Syok @ Chulia Hostel Reviews

458 Chulia Street, Penang, Malaysia

Reasonable price. Clean and quite near to Nasi Kandar Line Clear, Penang famous cendol, ais sagat and etc. The facilities were okay.

One of the best hostels I've stayed in. Really friendly and helpful staff, great facilities - large lockers, an awesome top floor lounge, clean and fantastic semi-outdoor shower/toilet facilities, perfect location in the heart of Georgetown. Only minor problem is that it can be a little noisy due it being on the main road intersection, and curtain instead of door partitioning the dorm rooms from the others.

Clean, comfortable, quiet, working Wifi, breakfast (cereals and toast) included, free tea and coffee the whole day. Staff was very helpful. I had to pay for a locker in the lobby area but nobody told me before and their websites advertises that lockers are all free - be aware of that.

Great little hostel well situated. Lovely staff. Very clean.

• 25th Jul 2014
  • New Zealand

Tim & his team are fantastic! Very informative & helpful. Hostel close to many tourist spots. Excellent facilities - towel, blankets, night light (with refundable RM50 deposit), huge lockers you can hang your clothes in (bring your own padlock). Spotlessly clean. Upbeat lounge area where you can chill with fellow travelers. Free tea,coffee & breakfast or bring your own food. Only downside is that most rooms face a busy street & may be noisy if you're a light sleeper. Otherwise 9/10.

• 24th Jul 2014
  • Malaysia

fabulous experience here ! staff here are very nice!

I love this place. They think of all the details e.g. enough hooks and shelving in the showers, showers separate from toilets, privacy for the female dorm. The staff are lovely and very helpful. You can walk to most of the interesting places. Free breakfast. I recommend it!

We were a group of 4 and stayed in the mixed dorm. We all agreed that this is the best hostel we've ever stayed at. It has so much atmosphere and charm and the stuff is super friendly and able to answer any questions. The dorm is large with proper lockers, a new air con and big comfortable bunk beds. The bathrooms are perfect and unique. And towels, linen and breakfast are included. We can recommend this hostel to everyone who needs a place to stay in George Town - it's perfect!

Syok is centrally located, close to bus stops, supermarket, cafés, ferry terminal etc. The staff were super lovely. The hostel was very clean, especially the bathrooms. Excellent! Bed were quite comfortable and the aircon was great. Due to location, and building structure it was sometimes a bit noisy due to traffic but nothing to be overly concerned about. Wicked lounge area upstairs with TV, movies etc. Free breakfast and Wifi was quite good & accessible from dorm. Very happy overall!

Friendly staff, good location, expensive to do laundry through them (20MYR) Dorm room was excellent, large luggage lockers for each bed, very clean and comfortable beds, good air conditioning. Large bathroom for entire hostel with enough showers and toilets Breakfast was basic cereals and toast, as well as free coffee and tea all day. Communal area was great. Good wifi. NB - 50MYR cash deposit required for key

I booked this hostel because it's fairly new and no reviews about bed bugs. Value of money I would say it's really you pay what you get. It is one of the most expensive hostel around the place. If I am not alone. I can stay in budget hotel and split the cost of the hotel room with friend and it almost the same price I paid RM55 per night in a mixed dorm room with 8 beds. It's very busy street outside so wont's be easy to sleep till late night.

Probably one of the nicest hostels we've stayed in - great location, really lovely staff, big beds, free breakfast and a cool common area (which has books/dvds/computers/beanbags/sofas etc). The hostel staff were really helpful - they give you advice on buses, what to visit and let you come back and shower/chill after you check out if you have a late flight. Only bad thing was our room was right above the main road so it was quite noisy. Would still 100% recommend though.

• 27th Apr 2014
  • Scotland

My second time here, and I will be back for more!

I really enjoyed my stay in syok@chulia hostel. The staff were warm and welcoming.

• 20th Apr 2014

I love the the concept and artworks going around in the hostel. Everything was so beautifully created, it makes the stay very relaxing and enjoyable. Even staying in the lounge is a tempting idea (: Well location, good walk to great attractions around the area.

Fabulous hostel. Really well run with first class facilities. however the atmosphere was a bit flat at times but I did go in low season. Also I found it difficult to sleep as the hall light was very bright and the morning call to prayer and noisy traffic were on the adjacent street. Security could have been better in letting people into the hostel and even in rooms as only a curtain was used. Regardless of these discrepancies, I would recommend it to anyone going to Penang as a first choice c.

Clean, modern hostel in a lively neighborhood. There was convenient transportation to all the major sites (and walking distance to others). The staff were really helpful and friendly. There were no doors to the dorm rooms, only curtains, which may be a stylistic thing but felt a bit less secure for the fact, but of course we had no problems anyway.