The Backpackshack Reviews

1 Mill Hill Road, The Talbot Pub, W3 8JB, London, England

Very nice place, the owner is great. Cheers

• 22nd May 2015
  • Poland

The fella who runs the pub/hostel is great - nothing was a problem for him. I rocked up at about midnight and thought I had booked a room with a double bed, turned out I hadn't. This wasn't a problem for him he cleaned the room and made the bed for me there and then! Clean kitchen and bathroom and good internet access. Brilliant value for money and the bed was very comfortable! Would deffo go back/recommend.

• 18th May 2015

Really nice hostel in a good and quiet area. All restaurants and food shops really near and good connection to the center. Very welcoming and friendly staff! I recommend this place for everybody :).

• 1st May 2015
  • Finland

Very friendly staff, go out of their way to help you out with accommmodations, getting around London, things to do. I was thinking of dropping a night of my reservation when I was there due to an early flight (I ended up staying), and they were completely fine with that which is unbelievably flexible and considerate for a hostel! Facilites were overall good, the downstairs bathroom smelled a bit odd though. Location's far, 30-40 minutes to center of the city, but nice walk and center town.

• 24th Apr 2015
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Thanks for a fair overall review - I believe you are a bit harsh on the location though... We are a 7 minute walk to Acton Town station. From there you have trains every couple of minutes to South Kensington for the Science & History Museums (14 mins), Knightsbridge (17 mins), Hyde Park Corner (18 mins), Green Park (20 mins), Piccadilly Circus (22 mins), Leicester Square (24 mins), Covent Garden (25 mins). Excellent link to Heathrow Airport and a quiet location for good night of sleep.

a little outsidde the city centre, yet the Metro station (Acton Town) is just 5Minutes away where Picadilly Line and District Line are operating

• 16th Apr 2015

If we have to come back in London we will return to this hostel. Rally nice staff.

• 3rd Apr 2015

Would defiantly stay again. Staff was friendly and helpful. Rooms and bathrooms were very clean.

Fantastic stay! From the moment I arrived to the moment I left, I was treated like family. The room was great, facilities were sufficient, the pub was perfect (great prices for a pint), and the staff were 100% genuine. Despite the location not being the most convenient for seeing the main London attractions, the hospitality and generosity of Derek's hostel/pub more than made up for it. When I travel back to London, I will be sure to look for a room here! Thank you to Derek and your family!

• 20th Mar 2015

Very convenient location to drive for a weekend trip to London and Windsor with free on-street parking for the weekend. Room above the pub was fairly bare and basic. Kitchen and bathroom also a bit tired but did the job. Host very friendly and helpful.

Thank you very much for a lovely stay and the lovely company. Not only The Backpackshack is awesome, but the pub below it, The Talbot, is full of kind people. We definitely recommend staying for a while!

• 11th Mar 2015
  • Portugal

Overall a good hostel. Very well positioned and with good facilities. I loved the people working there, they were very friendly and helpful. The only thing I need to point as less good is the cleaning. The toilets and bathrooms were very dirty and the Water for the shower was not string enouph. But again it was a very good hostel and with slipers is OK ;)

A really great hostel. The staff are super friendly, the facilities clean, and it's in a great location. There are good restaurants and a supermarket very close, and downtown London can be reached conveniently by the underground trains that leave from the nearby Acton Town station. I hope to stay here again on future visits to London.

• 24th Feb 2015

Always welcome!!!

Honestly, this was one of the nicest hostels that I have stayed out. The bathroom was really very clean, as were the rooms. The staff was excellent, as well, which made the experience even better. My boyfriend has never stayed at a hostel before either, so thank you for making it a great experience and changing his mind about staying at hostels. I have recommended your hostel to everyone in my study abroad group who showed interest in traveling to London.

Hey thanks for a great review, it's people like yourself who make all the hard work worthwhile...

Amazing value for money! Preasure in the shower in 3rd floor could be better though :) overall - very happy with the stay.

The shower could use a little work on it since it is not very powerful. There are a few signs of disrepair, such as wallpaper peeling off walls. Other than that I have no complaints.

• 6th Feb 2015

To be fair we are in the process of upgrading and during January repainted the top floor and relaid carpets throughout the bedrooms. During February we will continue with this and will replace the hall carpet at the end of the month. The wallpaper actually peeled (one little bit) only 1-2 weeks ago when I was painting which was unfortunate but will be fixed soon. By the end of February our facilities will be in a better condition than they have ever been.... Thanks for your feedback!

A lovely place to stay for the weekend and a great value for money. People were friendly and helpful. Would stay again.

• 6th Feb 2015

Derek was lovely, so accommodating and happy to help us with what we needed. He told us the best way to get where we needed, and was so friendly. The bed was super comfy and we had a great stay, would definitely recommend and return.

• 26th Jan 2015

Simple & wonderful: really helpful staff, nice and relaxed atmosphere :)

Really friendly host! Felt very welcomed and was a very pleasant stay!

• 26th Dec 2014
  • Brunei

Thanks for your kind words, welcome back any time...

Nothing fancy but very nice. The fact that there's a kitchen and cheap supermarkets near saves a lot of money and we never needed our earplugs as there was no noise from the pub at all (we were on the top floor). Nice and clean. Cleanliness of bathrooms and kitchen partly depends on fellow visitors. We spent a fun evening in the pub downstairs when they had live music and the locals and owner were very nice to us and interesting to talk with. Nice neighbourhood. About 30 min to central London.

• 22nd Dec 2014