The Backpackshack Reviews

1 Mill Hill Road, The Talbot Pub, W3 8JB, London, England

Great place to stay for a couple of nights. Very friendly staff and clean rooms.

This hostel is chalk full of character. Set up over a bar, and run by an awesome local named Derick, the backpack shack won't disappoint. It's not a hotel, but is quite acceptable by hostel standards, plus the added fact that Derick truly cares about his guests. A friend and I, arriving late from travel, ended up not staying a night we had scheduled with Derick, essentially hanging him out to dry, and he refused to take our money for that evening! I had to force the rent on him later!

You were a gentleman Sir, hope the travels through Scotland and Scandinavia went well for you...

Our stay here was very, very nice, Derek the manager made us feel most welcome, as did the other members of staff. The rooms were comfortable, although a bit minimal in look. The bathrooms were very clean, with powerful, hot showers that were a delight after a day walking about London.. Security was good, with a key for access after hours. All in all, an excellent hostel. But, the most outstanding thing about our stay there was Derek's helpful, friendly and cheerful manner..a true gentleman!! :)

Location was okay, about a 10 minute walk to the station. Extremely hard to get home after the trains stop though. Took us nearly 2.5 hours to get back by bus. Very basic room, literally just a bed and wardrobes. We were right next to the bathroom which was helpful, but shower pressure wasn't good, really soft. The owner was awesome though, helped us a lot when we needed to get to places and gave us a map when checking in and telling us all the sites and train stations to use.

Thanks for the feedback - surprised it took you two and a half hours to get home on the night bus as it should only take around 40 minutes... With regards to the showers, yes it's true that one is better than the other which is a bit annoying... With regards to the rooms they are quite basic but good value in my opinion. We are looking to add plasma TV screens to each room over the next few months...

Very willing and nice owner, Mr. Derek Alexander.

• 29th May 2013
  • Czech Republic

Thank you Sir, much appreciated! Glad you enjoyed it...

This was the perfect place to come to after a long haul from France. This was obviously the neighborhood pub, and everyone was super friendly. There was fantastic food in the area and really helpful staff. We felt like locals here and would come back in a heartbeat. The surrounding village was absolutely adorable, and it was in fantastic location very close to the tube station. Very safe!

Staying at Backpackshack was great. The rooms are simple but clean and comfortable. I guess that is what you need on a short stay in London. It wasn't far from city center too. Derek, the owner, is a great guy. He is very helpful - he gave me maps and some advice on where I should go. I recommend this hostel to anyone visiting London.

• 23rd May 2013
  • Poland

Thanks mate, much appreciated. You are the 100th person to review my property on hostelworld and I think the 99th (or 100th) to give us a good review. It's the positive feedback from guys like yourself that makes all the hard work of running this old place worth it... Cheers!

Neat little hostel above the Talbot Pub. Derek was really helpful in getting us going with a map and providing advice. He pointed out the main things to see and was always available if we had any questions. Location was a little far out from the city center (20 minutes by metro) but easy to get to as it was only a few minute walk from the Acton Town stop which had direct lines to the city center on the Picadilly and District lines. Smaller rooms but very clean and great value for what we paid.

Very pleasant stay. The hostel's location is convenient with parking space and only a few minutes walk to the underground. The staff was so kind to send over my jacket to the Netherlands which I accidentally left in the hostel.

• 2nd May 2013

Derek is amazing and a great help. It is not the fanciest place but it's worth to check out! Close to Heathrow airport and a 20 minute tube ride from the center you have a quiet place to rest and explore the city of London with the expert advise and recommendations from Derek. You can also drink a beer just in the pub bellow and everything is around the corner.

• 22nd Apr 2013
  • Portugal

Well, of course you cannot expect to stay in the cleanest place in the world (you're in England, remember?), but the hostel in far enough from the city center to leave confusion and traffic away and near enough to the city center to reach main attractions in 30-40 minutes by tube. Rooms are little but you have a kitchen you can use the whole day and a pub downstairs where you can have a drink among friends. And there's Derek! A great host and great friend who will always help you. Nice place!

My mate and I stayed four nights at the Backpackshack in April and had a great time. It's cheap, it's clean, there's a nice kitchen, the shower was always hot and with great water pressure, and there's a pub downstairs that comes in handy if you're thirsty and don't want to head into town. We met fellow travellers there and really enjoyed ourselves. In addition, Derek is a great and welcoming host who's done a fair bit of travelling himself. He's always on hand if you need anything. Recommended!

We had a good, quiet stay at the Backpack Shack with great suggestions from the owner. The place itself is pretty basic, but fine.

The staff was awesome. I had serious problems with my credit card being unable to pay (they only accept cash). As I live close to London, the owner helped me giving directions to ATM's, banks, and helped me to solve the problem. There is a pub in from of the hostel, some drafts and it's a nice place for the price. Just some blocks from Acton Town underground station, the staff also gave us a map with cool spots for sightseeing in London. Recommended!

You canhear the music from downstairs, but the staff won't let the party go on too long so you'll get enough sleep.

• 5th Apr 2013
  • Finland

Everything was very clean and the staff was very friendly and helpful. It's a good place for staying in London. The price is good and the center is easy to reach.

Derek, the Hostel owner, was absolutely fantastic. He gave us a fantastic map of London and wonderful directions to all the places that we wanted to go. It was great sitting down with him and chatting about the locals and the things to do in the city. The hostel itself was great as well. Very quiet and clean. The kitchen was awesome and suited all of our needs perfectly! Would absolutely recommend this hostel to my friends and family, and hope to return sometime very soon!

• 3rd Apr 2013

Derek (the owner) was excellent. He was always very interested in what we were up to and whether we liked it. Had lots of good recommendations of things to do. Only problem was that it is a bit far out from the center, but at-least it is still within a 10 minute walk from the tube.

The hostel is rather far out, but it's close to a tube station with very frequent services into city centre. There's a large supermarket and restaurants nearby and the area is very quiet. The place was clean, the room was spacious (unfortunately there was neither a chair nor a reading lamp though), the bed was comfy, and showers etc. were working well. BUT the kitchen isn't unlocked before 9 am, and there weren't many dishes nor much cutlery available.

Donata, Thanks for your comments especially the positive bits. With regards to the kitchen it is open officially from 09:00 until 24:00 but generally a little earlier from 08:00. The kitchen is kept closed during the night for 2 reasons, the first reason being safety. I think it is fairly obvious that a kitchen fire in a hostel during the night could be catastrophic. The second reason is noise and respect for the people staying in the room next to the kitchen who are entitled a good nights sleep like everyone else. With regards to dishes and cutlery i'm afraid your fellow guests who insist on removing items from the kitchen or not washing up are to blame. You may be aware that many hostels in London do not provide a kitchen or charge a deposit for the utensils. I believe the kitchen here is very good by hostel standards. You say that unfortunately there is not a chair nor a reading lamp in the room. Whilst these may be nice things to have I don't really agree that they are essential to a positive travel experience and i'm sorry if you have returned home from a holiday in London with such trivial matters on your mind. I will however consider these points against other demands on our investment budget. Best Regards Derek

All in all this place is really awesome. Its a bit outside the very central London, about 4 stops in the tube but to me it feels more authentic and real London-ish. And its more quiet. I stayed there with my mom who has not stayed at a hostel for 20 years, but she really liked it too - especially the cheap price which you can spend on shopping instead. There is everything you need and the staff is so helpful with everything, recommendations/suggestions/prices. Just ask Derek and he'll help you!