The Bowery House Reviews

220 Bowery, New York, USA

Extremely noisy and not for claustrophobic people. Otherwise ok I guess

I will definitely recommend this hostel to family and friends! Not only was the location superb, but the shower and bathroom were very clean and elegant. The cabin itself was a little too small, because I hardly fit in the bed with my head and feet touching the wall (and I'm not that tall). But I guess there could be worse. All-in-all I enjoyed my stay at The Bowery House and will definitely come back. Keep up the good work! (btw: security check at the door downstairs at night is very useful!:)

Best hostel I've ever been in NYC. The only thing is that I was taller than the length of the room. Very nice staff.

the size of bed is smaller than me.

too dark, no hot water for showering, the stuff is really cold and it is also too expensive. the only good thing is the location,...only....

• 20th Aug 2012
  • China

The location is great and the place is very (!) clean. The rooms are tiny and I would not recommend to stay here if you are taller than 180 cm. For everyone else, the rooms are just fine. The rooftop green is nice to hang out.

Overall I was disappointed. The listening implies a nice, friendly and reasonably high quality hostel in lower NY. What I found was an over-priced hostel that had non-realistic views on its standard. I encountered an air con unit that literally rained condensation on my face as I slept, no hot water for showers for the last two days of my stay, and largely unhelpful staff (with the exception of one of the hostel staff who looked like Sandra bullock - you were great!). Passable if needed!

Location was good - Bowery subway is a 2minute walk. The street is a little dodgy though late at night. The staff were friendly enough and the roof top is gorgeous. First night, I stayed in a six bed dorm which was grand for a place to sleep. The next two nights, I stayed in a 'private' room which was terrible; overpriced for what was really a cabin: no proper roof, could hear everything from other 'rooms', very dusty, got bug bites from the bed. I'm an easy going hosteler and this wasn't great!

For what I paid I would of expected more of bedroom space. Bit noisy as the rooms were only seperated with wooden pannels and a open roof space. Only 3 small showers for the females. Staff were helpful, not far from Soho, china town. Safe area.

• 11th Aug 2012
  • Wales

Staff very rude. Location excellent, next to NoLiTa & SoHo. Security so-so, pseudo rooms are very accessible as they have open top with just a net. Privacy is zero even in the single rooms, because the walls are wooden, roof is shared, and you hear everything. You get silencing ear plugs, but to my ears they didn't fit. Given the high price the next time I will choose probably some normal hotel, it is not much more expensive.

I really enjoyed my stay at the Bowery Hostel location is excellent (beside soho and nolita) and the facilities (wifi, showers, bunks, bar and TERRACE) are really top class. The individual cabins wouldnt be to everybody's taste as they are quite small but overall the rooms are clean + secure + the dorm/bunks are really comfortable and kept cool with great a/c.You get a great crash pad in one of the coolest parts of the city, the rooftop terrace is amazing and the local food scene is 1st Class

• 26th Jul 2012

"Rooms" were astonishingly small - the closest you'll get to staying in a prison cell or a coffin - basically they've subdivided each floor into about 50 or so boxes. But secure enough and of course when in NYC, you should be in your hotel to sleep, but still pretty pricey - thought $45-50 would be a fairer price. Facilities pretty good - clean showers with toiletries provided a nice touch. Day staff were pleasant though Val on the night desk seemed to hate both her job and the customers!

The rooftop area made the stay magnificent. Great location, and the bike hire made the trip.

Highly recommend this hostel. Very Clean. Showering facilities are great, they actually make you want to take a shower. Beautiful building interior and a really cool location, easy subway transport close by, cool bars and restaurants and right next to china town for cheap food. Helpful, lovely staff. The only complaint I have heard was for the single rooms where the walls do not go right up to the ceiling so noise can be an issue, I stayed in Mixed 8 dorm so that was no problem.

Singel Roms very Small and Short.

This place has ALOT of character. Its a very awesome building, all the rooms are very swanky. The rooftop hangout area is really nice, and has a good view. The bathroom are very clean, and the showers are nice. All the staff i spoke to were nice enough. The Common room was nice, but it wasnt very social at all... That said, the rooms dont have full walls, they pretty much only go up 3/4 of the way. This means that you can hear everything in every other room. It can be kind of loud.

Very impressed with the hostel. It has a great design and exceptionally clean with great bathrooms. The location is also excellent. The price is high for a hostel, but it appears to be common across the city. Charging 10$ to store my bag on the day of departure I thought was a bit much, especially as it is normally a free service at least for people who have stayed a few nights as in my case.

• 10th Jul 2012

The rooftop area was pretty awesome, but I think I gave myself the impression there was a bar in the hostel, sadly not. No problem though, brought a few bottles and some friends to the roof and had a great time. The place is very well looked after, always clean. The room I was in had air conditioning that left the room freezing in the morning, and apparently there wasn't anything could be done about it so they gave me another blanket instead, worked fine enough.

Very clean, but small beds. Showers and restrooms are excellent and new.

• 25th Jun 2012

They don't say in anything about the rooms being small almost like prison cells. And I've been there for 12 days, they only change my sheets 1 time! You can hear everything when you're sleeping. If your're close to someone who snores, you will be hearing EVERYTHING even when I guy moves on the bed! The rest was good....