Surf 'N' Snow Backpackers Reviews

Level 1, 102 Albert Street, Auckland, New Zealand

Everything was wrong with this hostel! From checkin alone I felt out of place and not welcome. Checked into a room which was so hot and uncomfortable that I had to move out. Paid to upgrade to a single room without a widow and was ok at first, till the power kept cutting out! was then moved to a double room! I found my door unlocked several times then had Somekne walk into my room whilst I was asleep! Moved out the next morning and got a refunds

My room is in basement n it's really smell n stuffy. Kitchen is dirty. I don't think I would go back again.

• 29th Sep 2014
  • Taiwan

No soap, dirty old sheets and pillows, mould, dirt and dust everywhere. Poor service, poor English communication, woken up at 6.00 by staff banging and singing at the top of her voice toa loud radio. Shower smelled like bleach even though there was grime on everything, even the sink. The sink! People who work there are either blind or do not care about what they are doing. One fridge for 3 floors of rooms, the fridge door was continuously busting open with food. Just go somewhere else.

Location is a bit far from the airport but it's a block from the sky tower. The staff was helpful with directions and providing information and cleaned every morning. Overall a decent value for a hostel.

• 14th Aug 2014

Nice place to stay. Great atmostphere in the kitchen. Some guests were playing music :) However, half of stove were not working and I hope there was enough space in the refrigerator :(

• 21st Jul 2014
  • South Korea

I wanted to stay at a place close to the center of Auckland, at a good price, and this place was right next to the Sky Tower! The staff was friendly and helpful, and best of all, I was able to make many friends from different countries just by hanging around in the kitchen!! Very International!

The hostel is located in the middle of Auckalnd city! It is a good place to stay for one night. There are many Japanese guests so I got many information from them. Also I got more detailed information from reception. I booked a room in the basement. However, the room was not available when I got there, then they upgraded the room to a better room without any extra charge. However, they need to buy a new refrigerator. There wasn't enough space to put my food in it.

• 15th Jul 2014
  • Austria

Although the rating was really bad, it was a quiet nice place to stay. The hostel is located very center of Auckland city and it is only 1 minute walking from Countdown. The front door is locked 24hours and there is a security door before the room door. People were having party in the kicthen when I was there. However, They should fix the toliet in the basement. I could meet many different people from different countries. Especially, there were many Asians! Which make me feel safe!

It was only one night but this place was one of best backpackers. People are very helpful and location is great. I had a lovely time.

• 4th Jun 2014
  • Nepal

I am not usually the type to leave a bad review, i know what to expect from a hostel as i have stayed in hundreds, and therefore dont have unrealistic expectations from them, i realise its a hostel not a hotel, however this place was awful. The room had no windows and wasnt properly ventilated, the whole place was stuffy and smelt of grease it made made me feel ill. I stayed out most of the night as i wanted to avoid being there, the kitchens and bathrooms were also appauling, dont stay here!!!

Hi Joe, We find that our rooms without windows are very competitively priced and best suit guests who are comfortable with this type of set up. We are more than happy to find people a solution in a windowed room if it is preferable! Our facilities including the kitchen and our bathrooms are about to go through an upgrade as we focused on improving our guests experience following recent comments!

Hello, My name is Antoine, i am have been travelling for years around the world in many different kinds of countries. I always use Hostel World because it s a very good website with good values. I have never been disappointed of my choices in therms of hostels. I am very disappointed of the "Surf and Snow" hostel. My experience there almost turned as a nightmare. I strongly don t recommend this place to anyone...

Hi Antoine, We are a very busy hostel and unfortunately it means that advance booking is sometimes required to secure long stays in the same room. We advise customers to check availability frequently or book in advance to avoid this sort or problem. We will be opening new 'long term' rooms shortly to help cope with this trend.

Very very poor cleaning at kitchen, bathrooms and rooms,not enough ventilation at kitchen and basement rooms, mattresses are destroyed, no enough maintenance at every corner, not comfortable.

