Tekweni Backpackers Hostel

Very Good 246 Total Reviews

• Finland, Female, 18-24
3rd Feb 2017
6.3

I really did not enjoy my stay overall. My sheets were full of yellow stains and holes. It was super hot in the room and even one of the bed was broken. I felt very uncomfortable there cause the place was full of drug users, even one of the staff members smoked weed while at work, not professional at all. There's a party every evening and it gets quite noisy. If you're all about drinking and getting blazed, I would stay there. For me it was just too much that I even wanted to leave earlier.

Thank you for your review. You were here in Durban in summer which is a very hot place. We do have fans in the rooms however but sometimes its not enough, that is true. I have checked the room that you were in and sorted out that bed as well as renewed the sheets that were not up to scratch. Thank you for pointing that out. The drug use. To be honest we may turn a blind eye to a bit of recreational use way out of the public eye. For some travelers its part of the reason they visit Africa. Your description however is not ok and we have had a serious staff meeting about it and it has been dealt with. I do see you rated us pretty well on a few things though including our staff (which we take great pride in) so I really don't think your stay was a total disaster. We do try and keep things festive but in a controlled manner that guests will enjoy.

• Italy, Mixed Group, 25-30
12th Jan 2017
5.4

Oh god..... full of local white trash. Would not recommend. The staff members dont really care about the guests...

Geez thats not a good review at all. Local white trash. Really? Its that staff part that is the most surprising. We pride ourselves in the quality of our staff. Our staff go out of their way to look after our guests and provide a home away from home. I would appreciate it if you could contact me with further details on both these issues as its not something I am seeing and I have been doing this for many years.

• Netherlands, Couple, 18-24
6th Jan 2017
2.9

We paid a lot of money for a double room. When we arrived, we got a very small room with a bunk bed (!!!) with holes in the sheets. We are used to untidy and dirty hostels, but this bathroom was the worst and the shower was not working. When we asked to be moved, this was not possible until the next day. People were smoking weed in public spaces, the gate was open all the time, wifi is only working in the garden, staff was rude. Bad experience all together.

Ok. Not good at all. So not sure what happened with the double room part? You were in one of our small twin rooms and that room we decided is too small for 2 peeps so we have since taken out one bed and made it a funky single. So part of your complaints were indeed warranted. I personally went on a mission in the area you were in before reading this actually. We definitely let it get away from us for a bit. I got stuck in myself and scrubbed away and raised complete havoc with our cleaners. That part is now sorted including the things that needed fixing and it will stay sorted. Ok my main concern about your review is our staff. We really really pride ourselves on the quality of our staff. We feel its our strongest asset and I would be interested to know more about what went wrong. And the weed... look some of the peeps coming through do like to partake but we don't sanction it especially in the public eye. All and all we would have preferred that you came to speak to us about your issues instead of going online and telling the world. You most definitely owuld have left us much happier peeps.

2nd Jan 2017
7.4

This place is ok. Cool neighborhood. Rooms are very stuffy and bathrooms lacking.

• South Africa, Male, 41+
30th Dec 2016
7.1

According to my reservation I expected a room with it's own shower and this was confirmed when making a booking only to be told when I got there that the rooms don't have a private shower. That turned me off completely. To make things worse when checking out we were told that next time we come we wi be given a better room. ????!!!!!????? Who's fooling who here?

Thanks for the review. Some very good scores in your rating there. I am well aware of which customer you are (as I am speaking to you via email about this also) and do know that you had quite a cool time with us as can be seen generally in your ratings. I spoke to our staff as well some other customers and I hear that you truly embraced what we are about, met many fellow guests along the way and had a good time. That part is very cool. The main issue you have is entirely due to a misunderstanding unfortunately. For the record none of our rooms have private bathrooms or showers. Every single room shares communal.bathrooms. Im not sure what the comment made about a better room next time as you were leaving was about actually as the room you were in is a pretty good one and is fairly spacious. I did your booking and would never have lead you to believe that you had a private bathroom. Nowhere in any of our marketing do we ever claim that. Very sad that a misunderstanding like this can taint your stay like that. I am really sorry about that but really glad about some of the good times you had with us.

• Germany, Female, 25-30
19th Dec 2016
7.4

Nice hostel but dorm room #1 didn't close properly and the music in the bar is very loud at night.

Thanks for your rating. Over the holiday season we are that bit more festive but do try and keep a balance. Thanks for letting me know about room 1. We will check it out today. We hope to see you back soon.

18th Dec 2016
8.0

Tekweni does the job. It's an OK hostel with comfortable beds and pretty clean. There's a swimming pool and pool table, too The kitchen is pretty well equipped and the free wi-fi works well. It's a way outside the city centre but there's lots of transport.

Thanks for rating us. 80 percent. Cool. We hope to see you back again soon.

• England, Couple, 25-30
1st Nov 2016
6.6

The communal areas of this hostel are quite good if you want a party kind of vibe with loud music all the time. The private rooms are badly out of date however and need completely redecorating to remove the mould from the ceiling and have the furniture replaced (our bed was fairly grim) but what we saw of the dorm rooms didn't look so bad. If I was a solo traveller staying in the dorms who wanted a party I would recommend it but if you aren't then stay somewhere else.

Thanks for rating us. We do have nice private rooms.We will check which one you were in and will go over it though and have a general look. Yes we are festive and are up front about it. It does sound to us that you did enjoy yourself. Perhaps we will see you back.

30th Sep 2016

Great people, in a fun area. Should the old building, aeration system and furniture be refurbished that could become a top hostel.

Thanks for your review. We can see that you feel us. Cool! Also some good creative criticism. We hope to see you back.

10th Sep 2016

Tekweni Backpackers has a definitely a good vibe, the location is great (just off Florida road) so no complaints about that. On the other hand the hostel could use some remodeling. There was mold on the wall in my dorm and it would have been nice not having to sleep on the cheapest foam mattress available on this planet. Also the lack of wall sockets makes it almost impossible to recharge your phone/mobile device when the hostel is fully booked.

So you have rated us well and we can see you feel us. Thanks for the constructive criticism. We have upgraded many beds since your visit and have been looking at the other things you mention. Glad you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you back again.