Surfside Backpacker Reviews

Corner Great Ocean Road & Gambier Street, Apollo Bay, Victoria, Australia

I really enjoyed this hostel. I was only there for 1 night but i would come back in the future. there were two big kitchens which was really nice! the only problem was that there were flies EVERYWHERE! they were really annoying. The bathrooms were really nice, and the lady who owns the hostel was very kind.

no security lockers, but owner willing to store luggage in locked area. very homey feeling, a little bit of a walk from the town center/grocery store (not far, unless you have heavy grocery bags). free wifi for 3 hours per night. owner very helpful/accomodating and plenty of space/common areas.

Nice little place with ocean view, but facilities are highly dated. It was quiet while we were there but if it was full I have a feeling the bathrooms woudl have quite a wai. It would appear the owner needs some help keeping it clean and such. She seemed very nice, but there's a lot to keep up for just one old woman. The whole internet for only a little while in the evening is a bit weird...

Robyn, the manager, was very helpful with recommendations. Thankssss

For me it's one of the best hostel in Australia. Additional you can rent a surfboard and wet suits for not so much money.

• 24th Jan 2014

We arrived around 7 o clock , robin was so welcoming, gave us a tour and recommended places to eat and local supermarket. Was a ideal location especially after driving for 8/9 hours around the great ocean road. There was electric blankets as it was cold in the night , extra blankets. If I was do do great ocean again I would stay here again. If your lookimg for something orginal and lived in then this is the place for you , if u prefer sterile don't bother.

• 19th Jan 2014

Had a nice stay at Surfside backpacker. Relaxed atmosphere and a great view. Apollo Bay is a quiet town, not much going on in the evening. Only free wifi from 6pm - 9pm.

The hostel was filthy and not kept to a good standard. The bathrooms were disgusting, but this was down to other guests not cleaning up after themselves. Some of the hostel guests lit a fire even though there was a fire ban! I would not recommend this hostel at all. I stayed in a 4 bed female dorm and was thankful that I'd only booked one night! The location is good, it's close to the beach and to the shops/restaurants in Apollo Bay, but that's the only good part.

Lovely hostel right by the beach. Great atmosphere and really chilled out. Load of places to sit and read. Best hostel ever. Amazing sea views

Property requires a thorough clean and updating.

• 21st Dec 2013

The place is good when you drive along GOR, but that is the only reason to stay there. There seems not much cleaning to be going on, and the facilities are old and run down. Bearable for one night.

Is an older establishment an could do with a tidy up but it's in a ideal location when travelling the great ocean road an has beautiful views of the beach.

• 23rd Nov 2013

The location is great but I did not have a great experience here - we were in the common room, which stated it was fine to use until 12 but we were kicked out about 11:30 and we were generally treated like children at that time - like going to a hostel with your Mum! Facilities were fine but a bit old.

there is a lack of cleanliness especially of the restrooms, which are really old and in a bad condition.

This is the BEST hostel in Australia!!! Friendly kind owner, great facilities and beautiful ocean view!! I'd like to stay here again.thank you very much:)

• 5th Nov 2013
  • Japan

I stayed here over a long weekend, so the place was packed. Nevertheless, I could still access showers and kitchen facilities without much wait. I enjoyed my stay.

• 3rd Nov 2013