Suzhou Watertown Hostel Reviews

#27 DaShiTou Lane,RenMin Road, Suzhou, China

Was running a little late and sent an email to inform the hostel, to which they promptly replied. The room was cozy, but the security wasn't very good. The door had to be locked by hand, which means if the last person to leave the room didn't lock the door, strangers could go in. We had a older lady staying in the same room and she was rude and obnoxious. Perhaps the hostel could explain the rules of staying in a hostel to future stayers.

We're sorry about your experience and thank you for your advice. Strangers are not allowed to the backyard and our staff ensure such policy. Besides, we strongly suggest that dorm guests deposit their valuable belongings with the reception or put them in the locker. Concerning the lady you mentioned, we noticed and suggested that she stay elsewhere. However, she insisted on staying in our hostel. We strive to keep the backpacker environment yet sometimes we have to receive other guests.

Staff were nice but not the best, good food and drinks. Very spacious hostel with awesome reading room with guitar, books, ancient computers and two comfy tv nooks. Bathrooms are good although quite cold in winter as mentioned, common room didn't have the best setup/vibe but overall a very impressive and comfortable hostel that's good for groups and individuals and you can spend time in, unlike others.

The (male) staff are rude and unfriendly, no shower got to go downstair to access it, bad traffic because of mrt construction but only the computer and reading room provide some comfort.

I'm sorry to bring you a bad travel experience, the male staff had been fired, thank you for your helping

Location wise not so good but not too bad. Booked 2 nights but check-out after first night. It is convert from an old Chinese house whereby the toilet is not in the same building as I stayed. It was raining the day I check-in, not heavy but weather quite cold, around 13 degree or below. For people who not so used to cold like me to walk along the open corridor to the toilet is a very challenging thing. Also, room 203 is very very dim, only one brown light. Can consider bathroom attached room.

soryy, bed dormitories,bathroom is outside.there is one toilet one the first floor,another one on the second floor.

We had a double bedroom with private bathroom complete with a fascinating shower head and bathroom light system. Make sure to bring mosquito repellents as the room was infested with the little fuckers. I had about 20 bites per leg. AC was not properly working

• 29th Sep 2014
  • Austria
  • All Male Group, 31-40

The staff were very helpfull. Thank uou very much. We enjoyed our stay in SuZhou very much.

• 23rd Sep 2014
  • Scotland

I've lived in China on and off for a while, and over the years have stayed in *three* hostels in Suzhou. Watertown was my favorite! It's a traditional building with a sweet courtyard that's actually set up to be used (including a covered area in case of rain), in a spot that is right by a subway stop and not too far from most of the gardens etc., but on a street where normal people live rather than right on top of a tourist area. My single room was clean and nicely decorated. Cute dog too!

Nice place, traditional and well located premises but the ground floor rooms are a bit fish bowl as they all have large windows and face into the (very nice) court yard.

This was a very comfortable hostel with helpful staff. They have a decent sized library and a good selection of DVDs as well. I would recommend this hostel to others in the future.

The location is great and the hostel itself is pretty nice in an old building. There are nice common areas conducive to meeting new people. My only gripe with this hostel is that one of the guys who works behind the desk acts like he'd rather cut off his own leg than help you and he's given me wrong information when I have asked questions about Suzhou, but the others are pretty good. Bring mosquito repellent if you're there in summer!

A relaxing hostel in downtown Suzhou. It's not the best location for seeing the sites but everything can be reached by a short bike ride. The hostel courtyard and common room are both nice and there's a huge selection of DVDs to watch. Staff are friendly and the food and drinks are reasonable.

The hostel is quite good, the atmosphere is nice. It's near the downtown, we can go to the shopping district or go to Ping Jiang Road at night by walking. The room a little bit too dark, but it's quite clean. The staff can understand english as well, and also quite helpful.

Nice Building and good facilities.

Nice hostel. Close enough to walk to old Suzhou.

This hotel was cute and kitsch, but was a long walk away from the gardens and canals. The staff seemed short in replies and charged us 10 yuan deposit for a map of the city as they only had one. Our private room seemed pleasant however in the evening tiny bugs started appearing from under the bed and on the walls. We were bitten a lot during the night. Likewise in the common areas there were a lot of bugs due to the open space and muggy weather.

The location is decent but walking distances tend to get quite long. The hostel has a really nice courtyard with people actually spending time in there. I had really fun meeting other travellers! You can also borrow some board games from the hostel which makes it even easier to meet people. The beds were hard enough to make my Chinese friends happy, so if you're like me and like softer mattresses then it's going to be a bit hard to catch sleep. Also the room (dormitory) door was never locked.

Just an average hostel, literally nothing special at all.

We enjoyed our stay at the Suzhou Watertown hostel. Atmosphere was relaxed and people kind. The room was very nice and peaceful. It was great that you could rent a bike!