The Backpackshack Reviews

1 Mill Hill Road, The Talbot Pub, W3 8JB, London, England

Greetings to Mr. Alexander, he was the best host.

• 1st Apr 2014

Thanks for the feedback, it was a pleasure having you guys here...

Clean 'hostel'. Didn't really come over as a hostel towards me, more as some spare rooms above a pub. Room was small but clean, so are the shower facilities. There is a pub downstairs which opens around 8 p.m. but I never stayed there. Hostel is located in Acton which is a Polish suburb, you can party there and think you'll be in Poland... nothing wrong with tho! 5-10 mins walk from the metro station, so good connection to the rest of London.

Hey, thanks for your review - well the positive parts. Not sure what your definition of a hostel is. I have spent years travelling, stayed at hundreds of hostels and find they come in all shapes and sizes. To say we are just a few spares rooms above a pub is just wrong. We offer clean and comfortable rooms, refurbished bathrooms, guest kitchen, free tea and coffee, free wifi, free maps, free use of towels, adaptors etc. We have a great bar with cheap drinks & cool staff. I could go on

The hostel was fine, except in a bad location! It was located about 20 minutes by Tube from central London and in a sketchy location! If you are young and do not feel comfortable walking through a poor neighborhood at night do not stay here! When we came back from the Tube at night we had to take a taxi back to the hostel (9 pounds one-way).

You DO NOT have to walk through a poor neighborhood. We are on the edge of an estate but you DO NOT have to walk through it. The tube station is a 7 minute walk in the other direction. The taxi fare is £6 usually, and only £9 at Xmas & New Year. Our average score on location is 74% which tells me that your outlook is way too negative. We are 20 minutes from Central London but how much would you have paid for a private triple room in Central London? Way more than the £20 per night here.

This is the second time I stayed here, and I will be returning in april. The staff are great and the rooms and facilities are clean. The tube station is not too far away and the prices are great. Highly recommended!

• 18th Dec 2013
  • Norway

Thank you sir, much appreciated. See you in April!

I would definitely recommend The BackPackShack. Really good place to stay after a horrendous night at another hostel beforehand. Derek the manager couldn't be more helpful, facilities are everything you need and nothing you don't, very clean. The pub downstairs is also great, competitive prices and good company.

• 29th Nov 2013
  • New Zealand

Thank you, Sir!

Loved it! Derek(the owner) is extremely nice and helpful.We were greeted with great maps, tips on what to do, on how to get around, everything was very useful to us! Location is great, very close to acton town station and the tube goes straight to the centre of the city, and if you buy an oyster card (as we did),you won't have a worry in the world. The hostel is very clean, located near banks, a supermarket, restaurants, a laundrette.We will definitely stay there again when we go back to London!

My 2 friends and I stayed at The Backpackshack over the weekend and were very pleased. Derek, the owner, was very helpful and pointed us in the direction of the local amenities. A nice room, good wifi, and clean linens also made it a pleasant stay. The area itself is very quiet. A nice change of pace from being near the London city center. It's also nice that if you don't want to go out, you can just walk down the stairs and have a pint or 3. I would definitely recommend this hostel.

Far away (at least 30 minutes by tube). Place was nice, clean, friendly staff even though the regular staff weren't there. They had painted the room we stayed in the night before, so it smelled pretty bad both nights we were there...

30 minutes by tube from where? Our location is not that bad, we are 7 minutes walk to the tube station then 15 minutes to South Kensington which is in zone 1 and one of the most popular tourist locations. Following that you have Knightsbridge, Green Park, Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square and Covent Garden only a couple of minutes apart. I'm sorry for the inconvenience with the room smelling of paint and agree that should not have happened...

The owner was super friendly! Very good n helpful owner I ever meet. However, location a little bit far from city centre.. it's located on zone 3 in london..

The owner of the place is great. His very helpful.

My stay here was great, it was very comfortable, the staff we're very polite & helpful, the location was easy to get to and the room & bathroom were clean. Overall a very pleasant stay.

• 2nd Oct 2013

The Backpackshack is very good value for London, and unlike most other hostels, it has a guest kitchen and cheap groceries nearby. It's a little bit west but the tube is very close by for easy access to the city centre, the museums and Heathrow. The staff and the owner, Derek, are exceptionally helpful and really put themselves out for us. There's a proper local pub downstairs too - a more authentic London experience than you'll find in zone 1. I'm so late writing this, apologies! Thank you!

Hey thanks for a great review - better late than never... :D

Although the hostel is a little further away from city center, it was definitely worth it. It's handy to the tube and in a nice area that wasn't super noisy. But what really makes this hostel good is the staff. We felt very welcome and safe and the staff were super helpful for recommendations on anything from how to get around the city to where to eat and the cheapest way to get to the airport. I would definitely recommend this hostel.

• 23rd Sep 2013

The owner here was absolutely awesome. We didn't get in until 4 a.m., which was not a planned part of the trip- it was much later than we thought it would be, and he kept in constant contact with us and stayed up to let us in at 4 in the morning. He even came to the bus stop to get us when we finally arrived. If that isn't excellent service then I don't know what is! Big thanks to him for all he did for us. Distance is a little bit far from Centre London but really easy access to transportation.

• 19th Sep 2013

This place is great, we stayed for 5 days then made our way back to London a second time for 3 weeks. Both times the owner Derrek was more than accommodating and very friendly. Closely located to all the necessities(tube station, grocery store, laundry)while still being in a quiet area. The kitchen is fully equipped and all the bathrooms are clean/rennovated. Everything you'd need in for a long or short stay. The pub below doesn't cause noise and is a great place to meet locals. Highly recommend

Great hostel in a very good location, absolutely excellent value. Derek was a wonderful host and it was great having a pint with him and hearing some of his travel stories. The hostel was very affordable compared to other hostels in London and hits all the important requirements: cleanliness, a full kitchen, convenient access to cheap groceries, just down the street from the tube, awesome staff.

What a great review and every single word of it so true... :) Was a pleasure and I hope you guys enjoy the remaining months of your travels!!!

Very nice host, very helpful, provides you with (almost) everything you need, very clean

A great hostel and great value. It's in a much quieter location, which is nice after a day in central London. Rooms and facilities are nice, and clean. The pub is a nice spot to hangout as well. The owner is very friendly and helpful. Really, nothing bad to say about it.

It was nice, altho I only crashed for the night, but everyone was friendly and helpful. Cheers!

• 20th Aug 2013
  • Mexico

I loved my stay at the Backpack Shack. I stayed for 2 nights and went down to the bar on their first floor to mingle with the crowd and the bartender and owner could not have been more helpful and welcoming to a foreigner. On top of that, the usual customers were very friendly and open. The bartender introduced me to a drink called a Snakebite that I rather enjoyed. When I come back to London, I am sure I will stay there again.

• 20th Aug 2013