Surfside Coogee Beach Backpackers Reviews

186 Arden Street, Coogee, Sydney, Australia

Quite a good hostel to just party. Having the beach and all the bars, cafés and restaurants close by it located .So for lunch you have to prepare it the day before or manage to get your stuff to cook before they close the reception - quite annoying. Moreover, bed bugs. Not really complaining about that but more about how they managed to get rid of them - by doing nothing. Letting me change the room wasn't a solution at all. Facilities are ok

• 8th Apr 2014

We have never been treated so rudely or experienced anything like we did at this hostel. Our deposit wasn't taken off the balance and then we were threatened with having to pay over and above what we were meant to. We've stayed in heaps of hostels all through Europe and made changes to our bookings with no issue so no idea why this place thinks it can treat people like that. Would never stay again.

It says on hostel world there is free parking.....there isn't, the staff were nice enough but the general feel to the place was to try and get as much money off you that they can, a huge amount of rules and fines for the most petty things, the atmosphere is not good unless you like to drink far too much and act like a kid, will not stay here again.

I left the hostel at 1:30 am with a cab and had to spend the rest of the night at the central station. everybody around me was drunk. the manager or owner couldn´t be found. I decided to leave when my drunk roommates started to open my suitcase. don´t go to that place!! it´s a mess! Spend your money on something else!!

• 1st Mar 2014

Stayed here during mardi gras so it was hard to find accommodation somewhere else. We payed for a six bed share and got placed in a corridor where people came and went all night, there was one guy sleeping on the sofa and it was very dirty! The hostel had about 100 guests, one kitchen which barely could be used. Almost no place to sit and eat. Very crowded and very weird people! Dirty! The worst stay so far during my trip in Australia.

Over priced for what you get, small rooms packed full and despite payin $37 a night found out I had to share a bed. Some staff were lovely and helpful but others just complained that they were over worked and didn't want to help, not really what you expect when it is that expensive . Nice size though and great location

• 26th Feb 2014

Had a great stay will be back again

• 8th Feb 2014

Would definately recommend this hostel.

• 7th Feb 2014

If you are looking for a chilled out hostel with a great atmosphere then Surfside is perfect! Although the cleanliness isn't top notch, they come and clean the rooms every morning. The atmosphere of the hostel is the best part, everyone chills out together and the staff are so nice and relaxed. You couldn't get a better location as it is right on the beach! I loved Surfside and would definitely return!

Not much to say.... i love the ffree Mc feed card they give you to use on the mc donalds downstairs (as much as yo want). for 5 bucks with the card u get: big mac, small fries and small soft drink, sundae. hostel isalright.

Ridiculous way of doing business. They even asked me to pay the entire amount prior to check in what is not the way of making a booking through hostelworld.com (remember:the initial charge is 10%) - the amount that I paid and haven't been reimbursed. Simply rip off. I'll never use hostelworld again and Sydney will never ever be a destination for me. It's a dirty, expensive "wannabe city" with nothing to see. I'd recommend to visit Brisbane instead !

• 30th Dec 2013

Really good location, for a 12 bed dorm a little expensieve and there where 2 other rooms inside the 12 bed dorm, so there where an other 16 people how came back in the night through my room.

• 28th Dec 2013

The kitchen was'nt that clean. It was disgusting that the staff and other people slept in the kitchen. The toilet on the first floor was not ok. Only one tap was working and the other one was the water to hot.

• 27th Dec 2013
  • Denmark

Staff charged $3 for washing the sheets. This is a cost that is not disclosed appropriately at booking. Other guests commented about bugs and a staff member was using Mr Muscle (domestic oven cleaner) to spray sheets of affected guests. Saw new mattresses lined up in hallway. No I would not stay again and recommend going elsewhere. BTW I have travelled the world for over 20 years and this is in the bottom 10% of places I've stayed in. No locker in room. Door open to many.

Staff here were very rude and felt like I was being judged by them, whereas at almost every other hostel I've stayed at ive been welcomed warmly and felt included and felt like they actually were there to meet travelers, this place however felt like I was just a wallet. Also, we booked in and paid for a 12 bed dorm but instead were put in a 14 bed dorm (when this wasn't even an option on the website), which may not sound too bad but displays false advertising and lack of attention to detail.

• 28th Nov 2013

Bad staff, small rooms with a lot of beds inside, dirty toiletts

Dirty and smelly hostel. Unfriendly and unknowledgable staff. Would not stay here again. Worst hostel we stayed at in Australia, we'd been travelling for 2 months when we stayed here.

• 26th Nov 2013
  • Norway

Wouldn't want my dog staying in this place

hostel very dirty staff hard to met, in room of 12 beds sometimes slept 15 people, kitchen and freezer sooooo dirty than I did not leave any food

Booked a 10 bed, put in a room with 14 beds that were packed together in a room that shouldn't have had more than 8-10 beds. The room was hot, smelly, had no windows and almost no room to move. The kitchen is incredibly small and you end up waiting hours to cook. No hot water in the showers, which are just stalls in the bathroom with nowhere to set anything. The location is nice, very loud, but right across from the beach. I wouldn't stay there again but there are worse hostel, I guess...