7.8
Very Good 222 Total Reviews
7.8
Very Good 222 Total Reviews
Tekweni Backpackers Hostel Located at 169 Ninth Ave, Morningside, AF, 4001, Durban.
South Africa
Durban 169 Ninth Ave, Morningside, AF, 4001
78% 222
-29.8336825 31.0159277
    Rooms available

• England, Couple, 25-30
1st Nov 2016
6.6

The communal areas of this hostel are quite good if you want a party kind of vibe with loud music all the time. The private rooms are badly out of date however and need completely redecorating to remove the mould from the ceiling and have the furniture replaced (our bed was fairly grim) but what we saw of the dorm rooms didn't look so bad. If I was a solo traveller staying in the dorms who wanted a party I would recommend it but if you aren't then stay somewhere else.

Thanks for rating us. We do have nice private rooms.We will check which one you were in and will go over it though and have a general look. Yes we are festive and are up front about it. It does sound to us that you did enjoy yourself. Perhaps we will see you back.

30th Sep 2016

Great people, in a fun area. Should the old building, aeration system and furniture be refurbished that could become a top hostel.

Thanks for your review. We can see that you feel us. Cool! Also some good creative criticism. We hope to see you back.

10th Sep 2016

Tekweni Backpackers has a definitely a good vibe, the location is great (just off Florida road) so no complaints about that. On the other hand the hostel could use some remodeling. There was mold on the wall in my dorm and it would have been nice not having to sleep on the cheapest foam mattress available on this planet. Also the lack of wall sockets makes it almost impossible to recharge your phone/mobile device when the hostel is fully booked.

So you have rated us well and we can see you feel us. Thanks for the constructive criticism. We have upgraded many beds since your visit and have been looking at the other things you mention. Glad you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you back again.

• South Africa, Female, 18-24
4th Aug 2016

It was a beautiful stay we had a lot of fun

Fantastic! A fan. Hope to see you back.

• Chile, Female, 25-30
26th Jul 2016
7.4

I might have just had bad luck, I saw 2 cocroaches in my room, asked twice for an extra blanket which I didnt get And there was absolutely no wifi which made me really angry, but I cant say I wouldnt go again because it has everything a hostel needs And you can find nice live bands on florida road which really made my trip to Durban. I walked to the Beach And the stadium, I recomend the location for walking distance during day.

Thanks for the review. It was bad luck on the cockroaches as we have a professional service come in once a month and we really work on that generally. Also bad luck on the WiFi as we do provide it and it is free. Not sure what happened there? Bad service on the blanket. Sorry about that. Now the good stuff. We can see you really did enjoy us. Cool! We hope to see you back.

• France, Female, 18-24
18th Jul 2016
4.0

The staff was not really professional and careless when we arrived. Regarding the premices, the pool was dirty and the bathroom close to our room was really old and had missing tiles. The room had dead insects squashed on the walls. When we left we were told that a fee of 5% of the total price is charged when you pay by card. We finally didn't pay it after arguying that we were not aware of such payment policy.

Thanks for your review. I think, You quite clearly did not enjoy our pl;ace, I see no mention of the atmosphere or the people. It also appears you were looking for things wrong instead of things right. Did you not notice the great stream of music we played or our free braai nights or all the other peeps enjoying themselves. I think we are possibly not the right place for you,

• Singapore, Female, 25-30
16th Jul 2016
7.7

No lockers in room but you can put your valuables at the reception. There's a dire lack of power sockets. In the room I was in, there was only one power socket... and in this digital world we live in, it can become quite a struggle. This is definitely a party hostel, with occasional BBQs. If you're looking for peace and quiet, this is definitely not it. But if you're up for meeting new people and music, then this is it. Showers are clean with hot water.

Thanks for the review. We can see you definitely enjoyed yourself. Very constructive criticism as well as some nice compliments. We do need to improve the plugs in the rooms. You are correct there. We hope to see you back with us real soon.

15th Jul 2016

A really pleasant and comfortable place to stay in Durban with extremely helpful staff. Great atmosphere especially in the evening because of the bar, which serves beer at reasonable prices and attracts not only the guests staying there but also locals from the city. It's a party hostel but has a homey and friendly atmosphere even for those who don't party; my room was far from the bar area and I slept well.

Wow. Fantastic review. You definitely get us. Thanks so much and we hope to see you back.