The Backpack Reviews

74 New Church Street, Cape Town, South Africa

I absolutely loved my 4-day stay at the Backpack. I had a lovely private room and shared bathroom; I really appreciated the provided shampoo and towels; to pay hostel prices and have a swimming pool in a lovely little garden overlooked by Table Mountain was amazing; all the staff were extremely friendly and helpful; the restaurant has great coffee and food; and all other facilities (kitchen, safes, etc) were excellent; and the tours/advice were spot on. I heartily recommend it.

Once you check in you don't want to leave again. The staff is friendly and helps you with everything. The communal lounge area is situated directly at the entrance, so you meet new friends very fast if you stay a little bit there. Long street, the place where most of the bars, clubs and restaurants are, is just a short walk away.

A really nice place to stay in terms of atmosphere location and helpfulness of staff. We were here for 5 days and i could have easily stayed longer. It is situated nicely between table mountain up the hill, the main party street adjacent and the whalf down the hill. Thanks for the fun times

We can only say thank you! We had an amazing time in this Hostel!

• 6th Jan 2015
  • Spain

Great hostel. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The place was immaculately clean. Nice big common areas. Bathrooms were great. Only drawback is that you can't really walk to anywhere safely in the evenings, but this is more a reflection on Cape Town than the hostel specifically.

A backpackers like no other (and I've been to a lot). The place is gorgeous, comfortable, clean and well situated. The staff very helpful. It's a place that you can enjoy fellow travellers in the bar or find your own space to relax. They become your personal concierge's the second you arrive. Most importantly they respect and give back to the community; so your money and time in South Africa not only enriches your mind; but South Africans as a whole. I'd highly recommend it!

• 3rd Jan 2015

Can see why this hostel has won multiple awards for best hostel in Africa for years in a row. They contribute to the society, stimulate their customers to donate and bring second hand clothing etc with them to donate as well. The price was a bit on the high side i thought and when i miscalculated the # of days i stayed, i could not get a refund. Quite inflexible line management. Everything needs to be approved by the manager on site. I guess this is how this motel supports the local community.

The hostel itself was great, however, it was disappointing that the booking that we had made in April was not available. The reception staff, Lisa and Melanie, handled this very well, however they assumed that management had informed us of this error. They continued to try to resolve this the next day. The room we were placed in was satisfactory, however was not what we had booked. I was disappointed that management had not informed us of this problem before we arrived.

Great atmosphere, friendly staff but it is expensive in terms of backpackers options. However, I did enjoy my stay, comfortable, clean beds, secure location, great vibe and great location. Would stay again!

Great place, great location, great staff, great fellow hosteliers. All around epic.

Nice hostel in great location! Only stayed for one night but would definitely recommend.

Great hostel. Nice staf. Wifi could be better (you have to login all the time and at some places bad reception). Also we missed a toilet in the last wing.

We didn't get the room we had booked but the staff were very friendly and helped us as good as they could so it was ok. We really got along with the staff and had a great time at the hostel.

• 20th Dec 2014
  • Sweden
  • Couple, 41+

This place is AMZING!!! I just had come of a 45 day camping trip and i really wanted something chilled and nice. I've stay all around the world but this is up there as the best!! The Pool is the BOMB!!!

The Backpack is a phenomenal hostel!! I've stayed in many hostels throughout the world and this is one of the best. The place fosters a real social atmosphere that attracts lots of awesome and interesting people. One night they even hosted a braai (South African BBQ) with a live band. Last but not least, the facilities are clean, organized, and well designed. I wish I could have stayed longer!

I really enjoyed the backpack! The staff goes above and beyond and the atmosphere is very inviting.

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay with us at The Backpack. It is lovely that you found the atmosphere of the hostel to be friendly and welcoming. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Kind Regards The Backpack Team

The hostel is the best I've ever stayed in. The staff are really hospitable and friendly and everyone as realy friendly. The view of table mountain is amazing and location is excellent -I would definately recommend staying here.

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel on Hostelworld.com. We are beyond delighted to hear that you felt this was the best hostel you have stayed in and that the staff were great towards you while you were here. We too love our view of Table Mountain! It really is beauty to see from the swimming pool or cafe area of the hostel. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Kind Regards The Backpack Team

Very nice hostel with very friendly and helpful staff. We were staying in a double bedroom. The room was very clean and has a comfortable bed in it. The room is not big and could be a bit noisy in the evening, but hé, your staying in a hostel. The're a lot of nice places to eat near the hostel, but also the hostels own breakfast and snacks are quite good. You won't regeer a stay here.

• 25th Nov 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel on Hostelworld.com. We are delighted that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful during your stay with us. It is lovely to hear that you were happy with the cleaning standard of the hostel. Our housekeepers work extremely hard to keep the hostel clean and tidy. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Kind Regards The Backpack Team

This was my 7th time in Cape Town and of course I stayed in The Backpack again. Best hostel in the Town! The only downside of the hostel is, their lovely receptionist Lisa supports Arsenal. What a pity!

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel. We are absolutely delighted that you loved your stay with us and have returned numerous to stay with us. We are sorry to hear that you aren't entirely happy with the teams our staff support! We will be sure to let Lisa know how you feel! We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Kind Regards The Backpack Team

Staff great, congratulations. I loved the stay, hope I can back. Will recomend to all my friends!

• 20th Nov 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel on Hostelworld.com. We are absolutely delighted that you loved your stay wiht us and hope to return in the future. We are delighted to hear that you were happy with services provided by the staff. Kind Regards The Backpack Team

« first « Prev 1 2 3