The Backpackshack Reviews

1 Mill Hill Road, The Talbot Pub, W3 8JB, London, England

Great staff, incredibly helpful. Location was close to the tube and lots of restaurants and supermarkets. I'll definitely recommend this hostel. Thank you for everything Derek!

• 20th Nov 2014
  • Poland

Great staff, very helpful. Nice atmosphere in the pub downstairs. Good value for money.

Owner was very helpful and friendly. Hostel is above a bar but its quite so no need to worry about noise. Close to station, main street and local nightlife. Clean and tidy

The people who own it were absolutely lovely and were incredibly helpful. The bedrooms were clean (however a bin would have been nice), but the bathrooms and kitchen weren't clean. I understand that he's busy running his pub but the bathrooms and kitchen were pretty gross - saying that, the other guests are partly to blame too. Location was close to the tube and lots of restaurants and supermarkets. Apart from the dirty facilities, the place was great.

Great staff clean rooms

It's a really nice hostel and staff are kind and great. I'll definitely recommend this hostel.

Stayed for 6 nights in late Oct. Derrick(spell?)the owner- polite, helpful, offered map of the local town of Acton. Room/facilities are average & clean. Hostel is a 10min walk to the Tube. Main street of Acton Town is within a 2min walk and it has all the necessities: post office, cafes, bars, shops, church. Goods & dining are cheaper than in the city. Fairly quiet place. My only criticism: water pressure in the showers is way too low. Sinks are fine. Good price for longer stays.

The place was basic as expected, located on the first and second floor of a neighbourhood pub, but cleaner and better maintained than any hostel I've stayed in in London. Breakfast is excluded, but there's a supermarket around the corned that even serves a cheap full English breakfast in its cafe, for the interested. Bottom line is: staff were friendly and excellent, the place was spotlessly clean and the location, though remote, is in a nice neighbourhood and on the essential Picadilly line!

Great value for money. Hostels in London don't come cheap, and BackPackShack is definitely in the lower price range. So, you shouldn't be expecting the Savoy. That being said, hostel is clean, the neighbourhood is decent (working class people I guess), 5 min from the tube, 30 min tube drive to the centre of London and the owner - Derek is a really cool guy who will help you out anyway he can. So thumbs up for him and for the hostel. Cheers from Croatia

• 6th Oct 2014
  • Croatia

Thank you Sir, much appreciated...

Very enjoyable stay particularly friendlyand very helpful land lord.

• 6th Oct 2014

Thank you for everything Derek! Chris and I really enjoyed our stay. It was a perfect weekend.

• 3rd Oct 2014

Thanks for the feedback and glad you enjoyed it... Most welcome anytime!

We absolutely loved our stay at the backpack shack. I would choose to stay here again. Staff were extremely helpful and friendly.

• 27th Sep 2014

Thanks again Derek for your hospitality, we enjoyed our stay at the Backpackshack! Underground station in the vicinity, just 20 minutes to get to Central London, nice and tidy rooms and not to forget the pub right downstairs - all perfect! We'll be back when in London the next time!

Hey thanks for a great review, welcome back anytime...

very helpful and friendly landlord and staff, great location, we have enjoyed our stay at the Backpackshak

Thanks for a great review, much appreciated!!!

Derek and Sue did everything to make our stay the best possible. A bit far from the city center, but no big deal! Great value for money for a double bed private - there wasn't anything close to beat their price downtown. Thanks for all!

Place is much more run down than what you see in the pictures. Bathrooms need to be cleaned more frequently. They need more utensils in the kitchen as there was only one bowl, no chopping board and a limited supply of other cooking utensils.

Shame you don't mention any good stuff, like the £100 I saved you by changing your booking or the Free Wifi, towels, tea & coffee etc... Having said that you do make some fair points, I have checked the kitchen and found only 2 bowls and no chopping board. I do not understand the mentality of people who remove this stuff from hostels but they will be replaced immediately. Our cleaner was off sick for a week and I agree the standards here dropped but do not accept the place is run down at all

+ Gute, ruhige Lage auf 1/2 Strecke zw. Flughafen Heathrow und Innenstadt. Gute U-Bahn Anbindung + Freundliches Personal (Gepäckaufbewahrung möglich) 0 Einfache Zimmer ohne Schnickschnack (ok) - Dusche und WC im selben Raum, beim Duschen kann also niemand Anderes aufs Klo! 8 o. 9 Mehrbettzimmer teilen sich 2 (!) dieser Dusch-WC-Räume - Keine Steckdosen, Mülleimer, Papiertücher, Ablagefläche im "Bad" - Trotz täglicher "Reinigung" war das "Bad" nie wirklich sauber - Fenster schließen nicht richtig

• 14th Aug 2014

I can only recommend this hostel. It was a very nice atmosphere and I enjoyed cooking and meeting other travellers in the kitchen. The room was old but cozy and the bathrooms were mostly clean and often free. The way downtown was a little too long, but around the hostel there are many restaurants and a cheap supermarket that saved my friend and me lot of money (Morrisons). A bonus are the maps provided by the owner. I'd stay there again :)

Very nice hostel, good location and friendly staff. I really like the pub on the first floor. Nice place to talk with the owner and get some useful advice. Thank you Derek for your help and support during our visit. Croatian stadium boys

• 4th Aug 2014
  • Croatia

Not a very far walk to the subway station. There is a grocery store near by, lots of places to eat. In a pretty quiet area. Derek was very helpful when we arrived giving us a quick run through on what we need to know to get around. Derek was very helpful giving us a quick run through on what we needed to know to get around.

• 1st Aug 2014