The Backpackshack Reviews

1 Mill Hill Road, The Talbot Pub, W3 8JB, London, England

My 2 friends and I stayed at The Backpackshack over the weekend and were very pleased. Derek, the owner, was very helpful and pointed us in the direction of the local amenities. A nice room, good wifi, and clean linens also made it a pleasant stay. The area itself is very quiet. A nice change of pace from being near the London city center. It's also nice that if you don't want to go out, you can just walk down the stairs and have a pint or 3. I would definitely recommend this hostel.

Far away (at least 30 minutes by tube). Place was nice, clean, friendly staff even though the regular staff weren't there. They had painted the room we stayed in the night before, so it smelled pretty bad both nights we were there...

30 minutes by tube from where? Our location is not that bad, we are 7 minutes walk to the tube station then 15 minutes to South Kensington which is in zone 1 and one of the most popular tourist locations. Following that you have Knightsbridge, Green Park, Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square and Covent Garden only a couple of minutes apart. I'm sorry for the inconvenience with the room smelling of paint and agree that should not have happened...

The owner was super friendly! Very good n helpful owner I ever meet. However, location a little bit far from city centre.. it's located on zone 3 in london..

The owner of the place is great. His very helpful.

My stay here was great, it was very comfortable, the staff we're very polite & helpful, the location was easy to get to and the room & bathroom were clean. Overall a very pleasant stay.

• 2nd Oct 2013

The Backpackshack is very good value for London, and unlike most other hostels, it has a guest kitchen and cheap groceries nearby. It's a little bit west but the tube is very close by for easy access to the city centre, the museums and Heathrow. The staff and the owner, Derek, are exceptionally helpful and really put themselves out for us. There's a proper local pub downstairs too - a more authentic London experience than you'll find in zone 1. I'm so late writing this, apologies! Thank you!

Hey thanks for a great review - better late than never... :D

Although the hostel is a little further away from city center, it was definitely worth it. It's handy to the tube and in a nice area that wasn't super noisy. But what really makes this hostel good is the staff. We felt very welcome and safe and the staff were super helpful for recommendations on anything from how to get around the city to where to eat and the cheapest way to get to the airport. I would definitely recommend this hostel.

• 23rd Sep 2013

The owner here was absolutely awesome. We didn't get in until 4 a.m., which was not a planned part of the trip- it was much later than we thought it would be, and he kept in constant contact with us and stayed up to let us in at 4 in the morning. He even came to the bus stop to get us when we finally arrived. If that isn't excellent service then I don't know what is! Big thanks to him for all he did for us. Distance is a little bit far from Centre London but really easy access to transportation.

• 19th Sep 2013

This place is great, we stayed for 5 days then made our way back to London a second time for 3 weeks. Both times the owner Derrek was more than accommodating and very friendly. Closely located to all the necessities(tube station, grocery store, laundry)while still being in a quiet area. The kitchen is fully equipped and all the bathrooms are clean/rennovated. Everything you'd need in for a long or short stay. The pub below doesn't cause noise and is a great place to meet locals. Highly recommend

Great hostel in a very good location, absolutely excellent value. Derek was a wonderful host and it was great having a pint with him and hearing some of his travel stories. The hostel was very affordable compared to other hostels in London and hits all the important requirements: cleanliness, a full kitchen, convenient access to cheap groceries, just down the street from the tube, awesome staff.

What a great review and every single word of it so true... :) Was a pleasure and I hope you guys enjoy the remaining months of your travels!!!

Very nice host, very helpful, provides you with (almost) everything you need, very clean

A great hostel and great value. It's in a much quieter location, which is nice after a day in central London. Rooms and facilities are nice, and clean. The pub is a nice spot to hangout as well. The owner is very friendly and helpful. Really, nothing bad to say about it.

It was nice, altho I only crashed for the night, but everyone was friendly and helpful. Cheers!

• 20th Aug 2013
  • Mexico

I loved my stay at the Backpack Shack. I stayed for 2 nights and went down to the bar on their first floor to mingle with the crowd and the bartender and owner could not have been more helpful and welcoming to a foreigner. On top of that, the usual customers were very friendly and open. The bartender introduced me to a drink called a Snakebite that I rather enjoyed. When I come back to London, I am sure I will stay there again.

• 20th Aug 2013

The best hostel I've been, everyone is helpful and the place is really clean.

• 16th Aug 2013
  • Portugal

The hostel is located in a very calm neighbourhood where you find restful sleep after a long day out in London.The atmosphere in the 19th century Pub is cosy, the beer served by the very friendly and relaxed owner adds further pleasure to staying in this hostel.

• 11th Aug 2013

Thank you Sir, much appreciated. See you next time!

Stayed here with a couple of friends for a long weekend. The room was clean, the beds were nice and they provided towels and bed sheets. The staff is wonderful, and helped us with all sorts of things, from understanding the Metro map to getting tickets to a Manchester United game! Even though the hostel is right above the local pub, we never had issues with noise or anything like that - but rather enjoyed drinking beers with the locals. Will definitely stay at The Backpackshack again!

• 7th Aug 2013
  • Norway

Myself and the locals enjoyed drinking beers with you guys to! Welcome back anytime mate...

It's ok for a very short stay because it's cheap. I was there for a couple of days and people started to fight punching each other at the pub downstairs (which is often frequented by weird and aggressive dudes). People at the reception seemed friendly. To give a clear-cut answer: I do not recommend it.

I can understand to an extent why you have given us a bad review. There was a fight in the pub and of course that would give a bad impression. I should point out though that this is very rare and the incident that you witnessed is the worst I have experienced in 4 years of running this hostel. I should also point out that the guy who started the trouble is now banned for life from my property. The point about money is wrong - the balance due was £54 and that is what you paid when leaving.

definitely worth the money and the stay! the place is good, almost near central and the staff is awesome! :D

• 21st Jul 2013
  • Philippines

Thanks mate, see you at New Year perhaps... :)

Staying at the Backpackshack was definitely a good choice. We had a nice room with a huge patio, and Derek the owner was always very friendly and helpful and gave us some good advice in terms of places to eat and visit. Was a pleasure to meet him. We also had a great time hanging out at the cool bar downstairs. It's a good location, and the neighborhood felt like a pleasant refuge from the overcrowded Central London, which is easily accessible by nearby tube.