The Backpackshack Reviews

1 Mill Hill Road, The Talbot Pub, W3 8JB, London, England

Greetings to Mr. Alexander, he was the best host.

• 1st Apr 2014

Thanks for the feedback, it was a pleasure having you guys here...

Clean 'hostel'. Didn't really come over as a hostel towards me, more as some spare rooms above a pub. Room was small but clean, so are the shower facilities. There is a pub downstairs which opens around 8 p.m. but I never stayed there. Hostel is located in Acton which is a Polish suburb, you can party there and think you'll be in Poland... nothing wrong with tho! 5-10 mins walk from the metro station, so good connection to the rest of London.

Hey, thanks for your review - well the positive parts. Not sure what your definition of a hostel is. I have spent years travelling, stayed at hundreds of hostels and find they come in all shapes and sizes. To say we are just a few spares rooms above a pub is just wrong. We offer clean and comfortable rooms, refurbished bathrooms, guest kitchen, free tea and coffee, free wifi, free maps, free use of towels, adaptors etc. We have a great bar with cheap drinks & cool staff. I could go on

The hostel was fine, except in a bad location! It was located about 20 minutes by Tube from central London and in a sketchy location! If you are young and do not feel comfortable walking through a poor neighborhood at night do not stay here! When we came back from the Tube at night we had to take a taxi back to the hostel (9 pounds one-way).

You DO NOT have to walk through a poor neighborhood. We are on the edge of an estate but you DO NOT have to walk through it. The tube station is a 7 minute walk in the other direction. The taxi fare is £6 usually, and only £9 at Xmas & New Year. Our average score on location is 74% which tells me that your outlook is way too negative. We are 20 minutes from Central London but how much would you have paid for a private triple room in Central London? Way more than the £20 per night here.

This is the second time I stayed here, and I will be returning in april. The staff are great and the rooms and facilities are clean. The tube station is not too far away and the prices are great. Highly recommended!

• 18th Dec 2013
  • Norway

Thank you sir, much appreciated. See you in April!

I would definitely recommend The BackPackShack. Really good place to stay after a horrendous night at another hostel beforehand. Derek the manager couldn't be more helpful, facilities are everything you need and nothing you don't, very clean. The pub downstairs is also great, competitive prices and good company.

• 29th Nov 2013
  • New Zealand

Thank you, Sir!

Loved it! Derek(the owner) is extremely nice and helpful.We were greeted with great maps, tips on what to do, on how to get around, everything was very useful to us! Location is great, very close to acton town station and the tube goes straight to the centre of the city, and if you buy an oyster card (as we did),you won't have a worry in the world. The hostel is very clean, located near banks, a supermarket, restaurants, a laundrette.We will definitely stay there again when we go back to London!

My 2 friends and I stayed at The Backpackshack over the weekend and were very pleased. Derek, the owner, was very helpful and pointed us in the direction of the local amenities. A nice room, good wifi, and clean linens also made it a pleasant stay. The area itself is very quiet. A nice change of pace from being near the London city center. It's also nice that if you don't want to go out, you can just walk down the stairs and have a pint or 3. I would definitely recommend this hostel.

Far away (at least 30 minutes by tube). Place was nice, clean, friendly staff even though the regular staff weren't there. They had painted the room we stayed in the night before, so it smelled pretty bad both nights we were there...

30 minutes by tube from where? Our location is not that bad, we are 7 minutes walk to the tube station then 15 minutes to South Kensington which is in zone 1 and one of the most popular tourist locations. Following that you have Knightsbridge, Green Park, Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square and Covent Garden only a couple of minutes apart. I'm sorry for the inconvenience with the room smelling of paint and agree that should not have happened...