The Backpack Reviews

74 New Church Street, Cape Town, South Africa

I was a lone female traveller, unsure what to expect of cape Town and South Africa but I can honestly say I was made to feel so welcome and felt safe pretty much all of the time. Taxis at night are a good idea to be on the safe side - make sure the driver has the meter on!

Heya, thanks for the review of our hostel. We are so glad to have given you a great experience and hopefully this will encourage you to make a trip to South Africa again! Kind Regards, The Backpack Team.

Just so people are aware. This hostel is in a quiet area and we did met 3 people who where mugged while walking home on their own. Albeit in the early hours of the morning. Also some of the rooms don't have wifi. The pool area and views are a real bonus

Hi there, thanks for reviewing The Backpack. We are terribly sorry that you had to hear about these incidents happening so close to the hostel. However, we work with a taxi company that is around to lift guests at any time of the day and with this service at hand, we do not encourage guests to walk about the city after the sun goes down. We hope to see you again in the future. Kind Regards, The Backpack Team.

Excellent hostel with a fun, chilled vibe. Handy for shops, Long St, etc. For any travel advice see the wonderful Melanie, our trip to the garden route was amazing because of her. Definitely recommend this hostel. Ended up staying a lot of extra nights.

Hi there, thanks for reviewing the hostel. We are so happy that you had a great time with us, extending your stay a couple of times even, and that Melanie could help you with all your travel needs. We hope to see you again in the near future! Kind Regards, The Backpack Team.

Immer wieder gerne! Sehr sauber, Personal zuvorkommend und immer nett.

• 26th Feb 2015

Hallo. Wir waren sehr froh , Sie als Gast zu haben und wir hoffen , Sie bald wieder zu sehen! Durch das, The Backpack Team .

One of the best hostels I've ever stayed in. I met so many great people. I stayed in a four-bed female dorm with ensuite bathroom. I think it was a bit expensive as we were near the kitchen and had to put up with a lot of noise late in the evenings and early in the morning. Breakfast was not included, which I thought was cheap. However, the staff were always extremely helpful and friendly. There was always something going on and something to do. I would highly recommend this place.

Hi there and thanks for the awesome review! It's great that your stay with us was satisfactory and that you gave yourself some time to wonder the city of Cape Town to see all it has to offer. The noise at the hostel is due to all the excited busy bodies getting up early for their day's activities. We hope that you can be a guest with us again soon! Kind Regards, The Backpack Team.

Overpriced. Nice facilities, nice location and nice staff….the bed was not so comfortable and the room and bathroom were not so clean. çreally nice view and friendy staff, although really overpriced.

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to review the hostel. We are happy that you had a good stay with us and enjoyed the view from the hostel. It really is one of a kind! We do apologise that the standard of your room and our bathrooms was lacking and we will see to this immediately. Our prices are due to us paying out fair wages to all our staff and supporting the community projects, so your money is going to a great cause. Kind Regards, The Backpack Team.

Esta super bem localizado e possui um ótimo café da manhã.

Oi ! Obrigado pela ótima avaliação e estamos tão feliz que você era um convidado com a gente. Atenciosamente, Equipe do Backpack.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at The Backpack! It can be a little difficult to find if you are not getting picked up by their shuttle at the airport. It is on New Church St, not too far from a Church St, and it is actually not directly on New Church St. itself. Other than that, it's an easy slightly long walk to the waterfront or even Table Mountain. The people I met here completely made my trip! I spent my last two nights somewhere else but found myself here hanging out on both those nights! :)

Great place to stay, the staff are incredibly helpful and friendly, however the only bad things are the food for sale is priced very high for what it is, also the price increases when you book anything through the hostel. Expect to pay roughly 1/4 to 1/3 more for anything you book. Book activities directly with the operator. Otherwise it's a great place.

Hi there. Thank you for your review of our hostel. We are glad that your overall stay was charming. We apologise that you found our food in the kitchen to be pricey but we do serve free-range and organic food only, as well as our beers are all craft beers. With regards to our tours; the cost we sell them at is not increased, the cost is what it is because the tour operators we support are all involved with responsible tourism. Hope to see you again soon. Kind Regards, The Backpack Team

Very nice, the pool and the view to table mountain is amazing and it's not that far to the top of long street.

Hi there, thank you for your review of The Backpack! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to welcome you back in the future! Kind Regards, The Backpack Team

Amazing views, especially from the pool and a nice bar with good food. Location is 10 minutes walk from Long Street, though get a taxi there at night. Very good hostel.

Hello, thanks for the review! We are happy to hear you loved staying with us and exploring Cape Town and its surroundings. We hope to see you again soon! Kind Regards, The Backpack Team

Nice place to be and they can afford to be much more expensive then the other hostels. The rooms are cleaned up every day and you get a towel. Unfortunately someone stole my stuff from the kitchen - only the ones they could you use - the rest i found in the common space. After all it's a hostel - you can get similar locations far more cheaper.

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to review us. We do have higher room prices that other hostels and that is because we strive to have fair wages for all our staff as well as involving ourselves in the community projects. Pity about the food situation, must have had some hungry guests around! We hope we can see you again soon! Kind Regards, The Backpack Team

1 2 3 Next » last »