The Backpack Reviews

74 New Church Street, Cape Town, South Africa

Central location, walking distance to nightlife areas, fun bar, yummy breakfasts and espresso drinks available, helpful staff, nice pool with a gorgeous view of the Table Mountain, pub crawls and special events available, so fun, great place!

The hostel has a very friendly and pleasant vibe, great for lone travellers. The staff is friendly and helpful. Facilities and cleanliness are up to standard. The only slightly bad thing with the hostel is that the walls are very thin in some areas. Overall a great stay and I would definetely stay again if I was returning!

The staff working here really made the hostel experience very personable & much more enjoyable than many other hostels I've stayed at previously. A great group of people seemed to constantly rotate through the Backpack too, which is incredibly important to me. Other people have commented a lot on how clean & nice the place is, but I'd rather focus on the awesome people at the Backpack -- the real reason to go there!

Paul's hike to lion's head wad the highlight

We think its kinda cool too - so happy it was a highlight for you! Have a great New Year The Backpack Team

This was the best backpacker hostel we've ever stayed at. A really nice addition was to have the owners hang around to chat with. It was a great home away from home for us. The food was really good and the staff were most helpful.

• 9th Dec 2013
  • Mixed Group, 41+

Thanks for your review and its good to know the owners are not redundant yet!!! We hope you will be back -- as its now your home away from home! Kind regards The Backpack Team

I stayed in a single room and not the dorms. Everything was wonderful; no complaints. They wear their social responsibilities on their sleeves and that's awesome.

• 6th Dec 2013

Thanks for your review we are so happy you had a good time and we hope you will be back to visit again or come and volunteer Have a great New Year The Backpack Team

Great atmosphere, very clean and helpful staff.

Thanks for the great review. We hope you will return one day. Kind regards The Backpack Team

Our stay at the backpack was amazing!

• 2nd Dec 2013

This was really good! Im so happy with the location. Its so much better than the hostels on Long Street. None kept me awake during the night, and it's only a 5-10 min walk to Long Street. 30 min walk to Waterfront. There was soap in every bathroom! I loved it! Towels for use was handy and a decent kitchen where I could cook. The beers at the bar was rather "expensive" (R35) but they were local and tasty.

• 1st Dec 2013
  • Norway

Thanks for your review we really appreciate your feedback. As regards the beers we have 375 ml beer for R25 or the ones you had were 550 mls so you are getting much more beer for the extra paid. Wishing you a wonderful Festive Season The Backpack Team

I enjoyed staying at The Backpack VERY MUCH. The atmosphere is just perfect and the staff was very nice and helpful with organising and booking of tours. Cooperating with Binny (Table Mountain Hikes) and Stoked Surf School (Surf lessons) is an excellent choice. Suggestion for improvement: FIRST: constant supply of soy milk at the bar for breakfast and in between cappuccino would be awesome. SECOND: I stayed at the room called "Leopard". But the little information brochure is showing a cheetah...

• 1st Dec 2013

We are so happy that you enjoyed staying with us and making use of the activities we have sourced. They truly are with the best people around that we know. Good idea about the Soy milk and pointing out our oops with the information brochure. We hope that you will be back one day! Seasons Greetings The Backpack Team

Great view of table mountain.. just a couples of blocks away Long st. really nice atmosphere, installations & people.. clean & comfortable..

I loved my stay at the Backpack! The beds were comfortable in the dorm and I slept soundly. The staff, especially Paul and Lisa were fantastic. They made me feel at home and they were always happy to chat with me and give me advice. Only a couple of suggestions: some of the lockers in the dorm were broken and didnt close properly. And with such a big hostel a lot of the bathrooms were always occupied! I was only able to find three but there must be more somewhere else? Thanks guys, I'll be back!

At our arrival we were separate even if we booked to be together and added a message to be sure. Moreover there was a cockoroach in the dormroom and the staff didnt do something.

• 22nd Nov 2013

Very good and helpfull staff. Facilities and location are great. Had an awesome stay at this hostel.

• 21st Nov 2013

Best hostel in town. Great atmosphere, staff, bar, facilities, location. Staff went above and beyond in every situation to ensure I was having a great time. Plenty of suggestions for things to do around town as well. Ended up extending my stay to a week here. Would I return? Absolutely. Book in advance!

The staff at the hostel were very variable in how helpful they were. Lisa was great. She's friendly, helpful and has the personality to work in this type of environment. Other team members however were not. When we booked on one trip they had run out of information leaflets for it, and failed to advise us on what needed to be taken with us. They also gave us the wrong price which left us feeling quite embarrassed when we were asked to pay but didn't have enough money on us.

• 18th Nov 2013

It`s a very nice atmosphere and cool people. Staff and guests.

• 15th Nov 2013

Had an amazing time at the Backpack, great people, helpful staff and close to long street.

• 14th Nov 2013

YESSSS!!! thanks for helping make The Backpack so special. Hope to see you back here soon. Kind regards The Backpack Team

Home away from home! We stayed seven nights. Comfortable, good rooms, very helpful staff, fun planned activities, secure parking, nice bar and restaurant, great location. A great find in Cape Town! And importantly, your money supports some great needed community projects in the Cape Flats.

Thanks for your great review we are so stoked you liked our place and hope to see you in Cape Town again. Kind regards The Backpack Team

Good vibe.

• 11th Nov 2013
  • Norway

Thanks to all the wonderful guests who come and stay here!!! Kind regards The Backpack Team