Surf 'N' Snow Backpackers Reviews

Level 1, 102 Albert Street, Auckland, New Zealand

We stayed in a private twin room, and it was a good price considering it to be private. Although the staff couldn't speak english and they apparently forgot to tell us, and pretty much the rest of the people staying at the hostel, that they had changed the security codes on the door. So we couldn't get back in... Two more things; you can hear everything through the walls and the internet is so expensive it's ridiculous. I am not going back there again.

Toilets dirty and poorly located. Place is a fire trap. Overcrowded in busy times.

Bathrooms weren't cleaned during my stay. Watched staff change beds and they only changed the fitted sheet and pillow case, duvet cover wasn't changed. My locker under bed was broken so not secure at all. Room was like a sauna at night. Would not stay here again.

Bed didn't have a pillow case when I arrived which makes you wonder if they changed the linen at all!? Room was full of long term guest and a complete mess clothes everywhere, really hot and the mattress was so thin! Kitchen is in the basement and pretty grim also someone stole one of my freezer blocks-not cool! Staff didn't seem to care! Theft seems to be an issue here judging by all the signs up! I'd pay the extra and stay somewhere else!

OK good locations a bed and shower. All you need for a quick stay.

Good location. Nice guy in the reception. Not clean, somebody stole my food, no room in the fridge, kitchen is horrible.

Room aren't great really... No aeration so quite smelly and extremely warm at the top level! Sheets didn't look super clean, found some hair in there... not so nice... Staff is OK, depends on who you deal with; when I arrived I got given a key to my room that didn't fit in the key hole, wrong key... Had to go back down to ask what was the matter, had to wait 30min before they could find a solution, way too long especially after a 30hours journey from europe! Location of the hostel is aweso

Many things need to be replaced. The male bathroom is totally damaged. The doors are old, and they have passwords which was boring to push those damaged buttons, it took forever to open just one door.

• 16th Feb 2014

People who slept in the reception area were allowed to keep their bags in our room for some reason and were waking in and out removing bags etc in the middle of the night. The bed linen hasn't seen a washing machine before- pillow smelt stale and dirty. The showers weren't really very nice. I know you get what you pay for but I wouldn't stay there again. Would rather spend double and have somewhere with basic hygiene.

• 15th Feb 2014

room was ok just wish i had known there was no window, but good location

• 14th Feb 2014
  • New Zealand

Would rather cook in Hitlers bunker than in that bunker kitchen in the hostel

This is an ok hostel if you're looking for a cheap place to stay for the night. I don't really have anything special to say about the place, the location is good right in the city centre. The curtains in the dorm were broken so everyone was wide awake at 6am and the pillow and duvet were wafer thin.

i stayed here a couple of years ago- they've made some improvements. security is tight. i think the management is new too. they've got more of a focus on being a 'travel agency' than i recall. i found the reception staff really lovely and professional- kinda surprising for just a backpackers. you're not left feeling like just another number, like at some of the bigger hostels i've stayed at here. tv room is not really to be recommended though. it's tiny and stuffy.

I'm French, I stayed here just one night but I think I'll come back because the atmosphere is really good, staff was really helpful and it's really easy to meet people (kitchen). Perfect location.

• 24th Jan 2014
  • Belgium

A simple but effective hostel in a great central location. Staff were helpful, hostel was clean throughout. Smoking shelter and outside area with a lively crowd is particularly good for socialising, though I feel the hostel would struggle for atmosphere in bad weather. If you're only staying in Auckland for a night or two (Which you should be) then this is ideal.

Most of the females in my dorm were live ins there was no room for me to even put my pack down, it was very light and noisy. Most of the people there were tourists whose idea of travel was to get so smashingly drunk every night and cause drama and sleep all day. the 'smoking area' was climbing thru a window to an alley where water dripped and even then the alcove was covered by plastic bags! Just to top off my stay there, there was an OCD psycho chick who wouldnt allow me to wear my day pack in

• 11th Jan 2014

We had great time.Kitchen is dirty and stinking but I like balcony.

• 11th Jan 2014
  • Japan

Its a really nice Hostel. I arrived in New Zealand and this was my first hostel. When i checked in they gave me a lot of information about Auckland and around, tours-trips included. Also i would recommend this people, which first stop they have in Auckland. The atmosphere is really cool: a lot of different cultures, people are really friendly and i meet in this short a lot of people, which who i had a good time in Auckland. Special when you are cooking or after in the smoking corner.

Yes hello misters this hostel is good value for your money. Only bad thing is people screaming in the night from the bungy at the tower outside the hostel. Staff is nice, especially the guy that is from england.

• 4th Dec 2013
  • Finland

Yes the screams can be surprising the first time; we're sorry about that. The rooms on our south facing wall can sometimes be exposed to that on Friday and Saturday nights until around midnight.

Horrible stay at a horrible hostel. Felt dirty as soon as soon as we walked in. The sofas in the reception are old, tattered and untidy. The tv room is a joke and has seating for 4 people on 2 stained couches and the tv itself doesn't even work but yet you still get charged for DVDs. The bedroom was dingy with so many pipes running through it felt like a boiler room. There was gum stuck to the bed frame and the bars of the bunk could be felt through the sorry excuse for a mattress. Awful.

• 4th Dec 2013

We're sorry you didn't have such a pleasant stay. Our maintenance and cleaning staff are working hard to enhance our customers' stay. We recognize the TV room is inadequate and have plans currently underway. In the meantime we invite guests to use our other more pleasant common areas, avoiding TV. The pipes are purposely left in a couple of the rooms; it is felt they offer a postmodern kind of ambiance, reminiscent of the Pompidou Centre in Paris.