The Backpack Reviews

74 New Church Street, Cape Town, South Africa

The place was clean, convenient, and all the staff were very friendly and helpful! Really enjoyed my stay here.

• 20th Oct 2014

Awesome people, lovely staff and just great fun. Definitely will come back. Cheers. Also good opportunities to book different tours and trips.

• 19th Oct 2014
  • Switzerland

This is the best hostel I have ever stayed in! Everything from the staff to the atmosphere at this place is just fantastic! The staff will help you with everything you need while youre in Cape Town and also make you feel like your home! Lisa is just the funniest person you will ever meet! I dont have any negative things to say about this place.

Lovely place, helpful staff, clean and beautiful bedrooms. Internet doesn't work well anywhere, but with patience you can work ir out. All the recomended tours were amazing!

We booked the hostel because of the good reviews on hostelworld but we were really disappointed. The staff wasn't very friendly and our room was OK but looked much worse than all the other hostels we stayed in and payed that much money for. Most importantly, the atmosphere in the hostel was really bad, people were not really interested in meeting new people at all. Would definitely not book again.

• 24th Sep 2014

This is one of the best hostels I've ever stayed in and I've travelled extensively. It has a fun bar, a great restaurant, large rooms, clean private bathrooms and amazing people! This is the place to be for everyone, young and old alike.

The best hostel that I stayed!!!! Excellence atmosphere! Good localization! Was perfect took my breakfast looking for table mountain! The staffs are great! When I came back to Cape Town I booking again!!

Thank you for reviewing our hostel. We are delighted to hear that you loved your stay with us and found the atmosphere at The Backpack to be excellent! It is awesome to hear that you could enjoy the views we have of Table Mountain from the hostel. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Kind Regards Eleni Good

The reality is much lower than my expectation. Price is R660 on website for a single room, private shower. But they didn't give me private shower. Another man just walked in and they gave him R500 for a double beds room! This is unbeliveable. The towel are old and thin like used for 10 years! Big noice you can heard in the room when people walk by. I never saw a smile in any of front desk staff! 15 minutes to long street, not safe to walk along at night. never go back again!

• 1st Sep 2014
  • China

An amazing hostel with amazing staff. Hot showers, clean rooms every night, great breakfast, decent internet in common area. The staff, travelers, and overall atmosphere give this hostel 5 stars...we had an unforgettable time. Shout out to Matt and Lucas for being badasses. There's a reason this hostel is rated the best in Africa.

It was a really nice stay. One gets easily into contact with other travelers. Nice atmosphere. Would definitely recommend to stay there!

• 29th Aug 2014

I loved staying there. The place is great and super relaxed at night. the playlist of coffee was exellent and many beautiful guests

• 27th Aug 2014

we loved this place. Everyone in the staff was very helpfull and kind. the room are comfortable but a little bit cool during the winter. we'll recommend this place.

I treated myself to the most expensive hostel in Cape Town, but I was not disappointed. The beds in the 8 bed dorm were gloriously soft and the atmosphere of the whole hostel is great, with everybody talking to everyone else. With many social areas and a bar there is always somewhere to chill out. Just a street away from Kloof and Long Street where all the action is as well. I've already booked my next weekend's stay here.

Fantastic Hostel in a brilliant location. All the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. The bar was cosy and laid back and the food on offer was delicious and good value. We stayed as a family of 4 and it was perfect for us but the atmosphere and facilities were also ideal for travellers in small groups or on their own. It's close to lots of bars and restaurants. There really can't be a better place to stay in Cape Town in this price bracket.

• 19th Aug 2014
  • Couple, 41+

My family and i stayed at this place for 2 weeks and we felt like it was our second home. The staff was excellent, and were always ready to listen to our requests and adjustments. I do apologise to fellow backpackers as we had a baby who often cried. Thanks for bearing with us.

Had a really wonderful stay. The staff were extremely friendly and accommodating.

• 7th Aug 2014

Good atmosphere, very close to long street - 10 min walk, also close to green market for souvenir shopping at bargain prices. Well organised arrangement for tours. Foreign currency enchasing facilty. They changed US$ at 9.4 which is same as what I got at airport form travellex after commission and better that water front who change at 8.4. But I found out the best is to use the credit card. Airport pick up & Breakfast not included. Pick-up fee was reasonable. Staff & guests were friendly.

• 29th Jul 2014
  • Sri Lanka

The staff was super friendly and very helpful. They very very knowledgable about tours and the city. The bar is a great place to have a drink and meet other travelers.

Extremely helpful and knowledgeable tours desk, great bar/cafe, fun atmosphere.

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel! We are delighted to hear that you found our staff to be helpful and knowledgeable during your stay with us. We are glad to that you enjoyed your time in our bar/cafe area. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Kind Regards The Backpack Team

The staff does not take the time to speak options through.

• 29th Jun 2014
  • Belgium

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel. We are sorry to hear that you felt we did not offer you more options during you stay. We always strive to ensure that our guests are given the best service possible. We hope that you will visit us in the near future. It is lovely to hear that you love the location of the hostel. Kind Regards The Backpack Team

← Back to search results