Terra Extremus Hostel Reviews

Vicuna Mackenna 38, Santiago, Chile

I arrived at this hostel after getting off a night bus and was made to stand outside with all of my gear while the receptionist in his still drunken haze tried to find a key to open the gate. It is a noisy hostel (inside and outside noise) but in a good location.

I did not have a very enjoyable stay at Terra Extremus. It was very noisy at night with people drinking in the courtyard and it was staff involved every time. I complained to the front desk and he said the people are drunk and he couldn´t do anything about it. Washrooms were messy and the staff was very unfriendly.

I stayed here in 2009 & it was excellent, so had no hesitation in coming back. This time though, it seems standards had slipped. Some of the staff were absolutely fantastic (Teddy & Sebastian were most helpful & friendly), however some of the other staff seemed to ´go missing´. The bar ran out of booze at one point & was not re-stocked to cater for the ´free beer on one night. Security facilities were poor, the bathrooms werent very clean, & the breakfast was very poor. Location is fantastic.

The breackfast is really poor. The bathrooms are disgusting. The staff isn't very cool.. we asked them some things and they didn't help us much. The location is perfect, but the rest.. i wouldn't go there again

The atmosphere in this hostel is probably the best in Santiago, I miss it already. The parties, the free beer at night and the friendly staff just makes everybody congregate and party as a group. I definitely recommend this hostel, althought not for its free breakfast which is actually just coffee and a miniature muffin.

Breakfast very poor. 1 instant coffee and 1 muffin.

Security may is questionable as I lost a simple bottle of water. left at the table.

• 13th Dec 2013