Tekweni Backpackers Hostel

7.6
Very Good 265 Total Reviews

21st Apr 2017
5.4

I was very disappointed with this hostel. I got mugged on my way to the hostel, as it is not in the best part of town. There is a strip club right directly across the street and the police were rading it the night I was staying here. The place smells like weed, and just feels dirty. It is inexpensive which is good, there also is very little privacy in the shared dorm, which is find considering the cheap price.

16th Apr 2017
7.7

The hostel was ok. We only spend a night there... the room was clean, the bathrooms were also clean, showers ok too. The internet like in all the other places in SA is not so good. The hostel is really close to the going out aerea.

Thanks so much for rating us. A lot of stuff we love to hear. Glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope to have you back again soon.

• England, Male, 18-24
10th Apr 2017

Great hostel, enough said!

• England, Couple, 31-40
1st Apr 2017
6.9

Tired hostel. Has seen better days. Could do with some TLC to spruce up rooms and bathrooms.

Not so bad rating but comments focusing only on the negative. No mention of the fun time you probably had, how well we looked after you etc... We are constantly sprucing but it can be difficult to keep up. Fair enough comment but your rating says there was stuff you liked. It would be nice if you had mentioned that also. It is not easy being open to public criticism for the world to see. Thanks for taking the time to rate us though.

• Netherlands, Male, 25-30
24th Mar 2017

Beware! One night at Tekweni gives you a two night hangover. No kidding, its a great hostel with cool people and a good atmosphere.

Ha ha. Fair warning. Definitely a compliment. Thanks for the cool review. Hope to see you again soon.

• England, Male, 18-24
22nd Mar 2017

Lovely place, lovely people

Yes yes yes. You feel us. Fantastic review. Thanks so much. Hope to see you again soon.

• England, Female, 25-30
1st Mar 2017

Brilliant time here, good location and has braai night twice a week. Staff are the best bit about this hostel, always friendly and happy to help - particularly Wati, Tino and Debbie. Thanks guys, see you next time!

Fantabulous review. Exactly what we love to hear especially the staff part. Thanks so much! Yes we will definitely see you next time.

• Finland, Female, 18-24
3rd Feb 2017
6.3

I really did not enjoy my stay overall. My sheets were full of yellow stains and holes. It was super hot in the room and even one of the bed was broken. I felt very uncomfortable there cause the place was full of drug users, even one of the staff members smoked weed while at work, not professional at all. There's a party every evening and it gets quite noisy. If you're all about drinking and getting blazed, I would stay there. For me it was just too much that I even wanted to leave earlier.

Thank you for your review. You were here in Durban in summer which is a very hot place. We do have fans in the rooms however but sometimes its not enough, that is true. I have checked the room that you were in and sorted out that bed as well as renewed the sheets that were not up to scratch. Thank you for pointing that out. The drug use. To be honest we may turn a blind eye to a bit of recreational use way out of the public eye. For some travelers its part of the reason they visit Africa. Your description however is not ok and we have had a serious staff meeting about it and it has been dealt with. I do see you rated us pretty well on a few things though including our staff (which we take great pride in) so I really don't think your stay was a total disaster. We do try and keep things festive but in a controlled manner that guests will enjoy.

• Italy, Mixed Group, 25-30
12th Jan 2017
5.4

Oh god..... full of local white trash. Would not recommend. The staff members dont really care about the guests...

Geez thats not a good review at all. Local white trash. Really? Its that staff part that is the most surprising. We pride ourselves in the quality of our staff. Our staff go out of their way to look after our guests and provide a home away from home. I would appreciate it if you could contact me with further details on both these issues as its not something I am seeing and I have been doing this for many years.

• Netherlands, Couple, 18-24
6th Jan 2017
2.9

We paid a lot of money for a double room. When we arrived, we got a very small room with a bunk bed (!!!) with holes in the sheets. We are used to untidy and dirty hostels, but this bathroom was the worst and the shower was not working. When we asked to be moved, this was not possible until the next day. People were smoking weed in public spaces, the gate was open all the time, wifi is only working in the garden, staff was rude. Bad experience all together.

Ok. Not good at all. So not sure what happened with the double room part? You were in one of our small twin rooms and that room we decided is too small for 2 peeps so we have since taken out one bed and made it a funky single. So part of your complaints were indeed warranted. I personally went on a mission in the area you were in before reading this actually. We definitely let it get away from us for a bit. I got stuck in myself and scrubbed away and raised complete havoc with our cleaners. That part is now sorted including the things that needed fixing and it will stay sorted. Ok my main concern about your review is our staff. We really really pride ourselves on the quality of our staff. We feel its our strongest asset and I would be interested to know more about what went wrong. And the weed... look some of the peeps coming through do like to partake but we don't sanction it especially in the public eye. All and all we would have preferred that you came to speak to us about your issues instead of going online and telling the world. You most definitely owuld have left us much happier peeps.