Syok @ Chulia Hostel Reviews

458 Chulia Street, Penang, Malaysia

fabulous experience here ! staff here are very nice!

• 7th Jul 2014
  • China

I love this place. They think of all the details e.g. enough hooks and shelving in the showers, showers separate from toilets, privacy for the female dorm. The staff are lovely and very helpful. You can walk to most of the interesting places. Free breakfast. I recommend it!

We were a group of 4 and stayed in the mixed dorm. We all agreed that this is the best hostel we've ever stayed at. It has so much atmosphere and charm and the stuff is super friendly and able to answer any questions. The dorm is large with proper lockers, a new air con and big comfortable bunk beds. The bathrooms are perfect and unique. And towels, linen and breakfast are included. We can recommend this hostel to everyone who needs a place to stay in George Town - it's perfect!

• 3rd Jul 2014

Syok is centrally located, close to bus stops, supermarket, cafés, ferry terminal etc. The staff were super lovely. The hostel was very clean, especially the bathrooms. Excellent! Bed were quite comfortable and the aircon was great. Due to location, and building structure it was sometimes a bit noisy due to traffic but nothing to be overly concerned about. Wicked lounge area upstairs with TV, movies etc. Free breakfast and Wifi was quite good & accessible from dorm. Very happy overall!

Friendly staff, good location, expensive to do laundry through them (20MYR) Dorm room was excellent, large luggage lockers for each bed, very clean and comfortable beds, good air conditioning. Large bathroom for entire hostel with enough showers and toilets Breakfast was basic cereals and toast, as well as free coffee and tea all day. Communal area was great. Good wifi. NB - 50MYR cash deposit required for key

I booked this hostel because it's fairly new and no reviews about bed bugs. Value of money I would say it's really you pay what you get. It is one of the most expensive hostel around the place. If I am not alone. I can stay in budget hotel and split the cost of the hotel room with friend and it almost the same price I paid RM55 per night in a mixed dorm room with 8 beds. It's very busy street outside so wont's be easy to sleep till late night.

Probably one of the nicest hostels we've stayed in - great location, really lovely staff, big beds, free breakfast and a cool common area (which has books/dvds/computers/beanbags/sofas etc). The hostel staff were really helpful - they give you advice on buses, what to visit and let you come back and shower/chill after you check out if you have a late flight. Only bad thing was our room was right above the main road so it was quite noisy. Would still 100% recommend though.

• 27th Apr 2014
  • Scotland

My second time here, and I will be back for more!

I really enjoyed my stay in syok@chulia hostel. The staff were warm and welcoming.

• 20th Apr 2014

I love the the concept and artworks going around in the hostel. Everything was so beautifully created, it makes the stay very relaxing and enjoyable. Even staying in the lounge is a tempting idea (: Well location, good walk to great attractions around the area.

Fabulous hostel. Really well run with first class facilities. however the atmosphere was a bit flat at times but I did go in low season. Also I found it difficult to sleep as the hall light was very bright and the morning call to prayer and noisy traffic were on the adjacent street. Security could have been better in letting people into the hostel and even in rooms as only a curtain was used. Regardless of these discrepancies, I would recommend it to anyone going to Penang as a first choice c.

Very clean hostel with big, comfortable beds and individual power outlets and reading lights. Female dorms and bathroom are in their own wing. Nice rooftop terrace and indoor common space. Lacking in character for my tastes but meets all the flashpacker criteria that they advertise.

Really new facilities. Pretty quiet hostel but that was nice. Really friendly helpful staff. A little bit of noise from the street at night but that wasn't a huge issue. Great place!

Very nice and stylish hostel, bathroom extremly clean, staff very helpful and friendly, rooms are directed towards the street so don't forget your earplugs :-)

A bed side reading light for each bed would be a big plus.

This hostel is quite posh. The facilities are all perfect and super new, it's also always impeccably clean and has an artsy feel to it. It is quite a big hostel, so if you like cozy places you might not enjoy it here.

This hostel was lovely. We stayed in a 6 bed female dorm. Everyone had a big locker to store your rucksack. Everyone we met were really friendly. There was a common area which had plenty of games etc. Very clean bathrooms. The decor as well was just a bit quirky. Really liked it.

it was a nice hostel but there was no people.. i was by my self my 2 nights there..

This was one of the best hostels I have stayed in!

• 16th Feb 2014

Great hostel! Extra credit for Tim, small man with a big heart. Really nice guy who helped us a lot, told us where to go where to eat etc