The Backpack Reviews

74 New Church Street, Cape Town, South Africa

this place is certainly overpriced, though the rooms are very nice. breakfast is not included, though hostelworld seems to think it is. good location. one issue we had is that when we tried to check out in the early morning, before staff came in, the security gaurd could not give us our key money back because he had not been left the money, despite a staff member assuring me that it'd be fine the day before. they need to get organized in that respect. our trip was delayed because of it,

This Is really one of the best Hostels in which I've stayed

Very pleasant hostel, with friendly staff and the best breakfast by far during my travels in the Western Cape. Would benefit from more showering facilities but other than that you can't go wrong.

Amazing Place and People !!

Felt as if we were an inconvenience to one member of staff on more than one occasion. Everyone else was helpful and very informative. Don't like their new idea of a set breakfast as we enjoyed ordering bacon and eggs.

Overall a really nice hostel. Positive highlight compared to other hostels are the free safes,towels and the really nice staff at the reception. Negative, at least during our stay: The bar tenders were not really friendly and closed the bar already 1h prior official closing hour. Also there was not really anything going on at the bar. At an other hostel with similar price, breakfast was free.

Originally I booked for 2 days, but I extended for 2 more days. The hostel is quite good and the staff incredibly helpful. Even though it's just a little expensive it's because all the social programs that they are involved in. It's definitely worth it.

A great backpack hostel. Could recommend it to everyone who stays in Cape Town. Very helpful staff, clean rooms (lived in a room for 4 beds), perfect price and so close to both Long Street and Kloof Street!

• 21st Mar 2015
  • Sweden

Friendly staff, but dorm room too expensive and way too much noise from the road - sounded like trucks were driving through the room! Breakfast a bit pricy also! No wifi-connection in the room! Come ooon! its 2015 - even the cheapest home-stays or hostels in fx. thailand and Vietnam has wifi in the rooms. When I actually managed to find a corner with wifi, the connection was so horribly slow that an average Google Search took up to 10-15 seconds. If I had know this I would have stayed away.

• 21st Mar 2015
  • Denmark

Hi there, thanks for the review of our hostel! Our prices of our rooms are what they are because we support the community in many ways as well as paying out our staff with fair wages. We do apologise for the noise in your room; Cape Town is a very busy city! Thank you for bringing the WiFi connection to our attention, we will see to this immediately. We are excited to announce that we are introducing a buffet breakfast which is now included in the room prices! Kind Regards, The Backpack Team.

I really enjoyed my stay at the backpack, great design and lay out and thoughtful extras to make you feel at home. I stayed four nights initially and then returned again at the end of my stay in south africa.

The Backpack was a fantastic place to stay. I couldn't fault the hostel, location, people (guests & staff), activities and the city of Cape Town. Highly recommended as your first choice if there is a room available. As with anything in life, you get what you pay for and the Backpack delivers.

• 28th Feb 2015

Hey, thanks for taking the time to review us. We are proud of the product we give our guests and the extra cost you pay is how we pay out fair wages to all our staff and contribute to community projects that we support. We hope that we can see you in the future. Kind Regards, The Backpack Team.

I was a lone female traveller, unsure what to expect of cape Town and South Africa but I can honestly say I was made to feel so welcome and felt safe pretty much all of the time. Taxis at night are a good idea to be on the safe side - make sure the driver has the meter on!

Heya, thanks for the review of our hostel. We are so glad to have given you a great experience and hopefully this will encourage you to make a trip to South Africa again! Kind Regards, The Backpack Team.

Just so people are aware. This hostel is in a quiet area and we did met 3 people who where mugged while walking home on their own. Albeit in the early hours of the morning. Also some of the rooms don't have wifi. The pool area and views are a real bonus

Hi there, thanks for reviewing The Backpack. We are terribly sorry that you had to hear about these incidents happening so close to the hostel. However, we work with a taxi company that is around to lift guests at any time of the day and with this service at hand, we do not encourage guests to walk about the city after the sun goes down. We hope to see you again in the future. Kind Regards, The Backpack Team.

Excellent hostel with a fun, chilled vibe. Handy for shops, Long St, etc. For any travel advice see the wonderful Melanie, our trip to the garden route was amazing because of her. Definitely recommend this hostel. Ended up staying a lot of extra nights.

Hi there, thanks for reviewing the hostel. We are so happy that you had a great time with us, extending your stay a couple of times even, and that Melanie could help you with all your travel needs. We hope to see you again in the near future! Kind Regards, The Backpack Team.

One of the best hostels I've ever stayed in. I met so many great people. I stayed in a four-bed female dorm with ensuite bathroom. I think it was a bit expensive as we were near the kitchen and had to put up with a lot of noise late in the evenings and early in the morning. Breakfast was not included, which I thought was cheap. However, the staff were always extremely helpful and friendly. There was always something going on and something to do. I would highly recommend this place.

Hi there and thanks for the awesome review! It's great that your stay with us was satisfactory and that you gave yourself some time to wonder the city of Cape Town to see all it has to offer. The noise at the hostel is due to all the excited busy bodies getting up early for their day's activities. We hope that you can be a guest with us again soon! Kind Regards, The Backpack Team.

Overpriced. Nice facilities, nice location and nice staff….the bed was not so comfortable and the room and bathroom were not so clean. çreally nice view and friendy staff, although really overpriced.

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to review the hostel. We are happy that you had a good stay with us and enjoyed the view from the hostel. It really is one of a kind! We do apologise that the standard of your room and our bathrooms was lacking and we will see to this immediately. Our prices are due to us paying out fair wages to all our staff and supporting the community projects, so your money is going to a great cause. Kind Regards, The Backpack Team.

Great place to stay, the staff are incredibly helpful and friendly, however the only bad things are the food for sale is priced very high for what it is, also the price increases when you book anything through the hostel. Expect to pay roughly 1/4 to 1/3 more for anything you book. Book activities directly with the operator. Otherwise it's a great place.

Hi there. Thank you for your review of our hostel. We are glad that your overall stay was charming. We apologise that you found our food in the kitchen to be pricey but we do serve free-range and organic food only, as well as our beers are all craft beers. With regards to our tours; the cost we sell them at is not increased, the cost is what it is because the tour operators we support are all involved with responsible tourism. Hope to see you again soon. Kind Regards, The Backpack Team

Very nice, the pool and the view to table mountain is amazing and it's not that far to the top of long street.

Hi there, thank you for your review of The Backpack! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to welcome you back in the future! Kind Regards, The Backpack Team

Amazing views, especially from the pool and a nice bar with good food. Location is 10 minutes walk from Long Street, though get a taxi there at night. Very good hostel.

Hello, thanks for the review! We are happy to hear you loved staying with us and exploring Cape Town and its surroundings. We hope to see you again soon! Kind Regards, The Backpack Team

Nice place to be and they can afford to be much more expensive then the other hostels. The rooms are cleaned up every day and you get a towel. Unfortunately someone stole my stuff from the kitchen - only the ones they could you use - the rest i found in the common space. After all it's a hostel - you can get similar locations far more cheaper.

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to review us. We do have higher room prices that other hostels and that is because we strive to have fair wages for all our staff as well as involving ourselves in the community projects. Pity about the food situation, must have had some hungry guests around! We hope we can see you again soon! Kind Regards, The Backpack Team

« first « Prev 1 2 3