• 24th Apr 2014
  • Argentina

Hi Nicolas, Our facilities including the kitchen and our bathrooms are about to go through an upgrade as we focused on improving our guests experience following recent comments. Also we have totally reviewed our cleaning operations in order to make sure we attain a constant high standard of presentation. Surf N Snow

I will never stay again. Kitchen is very dirty also very noisy. I couldn't cook there. I can't believe that guys cleaning female buth room. i was staying at female room but when stuff come in my room they didn't knock door n man stuff just came in. However location was good but friday n saturday night is so noisy also we cant close the window.. Anyway it was so uncomfortable It was worst backpackers.

• 10th Apr 2014
  • Japan

Hi Ayumi, We have had a complete review of our cleaning operations and updated our day to day tasks to ensure that cleanliness and presentation matches the expectation of our guests and their experience of our premise is improved. We have held meetings with our staff regarding their conduct and behavior in regards to disturbances you may have had and input policies to ensure the continuation of these ideas. We have asked our maintenance team to see that all windows are fully functional too.

Got a room without window Wifi very expansive Smelly bathrooms Kitchen not usable Adverised smokingarea was closed ---------------- Would not go there again

• 7th Apr 2014

Hi Christoph, We have rooms with windows always available if guest prefer to stay in these conditions and all guests are given the information before check in. Our WIFI is comparable to all local hostels and is available in all the rooms, we even have special free 500mb for guest staying for a week or more! Our kitchen is undergoing an upgrade as with some of our other facilities too! We decided to close our smoking area in the interest of guest safety.

We had read the bad reviews but thought we would give it a try, it was the end of our trip and we needed a cheapish private room. But the room was the worst we had experienced in the whole of New Zealand! No window, with no natural light coming in at all, really stuffy and a terrible ventilation system, why could we smell everything being cooked in the kitchen in our room that was 3 floors above! Also the kitchen was disgusting and very little utensils, we couldn't bring ourselves to cook in it.

HI Frankie, Guests are advised prior to check in if the room has no windows and we are more than happy to accommodate any changes to suit your preferences at this stage also! Our kitchen is a main social hub and can get quite busy, so we have it cleaned 4 times a day and our staff go on a hostel hunt for missing utensils every day! Every week if we are short on things we have them replaces for your convenience.

The staff at the reception are super friendly, professional yet very diverse. I heard at least 5,6 languages spoken and they helped me with all my travel plans like booking a tour and figuring out the best transportation. My room was pretty neat & tidy when I checked in and they provided me with clean linens. The kitchen was a great place to meet people and have fun, and everything was cleaned and put away in the morning due to the hard work of their cleaning staff. I would definitely come back!

• 22nd Mar 2014
  • Japan

Dirty place. I had to ask for new sheets. Smelly and very unclean. Won't spend a dollar anymore in this place.

• 21st Mar 2014

Well I did only stay there for one night! But the rooms where so dirty and the sheets felt very old and unclean! They didn't have anything for the windows at night so it was lot dark.. We only stayed here cause everything else was booked! Would not stay here by choice

I love this place! To begin with, it has the most awesome location where the famous Sky Tower is simple part of your room view, and it's so easy to go anywhere from here, Queen St, the harbor, Victoria Park, bars and restaurants, you name it. Secondly, they have a very valuable 24hr reception meaning there's always someone for me. In my case, my flight was delayed and I arrived around 1am. I thought I was gonna spend the night in the hall way only to find I was warmly greeted!!!!!

• 13th Mar 2014

We stayed in a private twin room, and it was a good price considering it to be private. Although the staff couldn't speak english and they apparently forgot to tell us, and pretty much the rest of the people staying at the hostel, that they had changed the security codes on the door. So we couldn't get back in... Two more things; you can hear everything through the walls and the internet is so expensive it's ridiculous. I am not going back there again.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7