The Backpackshack Reviews

1 Mill Hill Road, The Talbot Pub, W3 8JB, London, England

The best hostel I've been, everyone is helpful and the place is really clean.

• 16th Aug 2013
  • Portugal

The hostel is located in a very calm neighbourhood where you find restful sleep after a long day out in London.The atmosphere in the 19th century Pub is cosy, the beer served by the very friendly and relaxed owner adds further pleasure to staying in this hostel.

• 11th Aug 2013

Thank you Sir, much appreciated. See you next time!

Stayed here with a couple of friends for a long weekend. The room was clean, the beds were nice and they provided towels and bed sheets. The staff is wonderful, and helped us with all sorts of things, from understanding the Metro map to getting tickets to a Manchester United game! Even though the hostel is right above the local pub, we never had issues with noise or anything like that - but rather enjoyed drinking beers with the locals. Will definitely stay at The Backpackshack again!

• 7th Aug 2013
  • Norway

Myself and the locals enjoyed drinking beers with you guys to! Welcome back anytime mate...

It's ok for a very short stay because it's cheap. I was there for a couple of days and people started to fight punching each other at the pub downstairs (which is often frequented by weird and aggressive dudes). People at the reception seemed friendly. To give a clear-cut answer: I do not recommend it.

I can understand to an extent why you have given us a bad review. There was a fight in the pub and of course that would give a bad impression. I should point out though that this is very rare and the incident that you witnessed is the worst I have experienced in 4 years of running this hostel. I should also point out that the guy who started the trouble is now banned for life from my property. The point about money is wrong - the balance due was £54 and that is what you paid when leaving.

definitely worth the money and the stay! the place is good, almost near central and the staff is awesome! :D

• 21st Jul 2013
  • Philippines

Thanks mate, see you at New Year perhaps... :)

Staying at the Backpackshack was definitely a good choice. We had a nice room with a huge patio, and Derek the owner was always very friendly and helpful and gave us some good advice in terms of places to eat and visit. Was a pleasure to meet him. We also had a great time hanging out at the cool bar downstairs. It's a good location, and the neighborhood felt like a pleasant refuge from the overcrowded Central London, which is easily accessible by nearby tube.

I've never been to a place with such a friendly staff! I really recommend this place if you want to visit London but don't mind using the underground every days to go there :)

• 17th Jul 2013

Was a great stay, the staff was very helpful! When we got there, he gave us a guide map and the popular spots to visit and how to get there. Room was nice, close to a general store, to buy anything you may need, as well as cafes, bars etc.

• 14th Jul 2013

We had a brilliant stay at the Backpackshack, Acton might be quite a ride with the tube but it wasn't too far. The area is really quiet and nice. The staff was really friendly and had good advice on public transport and things to see. We had the double room with balcony, which was great. The only thing that made it hard to sleep was the (street) light coming in from the top window above the balcony doors. We recommend this place for sure and will come back next time!

Loved the BackPackShack. Great owners- stayed up for us when we arrived at 1:30am, and chatted us up and gave us recommendations for our stay in London. A little outside of Central London, but near Acton tube stops, so travel is not an issue. Derrick is a great guy, and my only complaint is that I wished London Pubs could stay open longer so we could have enjoyed the Talbot when we got back after a long day of sight seeing. Would highly recommend.

Thanks Christopher, was good to meet you guys and i'm sorry we're not open later but I am an old man now and can't handle the fast lane any more. Hence the reason we usually close around midnight - 1am...

Great and friendly staff, really welcoming! Would stay here again my next time in London! Nice place to meet locals, good and clean rooms,and bathrooms, great kitchen! Good location. The only thing negative was that the room did not have any air condition, so it was a bit too warm. Thank you for a nice stay!

Thanks for a great review Susanne, enjoyed the drinks and the chat etc... Fair point about the heat, I will have a think about whether we can do anything to make life a bit more comfortable in future...

Basic accommodation at an affordable price, great location and friendly, helpful staff :)

• 5th Jul 2013
  • Wales

We really enjoyed our stay in the hostel! The place was clean and quiet, we managed to sleep pretty great. :) The staff were helpful as well! Downsides were that our bunk bed was a bit broken and it creaked A LOT... Also, there wasn't any tissues/towels to dry your hands in the upstairs toilet plus the hostel ran out of toilet paper few times, but those are just little minuses from our stay. This is a great place to stay with the price they have. We look forward to stay with them again!

• 4th Jul 2013
  • Finland

Riita, Thanks for an overall good review. With regards to the bed creaking I was not aware of that and will investigate. With regards to hand towels, it is not common for these to be provided in hostels however I do accept your point about the toilet roll, that should not happen here and is below the standard we set, so sorry for that... As I said thanks again for an otherwise positive review, would be a pleasure to have you guys back anytime...

I will use them again..........I cannot think of a better compliment

Very helpful guy, as soon as I got there he pulled out a map and circled all the touristy locations.

I recommend staying at this hotel! It's located close to underground station and bus stops. I really liked the atmosphere and the owner was very friendly and helpful, helped us a lot. It is a very good place to stay if you don't want to spend much on a accommodation. In a bedroom you don't find much more than a bed and a closet, but it's nice and clean. If you need something more, just turn to staff and they will help you. Cheers!

• 27th Jun 2013
  • Estonia

Great hostel!!! Very polite and helpfull staff, clean rooms with comfortable matrasses, good clean bathroom, kitchen with free tea and coffee, very quiet and relaxed hostel. The only downside was the location, quite far from the city center and a 10 minute walk to the closest tube but it was totally worth it. Great value for your money. The neighbourhood looked quite dodgy at first, but it turned out not te be at all. Would defenitely sty there again. Cheap, clean...rare thing in London!!!

Excellent place to stay. Clean and tidy accommodation and facilities. Good area close to lots of shops, tube station, places to eat and drink. Great, friendly, staff and locals to have a chat and a drink with and they are all very helpful. A very hassle free atmosphere. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would definitely go back.

• 24th Jun 2013
  • New Zealand

Was a pleasure having you here mate. Hope the new job is going OK for you and don't forget you said you would come back for a few beers with us at some point... :)

OK location - close to bus routes and underground with easy access to the city, above a pub so can expect a certain standard, not the cleanest but not the dirtiest, not bad value for money in London if you are just looking for a place to sleep not to hang out, great owner/manager.

This is one of the nicest hostels I've ever stayed in. Huge rooms. Great facilities. The only downside is that it's in Zone 3 of London. If you don't mind a 10-20min train ride to Central London, this is a fantastic place. The owner is incredibly well-traveled and extremely accommodating. Highly recommend.