Surfside Coogee Beach Backpackers Reviews

186 Arden Street, Coogee, Sydney, Australia

The room was open 24/7 couldn't lock or even shut the door as there was other rooms in my room no toilet roll in any toilet had to buy my own for $32 a night not great also cockroaches everywhere

• 6th Feb 2016

So, this is a rare occasion where I feel a review is warranted to highlight the shortcomings of a venue, in the hope that they'll sort their stuff out. I only stayed the night. Was greeted by no one, even though it was in their reception opening hours. One lovely girl who kind of worked there helped me out. Seemed like the entire staff had been hitting the bottle a little hard though, which was apparently the reason no one was working.. Greeting the customer well is the cornerstone of any hostel

• 2nd Feb 2016

The main thing about this hostel is the location, that is really good! Instead of that its not very clean, Internet is not free, the kitchen is very very small, it's very loud by night, staff is ok, there is a McDonald down the building so if you're lucky you can get the wifi! So I'll say that it's okay for the money you pay....

The staff don't recommend you places, they don't know how to be helpers on your stay. Not very nice.

The reason I am giving up on youth hostels. The bathroom conditions in the girls dormitory were atrocious. Everyone chose to use the hallway bathrooms instead because at least that might get cleaned every few days. Entire place out of toilet paper for a day. Girls dorm door does not lock and there were several creepy guys lingering in the halls. Reception was party central with beer all over the floor. Appliances broken. Intoxicated people everywhere. Girls dorm has mites according to some users

Not very clean at all! Massive waits for the showers communal and in the room and no security in the rooms.

Hostel was in a perfect place as just across from beach and plenty surrounding shops. Staff at hostel were lovely and happy to help with anything. They were able to provide deals on certain things to do in the city. Rooms were too small and dirty. Beds had mites in them! Shower accommodation was ridiculous! Very smal and cluttered with rubbish. Toilets didn't work! Price didn't include breakast and had to pay for bedding! Didn't enjoy my stay here at all!!

• 25th Dec 2015
  • Scotland

Perfect location, right next to the beach!! great for just sleeping though mattresses are are bit thin. staff were great and helpful especially around xmas time. they had a lot on to keep you entertained over xmas if you didn't have any plans

No the best of hostels no air con or fan Small kitchen which is part of the reception and common area They have crammed as many beds as possible in each room Location is great coogee is amazing just this hostel isn't

It's a shame that a hostel in a great location is tainted by GREED and poor management. As humans we achieve happiness by making others happy. Poor management and a general lack of respect for the place, is reflected in the staff, the lack of cleanliness and the severe lack of facilities. It's only a matter of time until someone else, offers a better experience in a similar location in more of a balanced fashion.

• 30th Nov 2015

While we were in our full room, another guest unlocked the door and came in. Turns out he went to the wrong room but his key worked in our door. Kind of sketchy. There weren't enough showers for the amount of people staying. The location is amazing though. Right across from the beach and the bus stop is at the front door

Amazing location, reel friendly staff:) other than that its pretty average. Overall i have seen better but the beach is right across thestreet so if you are just looking tochill for a couple days its fine if you want more going on..maybe not.

This hostel was poorly run, check in is not available at times you would expect to be able to check in, staff were rude and unhelpful, extra charges were added for sheets after booking with hostel world which felt like a very check way of charging more. The general cleanliness and functionality of facilities was low. I have stayed at many hostels around the world and this was easily the worst.

• 6th Nov 2015

I've never been so scared to stay in a hostel. Done my fair bit of traveling all over the world. HAnds down the dirtiest, unkept, most sketchy place I've ever stayed in. Staff was completely unprofessional, male that greeted me at the door was drunk, grumpy. Receptionist was grumpy. Opened the room I was staying in only to find Gehrig Drunk man making my bed. Room common areas had dishes everywhere. It looked like a frat party happened in a crackhouse. Would never recommend this to anyone.

• 5th Nov 2015

My friend and I stayed here for 2 nights after landing in Australia. Our room was absolutely FILTHY. We were in a women's dorm room, but there were other travellers living in that room for up to 9 months. Needless to say, everyone else's belongings were everywhere, the washroom looked like it hadn't been cleaned in months, and people were freely walking in and out out our room, even if they were not staying in our dorm. Beautiful location, but not worth staying at this hostel for it.

very very dirty. one of the housekeepers got so drunk in the middle of his shift that he passed out and peed on our couch. he was not fired or even suspended. also overheard him telling another employee that he is not paid enough to clean the bathrooms.

This place was pretty dirty, no lockers or anything and tiny rooms. The 'free wifi' is like 2 hours free wifi for your entire stay and it doesn't even work. I'm glad I'd only booked one night as I could leave without a fuss. Rates have since gone up so you may as well stay somewhere decent in the city centre like Bounce.

Very good, checked out late but they were cool about it, defiantly recommend

• 23rd Sep 2015

staff were very nice and helpful. Having two locations, one in Coogee and one in Bondi made it easy to go between both. they have good deals with tourist activities and phones. other guest were rowdy but friendly but you don't have to be apart of it. overall a happy stay at surfside.

• 19th Sep 2015