The Backpackshack Reviews

1 Mill Hill Road, The Talbot Pub, W3 8JB, London, England

Will def be back. Absolutely loved the place.

Thank you Sir, welcome anytime...

Stay was ok. Bathrooms were clean and so was the room. Location is close to metro station (5 min walk) which was good. Supermarket and cheap food places nearby. As a lone female traveller, the accommodation was sufficient as I stayed in my own private room. However, the area the hostel is in did make me a bit nervous at times.

• 13th May 2014

Excellent hostel, friendly staff at a reasonable price for London.

Hey thanks for the feedback, much appreciated...

A very nice stay in here. I booked a single room which is value for money. Quiet and nice atmosphere, with strong FREE WIFI connection in the room.Although it's a shared bathroom, the bathroom is clean and big. Hot water comes naturally. The kitchen has all the kitchenware you want. You can just enjoy cooking anytime you want. Besides, the host is very friendly and provides travelling information to you. The BEST host i ve ever met!

Hey thanks for a great review! Was a pleasure having you here...

The Backpackshack is the perfect place to stay for people who are on a budget and like to take a look in the life of the locals. Since my first visit, I've come back two more times. The rooms were always clean and big enough for all of my friends and their suitcases, which isn't an obviousness in a city like London. The Pub downstairs is another positive aspect I like about this place. After a hard long day sightseeing, you can sit down play pool, drink some beers or enjoy a chat with the owner.

• 11th Apr 2014

Hey, your comments are much appreciated. It's people like yourself who make it all worthwhile!

The staff is helpful but unprofessional. The rooms only have the absolute bare minimum. The cleaning staff don't seem to realize there's people using the facilities. The location is fine for activities in the area, but not for a London vacation.

The staff is unprofessional? We have a rating of 95% for staffing so I don't think that is very fair at all. In fact I went out of my way to collect luggage from your room as you went out very early and store it in my office for you... Location? You paid £26 for a one night stay in a private room. What exactly did you expect for this price? We are 15 minutes by tube to zone 1, Central London where the same room would have cost 2-3 times as much. Very poor and unfair review...

Greetings to Mr. Alexander, he was the best host.

• 1st Apr 2014

Thanks for the feedback, it was a pleasure having you guys here...

Clean 'hostel'. Didn't really come over as a hostel towards me, more as some spare rooms above a pub. Room was small but clean, so are the shower facilities. There is a pub downstairs which opens around 8 p.m. but I never stayed there. Hostel is located in Acton which is a Polish suburb, you can party there and think you'll be in Poland... nothing wrong with tho! 5-10 mins walk from the metro station, so good connection to the rest of London.

Hey, thanks for your review - well the positive parts. Not sure what your definition of a hostel is. I have spent years travelling, stayed at hundreds of hostels and find they come in all shapes and sizes. To say we are just a few spares rooms above a pub is just wrong. We offer clean and comfortable rooms, refurbished bathrooms, guest kitchen, free tea and coffee, free wifi, free maps, free use of towels, adaptors etc. We have a great bar with cheap drinks & cool staff. I could go on

The hostel was fine, except in a bad location! It was located about 20 minutes by Tube from central London and in a sketchy location! If you are young and do not feel comfortable walking through a poor neighborhood at night do not stay here! When we came back from the Tube at night we had to take a taxi back to the hostel (9 pounds one-way).

You DO NOT have to walk through a poor neighborhood. We are on the edge of an estate but you DO NOT have to walk through it. The tube station is a 7 minute walk in the other direction. The taxi fare is £6 usually, and only £9 at Xmas & New Year. Our average score on location is 74% which tells me that your outlook is way too negative. We are 20 minutes from Central London but how much would you have paid for a private triple room in Central London? Way more than the £20 per night here.

This is the second time I stayed here, and I will be returning in april. The staff are great and the rooms and facilities are clean. The tube station is not too far away and the prices are great. Highly recommended!

• 18th Dec 2013
  • Norway

Thank you sir, much appreciated. See you in April!

I would definitely recommend The BackPackShack. Really good place to stay after a horrendous night at another hostel beforehand. Derek the manager couldn't be more helpful, facilities are everything you need and nothing you don't, very clean. The pub downstairs is also great, competitive prices and good company.

• 29th Nov 2013
  • New Zealand

Thank you, Sir!

Loved it! Derek(the owner) is extremely nice and helpful.We were greeted with great maps, tips on what to do, on how to get around, everything was very useful to us! Location is great, very close to acton town station and the tube goes straight to the centre of the city, and if you buy an oyster card (as we did),you won't have a worry in the world. The hostel is very clean, located near banks, a supermarket, restaurants, a laundrette.We will definitely stay there again when we go back to London!

My 2 friends and I stayed at The Backpackshack over the weekend and were very pleased. Derek, the owner, was very helpful and pointed us in the direction of the local amenities. A nice room, good wifi, and clean linens also made it a pleasant stay. The area itself is very quiet. A nice change of pace from being near the London city center. It's also nice that if you don't want to go out, you can just walk down the stairs and have a pint or 3. I would definitely recommend this hostel.

Far away (at least 30 minutes by tube). Place was nice, clean, friendly staff even though the regular staff weren't there. They had painted the room we stayed in the night before, so it smelled pretty bad both nights we were there...

30 minutes by tube from where? Our location is not that bad, we are 7 minutes walk to the tube station then 15 minutes to South Kensington which is in zone 1 and one of the most popular tourist locations. Following that you have Knightsbridge, Green Park, Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square and Covent Garden only a couple of minutes apart. I'm sorry for the inconvenience with the room smelling of paint and agree that should not have happened...

The owner was super friendly! Very good n helpful owner I ever meet. However, location a little bit far from city centre.. it's located on zone 3 in london..

The owner of the place is great. His very helpful.

My stay here was great, it was very comfortable, the staff we're very polite & helpful, the location was easy to get to and the room & bathroom were clean. Overall a very pleasant stay.

• 2nd Oct 2013

The Backpackshack is very good value for London, and unlike most other hostels, it has a guest kitchen and cheap groceries nearby. It's a little bit west but the tube is very close by for easy access to the city centre, the museums and Heathrow. The staff and the owner, Derek, are exceptionally helpful and really put themselves out for us. There's a proper local pub downstairs too - a more authentic London experience than you'll find in zone 1. I'm so late writing this, apologies! Thank you!

Hey thanks for a great review - better late than never... :D

Although the hostel is a little further away from city center, it was definitely worth it. It's handy to the tube and in a nice area that wasn't super noisy. But what really makes this hostel good is the staff. We felt very welcome and safe and the staff were super helpful for recommendations on anything from how to get around the city to where to eat and the cheapest way to get to the airport. I would definitely recommend this hostel.

• 23rd Sep 2013

The owner here was absolutely awesome. We didn't get in until 4 a.m., which was not a planned part of the trip- it was much later than we thought it would be, and he kept in constant contact with us and stayed up to let us in at 4 in the morning. He even came to the bus stop to get us when we finally arrived. If that isn't excellent service then I don't know what is! Big thanks to him for all he did for us. Distance is a little bit far from Centre London but really easy access to transportation.

• 19th Sep 2013