6.6
Good 195 Total Reviews
6.6
Good 195 Total Reviews
Tekweni Backpackers Hostel Located at 169 Ninth Ave, Morningside, AF, 4001, Durban.
South Africa
Durban 169 Ninth Ave, Morningside, AF, 4001
66% 195
-29.8336825 31.0159277
    Rooms available

• USA, All Female Group, 18-24
18th May 2016

The front desk staff was great. The cleaning ladies were rude and mean. They would come into the room unannounced and wake everyone up to ask who was checking out, information that they should be able to get from the front desk. If you are in the bathroom when they are trying to clean the bathroom they will just mop around you and hit you enough times with the mop until you leave.

• South Africa, Male, 31-40
25th Mar 2016

Nice set up in a good vibey area close to amneties.

Thx for your great review. Hope to see you back soon.

• Belgium, Male, 25-30
17th Feb 2016
3.4

hi,i think place is the worst place in Durban ! Is dirty ,noisy,very hot ,and possibly a place for exchange of substance. So if you want spend a good trip go away from Tekweni ;-)

As I mentioned I see you are together with the review below (see my response). The big group from Belgium. Once again I am really surprised by these reviews. Could you not speak to us about your concerns instead of taking us apart X 2 in the public domain. I was certain your group were enjoying your stay. Well 23 years in the business and I guess I still have stuff to learn. This would have been a lot more productive face to face.

• Belgium, Female, 25-30
17th Feb 2016
4.3

Do NOT recommend! The place always smell of pot, you find cockroaches in the showers , the mattresses in the dorms are awful, the swimming pool was brownish and disgusting... The double rooms in the other building were a bit better and quieter, but still the bathrooms were often disgusting.The floor would ressemble a swimming pool after two showers. We were a big group so it could have been fun to stay in a partying hostel, but it was definitely a terrible experience.

I can see you are together with the review above. The large group from Belgium we had recently. Did you both really have to review us as it is a killer? I saw your group on a couple of occasions taking up the big table in our social area next to the pool, having numerous drinks and chatting and laughing; I would have swore you were enjoying yourselves so much so that I didn't feel the need to ask. You both mention something about pot. Yeah it happens occasionally. Lets face it, some of our guests like it but we don't condone it. Im guessing this is where your unhappiness mainly lies. The weather wasn't so great so we were treating the pool while you were there.Surely you were aware of that? We do have a pest control company service our place monthly. Summer in Durbs you will get some cockroaches. I'm really disappointed and surprised by this review. Ouch ouch. If you were trying to cripple us, good job!

• England, Female, 18-24
5th Feb 2016

The staff and locals are really friendly here. I loved my stay here and in a great spot near Florida road where all the bars and restaurants are. Walking distance to the beaches and is close to a local spar (grocery store) A lovely chilled out place to stay.

8th Jan 2016
2.3

I would only recommend this hostel if you don't plan on sleeping and just want to party til 5 am. The staff is very unhelpful and you can't tell if they are guests or actually work there. Only shower that worked had only cold water that barely came out. We tried to go to bed but instead were kept up til 5 am due to Miami Club across the street which blasts music til all hrs. Although the dj did have a good set list! Worst hostel we stayed at on the whole trip. Has potential if it was cleaned up

Ouch. Ok we are going to have to take this one on the chin I think. Not happy about the unhelpful staff part in particular. That is not cool as that is the main thing we pride ourselves on. You are welcome to email us with more detail on that if you wish. Worst hostel you stayed at.... Wow. That hurts.

• me_chrissy5617
  • Germany, Female, 18-24
  • Globetrotter
6th Jan 2016
7.1

If you are looking for sleep this hostel might not be the one for you. Loud Musik from the bar that was well hear able in my room ever night.

Yes we are a festive place but try and get things shut down by a reasonable hour. We also have some quieter rooms away from the bar. Hopefully we will see you back and put you up in one of those rooms.

5th Jan 2016

The customer service at Tekweni is pretty good and the ambiance is excellent for socializing and integrating with other backpackers.

Thanks for your sparkling review. You really feel us. Hope to see you back!

• USA, Male, 25-30
30th Dec 2015
4.6

If you're one with the party scene you might actually like this place. There is sure to be intercourse in the dorm rooms and staff that go harder than anyone else staying there. Even the beds are stiff as boards. A certain staff member also didn't have the deposit money for our room keys when we checked out. He went as far as to blame us for checking out at the wrong time. Not my bag. For my next visit to Durban I will surely be looking for a more accommodating place to stay.

I take it from your review that you are not into the party scene. As a point of interest pretty much everything in our marketing promotes the fact that we are the festive place to stay in Durban. The deposit part seems to really have ticked you off it appears. i am told you wanted to check out before reception was open (6:30am is our opening time) and the manager genuinely didn't have access to cash at that point. On the positive side we are glad you managed to get intercourse in the dorm room. Not easy that. Really not a great review. We seem to have gotten on your wrong side and you maybe should have stayed at a quieter place in Durbs.

• alyssa_jensen3217
  • USA, Mixed Group, 25-30
29th Dec 2015

We had a large group book for NYE and Tekweni took care of us. Excellent location for going out at night and about a 30 min. walk to the beach. Lockers in the rooms would be an improvemt but as it was there were no issues and we really enjoyed our stay. They even helped us ou when our bus company screwed up our travel plans. Great party hostel vibe! We'll stay again when we're in Durban!

Yes Yes Yes. We remember your group well. You feel us and love us. Sooo nice to be loved. Look forward to having you back