The B.I.G Reviews

18 Thornhill rd, Green Point, Cape Town, South Africa

Wauw! We had a great time in B.I.G! Friendly staff, beautiful hostel and location. Nearly the centre, but also the beaches and mainroads.

• 4th Dec 2013

We LOVED this hostel. The staff make it what it is. They are the best, so friendly and helpful plus fun and social. The location was good as well being so close to the V&A. Just watch yourself at night and you're best to take a cab home after dark. We would easily stay here again on our next visit to Cape Town!! The only complaint we can think of was that there were some ants in our room so we kept luggage zipped and clothes off the floor.

Best hostel I have stayed in.

the BIG is a bit up the hill, but there are "tuk tuk" mini taxi waiting at the door. they have electric plug and a small stand right next to your bed, good for keeping phone or glasses close to you.

Thanks so much to the entire staff! You guys are great! Keep up maintaining the cleanliness and amazing friendly vibe and atmosphere. We regret though not asking you for more tips from the beginning of our stay, as we just followed the lonely planet trying to find things to do and quirky places to eat in there so struggled a bit at times and once we talked to you, you gave us fantastic tips so feel that we missed out on your advice had we had asked and talked more with you sooner.

• 4th Oct 2013

YOU HAVE TO STAY HERE!!!! Don't bother looking at anywhere else to stay! The spot is fantastic - about 20mins walk from the Waterfront and the facilities were amazing - good beds, hot showers, lockers, little reading lights and shelves for your things and plenty of sockets. But by far the best thing about BIG are the staff and the atmosphere that they create - I felt at home, like part of the family and they took an active interest in your plans, helped with any issues and were ace!! xx

Best Hostel!! Awesome staff, super clean and great atmosphere! I miss it, nearly better than home ;)

Great location, very comfortable and the best atmosphere, by far. Every detail is just perfect. Good breakfast, towels, lockers and wifi included. There is a nice TV room, patios, and plenty common areas to make friends and feel at home. Staff really friendly and helpful. Always making sure you spend an excellent time in Cape Town with their advice. This is probably the best hostel i´ve ever stayed at. STRONGLY RECOMMEND!

Quiet hostel topside of green point. More of a mature and pleasant atmosphere than some of the younger hostels in town. So for single travellers stopping at short notice at B.I.G for a night or two, the other hostels on the bottom of main road are better for conveinience, but for a nice sensible stay and super clean facilities at the hands of a well organised, friendly and efficient family I would highly recommend this hostel for anyone looking for a stay outside getting drunk or having a ball.

Great place, great people. Probably the best hostel I have ever been to.

• 15th Sep 2013
  • Spain

Excellent hostel and staff! Slightly expensive (private double room) compared to other hostels in South Africa, but it worth it!

Awesome place! We enjoyed every moment there!!

• 28th Aug 2013
  • Israel

The BIG is one of the best hostels I've ever stayed at. All the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. They were all genuinely interested in ensuring your stay in Cape Town and South Africa was fun and full of the things you were interested in doing. This all contributed to the hostel having a lovely vibe. Which on top of it being well maintained added up to an excellent place to stay

• 23rd Aug 2013

This is the nicest hostel I've ever stayed it. The staff is very friendly and helpful, remembers to follow up on things, knows your name, will ask you about your day. Can help you organize trips and make plans. The space is beautifully decorated- there is a large communal kitchen with everything you need, and two lounges, more like a chic home than a hostel. The dorms were great, thought put into everything, there are lights for each bunch, extra blankets, towels, outlets, lockers. Love my stay!

Our stay at BIG was very good, the hostel is done nicely and the staff is very very friendly and helpful. They care for their guests and are always intrested in what everyone is up to and they give good tips what to do around cape town!

Highly recommend staying here!

This is one of the best hostel I ever stayed. It is more a hotel than a hostel. The breakfast is perfect, you can have fresh fruits, eggs, cereals.... But the best is the staff, extremly helpful and friendly.

This is by far the best hostel I have ever stayed at and offers a warm, homey feeling. The staff treat all the backpackers as their own guests and offer great advice and recommendations on where to go and places to eat. The location is great - very close to the Waterfront and Stadium and only a short taxi to downtown. It's located in a residential area, which is nice because it's safer and nicer than downtown but still close to everything. Most definitely hope to return! Thanks!

• 27th May 2013

Love this place. Perfect for people who don't party--quiet time starts at 10pm. Very charming decor, breakfast every morning. Definitely recommend and would go back in a heartbeat.

This was the NICEST hostel I've ever stayed in - its like staying at a friend's beach house. Everything was immaculate and secure. Our 4-bed dorm had our own bathroom and towels are always really nice to have in hostels. The kitchen was very clean and had everything you needed. The communal table made it easy to socialize. Love the TV room and library! The owner, Amy, went ABOVE AND BEYOND her duties to help me out with a personal problem and I will forever be grateful to her! Thank you again!!