The Backpack Reviews

74 New Church Street, Cape Town, South Africa

In general the hostel is OK, but I think it's not good for solo traveler, In addition to the stuff was so unfriendly.

Hi there, we are surprised that you did not enjoy your stay as a solo traveler. We have dorm rooms and a great social bar area that allows you to meet new people. We apologise that you felt the staff were rude. Kind Regards, The Backpack Team.

Overall a really nice hostel. Positive highlight compared to other hostels are the free safes,towels and the really nice staff at the reception. Negative, at least during our stay: The bar tenders were not really friendly and closed the bar already 1h prior official closing hour. Also there was not really anything going on at the bar. At an other hostel with similar price, breakfast was free.

Hi there and thanks for the feedback of our hostel. We are so glad you found our added extras of good use - such as the personal safes and towels. We do apologise that the bar staff were unfriendly and closed the bar early. We will take this up immediately. On the up side, we have now introduced a free daily continental breakfast. Hope to see you in the future. Kind Regards, The Backpack Team.

Originally I booked for 2 days, but I extended for 2 more days. The hostel is quite good and the staff incredibly helpful. Even though it's just a little expensive it's because all the social programs that they are involved in. It's definitely worth it.

Hi there and thank you for taking the time to review us! We are glad that you had a pleasant stay with us and that you understand the values that we have in the business that transcends into the local community. Kind Regards, The Backpack Team.

No laundry facilities as claimed on the web. Wifi insanely slow and kept going out. Excursions were way overpriced. There were rats outside the kitchen and under the floorboards. The two Afrikaans girls on staff were horrid, and aren't fit to do any kind of customer service, but the rest of the staff were very sweet. It was way too expensive for what it is, and I am still confused about how any of the money goes to the community. I think it might be for show. This one is a no for me.

Hi, We have laundry service just 100m outside of the hostel; They wash, iron and deliver the clothing back to The Backpack. We are installing neotel lines to speed up the wifi. Unfortunately we do not price excursions. The money you pay for your room goes to: staff and children's education, paying staff above the minimum wage, paying for 22 underprivileged rope skipping girls to compete nationally, providing tutoring classes and more. Hope you understand how your stay made a difference.

A great backpack hostel. Could recommend it to everyone who stays in Cape Town. Very helpful staff, clean rooms (lived in a room for 4 beds), perfect price and so close to both Long Street and Kloof Street!

• 21st Mar 2015
  • Sweden

Thanks Henny for your review and yes we know anyone can stay here with us as we are non ageist (you can learn something new from someone older or younger!) and now just to make it even better we have a free breakfast included. See you next time around The Backpack Team

Friendly staff, but dorm room too expensive and way too much noise from the road - sounded like trucks were driving through the room! Breakfast a bit pricy also! No wifi-connection in the room! Come ooon! its 2015 - even the cheapest home-stays or hostels in fx. thailand and Vietnam has wifi in the rooms. When I actually managed to find a corner with wifi, the connection was so horribly slow that an average Google Search took up to 10-15 seconds. If I had know this I would have stayed away.

• 21st Mar 2015
  • Denmark

Hi there, thanks for the review of our hostel! Our prices of our rooms are what they are because we support the community in many ways as well as paying out our staff with fair wages. We do apologise for the noise in your room; Cape Town is a very busy city! Thank you for bringing the WiFi connection to our attention, we will see to this immediately. We are excited to announce that we are introducing a buffet breakfast which is now included in the room prices! Kind Regards, The Backpack Team.

I really enjoyed my stay at the backpack, great design and lay out and thoughtful extras to make you feel at home. I stayed four nights initially and then returned again at the end of my stay in south africa.

Hi Lucinda We are chuffed you like the Design as we have been working really hard on making it better these past few months. Thanks for coming back that says it all for us and we hope that it wont be your last return to our country and us. Kind regards The Backpack Team

1 2 3 Next » last »