Suzhou Watertown Hostel Reviews

#27 DaShiTou Lane,RenMin Road, Suzhou, China

Nice hostel. Close enough to walk to old Suzhou.

This hotel was cute and kitsch, but was a long walk away from the gardens and canals. The staff seemed short in replies and charged us 10 yuan deposit for a map of the city as they only had one. Our private room seemed pleasant however in the evening tiny bugs started appearing from under the bed and on the walls. We were bitten a lot during the night. Likewise in the common areas there were a lot of bugs due to the open space and muggy weather.

The location is decent but walking distances tend to get quite long. The hostel has a really nice courtyard with people actually spending time in there. I had really fun meeting other travellers! You can also borrow some board games from the hostel which makes it even easier to meet people. The beds were hard enough to make my Chinese friends happy, so if you're like me and like softer mattresses then it's going to be a bit hard to catch sleep. Also the room (dormitory) door was never locked.

Just an average hostel, literally nothing special at all.

We enjoyed our stay at the Suzhou Watertown hostel. Atmosphere was relaxed and people kind. The room was very nice and peaceful. It was great that you could rent a bike!

The hostel in in a central location just outside the city centre. We had a twin room, our mattress was so hard, it was a wooden plank with a cover over it. The room was equipped with a good airco. There is a tv-room where you can watch a lot of new movies. The staff was a little weird.

Amazing hostel for a such "small" city. Not all the staff members were speaking in English but they were all really nice. They accommodated the best room to our needs and change of plans. The atmosphere was really cozy and the food was delicious (they have a cook). Access to the hostel was easy from their given directions and the location is pretty good (center of the old city). Our room and the showers were clean.

Great hostel with very clean shared bathrooms,

I am so happy to have found this hostel. I loved everything about it and will definitely be back. Great atmosphere, comfortable bed, and it's a cool, funky location away from the noise and high-end gloss of other areas. That's a weird way to compliment a place, but it's in an old neighborhood and surrounded by narrow alleys where you get a much better feel for Suzhou than you would just a couple subway stops away. I'll be back soon.

• 16th Jul 2014

Has a great atmosphere. Staff was really friendly but it's sad that their English is so bad.

Couldn't sleep at night as there are too many mosquitoes in the room! Staff didn't give correct direction to the bus station. They don't provide English map :(

• 8th Jul 2014
  • Malaysia

Dear Guests: Frist,I apologize to you for the wrong station and english map . Our staff is new,so maybe he/she didn't understand your destination. But please believe that,We are sincerely want to help you. We had bought a lot of English maps,so maybe the staff don't know we really have. We will step up training for employees,but apologize to you once more,and thank you for you put forward our problem, We will try to do better.

The bed is ridden with BEDBUGS! That kept me up all night, I killed at least 20 of them throughout the night, plain horrible..

• 6th Jul 2014
  • Malaysia

This great atmospheric hostel was tucked away down an alley which meant quiet. Whilst the hostel is a little dusty in places with creaking floorboards, the character and atmosphere more than makes up for it. The building is also 200 years old! The bikes were cheap to hire and the staff were friendly and really helpful. Certainly a great place for all planned activities from a relaxing week to a action planned couple of days in Suzhou, this hostel suits all needs.

It was a really excelent place to stay. It was very comfortable! The place is very simple but have the essencial elements of a comfortable house. The owners are kind and friendly people. I would say didn't miss my own home staying at Watertown Hostel. I really loved the place, and definitively if I come back to Suzhou I wouldn't chose other place to stay. Thank you for this relaxing experience in your hostel, and I look forward to come back again!

Overall good place for good price in Old Chinese home. So if you are looking for modern lodging this place i not for you. Spotless toilets and showers. The only think I didn't like was my bed, The mattresses very thin and totally uses out up and i felt more like sleeping the the wooden board than mattresses itself. They simply should evaluate all bed and replace the used ones.

The hostel offers anything a bagpacker could actually ask for. The location is perfect, close to the center of Suzhou and the main attractions of the city. The accommodation has a nice common area where people can use the free wifi and enjoy the friendly atmosphere. The staff was probably one of the nicest I've run into so fast, they are very helpful! They set out the projector to allow us to see the Italian team on a big screen (too bad we lost) and offered us a beer! Thank you for everything!

• 19th Jun 2014

We arrived at night, so it was a little scary walking down the dark alley with what seemed like shady characters. Only when we realised that there was a police station just 2 buildings away did we feel slightly safer. Requested for a twin bed but was given a double instead. Place was pretty barebone. Walk to the subway is challenging with luggage, otherwise near to the main shopping/eating district. Staff could definitely be friendlier.

I have fixed feelings for this hostel. The room was okay, the showers and bathrooms was okay but not so clean. The reading room with free use of computer and movies are really nice. The staff spoke poor english and couldn't help with map or nice things to see around Suzhou. The location was soso, around 1 km before you come to the core of the city

We would really recommend this hostel. The location is perfect (in the middle of Old Town), the staff is really friendly, the rooms are nice and clean with with small internal gardens and atmosphere is good! It's very convenient that you can rent bikes at this hostel to discover the city.

Staff extremely pleasant, great atmosphere, very clean and the added bonus of the bike hire is really good ! Good value for money.