The Bulldog Reviews

Oudezijds Voorburgwal 220, Amsterdam, Netherlands

1991 Total Reviews

It was a very nice hotel! But I was a little disappointed on the breakfast...

• 28th Sep 2014
  • Sweden

I think this place is definitely worth to stay at when you are in Amsterdam. The lounge is nice, they also offer breakfast there. The location is good, central.

This hostel has a very good vibe, with great location, very safe and clean. Mattresses are really comfortable. The bar offers good food and beer (I'd recommend trying their hamburger with fries). However, compared to the other hostels I've stayed in Europe my feeling is that staff could be more friendly. Nice place for enjoying some crazy nights in Amsterdam.

Very good location

The staff wasn't friendly, no matter if they were stressed out because of the people or not. Rooms and facilities could be cleaner, especially in dorms. However, the location was really good and breakfast was fine, too.

There is no soap in any of the restrooms. That is disgusting. The place is a cesspool of germs. They also need to be cleaned more often. There's urine everywhere. I had a soap in one of the restrooms, and the cleaning person threw it away. I ripped my shorts in half on one of your cheap bunk beds. The breakfast could really use some kind of fresh fruit. The lockers almost feel on me twice. We really could've used at least one fan in our room, probably two.

• 3rd Sep 2014

I stayed in the 14 person dorm. As with any massive hostel, the social atmosphere were average and the staff were helpful but disengaged. The location was great, right in the middle of Amsterdam's raw and rowdy red light district. The facilities were clean and the bouncer out the front made you feel safe at night.

The location is amazing, the staff is amazing, the coffeshop is great, but the rooms had what you needed except for space. The room was very packed and once there are a few suitcases in the way, you have to long jump over bags to get to your bed. Other than that, this place was perfect for a red light experience.

• 30th Aug 2014

It's impossible to find a better location than this! Really enjoyed my stay here and couldn't have imagined it any other way. I will say that I'm lucky I met another backpacker because there were mostly groups staying in my dorm - I might recommend the place more for groups. Regardless, sweet place with awesome bar and rooftop terrace!

I liked this place. Not the cleanest hostel ever but not the worst either. Overall a cool place to stay if you're keen to just party and aren't looking for the cleanest, most comfortable hostel available.

The showers that don't have separation with the sink is a big inconvenient (have to use the squeegee...).

Felt more like a Hotel than a Hostel. Top quality facilities but not much atmosphere. Bar downstairs is very good though!

An amazing place to say for its perfect location, atmosphere, helpful staff, great free breakfast, cleanliness, constant hot water and other travelers who also seemed to be more than contented with what the B'dog had to offer. Therefore, if anyone wants the best all round, then the B'dog is the place to stay :-). I highly recommend the B'dog to any prospective traveler with the intention of staying there. Big shout out also to the barman Manuel, and the pretty receptionist with red glasses.

The hostel itself was located right next to the red light district - this location made all of the main attractions of Amsterdam really accessible. Staff were friendly and let me pay/check in early. The breakfast was welcomed - it didn't have a vast variety of things but there was enough there to feed yourself sufficiently, breads, meat, cheese, cereal etc. The security of the place was really good, I felt very safe as you had to show your pass to get into the building. Really clean also

Nice place right in the heart of Amsterdam. The rooms are nothing special. We just used them for sleep. The bar is big and comfortable. If you are a hostel guest you can bring your own food or you can buy suprisingly good food there. The prices are also reasonable for Amsterdam. They also don't have a problem with canabis smokers in the bar. The staff is very friendly.

• 20th Aug 2014
  • All Male Group, 25-30

The bulldog is really a great hostel. I chose it for indications of hostelworld and it exceeded all my expectations. The rooms are great, they have a private bathroom per room, the location could not be better, the service is great, all the staff are very attentive and friendly, the food is very good and the staff gave me great pointers tours. For sure I will return to host the bulldog me when I visit Amsterdam again.

First floor is a "coffeshop" where they sell and smoke weed . That could be a plus or minus for you but there is so much more to Amsterdam than the weed and red light district. The staff are very helpful and pleasant bit the hostel lacks a common area besides the aforementioned coffeshop and there isn't a kitchen either. The breakfast in the morning was excellent.

Great location (right in the heart of the red light district). Staff are really nice and helpful. Wifi is FREE everywhere inside! Thought I was staying in a 12 bed dorm, but ended up in an 8 bed dorm-great! Lockers were narrow (typical) and only fit skinny locks (sold at front desk if yours doesn't fit). Bathrooms cleaned everyday. I left my bag in the luggage room on check out day for free. Free breakfast is simple but good for saving money, don't suggest eating the burger for dinner though. :)

It was great!!!

• 14th Aug 2014
  • Russia

Usually, this is the kind of place I avoid, but a short notice hostel in Ams can be a challenge.. So in that context... I didn't have a bad few days there. The staff are friendly, effective and when needed blunt, which I like. The location is great and the breakfast, tho simple and ends at 10, is appreciated. I would not say its a good place for a solo traveler, unless you are the kind who walks into a busy bar of strangers and makes a load of friends. I think 12 is also too many for a dorm.

« first « Prev 1 2 3