Surfside Backpacker Reviews

Corner Great Ocean Road & Gambier Street, Apollo Bay, Australia

Nice location, about a 5 minute walk from town with a view over the ocean. Everything was clean and comfortable. We'd booked the twin room but were given a queen - apparently the description is wrong on hostelworld (this was resolved as it was quiet so I stayed in a dorm room by myself while my friend took the queen bed) and there are no twin rooms. The kitchen facilities were good, but it was inconvenient that wifi is only available between 6pm and 10pm. The owner is friendly and very helpful.

We were greeted by a lovely lady who was very helpful, we had been driving all day and she made us feel very welcome! It was a freezing day so was great to find that all the beds had heated blankets! Beautiful waking up to see the ocean. But could have done with some towels in the room as we had paid for a private room.

• 22nd Jun 2014

Great location. nice owner. would stay again

• 17th May 2014

Nice hostel but unfriendly owners that switched off lights without any comment in the living room around 10pm...they were not willing to offer any solution after complaining about that, but reacted pretty unfriendly and just referenced ti the house rules...cannot recommend this hostel even though the house was clean...

I really liked this hostel, Robyn was lovely and went out of her way to make us feel welcome and helped us the following day with directions and places to see. The hostel has a really homely feel to it, and beds were comfortable and clean. Bathrooms spotless too. Would definitely stay here again.

not really clean..

I really enjoyed this hostel. I was only there for 1 night but i would come back in the future. there were two big kitchens which was really nice! the only problem was that there were flies EVERYWHERE! they were really annoying. The bathrooms were really nice, and the lady who owns the hostel was very kind.