The Bowery House Reviews

220 Bowery, New York, USA

The private room is smaller than jail, the hall is so dark. Visitors were very careful, but the structure makes there is not quiet. Location is really good, but compare with price, that is unacceptable place. No elebator, dryer..I used 2towels for 3days. If I go to NY one more time, I'll not choose this hostel.

• 31st Dec 2012
  • South Korea

Please beware, the rooms have no roof (it is a big hall separated by thin walls), so it is very noise. You hear everything that's going on in the other rooms and vice versa. If you are very sensitive to noise when you sleep, don't stay here. Otherwise it is an okay hostel in a good location and about as outrageously expensive as any other form of accommodation on the great island of Manhattan.

The place to sleep is too small (really really too small: no windows, no roof, just boxes with a bed) and then, too noisy.

• 30th Nov 2012
  • Argentina

Great area, shame about the hostel. The small beds, the ability to hear every single thing everyone else on the whole floor is doing in their room and the constant light shining into your room all night long are a hundred times worse than any review can communicate. Not recommended if you actually want to sleep.

• 24th Nov 2012

The rooms are crazy. Definately not european style but still acceptable.

• 13th Nov 2012
  • Poland

Very noisy, management should be more strict about the house rules. So many people talking on the phone and playing with all kind of gadgets, makes very difficult to sleep. The reception girls were very unfriendly.

It was dishonest to refuse to apply the deposit towards the bill.

Extremely noisy and not for claustrophobic people. Otherwise ok I guess

I will definitely recommend this hostel to family and friends! Not only was the location superb, but the shower and bathroom were very clean and elegant. The cabin itself was a little too small, because I hardly fit in the bed with my head and feet touching the wall (and I'm not that tall). But I guess there could be worse. All-in-all I enjoyed my stay at The Bowery House and will definitely come back. Keep up the good work! (btw: security check at the door downstairs at night is very useful!:)

Best hostel I've ever been in NYC. The only thing is that I was taller than the length of the room. Very nice staff.

the size of bed is smaller than me.

too dark, no hot water for showering, the stuff is really cold and it is also too expensive. the only good thing is the location,...only....

• 20th Aug 2012
  • China

The location is great and the place is very (!) clean. The rooms are tiny and I would not recommend to stay here if you are taller than 180 cm. For everyone else, the rooms are just fine. The rooftop green is nice to hang out.

Overall I was disappointed. The listening implies a nice, friendly and reasonably high quality hostel in lower NY. What I found was an over-priced hostel that had non-realistic views on its standard. I encountered an air con unit that literally rained condensation on my face as I slept, no hot water for showers for the last two days of my stay, and largely unhelpful staff (with the exception of one of the hostel staff who looked like Sandra bullock - you were great!). Passable if needed!

Location was good - Bowery subway is a 2minute walk. The street is a little dodgy though late at night. The staff were friendly enough and the roof top is gorgeous. First night, I stayed in a six bed dorm which was grand for a place to sleep. The next two nights, I stayed in a 'private' room which was terrible; overpriced for what was really a cabin: no proper roof, could hear everything from other 'rooms', very dusty, got bug bites from the bed. I'm an easy going hosteler and this wasn't great!

For what I paid I would of expected more of bedroom space. Bit noisy as the rooms were only seperated with wooden pannels and a open roof space. Only 3 small showers for the females. Staff were helpful, not far from Soho, china town. Safe area.

• 11th Aug 2012
  • Wales

Staff very rude. Location excellent, next to NoLiTa & SoHo. Security so-so, pseudo rooms are very accessible as they have open top with just a net. Privacy is zero even in the single rooms, because the walls are wooden, roof is shared, and you hear everything. You get silencing ear plugs, but to my ears they didn't fit. Given the high price the next time I will choose probably some normal hotel, it is not much more expensive.

I really enjoyed my stay at the Bowery Hostel location is excellent (beside soho and nolita) and the facilities (wifi, showers, bunks, bar and TERRACE) are really top class. The individual cabins wouldnt be to everybody's taste as they are quite small but overall the rooms are clean + secure + the dorm/bunks are really comfortable and kept cool with great a/c.You get a great crash pad in one of the coolest parts of the city, the rooftop terrace is amazing and the local food scene is 1st Class

• 26th Jul 2012

"Rooms" were astonishingly small - the closest you'll get to staying in a prison cell or a coffin - basically they've subdivided each floor into about 50 or so boxes. But secure enough and of course when in NYC, you should be in your hotel to sleep, but still pretty pricey - thought $45-50 would be a fairer price. Facilities pretty good - clean showers with toiletries provided a nice touch. Day staff were pleasant though Val on the night desk seemed to hate both her job and the customers!

The rooftop area made the stay magnificent. Great location, and the bike hire made the trip.