Surfside Bondi Beach Backpackers Reviews

35a Hall St, Bondi Beach, Sydney, Australia

The above review was based on the sister lodge lamrock. The hostel at 35a hall was AMAZING. Do not stay at lamrock hostel. The surf side bondi hostel was amazing, staff were extremely helpful, location was great and atmosphere was incredible. Surf side had ALL the facilities and lamrock had nothing but travel brochures. I would not recommend lamrock. The kitchen I'd disgusting as are the bathrooms. Staff and people were very rude. I cannot stress enough that surf side bondi was incredible. 5/5

• 5th Feb 2016

I love Surfside! The people here are awesome. The beach is like 2min down the street, the people are so nice and the staff always wants you best! I've never stayed in a better hostel.

• 3rd Feb 2016
  • Austria

If you want to think you're part of Geordie shore crew, this is a perfect spot for you. Most guests were young Brits getting pissed all the time. Bathroom and the dorm was extremely dirty, lots of long term stayers. Checked out after one night.

Really welcoming, friendly hostel. Great place to hang out and meet people from all over The world.

• 1st Feb 2016

Towels, wifi and linen aren't free as they advertise on HostelWorld. $3 taken off of your deposit for linen, $3 for every hour of wifi and $10 if you would like to buy a towel.. Clean toilets, comfy beds.. No air con, rooms are stifling hot. The whole hostel went out as a group, social atmosphere but told to leave and be quiet at 9.45! Overall, good value for money and you get what you pay for.

The hostel was secure getting into, however the rooms were often left open with the bins.

• 28th Jan 2016

ive stayed in heaps of hostels before so it was sad to see that probably my worst hostel experience was in my own country. Paying $3 for linen is stupid especially when you don't allow people to use their own. Should just have it included in the base fee. Also should provide free breakfast as advertised, and not make people buy their own milk, very tight in my opinion. Generally the only great thing is the location, but in my eyes this isn't enough to justify cutting corners everywhere else.

• 7th Jan 2016

Good location and security. Rooms are pretty run down, bunks aren't great and the wifi didn't work at all.

Bit messy/loud in the rooms, but everything else was very good. Nice staff, location, price, clean toilets

• 18th Dec 2015

This hostel has received many excellent reviews. If you are looking for a total party experience, then look no further. There are plenty of friendly young people to chug whiskey with. Note: dorm room doors are open all night and all day long. The customer service here is fine, but there is luggage and swim gear everywhere.

• 16th Dec 2015

I stayed there for 4 nights with a friend. On the first night the whole hostel went to a party together, which was a great start. Apart from that, the atmosphere is communal, the people are nice and interesting and the place is tidy (for traveler standards). It's a great way of meeting travelers from all around the world, and it's a two-minute walk fron Bondi Beach!

• 16th Dec 2015
  • Israel

Not that great. A bit chaotic, staff weren't always helpful, beds weren't great, place wasn't particularly well kept. Tolerable for a night or two purely for beach location and convenience though.

Great atmosphere and fantastic staff!

The staff weren't very helpful with checking in. I was early so I asked if I could lock my luggage up and they told me to put it in the tv room where everyone had access to. We had keys to the room but they were always propped open and never locked. No lockers were available large enough for your bags which I didn't feel very comfortable leaving my stuff. One morning I went to brush my teeth and the sinks had been removed. Overall it wasn't a great experience but the location is great.

Upon arrival we were sent to another hostel around the corner. We already paid at Surfside. But in the other hostel we were not welcomed very pleasantly-a rude russian receptionist was insisting on another payment, he did not understand good English and was more frightening than welcoming. Horrible customer service. Also Surfside-nothing I would recommend. Breakfast included?! What you get is a container full of oats worth not even a dollar and that´s it- not even complimentary milk or coffee..í ½

Great location, on one of the busy streets leading down to the shore. Some of the staff seem super nice and friendly, happy to chat to anyone, while others are less enthusiastic. Reception is closed in the afternoon, which I don't understand and they do seem a little disorganised, but it didn't affect my stay at all. The showers are GREAT considering you're in a hostel, really gets that sand out of your hair! There seem to only be two ladies toilets altogether though...

Nicer staff, who cares a bit more about people than money

The room was horrendously messy with no where to keep my belongings other than a gap in the middle of the floor. Guests were unfriendly and seemingly rude when I, the only girl in an 8 bed supposedly 'mixed' dorm, asked to switch from top bunk to a bottom. Staff were about average, not really bothered. I will be sure not to book here again.

Breakfast leaves a lot to be desired for the cost, despite being a premium location having a communal milk is really not too much to ask or some toast. Not talking organic wholemeal sourdough! Just some basic sliced bread...? Some staff good, some not so good. The TV room is also used as a "dorm"/sleeping area so be warned. Taking the $3 out of the deposit for laundry/housekeeping is a pretty average idea. Overall though quite friendly and good for tours/backpackers who want to work their stay.

DO NOT GO. 100% the worst hostel I've stayed at in Australia and in years of traveling. The room was so disgusting I took a video of it to show friends at home. It looked like a refugee camp. The regulars (there are many people living there) keep the doors to rooms unlocked and there's nowhere to store your belongings besides small lockers outside the room that you have to pay for, so you better have a lock for your bag. The "free" wifi as advertised is only one hour of wifi, after you pay.