The Backpackshack Reviews

1 Mill Hill Road, The Talbot Pub, W3 8JB, London, England

Thanks again Derek for your hospitality, we enjoyed our stay at the Backpackshack! Underground station in the vicinity, just 20 minutes to get to Central London, nice and tidy rooms and not to forget the pub right downstairs - all perfect! We'll be back when in London the next time!

very helpful and friendly landlord and staff, great location, we have enjoyed our stay at the Backpackshak

Thanks for a great review, much appreciated!!!

Derek and Sue did everything to make our stay the best possible. A bit far from the city center, but no big deal! Great value for money for a double bed private - there wasn't anything close to beat their price downtown. Thanks for all!

Place is much more run down than what you see in the pictures. Bathrooms need to be cleaned more frequently. They need more utensils in the kitchen as there was only one bowl, no chopping board and a limited supply of other cooking utensils.

Shame you don't mention any good stuff, like the £100 I saved you by changing your booking or the Free Wifi, towels, tea & coffee etc... Having said that you do make some fair points, I have checked the kitchen and found only 2 bowls and no chopping board. I do not understand the mentality of people who remove this stuff from hostels but they will be replaced immediately. Our cleaner was off sick for a week and I agree the standards here dropped but do not accept the place is run down at all

I can only recommend this hostel. It was a very nice atmosphere and I enjoyed cooking and meeting other travellers in the kitchen. The room was old but cozy and the bathrooms were mostly clean and often free. The way downtown was a little too long, but around the hostel there are many restaurants and a cheap supermarket that saved my friend and me lot of money (Morrisons). A bonus are the maps provided by the owner. I'd stay there again :)

Very nice hostel, good location and friendly staff. I really like the pub on the first floor. Nice place to talk with the owner and get some useful advice. Thank you Derek for your help and support during our visit. Croatian stadium boys

• 4th Aug 2014
  • Croatia

Not a very far walk to the subway station. There is a grocery store near by, lots of places to eat. In a pretty quiet area. Derek was very helpful when we arrived giving us a quick run through on what we need to know to get around. Derek was very helpful giving us a quick run through on what we needed to know to get around.

• 1st Aug 2014

Managed by Derek, a world traveler himself, the Backpackshack offers outstanding value-for-dollar accommodation in Acton Town, an easy 15 min. tube ride (zone 3) from London's major tourist attractions and welcome buffer from central London madness. Convenient walking access to a grocery, laundry, shops and restaurants. Pub downstairs is nice place to relax over a pint with a great group of pub regulars. Derek cares about his guests' experience, is helpful, and offers great advice. Recommend!

Your words are much appreciated Sir. It is this type of feedback which makes all the hard work worthwhile...

Really good place although the owner is not a king of cleanness, and the furniture in the room consist of beds and wardrobe (no chair, no table). Only 3 places to sit in the shared kitchen, so maybe you will have to eat in stand-up position. But 10 minutes walk to tube, 5 minutes walk to local centre, pub in the building :) . Very nice owner and low prices. It was nice to be there.

• 19th Jul 2014
  • Poland

I'm afraid I find your review a bit unfair and sarcastic in parts. With regards to cleanliness we have a rating of 87% which i'd guess is higher than the vast majority of hostels and something we are very happy with. There are only 3 stools in the kitchen that is true but as the sign says you can also eat your food in the bar where there are plenty more seats... We only have 20 beds and the kitchen is quite a good size for such a small property but 3 seats in there is enough...

The location was relatively close to Heathrow but still not too far from the city. The host was very friendly and helpful. It was good value for money. My room was adequate, but there was a bit of noise on the street outside late at night.

The Backpackshack has a friendly and helpful staff. The rooms are nice and clean, and they will lend anything you need (such as towels, hair dryers, wi-fi, etc) for free. The bathrooms are nice, but there is only 1 toilet and shower per floor, which can cause a delay in the morning and evening when people usually take showers. The location of the hostel is a bit far from the center of London, it is located in Zone 3. However, the walk through the neighborhood to the Tube station is quite safe.

Thanks for a generally positive and fair review. I take your point about the bathrooms with only 2 showers for 20 guests but i'd say that's a better ration than many hostels. Don't forget there are plenty of toilets on the ground floor aswell...

Thanks derek for accomodation. It was great!

• 8th Jul 2014
  • Czech Republic

It was a great help that the landlord offered to store our luggage for the day as our journey back home wasn't till the evening.

• 3rd Jul 2014

Really nice place in a really nice area a little bit away from all the typical Londonstuf. Charming area with lots of restaurants and a nice big park near by. The Backpackshack was friendly and even though the rooms were above a pub we didn't here that much noise. Nice little bedroom and a small kitschen to share, the bathrooms were great. And a really nice owner. Only good things to say, can absolutely recomend this place!

• 2nd Jul 2014
  • Sweden

We loved the informal atmosphere and our host Derek was very helpful and friendly. He went out of his way to make sure we made it to the airport on time. There was lots of flexibility with check in times. Sometimes there was a little wait to use the bathroom but generally we really enjoyed our stay.

• 29th Jun 2014

We were three girls attending summer school in London, and stayed at the Backpackshack for 3 weeks. The service was excellent, the manager was very friendly and helpful. The rooms and bathrooms were clean, and it was very nice to be able to access a kitchen to prepare and store food. The hostel is located about 20 minutes by tube from Oxford street, so its a bit far, but it is still a good price. We can highly recommend a stay, we will book a room there the next time we travel to London!

We really enjoyed staying here. The neighbourhood is really nice, while it is slightly out of the way of the main tourist attractions, we actually enjoyed this as it was quiet and it gave us a chance to see a different part of the city. Everything is only a tube ride away anyways. Everything was clean and both Derek and Sue were very helpful if we had questions about London or if we needed to arrange transport. I'd definitely recommend this place to my friends!

The Backpackshack had a very short walk to the Acton Town Tube which was easy access into London. When I got there, the owner gave me directions around Acton and two maps. I found this to be extremely helpful to anyone who was new to London. I felt at home there and very welcomed. I will definitely be going to the Backpackshack again.

• 19th Jun 2014

Nice and kind people, very good position near piccadilly line

• 18th Jun 2014

Pros: Derek and the rest of the staff are great! He is very friendly and willing to answer any questions you have about the city or how to get around. He is also very easy to get in touch with via email. Facilities are good-- we ended up staying twice! Cons: The hostel is very far out of the city center (30+ minute tube ride to anywhere in central London). Wifi isn't fantastic in the rooms, but good if you go down to the bar downstairs. Overall would recommend, but be aware of its location

Location is not ideal but I think you are a little harsh - we are 7 minutes walk to the nearest tube station then 15 mins on the Piccadilly Line to South Kensington which is zone 1 and one of the main destinations for tourists in London. Thereafter Knightsbridge, Green Park, Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square and Covent Garden are only a couple of minutes apart... Thanks for a very positive and fair review otherwise, was a pleasure...