful! Such a clean hostel as well I was so surprised! And the price is remarkable. All from me!! Thanks a lot guys for a super nice stay!

No free WiFi

• 31st Dec 2014

The location is very good as it is close the the queen street and skycity. The mattress are quite old. The bathrooms and toilets were cleaned frequently, but the kitchen is always like a mess due to other guests. The bathroom at the 1st floor was much better the that at 2nd floor.

Bathrooms looked brand new and showers were excellent except when more than one shower was in use. Then the water pressure cut off drastically. We were in a spacious twin room with a great window view of the tourist catapult. Only problem with the room was the mattresses were very rough to sleep on, and a mattress protector or at least a second bottom sheet would go a long way towards hygiene along with two pillowcases on each pillow. Unless the pillows are washed after each individual.

Disgusting. This was a foul place and the staff were incredibly unhelpful.

• 24th Nov 2014

Hostel has some stinky smells in the place. The room is so messy and dirty. Pillow and duvet are horrible. Avoid this hostel.

• 22nd Nov 2014
  • Hong Kong

I got a basement room with no windows. It was 4 square meters for four people. Very stinky and run down. I agree it was cheap but still they should warn while booking that this is the room as I didn't know the standard can be that low and what the prices normally are, especially when I didn't go for the cheapest option selecting 4 people room (I saw there were 8 people basement rooms too). Overall it looks like it is the cheapest hostel in the city, therefore full of kebab immigrants. No fun

Everything was wrong with this hostel! From checkin alone I felt out of place and not welcome. Checked into a room which was so hot and uncomfortable that I had to move out. Paid to upgrade to a single room without a widow and was ok at first, till the power kept cutting out! was then moved to a double room! I found my door unlocked several times then had Somekne walk into my room whilst I was asleep! Moved out the next morning and got a refunds

My room is in basement n it's really smell n stuffy. Kitchen is dirty. I don't think I would go back again.

• 29th Sep 2014
  • Taiwan

No soap, dirty old sheets and pillows, mould, dirt and dust everywhere. Poor service, poor English communication, woken up at 6.00 by staff banging and singing at the top of her voice toa loud radio. Shower smelled like bleach even though there was grime on everything, even the sink. The sink! People who work there are either blind or do not care about what they are doing. One fridge for 3 floors of rooms, the fridge door was continuously busting open with food. Just go somewhere else.

Location is a bit far from the airport but it's a block from the sky tower. The staff was helpful with directions and providing information and cleaned every morning. Overall a decent value for a hostel.

• 14th Aug 2014