The Backpackshack Reviews

1 Mill Hill Road, The Talbot Pub, W3 8JB, London, England

Would recommend to anyone. Lilies to the Piccadilly line, friendly staff, and clean facilities

• 17th Jun 2015

Really good hostel. Derrick, the guy running it, was incredibly helpful and a really nice guy. The hostel is clean and 7 mins walking from metro. In terms of value for money it is excellent.

• 15th Jun 2015
  • Portugal

Although the Backpackshack is a 20-min tube ride away from the center of London, it can be easily reached, especially from Heathrow. Derek, the owner of the hostel, is a very nice guy and still let us check in at 2am when our flight was delayed :-) The hostel and the pub belonging to it have a cozy and familiar atmosphere; bedrooms and bathrooms are simple but clean and nice. So, everyone looking for a comfortable and rather cheap stay in London - the Backpackshack is your choice!

• 10th Jun 2015

excellent staff friendliness and helpfulness cleanliness excellent if ever thinking of expanding a bigger kitchen would be an improvement, sydney

• 9th Jun 2015
  • New Zealand

Stayed here with my cousin over the weekend. Easy to to find and good location. While not in central London, it's a 5-minute walking from the Acton Town tube stop, which is on the PIccadilly one (excellent for tourist!). Our room was very clean and bright and large - we got moved to a 3-bed room when our twin room door wasn't locking properly. Hassle free. The staff was great - Derek was super friendly and helpful, with directions and advice on what was nearby (cafes, shops, etc). Loved it!

• 6th Jun 2015

A great hostel with really friendly and welcoming staff. t's located outside of the centre but that wasn't a problem for us, really easy to get to on the District line and only a short walk from the tube station. We were in London for 3 days and it was nice to be in more of a residential area, outside of the madness of central London. The local map of cafes and shops was a really nice touch, with a decent greasy spoon (Frank's Cafe) recommended for breakfast.

For the price, i highly recommend it.

Lower shower didn't work properly, a lockable safe would be great

Hey the lower shower is fixed now, sorry for the inconvenience. Not sure I understand your comment about lockable safe as you had a private room. Our record on security is excellent...

Everything was very clean and comfortable! The hostel is a little out of the city but you can take the tube almost right to it! Overall a great stay!

Very nice place, the owner is great. Cheers

• 22nd May 2015
  • Poland

The fella who runs the pub/hostel is great - nothing was a problem for him. I rocked up at about midnight and thought I had booked a room with a double bed, turned out I hadn't. This wasn't a problem for him he cleaned the room and made the bed for me there and then! Clean kitchen and bathroom and good internet access. Brilliant value for money and the bed was very comfortable! Would deffo go back/recommend.

• 18th May 2015

Really nice hostel in a good and quiet area. All restaurants and food shops really near and good connection to the center. Very welcoming and friendly staff! I recommend this place for everybody :).

• 1st May 2015
  • Finland

Very friendly staff, go out of their way to help you out with accommmodations, getting around London, things to do. I was thinking of dropping a night of my reservation when I was there due to an early flight (I ended up staying), and they were completely fine with that which is unbelievably flexible and considerate for a hostel! Facilites were overall good, the downstairs bathroom smelled a bit odd though. Location's far, 30-40 minutes to center of the city, but nice walk and center town.

• 24th Apr 2015
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Thanks for a fair overall review - I believe you are a bit harsh on the location though... We are a 7 minute walk to Acton Town station. From there you have trains every couple of minutes to South Kensington for the Science & History Museums (14 mins), Knightsbridge (17 mins), Hyde Park Corner (18 mins), Green Park (20 mins), Piccadilly Circus (22 mins), Leicester Square (24 mins), Covent Garden (25 mins). Excellent link to Heathrow Airport and a quiet location for good night of sleep.

a little outsidde the city centre, yet the Metro station (Acton Town) is just 5Minutes away where Picadilly Line and District Line are operating

• 16th Apr 2015

If we have to come back in London we will return to this hostel. Rally nice staff.

• 3rd Apr 2015

Would defiantly stay again. Staff was friendly and helpful. Rooms and bathrooms were very clean.

Fantastic stay! From the moment I arrived to the moment I left, I was treated like family. The room was great, facilities were sufficient, the pub was perfect (great prices for a pint), and the staff were 100% genuine. Despite the location not being the most convenient for seeing the main London attractions, the hospitality and generosity of Derek's hostel/pub more than made up for it. When I travel back to London, I will be sure to look for a room here! Thank you to Derek and your family!

• 20th Mar 2015

Very convenient location to drive for a weekend trip to London and Windsor with free on-street parking for the weekend. Room above the pub was fairly bare and basic. Kitchen and bathroom also a bit tired but did the job. Host very friendly and helpful.

Thank you very much for a lovely stay and the lovely company. Not only The Backpackshack is awesome, but the pub below it, The Talbot, is full of kind people. We definitely recommend staying for a while!

• 11th Mar 2015