Surf 'N' Snow Backpackers Reviews

Level 1, 102 Albert Street, Auckland, New Zealand

The staff at the reception are super friendly, professional yet very diverse. I heard at least 5,6 languages spoken and they helped me with all my travel plans like booking a tour and figuring out the best transportation. My room was pretty neat & tidy when I checked in and they provided me with clean linens. The kitchen was a great place to meet people and have fun, and everything was cleaned and put away in the morning due to the hard work of their cleaning staff. I would definitely come back!

• 22nd Mar 2014
  • Japan

Dirty place. I had to ask for new sheets. Smelly and very unclean. Won't spend a dollar anymore in this place.

• 21st Mar 2014

Well I did only stay there for one night! But the rooms where so dirty and the sheets felt very old and unclean! They didn't have anything for the windows at night so it was lot dark.. We only stayed here cause everything else was booked! Would not stay here by choice

I love this place! To begin with, it has the most awesome location where the famous Sky Tower is simple part of your room view, and it's so easy to go anywhere from here, Queen St, the harbor, Victoria Park, bars and restaurants, you name it. Secondly, they have a very valuable 24hr reception meaning there's always someone for me. In my case, my flight was delayed and I arrived around 1am. I thought I was gonna spend the night in the hall way only to find I was warmly greeted!!!!!

• 13th Mar 2014

We stayed in a private twin room, and it was a good price considering it to be private. Although the staff couldn't speak english and they apparently forgot to tell us, and pretty much the rest of the people staying at the hostel, that they had changed the security codes on the door. So we couldn't get back in... Two more things; you can hear everything through the walls and the internet is so expensive it's ridiculous. I am not going back there again.

Toilets dirty and poorly located. Place is a fire trap. Overcrowded in busy times.

Bathrooms weren't cleaned during my stay. Watched staff change beds and they only changed the fitted sheet and pillow case, duvet cover wasn't changed. My locker under bed was broken so not secure at all. Room was like a sauna at night. Would not stay here again.

Bed didn't have a pillow case when I arrived which makes you wonder if they changed the linen at all!? Room was full of long term guest and a complete mess clothes everywhere, really hot and the mattress was so thin! Kitchen is in the basement and pretty grim also someone stole one of my freezer blocks-not cool! Staff didn't seem to care! Theft seems to be an issue here judging by all the signs up! I'd pay the extra and stay somewhere else!

OK good locations a bed and shower. All you need for a quick stay.

Good location. Nice guy in the reception. Not clean, somebody stole my food, no room in the fridge, kitchen is horrible.

Room aren't great really... No aeration so quite smelly and extremely warm at the top level! Sheets didn't look super clean, found some hair in there... not so nice... Staff is OK, depends on who you deal with; when I arrived I got given a key to my room that didn't fit in the key hole, wrong key... Had to go back down to ask what was the matter, had to wait 30min before they could find a solution, way too long especially after a 30hours journey from europe! Location of the hostel is aweso

Many things need to be replaced. The male bathroom is totally damaged. The doors are old, and they have passwords which was boring to push those damaged buttons, it took forever to open just one door.

• 16th Feb 2014

People who slept in the reception area were allowed to keep their bags in our room for some reason and were waking in and out removing bags etc in the middle of the night. The bed linen hasn't seen a washing machine before- pillow smelt stale and dirty. The showers weren't really very nice. I know you get what you pay for but I wouldn't stay there again. Would rather spend double and have somewhere with basic hygiene.

• 15th Feb 2014

room was ok just wish i had known there was no window, but good location

• 14th Feb 2014
  • New Zealand

Would rather cook in Hitlers bunker than in that bunker kitchen in the hostel

This is an ok hostel if you're looking for a cheap place to stay for the night. I don't really have anything special to say about the place, the location is good right in the city centre. The curtains in the dorm were broken so everyone was wide awake at 6am and the pillow and duvet were wafer thin.

i stayed here a couple of years ago- they've made some improvements. security is tight. i think the management is new too. they've got more of a focus on being a 'travel agency' than i recall. i found the reception staff really lovely and professional- kinda surprising for just a backpackers. you're not left feeling like just another number, like at some of the bigger hostels i've stayed at here. tv room is not really to be recommended though. it's tiny and stuffy.

I'm French, I stayed here just one night but I think I'll come back because the atmosphere is really good, staff was really helpful and it's really easy to meet people (kitchen). Perfect location.

• 24th Jan 2014
  • Belgium

A simple but effective hostel in a great central location. Staff were helpful, hostel was clean throughout. Smoking shelter and outside area with a lively crowd is particularly good for socialising, though I feel the hostel would struggle for atmosphere in bad weather. If you're only staying in Auckland for a night or two (Which you should be) then this is ideal.

Most of the females in my dorm were live ins there was no room for me to even put my pack down, it was very light and noisy. Most of the people there were tourists whose idea of travel was to get so smashingly drunk every night and cause drama and sleep all day. the 'smoking area' was climbing thru a window to an alley where water dripped and even then the alcove was covered by plastic bags! Just to top off my stay there, there was an OCD psycho chick who wouldnt allow me to wear my day pack in

• 11th Jan 2014