The Bulldog Reviews

Oudezijds Voorburgwal 220, Amsterdam, Netherlands

1962 Total Reviews

An amazing place to say for its perfect location, atmosphere, helpful staff, great free breakfast, cleanliness, constant hot water and other travelers who also seemed to be more than contented with what the B'dog had to offer. Therefore, if anyone wants the best all round, then the B'dog is the place to stay :-). I highly recommend the B'dog to any prospective traveler with the intention of staying there. Big shout out also to the barman Manuel, and the pretty receptionist with red glasses.

The hostel itself was located right next to the red light district - this location made all of the main attractions of Amsterdam really accessible. Staff were friendly and let me pay/check in early. The breakfast was welcomed - it didn't have a vast variety of things but there was enough there to feed yourself sufficiently, breads, meat, cheese, cereal etc. The security of the place was really good, I felt very safe as you had to show your pass to get into the building. Really clean also

Nice place right in the heart of Amsterdam. The rooms are nothing special. We just used them for sleep. The bar is big and comfortable. If you are a hostel guest you can bring your own food or you can buy suprisingly good food there. The prices are also reasonable for Amsterdam. They also don't have a problem with canabis smokers in the bar. The staff is very friendly.

• 20th Aug 2014
  • All Male Group, 25-30

The bulldog is really a great hostel. I chose it for indications of hostelworld and it exceeded all my expectations. The rooms are great, they have a private bathroom per room, the location could not be better, the service is great, all the staff are very attentive and friendly, the food is very good and the staff gave me great pointers tours. For sure I will return to host the bulldog me when I visit Amsterdam again.

Great location (right in the heart of the red light district). Staff are really nice and helpful. Wifi is FREE everywhere inside! Thought I was staying in a 12 bed dorm, but ended up in an 8 bed dorm-great! Lockers were narrow (typical) and only fit skinny locks (sold at front desk if yours doesn't fit). Bathrooms cleaned everyday. I left my bag in the luggage room on check out day for free. Free breakfast is simple but good for saving money, don't suggest eating the burger for dinner though. :)

It was great!!!

• 14th Aug 2014
  • Russia

Usually, this is the kind of place I avoid, but a short notice hostel in Ams can be a challenge.. So in that context... I didn't have a bad few days there. The staff are friendly, effective and when needed blunt, which I like. The location is great and the breakfast, tho simple and ends at 10, is appreciated. I would not say its a good place for a solo traveler, unless you are the kind who walks into a busy bar of strangers and makes a load of friends. I think 12 is also too many for a dorm.

It was just one day that i had to stay but it was very nice experience and located at the center of amsterdam central. very nice rooms, staffs were very great and cheerful. will definitely make my stays there in the next trips

My husband and I enjoyed our time at The Bulldog very much. He quickly decided it was his favorite place in Amsterdam and enjoyed spending our evenings back at the hostel bar, which was great for cheap drinks. Our beds were very comfortable and we both used our lockers (locks sold in the lobby vending machine if you need). The shower and toilet areas smelled a bit, but it wasn't too much of a bother. We felt safe the entire time. The wifi was great as well.

• 24th Jul 2014

Was good fun, clean rooms, lockers, clean bathrooms, some nice staff. Can smoke weed downstairs or on rooftop terrace but tobacco outside. Was right in red light district and around the corner from the dam rak (city centre) prime position, very very safe area, made lots of friends. Love it

• 19th Jul 2014

Had a great time Felt safe and secure Staff very helpfull Have been to AMSTERDAM 17 times over 20 years & first stay at the Dog I will return for sure See you next year guys:)

Very good hostel Excellent location. Coffee shops are downstairs! Def going back there.

The Bulldog Hostel was clean with friendly staff and excellent facilities including a roof terrace and a bar that served reasonably priced nice food. It's location in the centre of Amsterdam meant we could walk to all the tourist attractions. Would definitely recommend to any young travellers.

• 14th Jul 2014
  • Northern Ireland

This hostel is in a good location in the red light district but it is more akin to a hotel than a hostel. It was quite expensive and definitely a party hostel. I was disappointed to find that there was no non-commercial common area to chill out in, only the loud bar or coffeeshop.

The only real downfall of this place was the staff. They were often very quick to get impatient and would not always answer your questions or give you the time of day. Otherwise we really liked it. The bathrooms could be cleaner but that's more of a technicality as they were still useable and reasonably nice :-) PowerPoints for every bed were a huge plus!

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that our staff did not meet your expectations. This is pretty unusual for us as we see how hard our staff are working everyday. We're happy that you still managed to enjoy your time with us.

Best breakfast

Thanks. Glad we could get you off to a good start in the morning!

If your only looking for a great location then this is the hostel to be at. But apart from that the hostel is really expensive for the value of it. If your a single traveler, you do not meet anyone as everyone is reserved and in big groups and the hostel lack character for solo travelers. I felt that I paid way too much than what is has to offer. Overall one of the worst hostel I stayed in.

• 25th Jun 2014
  • Singapore

Thank you for the review. We fell terrible that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We will take your comments on board and do our best to improve. Enjoy the rest of your travels.

Excellent stay. Honestly I thought it was going to be one of those party hostels where you get no sleep at night. Not at all. All the delights of Amsterdam are right on the doorstep and when you want to go to sleep it's like a quiet utopia away from all the sights and sounds. I'm very impressed with the professionalism of this hostel too. They take security very seriously and don't take bullshit from wankers who are out to be loud and spoil things for others. Highly recommended :)

• 16th Jun 2014

Sometimes it can be difficult to find the right balance between permissiveness and security and we are constantly trying our hardest to make sure our guests can have as much fun as possible. Thank you for taking some time out to leave your review :)

We got what we expected from the Bulldog! Clean beds and bathrooms. The breakfast was good. Location perfect. Met some nice friendly people here and enjoyed our time! Would stay again.

Thank you so much. We are really happy that we able to meet your expectations. Enjoy the rest of your travels.

This was exactly what we were looking for except lockers could have been bigger. The atmosphere though with the downstairs bar and nextdoor coffee shop were amazing. The place to stay in Amsterdam