Tekweni Backpackers Hostel Reviews

169 Ninth Ave, Morningside, AF, 4001, Durban, South Africa

I would only recommend this hostel if you don't plan on sleeping and just want to party til 5 am. The staff is very unhelpful and you can't tell if they are guests or actually work there. Only shower that worked had only cold water that barely came out. We tried to go to bed but instead were kept up til 5 am due to Miami Club across the street which blasts music til all hrs. Although the dj did have a good set list! Worst hostel we stayed at on the whole trip. Has potential if it was cleaned up

If you are looking for sleep this hostel might not be the one for you. Loud Musik from the bar that was well hear able in my room ever night.

The customer service at Tekweni is pretty good and the ambiance is excellent for socializing and integrating with other backpackers.

If you're one with the party scene you might actually like this place. There is sure to be intercourse in the dorm rooms and staff that go harder than anyone else staying there. Even the beds are stiff as boards. A certain staff member also didn't have the deposit money for our room keys when we checked out. He went as far as to blame us for checking out at the wrong time. Not my bag. For my next visit to Durban I will surely be looking for a more accommodating place to stay.

We had a large group book for NYE and Tekweni took care of us. Excellent location for going out at night and about a 30 min. walk to the beach. Lockers in the rooms would be an improvemt but as it was there were no issues and we really enjoyed our stay. They even helped us ou when our bus company screwed up our travel plans. Great party hostel vibe! We'll stay again when we're in Durban!

Only stayed one night. But will definately stay again if I am in Durban. Great location close to Florida road.

I booked and paid for a 4 bed private room with private bathroom, only to get there and bed told there were none available. The manager didn't even come out of his office to discuss the issue with us. Not very impressed and can't say I will be back.

• 26th Dec 2015
  • South Africa

Tekeweni GOES OFF!! If you call 5 locals and a pool table then yeah it goes off. Good hostel with a lot of potential, staff are cool, everything good

Pros: great party atmosphere, staff extremely helpful and friendly, good pool and bar area, walking distance of bars and restaurants Cons: could be cleaner, no safes can only keep stuff behind the bar

Some problems with the geyser

• 24th Dec 2015
  • South Africa

Hostel overall was good, however. Some little updates or changes could be done such as buying new sheets instead of ones with holes. Also I stayed in a private room which could be the difference in my review from the rest. Initially, I was turned off from the reviews prior, but my experience was good.

• 20th Dec 2015

Staff were really disorganised and very few of them could actually help with advice on what to do in Durban and how to get around. Bathrooms were dirty and beds were very uncomfortable. Would not stay here again.

Hmmmm. Not our best review. I did some investigation into your stay and I believe you booked separate for yourself in the same dorm as friends and we couldn't get the same room for you on the last night as we were super busy. A situation beyond our control and i understand you were pretty unhappy about it and guessing that is probably the catalyst to a lot of this. I see no mention of our positive points either as i know Teks was buzzing then. Perhaps we aren't your type of place.

Place safe close to a street with many restaurants but not very clean (no bed linen...) and wifi was not working.

• 25th Nov 2015

Thanks for the review. Yes we have a cherry location no doubt about that. Not sure what happened while you were here though?? We do provide full bed linen and I don't recall having probs with our FREE Wifi.? Sorry if that was the case. Try us again please if you are back this way.

This place has amazing staff and huge common areas, so if you're a solo traveler and want to party, this place is great. It's also in an incredible location. However it is loud, and even with the staff's best attempts to keep it clean, I still saw roaches scuttle across the dorm beds when I flipped on a light. That's not their fault, but I think some people would be dissatisfied with the general cleanliness of the place. Pro tip: use the upstairs bathrooms, they are newly renovated and cleaner

Thanks for the review. Absolutely love the staff thing. Our biggest pride. Thanks. Look there will always be some roaches regardless when in Durbs. it is a fact of Durban life in our tropical climate. We do have a professional exterminator that comes monthly and we are very roach conscious generally with everything we do. But we do understand what you are saying. Yes good tip about the upstairs bathroom. We hope to see you back.

Well,is a party hostel. With everything you expect from a place like this. Its Well located,you have loud music and nice people drinking everynight. In otherside you will not sleep a lot - even if staying in a faraway room,cause you will have drunk people coming inside or talking loud on the corridor - the staff seems to be there just having a summer job and don't worry or don't know how to help you. The kitchen tools are old and the fridge is disgusting. Bathrooms were always clean.

Thanks for your review. Pretty good percentage rating. That is cool. Yes we are a festive place. At times more than others. We try to find an in between to assure a good quality stay. At times that balance is more difficult than others. We do pride ourselves in having good staff however. Certainly not just a summer job. They are pretty laid back but work hard at the same time and definitely there to help. You are entitled to your opinion though

I rarely have seen such a crapy place like this one. To be precise the stuff was ok and more or less helpful, but the sleeping rooms and the bath/shower were some of the worst I have seen so far. I can highly recommend to not go there if you don't wanna feel uncomfortable. It seems that the owner does not spend one single Rand into the maintanance of the building. Also Internet was not available at the room and in the groups area it was working slowly and there was very loud music (110 db).

Oh Geez. That is one harsh review. Did we catch you on a bad day? (See other reviews). Perhaps we are not your cup of tea as we are not for everyone.

I can highly recommend this hostel if you are staying in Durban! It is located just next to Florida Road, a safe and relaxed night life area. The staff is incredibly friendly and very helpful when it comes to organising activities. They sometimes offer Brais and broadcast major sports events in the garden. It's a very sociable place where tourists get the opportunity to meet locals. Dorms are clean and well maintained. Only minus: it is not really close to the beach.

We love you so so so much man. (See review above). You really get us and our place was created with exactly you in mind. Please come stay again!

Great place! Good location and fare price. The Wi Fi culd be faster.

Thanks for you flattering review. We are working at boosting the Wi Fi speed. Plenty of peeps and its free so not easy but working on it. Hope to see you back again.

Just stayed one night travelling with the Baz Bus but the bathrooms were clean and the room was far enough from the bar that there wasn't any noise late at night.

No noise late at night. Cool. A place to have fun and a place to get away. Thanks for the great review! hopefully you will make it back.

Stayed in a girl dorm where the smoker s area was right in front of our room. It was verynoise, couldn't get any sleep. Rooms were clean. My shower wasn't hot. The bar chad a great atmosphere. Staff was nice.

Ok mixed bag. We love compliments on our staff. Thats the best thing we can hear! That area outside the girls dorm generally gets cleared at night. i will follow that up. Sorry. We really hope to see you back again.