The Bulldog Reviews

Oudezijds Voorburgwal 220, Amsterdam, Netherlands

2026 Total Reviews

great location but no atmosphere for meeting fellow travelers. the resturaunt and coffee shop right next door are nice but i would definitely stay elsewhere in the future.

Very good location to see the city. Don't look for the typical hostel you would find somewhere else, this one feels more like a hotel (a bit more impersonal, I mean). In overall, good enough and nothing to complain.

This hostel is disgusting. Great location, but be warned it is gross.

• 20th Oct 2014

The best hostel that I have ever been in my travels.

• 17th Oct 2014

and this is one of the nicest reviews we could ask for! Enjoy the rest of your travels.

Nice hostel, great location, and very clean. But it's more of a hotel then a hostel. You won't meet anyone during your stay here, but it's good for groups.

Brilliant Hostel, brilliant staff, brilliant holiday!! Would definitely come back again!!

• 6th Oct 2014

Really nice to hear! We are so pleased that you had a great time with us!

There was nothing exactly wrong with the hostel, I just wouldn't stay there again. There was no common room, just a bar where anyone could gather. So as a solo traveller, it was a tad difficult to make friends at the hostel that way. The location was great, easy to walk everywhere from the hostel, breakfast was nothing special, there was no kitchen, and the staff was okay (not friendly but not rude).

One issue I had: they make you let them hold onto your passport or drivers license to get a room ID. This made no sense to me, and I hate handing over my passport.

Thank you for your review. It is not required to leave your passport with us. We do ask for guests leave a photo Id as deposit for their room key. This is mentioned on our booking confirmations and in our terms and conditions. We only ask for this while a guest is in possession of our keys. The Id can be returned to your 24 hours a day simply by turning your key into the reception. Glad to see you still had a nice time. Please enjoy the rest of your travels!

Great experience! I recommend!

Thank you for the nice comment!

Best hostel in Amsterdam!!! Can't ask for a better location or better bar and all you need around. Not the place for relaxation for sure, this is a place to have fun

Well said! Thanks for coming :)

Excellent place to stay in the heart of amsterdam.

• 30th Sep 2014

It was a very nice hotel! But I was a little disappointed on the breakfast...

• 28th Sep 2014
  • Sweden

I guess it's a great hostel if you're looking for a good party. Even though I wasn't, I enjoyed my stay a lot. Don't expect to fit any bag in the lockers, but at least there are lockers.

A great hostel if you are looking to meet other backpackers and experience everything the red light district has to offer. The staff were very helpful and the breakfast was pretty good. The lockers could be a bit better.

• 24th Sep 2014

I think this place is definitely worth to stay at when you are in Amsterdam. The lounge is nice, they also offer breakfast there. The location is good, central.

This hostel has a very good vibe, with great location, very safe and clean. Mattresses are really comfortable. The bar offers good food and beer (I'd recommend trying their hamburger with fries). However, compared to the other hostels I've stayed in Europe my feeling is that staff could be more friendly. Nice place for enjoying some crazy nights in Amsterdam.

Very good location

The staff wasn't friendly, no matter if they were stressed out because of the people or not. Rooms and facilities could be cleaner, especially in dorms. However, the location was really good and breakfast was fine, too.

Awesome spot to stay in Amsterdam. This visit was only a short one on my way to other parts of Holland. Close to the train station and right in the heart of the nightlife of Amsterdam! A little on the pricey side for a hostel but you do get what you pay for. Easy to meet people as well.

There is no soap in any of the restrooms. That is disgusting. The place is a cesspool of germs. They also need to be cleaned more often. There's urine everywhere. I had a soap in one of the restrooms, and the cleaning person threw it away. I ripped my shorts in half on one of your cheap bunk beds. The breakfast could really use some kind of fresh fruit. The lockers almost feel on me twice. We really could've used at least one fan in our room, probably two.

• 3rd Sep 2014