The Backpackshack Reviews

1 Mill Hill Road, The Talbot Pub, W3 8JB, London, England

Great hostel in a very good location, absolutely excellent value. Derek was a wonderful host and it was great having a pint with him and hearing some of his travel stories. The hostel was very affordable compared to other hostels in London and hits all the important requirements: cleanliness, a full kitchen, convenient access to cheap groceries, just down the street from the tube, awesome staff.

What a great review and every single word of it so true... :) Was a pleasure and I hope you guys enjoy the remaining months of your travels!!!

Very nice host, very helpful, provides you with (almost) everything you need, very clean

A great hostel and great value. It's in a much quieter location, which is nice after a day in central London. Rooms and facilities are nice, and clean. The pub is a nice spot to hangout as well. The owner is very friendly and helpful. Really, nothing bad to say about it.

It was nice, altho I only crashed for the night, but everyone was friendly and helpful. Cheers!

• 20th Aug 2013
  • Mexico

I loved my stay at the Backpack Shack. I stayed for 2 nights and went down to the bar on their first floor to mingle with the crowd and the bartender and owner could not have been more helpful and welcoming to a foreigner. On top of that, the usual customers were very friendly and open. The bartender introduced me to a drink called a Snakebite that I rather enjoyed. When I come back to London, I am sure I will stay there again.

• 20th Aug 2013

The best hostel I've been, everyone is helpful and the place is really clean.

• 16th Aug 2013
  • Portugal

The hostel is located in a very calm neighbourhood where you find restful sleep after a long day out in London.The atmosphere in the 19th century Pub is cosy, the beer served by the very friendly and relaxed owner adds further pleasure to staying in this hostel.

• 11th Aug 2013

Thank you Sir, much appreciated. See you next time!

Stayed here with a couple of friends for a long weekend. The room was clean, the beds were nice and they provided towels and bed sheets. The staff is wonderful, and helped us with all sorts of things, from understanding the Metro map to getting tickets to a Manchester United game! Even though the hostel is right above the local pub, we never had issues with noise or anything like that - but rather enjoyed drinking beers with the locals. Will definitely stay at The Backpackshack again!

• 7th Aug 2013
  • Norway

Myself and the locals enjoyed drinking beers with you guys to! Welcome back anytime mate...

It's ok for a very short stay because it's cheap. I was there for a couple of days and people started to fight punching each other at the pub downstairs (which is often frequented by weird and aggressive dudes). People at the reception seemed friendly. To give a clear-cut answer: I do not recommend it.

I can understand to an extent why you have given us a bad review. There was a fight in the pub and of course that would give a bad impression. I should point out though that this is very rare and the incident that you witnessed is the worst I have experienced in 4 years of running this hostel. I should also point out that the guy who started the trouble is now banned for life from my property. The point about money is wrong - the balance due was £54 and that is what you paid when leaving.

definitely worth the money and the stay! the place is good, almost near central and the staff is awesome! :D

• 21st Jul 2013
  • Philippines

Thanks mate, see you at New Year perhaps... :)

Staying at the Backpackshack was definitely a good choice. We had a nice room with a huge patio, and Derek the owner was always very friendly and helpful and gave us some good advice in terms of places to eat and visit. Was a pleasure to meet him. We also had a great time hanging out at the cool bar downstairs. It's a good location, and the neighborhood felt like a pleasant refuge from the overcrowded Central London, which is easily accessible by nearby tube.

I've never been to a place with such a friendly staff! I really recommend this place if you want to visit London but don't mind using the underground every days to go there :)

• 17th Jul 2013

Was a great stay, the staff was very helpful! When we got there, he gave us a guide map and the popular spots to visit and how to get there. Room was nice, close to a general store, to buy anything you may need, as well as cafes, bars etc.

• 14th Jul 2013

We had a brilliant stay at the Backpackshack, Acton might be quite a ride with the tube but it wasn't too far. The area is really quiet and nice. The staff was really friendly and had good advice on public transport and things to see. We had the double room with balcony, which was great. The only thing that made it hard to sleep was the (street) light coming in from the top window above the balcony doors. We recommend this place for sure and will come back next time!

Loved the BackPackShack. Great owners- stayed up for us when we arrived at 1:30am, and chatted us up and gave us recommendations for our stay in London. A little outside of Central London, but near Acton tube stops, so travel is not an issue. Derrick is a great guy, and my only complaint is that I wished London Pubs could stay open longer so we could have enjoyed the Talbot when we got back after a long day of sight seeing. Would highly recommend.

Thanks Christopher, was good to meet you guys and i'm sorry we're not open later but I am an old man now and can't handle the fast lane any more. Hence the reason we usually close around midnight - 1am...

Great and friendly staff, really welcoming! Would stay here again my next time in London! Nice place to meet locals, good and clean rooms,and bathrooms, great kitchen! Good location. The only thing negative was that the room did not have any air condition, so it was a bit too warm. Thank you for a nice stay!

Thanks for a great review Susanne, enjoyed the drinks and the chat etc... Fair point about the heat, I will have a think about whether we can do anything to make life a bit more comfortable in future...

Basic accommodation at an affordable price, great location and friendly, helpful staff :)

• 5th Jul 2013
  • Wales

We really enjoyed our stay in the hostel! The place was clean and quiet, we managed to sleep pretty great. :) The staff were helpful as well! Downsides were that our bunk bed was a bit broken and it creaked A LOT... Also, there wasn't any tissues/towels to dry your hands in the upstairs toilet plus the hostel ran out of toilet paper few times, but those are just little minuses from our stay. This is a great place to stay with the price they have. We look forward to stay with them again!

• 4th Jul 2013
  • Finland

Riita, Thanks for an overall good review. With regards to the bed creaking I was not aware of that and will investigate. With regards to hand towels, it is not common for these to be provided in hostels however I do accept your point about the toilet roll, that should not happen here and is below the standard we set, so sorry for that... As I said thanks again for an otherwise positive review, would be a pleasure to have you guys back anytime...

I will use them again..........I cannot think of a better compliment

Very helpful guy, as soon as I got there he pulled out a map and circled all the touristy locations.