The Backpack Reviews

74 New Church Street, Cape Town, South Africa

The Backpack is a nice hostel, if you try to avoid staying in Longstreet, but still want to have a close hostel to Longstreet.

My son and I especially enjoyed the view from the Steve Biko room which we also found very comfortable. The reception staff was exceptionally pleasant and hellpfulj. Overall, our stay was very agreeable and we look forward to coming back one day. Louis LeFevre

• 5th Mar 2014

Very good hostel, maybe the best I've stayed in. With everything you need close by and with the friendly and helpful staff assisting there's always stuff to do. I would definitely stay again.

• 3rd Mar 2014

It was one of the best hostels I've ever been to! staff was very helpful and friendly, the whole atmosphere was just great.

• 2nd Mar 2014

This hostel was the best I've stayed in travelling. The atmosphere here was great and met tons of travelers! Lucas and Mariano showed us the night life at night and made the whole week a great experience! I have never seen a better place to stay plus the location overlooking Table Mountain every morning!!! CHEERS!!! -Lindsay and Doug

The staff, facilities, atmosphere, and location are absolutely perfect. The best hostel I've ever stayed in. I will certainly come back to visit Cape Town and I would love to stay here again.

• 1st Mar 2014

thank you so much for your review we really appreciate it. Please come back to Cape Town I am sure there will be lots more to see and do. Kind regards The Backpack Team

We booked a Private Double Ensuite for 3 nights and a Deluxe Ensuite for one night. When we arrived we were told our booking was one night in the Private Double Ensuite and 2 nights in a Double Budget -no ensuite. Primose, the manager said ‘the system’ was to blame ie Hostelworld. We spoke for about 20 mins and she would not budge on her point and would not offer a discount for inconveniencing us either.

• 28th Feb 2014

Very nice hostel at the best location; not at long street, but really close, so more space and a swimming pool with a view at the table mountain.

Enjoyed my stay, not a party hostel.

Fantastic hostel, you can definitely see why they have been awarded the best! Helpful, friendly staff, great café/bar, awesome view, security at all times and good wifi connection no complaints here!

I enjoyed my stay at this hostel for several reasons. Firstly, the atmosphere is pretty good. Secondly, it is 5 minutes walk to long street, and lots of shops are near this hostel. I will definitely stay in this hostel if I go to Cape Town again.

This hostel was amazing, We really appreciated our stay in capetown and especially in this hostel. The rooms are clean an tidy. You are able to park your car in front of the hostel and the personal will have an eye on it and make sure that nobody will take it away for a little additional fee. It is possible to have breakfast at the hostel. It takes a little time to get the things you ordered and it not cheap for african conditions but the money is your contribution for fair working conditions

• 19th Feb 2014

Thank you so much, the staff was really doing everything for letting us feel like at home :) The atmosphere was nice with very nice people. Fortunately we didn't see any of the drunken teenager party crowds. Can recommend them!

Great staff, alway welcoming and helpful. The hostel was always clean and felt safe, and has nice communual areas to meet others travellers. Recommended!

My Korean friend and I spent three nights recently in the Backpack's annex, which is on the 8th floor of San Martini Gardens. We had a beautiful view of Table Mountain. Our small balcony overlooked the Company Gardens and we had easy access to several important tourist attractions. Safe on-site parking was a a big PLUS.

• 15th Feb 2014
  • South Africa

I loved this place, felt right at home and met some lovely people to spend time with whilst in Cape Town. All the staff are really friendly, the hostel is right near town, close to a shopping mall with cheap food, on a bus route. The bar in the hostel is great too, always some to talk to and the hostel arranges activities if you fancy it - I went to a braai in a bar in neighbouring Woodstock, really chilled bar with local people that I would never have found otherwise. A must go if in CT!

We stayed in a tent but they did not provide lock for it (we had to buy one). The hostel is well organized and with great variety of rooms. The wifi only works in the main lobby and in one of the living rooms inside. There is no regular beers in the bar, they provide only a few from unknown breweries, the breakfast is very expensive compared to any other place.

Thank you for your review. We have found that people prefer to use their own locks so do not provide any. The wi fi is free and works works in our cafe on our deck with great views of Table Mountain and in our comfy living room and yes our beers are all craft beers and we are very proud of that rather than supporting big monopolies. We really hope you tried one of them to find out how delicious they are. Kind regards The Backpack Team

One of the best Hostels I've been so far. The Breakfast is as amazing as the view. All the staff is helpful, friendly and caring - thank you!

• 11th Feb 2014
  • Austria

Thumbs up for your review! thank you and come back soon. Kind regards The Backpack Team

Very nice , laid back place next to the town center. The maze of small passes and corridors each of them leading to a different lounge.Many different common areas where you can meet other tourists. Well equipped- kitchen, bath rooms and so. Rooms have different sizes. I had a chance to have a big one withe a very high ceilling and those are very few. Staff is friendly and smiling. It's like an green and white enclave in the middle of the city

• 8th Feb 2014
  • Poland

Stay here is wonderful. Good location, just five minutes on foot to the central Long Street. Very nice rooms, comfortable beds. A lot of common spaces. Fresh and clean tovels available every morning. Great atmosphere in the living room and in the bar. Having breakfast looking at the Table Mountain is really great. Staff extremely friendly.

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. We really appreciate the kind words you said about us and are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope you will be back again one day. Kind regards The Backpack Team