The Brooklyn Riviera

Fabulous 60 Total Reviews
Fabulous 60 Total Reviews

29th Jul 2017
6.3

Location wasn't great for Manhattan but then I knew that when I booked. 10 minute walk to subway then 30 minutes and onwards to Manhattan. Security terrible (only 4 lockers for the whole of the hostel). No lock on room door so had to take all my valuables out with me. Only one toilet and one shower room which isn't ideal, never had an issue though. Some reviews have described this place as "rustic" but in my opinion it's pretty run down. Big plus is the atmosphere and Talib though.

28th Jul 2017

Very much enjoyed my stay at the Brooklyn Riviera! Staff were great, easy atmosphere to meet other travelers, and a nice community feeling. The facilities are a little run down but that gives it character (it was still very clean). Very good value considering towel, linens, and a small breakfast are all included.

• Brazil, Male, 25-30
16th Jul 2017

Simple but very good place. Close to subway stations and about 30 m to manhattan. Staff is great!!

16th Jul 2017
2.0

I called ahead and told someone I would be coming in later because I would be getting on a later flight. The guy said it was fine. When I arrived nobody was around to let me in. Then after a little bit of frustration I tried opening the gate and the Hostel was completely open for anyone to just get in. I walked into this place which was very small dark and dirty. It smelt of body oder, marihuana, and alcohol with a bunch of flies around the kitchen area. I ended up just leaving. What a Nightmare

13th Jul 2017
3.7

Worst hostel ever!! Wake up for breakfast, and found a mouse in the "kitchen". It's really dirty and unsafe if you arrive at night.

• England, Female, 25-30
12th Jul 2017
7.7

The hostel was quite run down in terms of the decor however it had everything you need in terms of facilities etc. The owner Talib was lovely and welcoming which was really appreciated as this was my first time staying on my own (and my first hostel!). No complaints, although they could use another toilet but it didn't really cause any issues. Over all I enjoyed my stay.

• BigDave101
  • Australia, Male, 25-30
12th Jul 2017

Great Place, Great Host, Great People, A Hell of alot of memories, cheap shopping locally & Cheap Eats.

• kathymarriottxx407
  • Scotland, Female, 18-24
26th Jun 2017

I had a great time staying here! Sadly it was only one night but I felt completely at home, the people were very friendly and welcoming. I would definitely recommend to everyone and would love to stay heere again!

• England, Male, 25-30
24th Jun 2017

Small, but a great atmosphere, homely, and the owner is the kindest man you could wish to meet. Clean bathroom and toilet, cute clean little kitchen, nice back garden area for eating and chatting. I would highly recommend it. Some reviews on here complain about the area- if you act with common sense and don't wander around in side streets in the early hours, you'll be fine- same as anywhere else in the world. If you want a cheap but good place to stay in New York- the cheapest by far- stay here.

• Brazil, Female, 25-30
19th Jun 2017
6.3

This is an honest review: the host is a super nice guy and I truly believe that that's what gives this hostel a high rate but make no mistake, it's a very rustic place. It's the cheapest hostel in the city and you get what you pay for. The rooms don't lock and there are no lockers. There's just one restroom and one bathroom for the whole place (around 16 beds or more). Beds are uncomfortable. The building is in a very rough shape. Despite all, I didn't have major issues, it was fine.