Fabulous 2,045 Total Reviews
Fabulous 2,045 Total Reviews
The Backpack Cape Town Located at 74 New Church Street, , Cape Town.
South Africa
Cape Town 8001 74 New Church Street
89% 2045
-33.9270348 18.4105753
    Rooms available

• England, Female, 31-40
7th Jan 2017
8.0

Only stayed for one night: good location, facilities, staff, breakfast included but it wasn't amazing and I would have preferred to eat out. Astronomically expensive for a hostel

• England, Male, 31-40
3rd Jan 2017

great stay for 2 nights. good location and a lovely breakfast. staff we brilliant, helpful. Especially Cora and Charlie. would def recommend.

31st Dec 2016

It was really gorgeous here and breakfast was awesome! The location is very convenient and staff was super helpful. They put a cap on your wifi though and it doesn't reset for 24 hours so we couldn't upload our photos. Also the bathrooms aren't very convenient to the rooms if you don't have an ensuite. You have to find a room with a toilet and then go find another room with a basin to wash your hands which is tricky as it's a bit of a maze.

• Australia, Couple, 25-30
24th Dec 2016

Really nice hostel with great facilities that are always clean. the breakfast is wonderful and the communal area has a great atmosphere. Only things i would mention is that the cupboards in the bedrooms don't really work - we could open them even with locks on - so definitely use the safe's they have available. in addition some of the staff were a bit stand offish and not that helpful. overall though, i would still recommend this hostel.

• Netherlands, Female, 31-40
  • Globetrotter
21st Dec 2016

Friendly colourful place. Servicelevels are high, staff is friendly and the breakfast is varied and fresh. Single room was clean and had an excellent bed. Sufficient and clean facilities, nice terrace/bar/hangout area for a drink and to meet other travellers. Good advice on areas, safety and activities. I appreciate the effort put in development/education for staff and familiy members of staff, social projects and the environment. Would stay again if I would return to Capetown.

• Italy, Female, 25-30
19th Dec 2016

Great place to stay and great mission to accomplish, bringing together backpacking and traveling with social responsibility!

Hey thanks! We love it when guests understand where we find our passion and drive; always with our community :)

• Scotland, Male, 31-40
16th Dec 2016

Very good all round.

Thanks!

• Brazil, Female, 25-30
12th Dec 2016
4.9

Very bad treatment to customers, there was a 100 mandatory rand deposit for the key that was not advertised before. I had no cash, as it was my last day in South Africa, but they forced me to withdraw money and pay very expensive banking fees just because of a stupid key deposit. I tried to use their ATM to withdraw the money, but it was not working so I had to leave the hostel and look for an ATM. Toilets also run out of toilet paper and there was no one to help with that in the evening.

4th Dec 2016
5.1

That's the first time I see hostel staff hiding information to make us buy their tours or taxi services. I've been told there is no public transportation to Table Mountain, "but we can order a cab for you anytime", even though city buses go there. Same for Stellenbosch, I've been told that their tour is the only way, costing around 80 USD, and I then used the train and did wine tasting for much less. In short, if you like to pay a lot for organized activities, great place. If not, avoid.

We do have a travel desk at the hostel so we do apologise if you feel that staff were pushing the wrong ideas onto you. Kind Regards, The Backpack Team

3rd Dec 2016

I had a blast staying at The Backpack in Cape Town! I'm sure everyone's experience will differ, but one of the biggest selling points for me at this hostel was the great vibe amongst all of the other guests and the staff. Everyone was super friendly, and I always looked forward to coming back to the hostel after a long day in the Cape Town sun to enjoy a cold beer from the onsite bar. The biggest downside was the limited outlets. I highly recommend this plug! http://amzn.to/2hX9ivc

Thanks for the review and for choosing to stay with us. We are glad that you had a positive time in our hostel :) Kind Regards, The Backpack Team.