Surf 'N' Snow Backpackers Reviews

Level 1, 102 Albert Street, Auckland, New Zealand

Very very poor cleaning at kitchen, bathrooms and rooms,not enough ventilation at kitchen and basement rooms, mattresses are destroyed, no enough maintenance at every corner, not comfortable.

• 24th Apr 2014
  • Argentina

Hi Nicolas, Our facilities including the kitchen and our bathrooms are about to go through an upgrade as we focused on improving our guests experience following recent comments. Also we have totally reviewed our cleaning operations in order to make sure we attain a constant high standard of presentation. Surf N Snow

I will never stay again. Kitchen is very dirty also very noisy. I couldn't cook there. I can't believe that guys cleaning female buth room. i was staying at female room but when stuff come in my room they didn't knock door n man stuff just came in. However location was good but friday n saturday night is so noisy also we cant close the window.. Anyway it was so uncomfortable It was worst backpackers.

• 10th Apr 2014
  • Japan

Hi Ayumi, We have had a complete review of our cleaning operations and updated our day to day tasks to ensure that cleanliness and presentation matches the expectation of our guests and their experience of our premise is improved. We have held meetings with our staff regarding their conduct and behavior in regards to disturbances you may have had and input policies to ensure the continuation of these ideas. We have asked our maintenance team to see that all windows are fully functional too.

Got a room without window Wifi very expansive Smelly bathrooms Kitchen not usable Adverised smokingarea was closed ---------------- Would not go there again

• 7th Apr 2014

Hi Christoph, We have rooms with windows always available if guest prefer to stay in these conditions and all guests are given the information before check in. Our WIFI is comparable to all local hostels and is available in all the rooms, we even have special free 500mb for guest staying for a week or more! Our kitchen is undergoing an upgrade as with some of our other facilities too! We decided to close our smoking area in the interest of guest safety.

We had read the bad reviews but thought we would give it a try, it was the end of our trip and we needed a cheapish private room. But the room was the worst we had experienced in the whole of New Zealand! No window, with no natural light coming in at all, really stuffy and a terrible ventilation system, why could we smell everything being cooked in the kitchen in our room that was 3 floors above! Also the kitchen was disgusting and very little utensils, we couldn't bring ourselves to cook in it.

HI Frankie, Guests are advised prior to check in if the room has no windows and we are more than happy to accommodate any changes to suit your preferences at this stage also! Our kitchen is a main social hub and can get quite busy, so we have it cleaned 4 times a day and our staff go on a hostel hunt for missing utensils every day! Every week if we are short on things we have them replaces for your convenience.

The staff at the reception are super friendly, professional yet very diverse. I heard at least 5,6 languages spoken and they helped me with all my travel plans like booking a tour and figuring out the best transportation. My room was pretty neat & tidy when I checked in and they provided me with clean linens. The kitchen was a great place to meet people and have fun, and everything was cleaned and put away in the morning due to the hard work of their cleaning staff. I would definitely come back!

• 22nd Mar 2014
  • Japan

Dirty place. I had to ask for new sheets. Smelly and very unclean. Won't spend a dollar anymore in this place.

• 21st Mar 2014

Well I did only stay there for one night! But the rooms where so dirty and the sheets felt very old and unclean! They didn't have anything for the windows at night so it was lot dark.. We only stayed here cause everything else was booked! Would not stay here by choice

I love this place! To begin with, it has the most awesome location where the famous Sky Tower is simple part of your room view, and it's so easy to go anywhere from here, Queen St, the harbor, Victoria Park, bars and restaurants, you name it. Secondly, they have a very valuable 24hr reception meaning there's always someone for me. In my case, my flight was delayed and I arrived around 1am. I thought I was gonna spend the night in the hall way only to find I was warmly greeted!!!!!

• 13th Mar 2014

We stayed in a private twin room, and it was a good price considering it to be private. Although the staff couldn't speak english and they apparently forgot to tell us, and pretty much the rest of the people staying at the hostel, that they had changed the security codes on the door. So we couldn't get back in... Two more things; you can hear everything through the walls and the internet is so expensive it's ridiculous. I am not going back there again.

Toilets dirty and poorly located. Place is a fire trap. Overcrowded in busy times.

Bathrooms weren't cleaned during my stay. Watched staff change beds and they only changed the fitted sheet and pillow case, duvet cover wasn't changed. My locker under bed was broken so not secure at all. Room was like a sauna at night. Would not stay here again.

Bed didn't have a pillow case when I arrived which makes you wonder if they changed the linen at all!? Room was full of long term guest and a complete mess clothes everywhere, really hot and the mattress was so thin! Kitchen is in the basement and pretty grim also someone stole one of my freezer blocks-not cool! Staff didn't seem to care! Theft seems to be an issue here judging by all the signs up! I'd pay the extra and stay somewhere else!

OK good locations a bed and shower. All you need for a quick stay.

Good location. Nice guy in the reception. Not clean, somebody stole my food, no room in the fridge, kitchen is horrible.

Room aren't great really... No aeration so quite smelly and extremely warm at the top level! Sheets didn't look super clean, found some hair in there... not so nice... Staff is OK, depends on who you deal with; when I arrived I got given a key to my room that didn't fit in the key hole, wrong key... Had to go back down to ask what was the matter, had to wait 30min before they could find a solution, way too long especially after a 30hours journey from europe! Location of the hostel is aweso

Many things need to be replaced. The male bathroom is totally damaged. The doors are old, and they have passwords which was boring to push those damaged buttons, it took forever to open just one door.

• 16th Feb 2014

People who slept in the reception area were allowed to keep their bags in our room for some reason and were waking in and out removing bags etc in the middle of the night. The bed linen hasn't seen a washing machine before- pillow smelt stale and dirty. The showers weren't really very nice. I know you get what you pay for but I wouldn't stay there again. Would rather spend double and have somewhere with basic hygiene.

• 15th Feb 2014

room was ok just wish i had known there was no window, but good location

• 14th Feb 2014
  • New Zealand

Would rather cook in Hitlers bunker than in that bunker kitchen in the hostel

This is an ok hostel if you're looking for a cheap place to stay for the night. I don't really have anything special to say about the place, the location is good right in the city centre. The curtains in the dorm were broken so everyone was wide awake at 6am and the pillow and duvet were wafer thin.