The Backpack Reviews

74 New Church Street, Cape Town, South Africa

Had a brilliant 6 days stay at The Backpack! It's a very welcoming hostel, fairly small so easy to make friends with everyone. The staff were amazing. So helpful and friendly. My boyfriend proposed to me with we were in Cape town 😊 the staff were all so lovely, give us free celebratory drink at the bar and helping us with nice places to eat and buy our ring. There are lots of yours you can book from this hostel we did a full day wine tour it was very good. I'd defiantly recommend this hostel!!

It's more expensive than other hostels around Long Street but has clean and neat linens and bathrooms. The bed in dorms is really comfortable and clean and the breakfast is the perfect. I can get many kinds of bread, fruits, cheese, cereal, teas and coffee. The staff is very kind and helpful and cares of me a lot even walking on the street for 1 min alone. She asked the guard to be with me until the main road showed up.

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to review us! Your stay with us contributes not only to paying staff fair wages, far above the minimum wage, but also contributes to the bursary fund and to the community programs we support. Your stay is making a difference! We are so glad that you had a good time with us and we hope to see you again soon. Kind Regards, The Backpack Team.

This is a more laid back and quiet hostel. The facility is attractive and comfortable. Every area is spic and span. The beds and bedding are perfect for a good night's rest. The breakfast was a buffet with everything. I felt this hostel was not a bargain but you did get what you paid for, quality. I suppose the high standards on all else had me disappointed that although free, the wifii was unreliable.

Definetely the best hostel we have been to in South Africa so far, everyone was superfriendly and helpful and theres a great breakfast is included in the price!

Hi there, thanks for the awesome review! We are so pleased you had a great stay with us and we hope to see you again soon. Kind Regards, The Backpack Team.

Great staff who really went out of their way to make our stay memorable and action packed. They sorted out all activities and gave recommendations about places to go and eat etc. Marvellous.

• 9th Aug 2015

Internet was not very good (slow and sometimes didn't work at all). It is worth spending a bit more money on that, as it is often one of the most important things for travelers (to skype with loved ones, etc). Breakfasts were wonderful, and the staff was all very friendly and helpful.

The Backpack deserves each and every award it has won. Simply the best and, according to the taxi driver, that is not just my opinion.

Hi there, thank you for the positive review. We really do strive to give guests a fun experience and to leave an everlasting memory of their stay. Kind Regards, The Backpack Team

This hostel was amazing. The staff were great, the breakfast was great and the atmosphere was perfect. I would definitely recommend this hostel and stay here again when i come back to cape Town.

The hostel is very well located and the room was very nice. The breakfast was amazing! At least during my stay it didn't seem much of a party hostel and more of a relaxed hotel! The only problem is that the water in the shower takes forever to get warm enough... I ended up taking cold shower so I wouldn't waste so much water!

Hello, thanks for taking the time to review us. If you come back in summer, every Tuesday we have a braai (barbecue) and band night. We also host wine tasting evenings and celebrate the public holidays. In winter, we tend to cozy up around the fires in the communal areas but there are always guests who are heading out to Long Street for a party. We do apologise for the cold shower and will have this seen to immediately. Kind Regards, The Backpack Team

Great hostel and friendly staff!

• 16th Jul 2015

Staff was outstanding and extremely helpful. Breakfast was divine. Only disappointment was not receiving the 100 rand back for key deposit when i returned the key...and hearing no reply from the email I sent about it. Otherwise I highly recommend staying here.

Very nice hostel, staff really go out their way to do everything possible for you. Location is near a bunch of bars and restaurants but at night they recommend you get a taxi not walk anywhere. Very impressed with the hostel, lovely rooms!

Hi there and thank you for a lovely review on our hostel. We are so glad that you had a brilliant stay with us and explored the evening entertainment around the city. We hope you will come back and join us in the future. Kind Regards, The Backpack Team.

Awesome, the staff were the best

• 26th Jun 2015

We are so chuffed to know that your stay was great and that the staff did what they could to make it even better! Kind Regards, The Backpack Team.

Just get power down on the first night. The location is less convenient than I expected as every night I took R80 taxi back to hostel from V&A waterfront. It would be much better if the safe is inside the room, not between the living room and the kitchen. Activities can be booked in the tourist desk, quite convenient!!!!

Hi there, thanks for reviewing your stay with us. Unfortunately, the power outages are unpredictable but we have solar lamps installed around the hostel to keep things lit up. Perhaps the taxi to the V&A Waterfront every day ended up being expensive but you will find that we have many shopping, eating and clubbing options just one road down from our location - Kloof and Long Street. Safes have been installed into all our rooms now, as well as extra safes in the lounge. Kind Regards, The Backpack

Very friendly staff, breakfast spread was one of the best I've seen in a hostel. All communal areas had a good feel to them, this is a really nice place to stay.

Thanks Rebecca for this great review please spread the word! Kind regards The Backpack Team

It's was a great stay. They made a confusion with my reservartion but fix it upgrading my room. So in the everything worked well. I highly recommended the hostel and will definetely come back. The only sort of complain that I have is that maybe the wall are too thin, and sometimes some people were really noisy at night.

So sorry that you had noisy neighbours sometimes people forget how sounds carry late at night but happy you were happy with the upgrade and liked everything else. Kind regards The Backpack Team

Awesome stafff

Not cheap but not expensive. Good price for a really complete hostel that provides a great experience in Cape Town. Clean, good location and with a friendly staff. Amazing.

Thank you Marcelo for choosing to stay with us. We love that you enjoyed your experience with us. Kind regards The Backpack Team

Fantastic stay!! Could have enforced quiet hour better.

• 3rd Jun 2015

Thanks Alan so glad you had a fantastic time not too sure what you mean by a quiet hour? if you mean for our guests to be quieter late at night then we do have signs up for our guests to respect others that might be sleeping. There is always a person on duty if you feel you need to report it to someone. We hope this wont deter you from coming back again and again and enjoying what we have to offer in the future. Kind regards The Backpack Team

I loved this place so much that I decided to stay for 2 weeks, and I made some great friends along the way. I could go on and on about all the pluses of this place: the value, the comfort, the cleanliness, the terrific breakfasts, the worthy causes / community programs that they support. I would definitely come back to stay here again!

• 29th May 2015

Hey Jason we want you to carry on about all the pluses too! Thank you for choosing to stay with us you have made a difference in our community programs and we look forward to your return. Kind regards The Backpack Team

« first « Prev 1 2 3