The Backpack Reviews

74 New Church Street, Cape Town, South Africa

Fantastic staff--kind, warm, and they'll help you out with anything. Great place. Don't change a thing!

I loved my stay at the backpack. Thank you for having me

• 23rd May 2015

I stayed at The Backpack for a week and I was impressed and really pleased that I stayed there. Although traveling alone, I stayed in a 4 bed female room. The room was quiet, extremely clean and completely secure. My experience with the staff was awesome! Everyone was so helpful with ANYTHING that I needed, which is great b/c I've stayed at other hostels where the staff is not very welcoming nor helpful. The breakfast was awesome, I was surprised that the time allotted was 3hrs! Great place!

• 18th May 2015

One of my favorite hostels... comfy beds! thick towels! delicious breakfast! nice staff! Do yourself a favor and just book it already.

• 11th May 2015

i think it is a very nice well run place. they were very helpful towards showing me what I should do in cape town. room was perfecr just what I was after

• 9th May 2015
  • New Zealand

Thanks Laura for giving us the thumbs up! We hope to see you back in Cape Town soon Kind regards The Backpack Team

By far some of the rudest hostel staff I have ever come across, except for the guy working the bar the night I checked in, he was cool. Horrible communication before I arrived, I scheduled an airport pickup, they never showed. My friend was already there & they lied to her twice saying they would email me back & never did. Got an uber for half the price they would've charged so it worked out for the best, aside from the aggrevation. Wifi didn't work. Not enough showers. Moved to another hostel.

We had a great stay at this hostel, the rooms were lovely and really clean. We had a great view table mountain. The breakfast was very filling but we had to pay 30 ZAR each (£1.60 so totally worth it). They have free bottles of water at the bar and good selection. The staff were really friendly and helpful and the security guys were amazing! The area can be a bit dodgy so be very careful at night, speak to security before leaving the hostel especially at night! And get taxis were possible.

Thanks so much Siobhan for your great review of our hostel. Our friendly staff along with our guests (not forgetting the best views of Table Mountain) make it an awesome place to stay and work. Glad you took taxis at night its always recommended in most counties. Kind regards The Backpack Team

Awesome staff, environment, location and food!

Thanks for your review we hope you will be back soon Kind regards The Backpack Team

Beautiful hostel! Location is great, perfect if you want a quiet place to sleep but still be close to the nightlife as long St is a two minute walk away. Staff are very friendly and the beds are so comfortable! The breakfast was also very nice. Definitely recommend :)

Thanks Jessica for your appreciation of our Hostel, staff and beds! Kind regards The Backpack Team

Thanks for a great stay! Very helpful staff.

• 12th Apr 2015

Thanks for taking the time to review us - we really appreciate it. Kind regards The Backpack Team

this place is certainly overpriced, though the rooms are very nice. breakfast is not included, though hostelworld seems to think it is. good location. one issue we had is that when we tried to check out in the early morning, before staff came in, the security gaurd could not give us our key money back because he had not been left the money, despite a staff member assuring me that it'd be fine the day before. they need to get organized in that respect. our trip was delayed because of it,

Hi Julie we are so sorry that you thought our hostel is overpriced but you can take comfort that your money has gone a long way in supporting a team of young children get tutoring, life skills and sports education keeping them off the streets and away from a life of gangsterism and crime. We are also sorry that there was a misunderstanding regarding your key deposit. i can say this is a rare occurrence please contact us on backpack@backpackers.co.za where i am sure we can help you. regards lee

Safe and clean hostel. The backpack is in a pretty good spot. It is walking distance to Long Street as well as other attractions. The building has security staff on the property 24 hours a day. Breakfast in the morning is excellent. The bar is open until 11pm every evening. Lots of common areas throughout the facility. Excellent kitchen. Showers were always warm and clean. Great staff who always took care of their guests.

We love our security guards too and think they do an awesome job. We pride ourselves on our cleanliness and are so happy you found it met your expectations especially our solar heated showers we are so proud of those. We work hard at trying to do our bit for the planet. We believe a good breakfast in the mornings sets you up right for the day! We hope you will be back for more The Backpack Team

This Is really one of the best Hostels in which I've stayed

Hey, thanks for the great thumbs up review! We hope you will come back and stay with us again soon! Kind Regards, The Backpack Team

Very pleasant hostel, with friendly staff and the best breakfast by far during my travels in the Western Cape. Would benefit from more showering facilities but other than that you can't go wrong.

Hi there and thanks for taking the time to review us. We are so chuffed that you had a great stay and that you enjoyed our breakfast, as it is a new addition at The Backpack. We are sorry you had to fight for your right to shower! But maybe that's half the fun of being at a backpackers? 13 of our 34 rooms have an en-suite bathroom and in addition we have 6 communal showers. We hope to see you again soon! Kind Regards, The Backpack Team

Amazing Place and People !!

Thanks for the quick but awesome review! Hope to see you again soon! Kind regards, The Backpack Team.

Felt as if we were an inconvenience to one member of staff on more than one occasion. Everyone else was helpful and very informative. Don't like their new idea of a set breakfast as we enjoyed ordering bacon and eggs.

Hi there and thank you for the review. We are disappointed to find out that you feel this way about staff. We do try our very best to impress our guests and make them feel at home with us. Our newly introduced free continental breakfast doesn't include bacon anymore, but still has the option of eggs! If you don't want to grab a quick breakfast with us, Cape Town has loads of awesome breakfast places to choose from. Thank you for the feedback. Hope to see you soon. Kind Regards, The Backpack Team

In general the hostel is OK, but I think it's not good for solo traveler, In addition to the stuff was so unfriendly.

Overall a really nice hostel. Positive highlight compared to other hostels are the free safes,towels and the really nice staff at the reception. Negative, at least during our stay: The bar tenders were not really friendly and closed the bar already 1h prior official closing hour. Also there was not really anything going on at the bar. At an other hostel with similar price, breakfast was free.

Hi there and thanks for the feedback of our hostel. We are so glad you found our added extras of good use - such as the personal safes and towels. We do apologise that the bar staff were unfriendly and closed the bar early. We will take this up immediately. On the up side, we have now introduced a free daily continental breakfast. Hope to see you in the future. Kind Regards, The Backpack Team.

Originally I booked for 2 days, but I extended for 2 more days. The hostel is quite good and the staff incredibly helpful. Even though it's just a little expensive it's because all the social programs that they are involved in. It's definitely worth it.

Hi there and thank you for taking the time to review us! We are glad that you had a pleasant stay with us and that you understand the values that we have in the business that transcends into the local community. Kind Regards, The Backpack Team.

No laundry facilities as claimed on the web. Wifi insanely slow and kept going out. Excursions were way overpriced. There were rats outside the kitchen and under the floorboards. The two Afrikaans girls on staff were horrid, and aren't fit to do any kind of customer service, but the rest of the staff were very sweet. It was way too expensive for what it is, and I am still confused about how any of the money goes to the community. I think it might be for show. This one is a no for me.

« first « Prev 1 2 3