6.9
Good 205 Total Reviews
6.9
Good 205 Total Reviews
Tekweni Backpackers Hostel Located at 169 Ninth Ave, Morningside, AF, 4001, Durban.
South Africa
Durban 169 Ninth Ave, Morningside, AF, 4001
69% 205
-29.8336825 31.0159277
    Rooms available

• Chile, Female, 25-30
26th Jul 2016
7.4

I might have just had bad luck, I saw 2 cocroaches in my room, asked twice for an extra blanket which I didnt get And there was absolutely no wifi which made me really angry, but I cant say I wouldnt go again because it has everything a hostel needs And you can find nice live bands on florida road which really made my trip to Durban. I walked to the Beach And the stadium, I recomend the location for walking distance during day.

• France, Female, 18-24
18th Jul 2016
4.0

The staff was not really professional and careless when we arrived. Regarding the premices, the pool was dirty and the bathroom close to our room was really old and had missing tiles. The room had dead insects squashed on the walls. When we left we were told that a fee of 5% of the total price is charged when you pay by card. We finally didn't pay it after arguying that we were not aware of such payment policy.

Thanks for your review. I think, You quite clearly did not enjoy our pl;ace, I see no mention of the atmosphere or the people. It also appears you were looking for things wrong instead of things right. Did you not notice the great stream of music we played or our free braai nights or all the other peeps enjoying themselves. I think we are possibly not the right place for you,

30th May 2016
8.0

Great hostel within a very good location (close to many restaurants and bars). The beach is also very easy to reach, if you are willing to use the public transportation. If you are interested in different activities and trips there is a information desk which will help you booking. The public area is very nice and relaxed and the rooms, the showers and the beds are clean. Only little criticism: no sockets or lockers in the room (but there is a safe at the reception)

Thanks for the awesome review. We will look into your queries. Otherwise you get us. Hope to see you back again soon.

• Canada, All Female Group, 18-24
18th May 2016
3.7

Roaches in our room and beds. Sheets so bare and thin yiu can see through them. Staff screaming at 7 in the morning as they tidy up.

Not a nice review. I notice you made no mention of our friendly reception staff, vibrant music that welcomes you on arrival, our free braais or the amount of fun to be had at our place. We have a pest control company service us monthly. You are bound to get some roaches in Durban but Im quite sure we have them pretty well under control. I am going to check the sheets in the room you stayed in however. Perhaps we are not your type of place as you missed what we are about.

• USA, All Female Group, 18-24
18th May 2016

The front desk staff was great. The cleaning ladies were rude and mean. They would come into the room unannounced and wake everyone up to ask who was checking out, information that they should be able to get from the front desk. If you are in the bathroom when they are trying to clean the bathroom they will just mop around you and hit you enough times with the mop until you leave.

You have rated us really well. Thank you! The second part of your rating is very unusual though. Most peeps actually love our cleaning staff and they do get instructions from the front desk who is leaving on the day. I am going to need to check this out because I have never heard this before. But thanks for bringing it to our attention and thanks for the great rating outside of that. We hope to see you back at some point.

• South Africa, Male, 31-40
25th Mar 2016

Nice set up in a good vibey area close to amneties.

Thx for your great review. Hope to see you back soon.

• Belgium, Male, 25-30
17th Feb 2016
3.4

hi,i think place is the worst place in Durban ! Is dirty ,noisy,very hot ,and possibly a place for exchange of substance. So if you want spend a good trip go away from Tekweni ;-)

As I mentioned I see you are together with the review below (see my response). The big group from Belgium. Once again I am really surprised by these reviews. Could you not speak to us about your concerns instead of taking us apart X 2 in the public domain. I was certain your group were enjoying your stay. Well 23 years in the business and I guess I still have stuff to learn. This would have been a lot more productive face to face.

• Belgium, Female, 25-30
17th Feb 2016
4.3

Do NOT recommend! The place always smell of pot, you find cockroaches in the showers , the mattresses in the dorms are awful, the swimming pool was brownish and disgusting... The double rooms in the other building were a bit better and quieter, but still the bathrooms were often disgusting.The floor would ressemble a swimming pool after two showers. We were a big group so it could have been fun to stay in a partying hostel, but it was definitely a terrible experience.

I can see you are together with the review above. The large group from Belgium we had recently. Did you both really have to review us as it is a killer? I saw your group on a couple of occasions taking up the big table in our social area next to the pool, having numerous drinks and chatting and laughing; I would have swore you were enjoying yourselves so much so that I didn't feel the need to ask. You both mention something about pot. Yeah it happens occasionally. Lets face it, some of our guests like it but we don't condone it. Im guessing this is where your unhappiness mainly lies. The weather wasn't so great so we were treating the pool while you were there.Surely you were aware of that? We do have a pest control company service our place monthly. Summer in Durbs you will get some cockroaches. I'm really disappointed and surprised by this review. Ouch ouch. If you were trying to cripple us, good job!

• England, Female, 18-24
5th Feb 2016

The staff and locals are really friendly here. I loved my stay here and in a great spot near Florida road where all the bars and restaurants are. Walking distance to the beaches and is close to a local spar (grocery store) A lovely chilled out place to stay.

Fantastic amazing review. We so love to hear that cuz that is exactly what we strive for. Hope to see you again soon.