The Backpack Reviews

74 New Church Street, Cape Town, South Africa

The reality is much lower than my expectation. Price is R660 on website for a single room, private shower. But they didn't give me private shower. Another man just walked in and they gave him R500 for a double beds room! This is unbeliveable. The towel are old and thin like used for 10 years! Big noice you can heard in the room when people walk by. I never saw a smile in any of front desk staff! 15 minutes to long street, not safe to walk along at night. never go back again!

• 1st Sep 2014
  • China

An amazing hostel with amazing staff. Hot showers, clean rooms every night, great breakfast, decent internet in common area. The staff, travelers, and overall atmosphere give this hostel 5 stars...we had an unforgettable time. Shout out to Matt and Lucas for being badasses. There's a reason this hostel is rated the best in Africa.

It was a really nice stay. One gets easily into contact with other travelers. Nice atmosphere. Would definitely recommend to stay there!

• 29th Aug 2014

I loved staying there. The place is great and super relaxed at night. the playlist of coffee was exellent and many beautiful guests

• 27th Aug 2014

we loved this place. Everyone in the staff was very helpfull and kind. the room are comfortable but a little bit cool during the winter. we'll recommend this place.

I treated myself to the most expensive hostel in Cape Town, but I was not disappointed. The beds in the 8 bed dorm were gloriously soft and the atmosphere of the whole hostel is great, with everybody talking to everyone else. With many social areas and a bar there is always somewhere to chill out. Just a street away from Kloof and Long Street where all the action is as well. I've already booked my next weekend's stay here.

Fantastic Hostel in a brilliant location. All the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. The bar was cosy and laid back and the food on offer was delicious and good value. We stayed as a family of 4 and it was perfect for us but the atmosphere and facilities were also ideal for travellers in small groups or on their own. It's close to lots of bars and restaurants. There really can't be a better place to stay in Cape Town in this price bracket.

• 19th Aug 2014
  • Couple, 41+

My family and i stayed at this place for 2 weeks and we felt like it was our second home. The staff was excellent, and were always ready to listen to our requests and adjustments. I do apologise to fellow backpackers as we had a baby who often cried. Thanks for bearing with us.

Had a really wonderful stay. The staff were extremely friendly and accommodating.

• 7th Aug 2014

Good atmosphere, very close to long street - 10 min walk, also close to green market for souvenir shopping at bargain prices. Well organised arrangement for tours. Foreign currency enchasing facilty. They changed US$ at 9.4 which is same as what I got at airport form travellex after commission and better that water front who change at 8.4. But I found out the best is to use the credit card. Airport pick up & Breakfast not included. Pick-up fee was reasonable. Staff & guests were friendly.

• 29th Jul 2014
  • Sri Lanka

The staff was super friendly and very helpful. They very very knowledgable about tours and the city. The bar is a great place to have a drink and meet other travelers.

Extremely helpful and knowledgeable tours desk, great bar/cafe, fun atmosphere.

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel! We are delighted to hear that you found our staff to be helpful and knowledgeable during your stay with us. We are glad to that you enjoyed your time in our bar/cafe area. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Kind Regards The Backpack Team

The staff does not take the time to speak options through.

• 29th Jun 2014
  • Belgium

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel. We are sorry to hear that you felt we did not offer you more options during you stay. We always strive to ensure that our guests are given the best service possible. We hope that you will visit us in the near future. It is lovely to hear that you love the location of the hostel. Kind Regards The Backpack Team

LOVELY staff, from the reception, to the restaurant and the the cleaning ladies. Melanie can help you to book for tours and Joseph (the security guard) is always there to help around. Delicious (but quite expensive) breakfast. Nex to restaurants and a grocery store. I wish there could be WIFI everywhere, but it is only limited to the bar/restaurant. Since there are many open air areas, it can be quite cold at night or in the morning.

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel. We are delighted to hear that you loved the services provided by our staff, especially Melanie and Joseph. It is unfortunate you found the cafe pricey. We use only Fairtrade Coffee, Organic Eggs and Bacon in our meals as well. We do have WiFi available throughout the entire hostel, it is only the free WiFi available in the cafe area. We hope to welcome you back in the future. Kind Regards The Backpack Team

I come to Cape Town almost every year, and I always stay at the Backpack. Now that I bring students to South Africa, I am very pleased that there is a vibrant, well-located place like the Backpack for them to stay.

• 9th Jun 2014

Thank you for reviewing our hostel. It is awesome to hear you have loved your stay with us so much that you continue to visit us on a yearly basis, and that you get to bring students with you too. We are glad to hear that you love the location too. It is an awesome spot within the City! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Kind Regards The Backpack Team

I definitly want to go back one more time in this hostel. It was clean, safe and the staff was friendly! The situation is excellent (you can easly go to table Mountain and lion Mountain ) and there is a lot of restaurants around. You can also have service of laundry if you pay.

• 9th Jun 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel. We are glad that you felt safe within our hostel walls and that you were happy with our staff and how friendly they were to you too. Our housekeepers work extremely hard in keeping our hostel clean for all our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Kind Regards The Backpack Team

It was a really cosy place with great rooms (at least the female 4-beds room I slept in) with big saftey boxes and nice beds.

• 8th Jun 2014
  • Sweden

So much fun, fantastic resources

• 8th Jun 2014

Thank you for reviewing our hostel. We are delighted that you loved your stay with us. We are happy that you found all the facilities to be helpful and useful during your stay at The Backpack. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Kind Regards The Backpack Team

Amazing hostel! One of a kind. I felt at home in this hostel. Facilities were amazing. It is also a fair-trade hostel. I don't think they advertise that here. Anyway, book this without hesitation! Best for solo travellers. You meet a lot of people here. It is about 15-20 minute walk to V&A Waterfront (which is probably the most touristic area in Cape Town) but you can take a $5 cab ride from the hostel - which is recommended especially at night. Staff is knowledgeable and friendly.

Realy nice staff and a awsome location!

• 6th Jun 2014
  • Switzerland

Thank you for reviewing our hostel. We are absolutely delighted that you loved the location of the hostel. We too think it is in a great spot within the City too! We hope that you will be able to visit us again. Kind Regards The Backpack Team

« first « Prev 1 2 3