The Australian Hostel

8.5
Fabulous 462 Total Reviews

16th Feb 2017
7.7

Anton and the team were awesome. It's a perfect late arrival place where the team welcomes you and you can get an en suite warm shower and good nights sleep. Thanks team Lee, Shrewsbury, UK

• USA, Female, 18-24
7th Feb 2017

Happy to recommend the team at the Australian in downtown Cairo. Such a friendly and cheerful place, where nothing is too much trouble. The rooms are pleasant and clean and the location is excellent. I enjoyed the conversations in the central area and my thanks for a good stay.

26th Jan 2017

Good stay, old building with not the best facilities but that is the case with much of Egypt... was upgraded to a private room though. The staff here is great! They are really helpful in getting you the cheapest option to do everything you would like (great as a budget traveler/backpacker). They even loaned me money when I forgot to have small bills to pay the taxi! They also helped secure a train ticket on to Luxor even though it was supposedly all booked.

22nd Jan 2017
5.1

If your on a budget and want something cheap I would recommend this place, but I would have rather spent a little more money and gotten something a little better. There were holes in the wall, bathroom was nasty, and the elevator was sketchy. I'm sure most places in Cairo are similar, so I guess I can't complain too much as I had a private room for 12$ a night.

19th Jan 2017

We very much enjoyed our 4 days and the people we met. Mido, the manager, and the other staff were always available and incredibly helpful: giving directions; making suggestions for places to go; helping us book 2 inexpensive day trips (Giza and Alexandria) with careful, competent drivers; suggesting places to eat; etc. Our pvt room was clean and secure. The main entrance stairway could be cleaner and better lit, but they are apparently working with other building tenants to improve this.

13th Jan 2017

Really nice place. The staff was really great and friendly. If you have any questions, for sure they will help you. Great for solo travelers.

• Singapore, Mixed Group, 18-24
9th Jan 2017
6.0

Our room didn't come with a key. Mosquitoes were in abundance in the room. Our room had a window that couldn't be opened which meant we had no natural light. Charging points were randomly placed around the room away from the beds. The hostel was also dimly lit throughout and wifi was poor in the rooms. Water pressure was questionable as well. I've stayed in many hostels but this one was different. Staff made you feel bad if you've been scammed outside like that's supposed to help.

• New Zealand, Male, 31-40
  • Globetrotter
6th Jan 2017

All you need and right where you need to be. Staff were great. Had a few issues but the that's the joy of travel

4th Jan 2017

A wonderful hostel. The staff was absolutely amazing and beyond helpful. It's a great location. There wasn't a key to the dorm door which wasn't ideal but everything still felt relatively safe. Also a taxi from the airport (at night) was closer to 150 Egyptian Pounds instead of the 60 that it says on the directions. Overall though, I had a wonderful time and I'd stay here again!

• India, Male, 25-30
29th Dec 2016
6.3

The building was creepy and dirty, wash room was dirty with no water. Mattress was horrible and the staff was sleeping in the dorm rooms and receiving calls early morning. It wasn't like a typical hostel any backpacker would like to stay.