The Backpack Reviews

74 New Church Street, Cape Town, South Africa

I enjoyed staying at The Backpack VERY MUCH. The atmosphere is just perfect and the staff was very nice and helpful with organising and booking of tours. Cooperating with Binny (Table Mountain Hikes) and Stoked Surf School (Surf lessons) is an excellent choice. Suggestion for improvement: FIRST: constant supply of soy milk at the bar for breakfast and in between cappuccino would be awesome. SECOND: I stayed at the room called "Leopard". But the little information brochure is showing a cheetah...

• 1st Dec 2013

We are so happy that you enjoyed staying with us and making use of the activities we have sourced. They truly are with the best people around that we know. Good idea about the Soy milk and pointing out our oops with the information brochure. We hope that you will be back one day! Seasons Greetings The Backpack Team

I loved my stay at the Backpack! The beds were comfortable in the dorm and I slept soundly. The staff, especially Paul and Lisa were fantastic. They made me feel at home and they were always happy to chat with me and give me advice. Only a couple of suggestions: some of the lockers in the dorm were broken and didnt close properly. And with such a big hostel a lot of the bathrooms were always occupied! I was only able to find three but there must be more somewhere else? Thanks guys, I'll be back!

At our arrival we were separate even if we booked to be together and added a message to be sure. Moreover there was a cockoroach in the dormroom and the staff didnt do something.

• 22nd Nov 2013

Very good and helpfull staff. Facilities and location are great. Had an awesome stay at this hostel.

• 21st Nov 2013

Best hostel in town. Great atmosphere, staff, bar, facilities, location. Staff went above and beyond in every situation to ensure I was having a great time. Plenty of suggestions for things to do around town as well. Ended up extending my stay to a week here. Would I return? Absolutely. Book in advance!

The staff at the hostel were very variable in how helpful they were. Lisa was great. She's friendly, helpful and has the personality to work in this type of environment. Other team members however were not. When we booked on one trip they had run out of information leaflets for it, and failed to advise us on what needed to be taken with us. They also gave us the wrong price which left us feeling quite embarrassed when we were asked to pay but didn't have enough money on us.

• 18th Nov 2013

It`s a very nice atmosphere and cool people. Staff and guests.

• 15th Nov 2013

Had an amazing time at the Backpack, great people, helpful staff and close to long street.

• 14th Nov 2013

YESSSS!!! thanks for helping make The Backpack so special. Hope to see you back here soon. Kind regards The Backpack Team

Home away from home! We stayed seven nights. Comfortable, good rooms, very helpful staff, fun planned activities, secure parking, nice bar and restaurant, great location. A great find in Cape Town! And importantly, your money supports some great needed community projects in the Cape Flats.

Thanks for your great review we are so stoked you liked our place and hope to see you in Cape Town again. Kind regards The Backpack Team

Good vibe.

• 11th Nov 2013
  • Norway

Thanks to all the wonderful guests who come and stay here!!! Kind regards The Backpack Team

One of the best hostels I have stayed at. Offers more than just a clean bed. Great atmosphere, staff and accommodations.

Thanks for taking the time to review and for your wonderful comments. We hope you will be back. Kind regards The Backpack Team

Good backpacker,, but lockers in the room can be opened easily, some are broken. Beds are very comfortable. good staff, and clean swimming pool.

Thanks for pointing out the lockers that need repairs. The lockers are locked with your own lock and we have found them to be quite safe for backpacks. We do have small safes as well where we advise guests to put their important documents and travel paraphernalia. Kind regards The Backpack Team

Nice atmosphere and great location. They have a small bar and you can buy breakfast at a reasonable price.

• 1st Nov 2013

We agree the views from our bar/cafe are great.You can see Table Mountain so you get a chance to relax into your holiday without doing much except lifting a glass of wine or bottle of beer or tucking into one of our delicious breakfasts. Looking forward to your return Kind regards The Backpack Team

The best hostel I have ever stayed in. Thanks!

And thanks to you too. We always say its the Best cause we get to meet the best people! Hope you will be back some day soon. Kind regards The Backpack Team

super atmosphere!!

• 1st Nov 2013
  • Belgium

Thanks for your review hope you will be back for some more fun Kind regards The Backpack Team

enjoyed our stay, friendly and helpful staff. Good central location. Would recommend this hostle

• 31st Oct 2013

wonderful atmosphere, perfect staff, exceptional cleanliness, big rooms and a very good breakfast selection!

Good WiFi access, nice breakfasts for sale and the staff were great at recommendations for days out and restaurants/bars/music venues. Slightly disappointed with the room's cleanliness, could have done with a quick vacuum (lots of hair about!)

• 27th Oct 2013

I never had such good bed-mattress in a hostel. The beds have upper hotel standard. Lots of corridors and loundges are without roof which are not fun in rainy days.

I would most definitely stay there again. The way the ensuite bathroom is configured is awkward but that's the only complaint I have and it is minor

• 25th Oct 2013