The Bowery House Reviews

220 Bowery, New York, USA

Very clean, but small beds. Showers and restrooms are excellent and new.

• 25th Jun 2012

They don't say in anything about the rooms being small almost like prison cells. And I've been there for 12 days, they only change my sheets 1 time! You can hear everything when you're sleeping. If your're close to someone who snores, you will be hearing EVERYTHING even when I guy moves on the bed! The rest was good....

Amazing showers. Free shampoo, conditioner and body wash. Good internet. Great view from roof. Close to subway. Staff on Facebook most of the time. No one ever in common room or on roof. It reminded me of a fancy hotel with a shared bathroom. No where to change! Poor lighting. No group activities. 7/10

The hostel is value for money in an expensive city accommodation wise if you're a solo traveller. A three minute walk from Bowery subway station. Neighbourhood is safe to walk around a night too. I read the complaints about the bed size but it's workable. Bathrooms were always SPOTLESS when I used them. Nice roof garden and Wifi works throughout the entire property. This place really works if you're on a budget and all guest adhere to the basic respect rules of no mobile phone conversations in t

The top of the private rooms are open. This is inconvenient for the light sleepers, even when other guests try to be mindful. The rooms are quite small as well, people who are over 1,70 may have problems sleeping. Nevertheless, the place has a great feeling, it is clean, and the staff is extremely helpful.

• 22nd May 2012

The location is great...but I was very unimpressed with the service. It took me a while to check in because the 2 girls at the front desk where having a conversation and ignoring me. And then when I went to my room, it had clearly not been clean since the person that stayed before me...I told them at the front...they said no problem and I went out for an hour for lunch..came back..and STILL my room had not been cleaned. At the price of this hostel, I shouldn't have to ask twice for clean sheets.

The walls need to go to the ceilings so that each room can have total darkness at night. I can not sleep with lights shining six feet from my face. Ear plugs are great unless you need to hear your alarm go off. I ended up leaving at 2:00 a.m. because sleep was impossible. On top of that, within two days had THREE additional, incorrect charges on my credit card, one for a LATE check out!!! Unbelieveable. And the girl at the desk when I left was incredibly rude.

• 5th May 2012

Beds are slightly too small if you're tall, but this isn't hidden. Apart from that, the place is great. The idea is simple - it's open plan with little cabins, and a few private rooms. It's clean. The bathrooms are immaculate, in marble, glass and brass. Shower gel / shampoo / etc are supplied. The staff are incredibily nice, the decor is swanky, and the place was an entire pleasure to stay at.

Was a prefect location for shopping and sight seeing. A bit loud but they provide you with ear plugs. The beds are quite short un the single rooms though so if you're over 180cm it would be tough to sleep! Staff were nice tho and I felt quite safe travelling on my own.

This is a strange place. It is only a hostel in that it has shared rooms but otherwise it feels like a hotel. All the money has been spent on marble floors and expensive light fittings instead of facilities. No kitchen, no common room (Pictures show a waiting room in front), no events, no food allowed in the hostel at all. If you want a glass of water you can only buy a bottle at the from desk for $2. You won't meet anyone here. If you want a hostel experience you won't get it here.

• 21st Apr 2012

i was not told that each "cabin" was open at the top. I was not told that the space at the bottom of the bed is 4 inches , or that there is less than one foot on the side of the bed. i was not told that i would have no ventilation, and have to listen to snoring all night. i left at 2 am on the second night and i preferred sitting up in the bus terminal all night to the bowery house. these rooms are smaller than allowed in the criminal justice system. further, the manager has declined to resp

• 13th Apr 2012

Superbly located for most tourist sites in NYC and well priced, I enjoyed my stay here. The rooms are not much bigger than the single bed, but have a small cupboard, power and free, fast Wi-Fi. The shared bathrooms were immaculately clean with free shampoo and plenty of hot water Towels are free too. As for the noise at night, it is very loud with every noise made by other people audible. The provided earplugs did the trick and I slept well. This is a great place to crash at night while in NYC.

Cool place. Looks cool, cool location. BUT if you're over 5'8" forget sleeping - the single beds are for hobbits! I'm 6'2" and I hit head-to-toe the walls in the room, let alone the bed! Also, if you want a nice warm shower. Forget that too! Freezing cold or scorching hot most days I was there. There's also a nightclub below that pounds dance music till 3am every Friday and Saturday - they forget to advertise that. Thing is, you want a bed and a good shower in a hostel and this place has neither

Fooled into buying a "private room" when there is no ceiling to the room!!! It's merely a fence, over divided walls that is really one giant room. I heard snoring, coughing next to my ear, and movement from the other "rooms." This would all be ok had I not paid $80 for the so called room and more like 40. Not worth the price. You have to climb 2 flights of stairs to check in, + there was a homeless guy living right outside. The bed and towels, WERE clean, the staff was very nice, only pluses.

Don't be fooled. There are no rooms that are truly private. Since there is no ceiling, you are basically staying in a cubicle in a shared space. There is absolutely no sound privacy!

• 1st Apr 2012

Couldn't seem to get hot water?

The private room is in fact a box of 2 m x 1 ! The bed (70 cm large) is too short when you are 170 cm high, no ceiling bud a sort of fence : no darkness in the room and very noisy, even if it is forbidden to use cell phones. Some guy was using skype at 5am and no one told him anything... I paid $200 for two nights ! The most expensive hostel I've ever been, and I have been in many hostels in capital cities of Europe before !

Excellent, most beautiful receptionists in the world. All 3 of them!

• 26th Mar 2012
  • Scotland

Very Nice place, But Sleeping conditions are very noisy, The privates have no ceilings, so it all opens to the same loud room

This place was fine but not worth the money. Amazing location, close to clothes shops, cafes, bars, in a very cool area of Manhattan. But you couldn't bring your own food in so you would have to spend more on eating out. The corridors and rooms have dim 'mood lighting' but it's totally not practical - you can't see a thing in there. Big air-conditioning unit outside my dorm kept my nights noisy. Bathrooms were nice with marble/steel fittings but couldn't get hot water two mornings in a row.