The Backpack Reviews

74 New Church Street, Cape Town, South Africa

I love The Backpack, I stay there everytime I visit Cape Town. The best part is the atmosphere and the friendliness of the staff and other guests. Great location and close to all the attractions. I highly recommend staying there.

Thanks for your kind words and we are pleased that your good experience is repeated every time you stay with us. We look forward to the next time. Kind regards The Backpack Team

Super place. Good atmosphere at the bar in the evening with free wifi. I was in women's 4 bed dorm which was very spacious with nice decor. Each bed had sizeable locker and plenty of space to lay out luggage and belongings. I highly rate this place!

• 6th Jan 2014

Thanks for your review we really appreciate it. We are very happy you had a good experience in our backpackers and hope you will return one day. Kind regards The Backpack Team

I've stayed in The Backpack only 1 night, but definitely I can say that this is a unique hostel!! Probably the best hostel that I ever stayed in my life! Very clean, spacious, different type of rooms, great staff helping you all the time, to book trips, explore the city, etc. Good food and a very cool bar, where you can easily meet people, party or even relax. Very good location! Surrounded by restaurants, bars, and shops. Highly recommended!

Thanks for this awesome review we hope you will come back and spend more time with us next time. Kind regards The Backpack Team

This place was awesome! Loved the staff!! Would 100% recommend everyone to stay here.

• 3rd Jan 2014

Staff,Staff, Staff- drove them nuts with my questions as I didnt really come prepared to Cape town - but they answered everything with so much patience, helping me calling the different places and booking it. besides, its a great place, chilled, lodge, swimming pool, dinning area and bar. Stay there!

Good for you for testing us!!! Next time book ahead so you can spend your whole time with us!!! Kind regards The Backpack Team

We rented the apartment in Martini Garden across from the Company Park and it was wonderful! An awesome full view of Table Mountain, walking distance from hip Long Street, and of course, across the street from the beautiful and lively park. The perfect setting for our Cape Town holiday.

• 27th Dec 2013

We are thrilled you enjoyed the apartment at St Martini Gardens. We hope to see you again at The Backpack. Thanks for your positive response. Toni Owner

Central location, walking distance to nightlife areas, fun bar, yummy breakfasts and espresso drinks available, helpful staff, nice pool with a gorgeous view of the Table Mountain, pub crawls and special events available, so fun, great place!

The hostel has a very friendly and pleasant vibe, great for lone travellers. The staff is friendly and helpful. Facilities and cleanliness are up to standard. The only slightly bad thing with the hostel is that the walls are very thin in some areas. Overall a great stay and I would definetely stay again if I was returning!

The staff working here really made the hostel experience very personable & much more enjoyable than many other hostels I've stayed at previously. A great group of people seemed to constantly rotate through the Backpack too, which is incredibly important to me. Other people have commented a lot on how clean & nice the place is, but I'd rather focus on the awesome people at the Backpack -- the real reason to go there!

Paul's hike to lion's head wad the highlight

We think its kinda cool too - so happy it was a highlight for you! Have a great New Year The Backpack Team

This was the best backpacker hostel we've ever stayed at. A really nice addition was to have the owners hang around to chat with. It was a great home away from home for us. The food was really good and the staff were most helpful.

• 9th Dec 2013
  • Mixed Group, 41+

Thanks for your review and its good to know the owners are not redundant yet!!! We hope you will be back -- as its now your home away from home! Kind regards The Backpack Team

I stayed in a single room and not the dorms. Everything was wonderful; no complaints. They wear their social responsibilities on their sleeves and that's awesome.

• 6th Dec 2013

Thanks for your review we are so happy you had a good time and we hope you will be back to visit again or come and volunteer Have a great New Year The Backpack Team

Great atmosphere, very clean and helpful staff.

Thanks for the great review. We hope you will return one day. Kind regards The Backpack Team

Our stay at the backpack was amazing!

• 2nd Dec 2013

This was really good! Im so happy with the location. Its so much better than the hostels on Long Street. None kept me awake during the night, and it's only a 5-10 min walk to Long Street. 30 min walk to Waterfront. There was soap in every bathroom! I loved it! Towels for use was handy and a decent kitchen where I could cook. The beers at the bar was rather "expensive" (R35) but they were local and tasty.

• 1st Dec 2013
  • Norway

Thanks for your review we really appreciate your feedback. As regards the beers we have 375 ml beer for R25 or the ones you had were 550 mls so you are getting much more beer for the extra paid. Wishing you a wonderful Festive Season The Backpack Team

I enjoyed staying at The Backpack VERY MUCH. The atmosphere is just perfect and the staff was very nice and helpful with organising and booking of tours. Cooperating with Binny (Table Mountain Hikes) and Stoked Surf School (Surf lessons) is an excellent choice. Suggestion for improvement: FIRST: constant supply of soy milk at the bar for breakfast and in between cappuccino would be awesome. SECOND: I stayed at the room called "Leopard". But the little information brochure is showing a cheetah...

• 1st Dec 2013

We are so happy that you enjoyed staying with us and making use of the activities we have sourced. They truly are with the best people around that we know. Good idea about the Soy milk and pointing out our oops with the information brochure. We hope that you will be back one day! Seasons Greetings The Backpack Team

Great view of table mountain.. just a couples of blocks away Long st. really nice atmosphere, installations & people.. clean & comfortable..

I loved my stay at the Backpack! The beds were comfortable in the dorm and I slept soundly. The staff, especially Paul and Lisa were fantastic. They made me feel at home and they were always happy to chat with me and give me advice. Only a couple of suggestions: some of the lockers in the dorm were broken and didnt close properly. And with such a big hostel a lot of the bathrooms were always occupied! I was only able to find three but there must be more somewhere else? Thanks guys, I'll be back!

At our arrival we were separate even if we booked to be together and added a message to be sure. Moreover there was a cockoroach in the dormroom and the staff didnt do something.

• 22nd Nov 2013

Very good and helpfull staff. Facilities and location are great. Had an awesome stay at this hostel.

• 21st Nov 2013