The Backpack Reviews

74 New Church Street, Cape Town, South Africa

Great place to stay, the staff are incredibly helpful and friendly, however the only bad things are the food for sale is priced very high for what it is, also the price increases when you book anything through the hostel. Expect to pay roughly 1/4 to 1/3 more for anything you book. Book activities directly with the operator. Otherwise it's a great place.

Very nice, the pool and the view to table mountain is amazing and it's not that far to the top of long street.

Amazing views, especially from the pool and a nice bar with good food. Location is 10 minutes walk from Long Street, though get a taxi there at night. Very good hostel.

Nice place to be and they can afford to be much more expensive then the other hostels. The rooms are cleaned up every day and you get a towel. Unfortunately someone stole my stuff from the kitchen - only the ones they could you use - the rest i found in the common space. After all it's a hostel - you can get similar locations far more cheaper.

On a scale of 0-10 My stay would be an 8. I have to mention that the bathroom had a terrible smell could have been from the drain. Staff was friendly and helpful.

Very nice hostel, good location - 5 mins to Long St. Nice pool area. But it doesn't have aircon and is quite expensive. Staff were friendly and nice.

I absolutely loved my 4-day stay at the Backpack. I had a lovely private room and shared bathroom; I really appreciated the provided shampoo and towels; to pay hostel prices and have a swimming pool in a lovely little garden overlooked by Table Mountain was amazing; all the staff were extremely friendly and helpful; the restaurant has great coffee and food; and all other facilities (kitchen, safes, etc) were excellent; and the tours/advice were spot on. I heartily recommend it.

Once you check in you don't want to leave again. The staff is friendly and helps you with everything. The communal lounge area is situated directly at the entrance, so you meet new friends very fast if you stay a little bit there. Long street, the place where most of the bars, clubs and restaurants are, is just a short walk away.

A really nice place to stay in terms of atmosphere location and helpfulness of staff. We were here for 5 days and i could have easily stayed longer. It is situated nicely between table mountain up the hill, the main party street adjacent and the whalf down the hill. Thanks for the fun times

We can only say thank you! We had an amazing time in this Hostel!

• 6th Jan 2015
  • Spain

Great hostel. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The place was immaculately clean. Nice big common areas. Bathrooms were great. Only drawback is that you can't really walk to anywhere safely in the evenings, but this is more a reflection on Cape Town than the hostel specifically.

A backpackers like no other (and I've been to a lot). The place is gorgeous, comfortable, clean and well situated. The staff very helpful. It's a place that you can enjoy fellow travellers in the bar or find your own space to relax. They become your personal concierge's the second you arrive. Most importantly they respect and give back to the community; so your money and time in South Africa not only enriches your mind; but South Africans as a whole. I'd highly recommend it!

• 3rd Jan 2015

Can see why this hostel has won multiple awards for best hostel in Africa for years in a row. They contribute to the society, stimulate their customers to donate and bring second hand clothing etc with them to donate as well. The price was a bit on the high side i thought and when i miscalculated the # of days i stayed, i could not get a refund. Quite inflexible line management. Everything needs to be approved by the manager on site. I guess this is how this motel supports the local community.

The hostel itself was great, however, it was disappointing that the booking that we had made in April was not available. The reception staff, Lisa and Melanie, handled this very well, however they assumed that management had informed us of this error. They continued to try to resolve this the next day. The room we were placed in was satisfactory, however was not what we had booked. I was disappointed that management had not informed us of this problem before we arrived.

Great atmosphere, friendly staff but it is expensive in terms of backpackers options. However, I did enjoy my stay, comfortable, clean beds, secure location, great vibe and great location. Would stay again!

Great place, great location, great staff, great fellow hosteliers. All around epic.

Nice hostel in great location! Only stayed for one night but would definitely recommend.

Great hostel. Nice staf. Wifi could be better (you have to login all the time and at some places bad reception). Also we missed a toilet in the last wing.

We didn't get the room we had booked but the staff were very friendly and helped us as good as they could so it was ok. We really got along with the staff and had a great time at the hostel.

• 20th Dec 2014
  • Sweden
  • Couple, 41+

This place is AMZING!!! I just had come of a 45 day camping trip and i really wanted something chilled and nice. I've stay all around the world but this is up there as the best!! The Pool is the BOMB!!!

« first « Prev 1 2 3