Surfside Coogee Beach Backpackers Reviews

186 Arden Street, Coogee, Sydney, Australia

The Location is directly on the beach and you have a nice view. But the Hostel isn't the cleanest, the kitchen ist too small for so much people and the rooms are without air conditionor. The Price is to expensive for what they offer. Further there is no possibility to dry your clothes purely with the dryer for 4 Dollars

• 8th Jan 2015

We stayed for 2 nights here andThe rooms were dirty and the bathrooms even worse and we had to chase after about 10 cockroaches, it smelled really bad and it was so hot with no fan, no aircon and just a small window toward a closed backyard with no breeze, with 12 people in a dorm this was unbearable. I read a few reviews before which seemed good but found out at check in that if you write a good recommendation you get free wifi....

• 5th Jan 2015
  • Sweden

When we arrived there, we were told that they had just sold our beds...we didn't actually get to stay there!! I could see that the hostel was filthy, but did have a nice beachside location. Also, the website clearly states there is free parking at the hostel - this is a lie! There is 4 hour public parking close by, but you would need to move the car every 4 hours and trying to get a space is nearly impossible. Overall, the worst hostel experience!

it need to be closed down,!!!

The hostel was a mess,,, no staff to clean it stunk,, 22 people in a 10 bed dorm..

This hostel has been the worse I've ever been to. Its filthy, fire hazards everywhere, people smoking cannibas, the ladies toilets/showers were disgusting and flooded, I was told they were always flooded so it wasn't a one off. I had booked a superior 6 bed dorm for me and my friend but they had put us in an 8 bed filthy dorm , I was also told my bed was already taken! They couldn't accommodate our booking so we had to sleep in the car. I have emailed the manager asking for a full refund.

The best thing that can be said for surf side coogee is that it's right across the street from the beach. Other than that, the bathrooms are disgusting, flooded and smell like an armpit. The kitchen is extremely limited so you can eat cereal and bread and that's it. Also beware of excellent reviews because they give free internet to whoever rates them well.

• 27th Dec 2014

The hostel was not so good. The rooms where a mees. The only thing where the owner can think about is money. But the people who stayed there were amazing i make a lot new friends. Location is also super.

• 26th Dec 2014

Genuinely the worst hostel I've ever stayed in. Including Cambodia and Laos where they have no money. The staff who work behind the counter are just unhelpful and rude and if it wasn't for the location this place would have gone out of business a long time ago. Avoid at all costs

My buddy and I stayed here for 3 nights, actually we didn't even stay the third night, we just wanted to get out of there. Don't book more than one night without staying there first, bad idea. It was so dirty and loud with no space to put our things. I slept one night with all my bags on my bed because there was barely room to walk. The bathrooms are the worst! I only met one of the staff members (I forget her name) she was sweet and helpful but other than that, nada!

This was the worst hostel I've ever stayed in and I've stayed in many. Really bad overall experience: disgusting bathrooms, unfriendly and unhelpful staff, unclean kitchen with cockroaches and reckless visitors who party every night all night long with noise that makes it impossible to sleep for others.

Love this place. Perfect location next to the best beaches of Sydney. Every night smashing it

• 16th Dec 2014

Perfect location on the beach front, comfy beds we got to stay in a double too which was lovely! Pans in kitchen are abit rubbish no chance of frying an egg as everything sticks and electric hobs take forever to get hot. As a couple everyone was really friendly and accomodating daniella was awesome. The lack of wifi is a downfall even the codes did not work. The 3 aud taken for washing bed sheets is also the reason i wont rate higher. No hot water in bathroom taps either but we enjoyed our stay

Rude staff, worst toilets I have seen. The free breakfest was a joke. Cereals but you had to buy your own milk.

There were multiple times where I over heard staff talking to other people staying at the hostel with an attitude. If you work in hospitality/customer service you should behave in a professional manner. The lock to our room was broken and unfixed the entire time I was there which meant leaving all our things we had to keep the door ajar. I found the staff again unfriendly the majority of the time. Other than that the location is of course amazing right on the beach but wouldn't return

• 2nd Dec 2014
  • New Zealand

Fantastic location for Coogee beach, literally just across the road and also near all the bars, shops and restaurants. My room didn't have any lockers and I think only a couple of plug sockets. Bathroom was tiny and always soaking and was completely insufficient for the number of people trying to use it. On checkin they advised you that they would take an additional 3 dollars from your room key deposit for cleaning the bed sheets. Surely this is standard and should be included in advertised pri

not bad. the young bloke running the show there was good. the other staff where rude and tried to bully u into do things. Free breakfast is a joke, embarrassing actually. have to buy your milk. book at 6 bedroom but hot a 9 bedroom.

Great location over looking he beach and a fun atmosphere. The rooms and kitchen could have been cleaner, you have to pay for lockers, and you don't get your whole deposit back when you leave though.

The guy at the reception is a proper chav. They take $30 deposit. When I left he gave it back minus a few dollars. I asked why, he replied "we offer 30min free internet". Couldn't believe how stupid this guy was. I nicely explained that i didn't use their internet, anyway he can't call that "offering" for he charges for it. He simply replied "i suppose". This guy seemed pretty dumb to me. Just not very necesary to try to get a few more bucks in a cheeky way.

• 8th Nov 2014

They didnt accept my booking trough hostelworld

• 5th Nov 2014