Surfside Bondi Beach Backpackers Reviews

35a Hall St, Bondi Beach, Sydney, Australia

Our room had lots of cockroachs bondi has lots of cockroachs but this was terrible! I got utter cheek off the staff (he thinks he's better than every1 u work in a hostel u idiot &to be told cockroachs are not dirty they just like to live in dirty places (so yeah your hostel dirty). Next night I found 1 in my bed!!! The cleaners just flung all my belongings about to clean the floor, Toilets & showers are disgusting, the young girls never change the bottom sheets I watched them doing it a few time

• 19th Mar 2014
  • Scotland

Extremely rude staff, extremely dirty rooms.

• 16th Mar 2014

Staff was rude and unhelpful. I found cockroaches in my bedroom and another resident whom I did not know snuck into my room at night without welcome.

• 14th Mar 2014

No aircon, no free wifi and no free linen!!! Otherwise it is close to bondi beach and bondi rd for clubbing, thats all.

The information on hostelworld was not correct! But first staff was unfriendly, its not free wi-fi have to Pay for that! Linen is not included you have to Pay for that! They only provide the half breakfast you have to buy own milk! You have to Pay for locker! To many People in small rooms dangerous to climb up to top bunk one Guy fall down no stairs up!

dirty rooms, very poor breakfast, everything was little bit chaotic

• 16th Jan 2014
  • Czech Republic

I was disappointed when I arrived as I thought I was staying at surfside as it advertises but be careful read the small print before you book as it states you could be transferred to Lamrock Lodge if there is not enough room I didn't read the small print and this is where I ended up staying , if ur on ur own its down a darker street so not a great location surfside would be better as its in a lit up area but staff at both hostels are lovely and helpful.. I stayed in my own room private gud room

• 13th Jan 2014

Pre-arrival information sent on email was superb, good location near the beach and staff went above and beyond to assist moving to the sister hostel (with full refund) due to too many cockroaches in the room. The only place Ive booked and never stayed in unfortunately but once fumigated should be fine for partying backpackers who want to be close to the beach.

So the hostel location is good, close to the beach and all.. but is so gross, the kitchen is so dirty and filled whit unclean plates and food in the sink. Also the people living there is not the most friendly so its hard to make friends. the dorms has nothing, you have a bed and thats it, no lamp and no space at all for you backpack. we stayed for 4 nights and absolutely hated it. I travel a lot and stayed at many hostel so not that picky but this one is not good

Booked the 14 bed dorm which then in small print says they will place you in either bondi or coogee! They placed me in coogee. They then said I can stay in the same bed as my friend in bondi, I booked four nights and they told me my last two nights I could have my own bed, this didn't happen! When we first arrived they didn't even have a bed for my friend an told us to go out and they will text is what room we are in, obviously no text arrived so had to walk around the rooms looking for a bed.

Actually stayed at COOGEE!!! Received email of where I was staying at 11am the morning I was meant to move in. Poor organisation. Girl in reception is rude. Arrived late and key to room was left out for anyone to take and gave me wrong key

• 2nd Jan 2014

Such an amazing time! Amazing people, amazing atmosphere!

• 27th Dec 2013

I stayed over new year so was very expensive. Lock didnt work on bedroom door, a very noisy place where I really struggled to get any sleep. Landing always buzzing with people. Just 2 showers and 2 toilets in the girls wash facilities, generally not very clean. No locker provided but they are on the landing so more than likely I could have requested I felt it was best to carry my valuables around with me. Take ear plugs if you stay here. Friends stayed in noahs backpakers, far better.

• 24th Dec 2013

I couldn't make it due to a death in my family, and the guy refused to refund any of my £250, even though I hadn't even arrived, shocking!

Loved my stay here! Such an awesome location and loved the hostel :)

I really had a great time while staying at Surfside Bondi!! I was there for two weeks and I met loads of people and made some really good friends.. The localtion couldn't be better... minutes from the beach and all the shops in town and right by the bus stop.... The staff over the Christmas holidays were amazing, as I am a vegan they prepared food for me which wasn't something I even thought of asking for... They approached me and asked and made it happen.. Thank you so much.Had an unreal time

This was the first hostel I stayed in, in Aus & to be honest I was a little sceptical after reading some of the other reviews, but I absolutely loved my stay at Surfside!! Don't get me wrong it isn't the cleanest & doesn't have the best facilities, but the atmosphere & the people staying there were amazing! There's a really good outside area where we all had drinks and a bbq with some music, it's all so chilled out. I really didn't want to leave and will defo be going back!!

Great staff, great location and price but it is not very clean at all. Many hostels are stepping up in their hygiene, yet my room I was barely able to move.

I'm a little older than most that stay here, but it wasn't an issue. Staff placed me in room where i was able to get some sleep and they made sure it was quiet after 10 pm by asking guests to move the party out on the town. That was the one thing that stood out, the staff. The property offers a cheap bed near the beach with a staff that will bend over backwards to meet your needs.

• 14th Nov 2013

The worst place I've ever been. Relocated in Coogee Beach just with an email few hours before. 14 beds room without any room for your bag and just 2 toilets and shower for the whole hostel. They didn't even clean the toilets during the 2 nights I stayed there.

• 8th Nov 2013