The Bulldog Reviews

Oudezijds Voorburgwal 220, Amsterdam, Netherlands

At this hostel, it really depends on what you're looking for. If you want a place that is close to the Red Light District where you can stay out all night, this is it. I would have rated it much higher if that's what I was looking for. However, this place is more like a hotel, which makes it difficult to meet people if you are traveling alone. There is no kitchen or common area like most hostels. The staff help much with local tourism, only with coffee shops.

Being right in the middle of the red light district, I was worried this place might be a bit crazy. But the staff was very friendly and helpful, the rooms were clean, and the service was great. I would definitely stay here again- close to everything! Great for meeting people but also as a home base if you already have your plans made. I'm a bit older than most of the people in my dorm, but everyone was very friendly.

Was not our absolute favorite hostel, I wish the lockers were the cages that go under the bed- we could barely fit our backpacks. We had a 12 person room and the bathrooms were not cleaned as often as other hostels we've stayed at, which made them pretty gross. Definitely a HUGE party atmosphere. The location is great though- can walk to anything and right near station. The staff and security were not the friendliest, but they answered any questions we had.

The hostels location is great being on the edge of the Red Light District and it is fairly clean. That said it's biggest detrimental factors were a lack of a "real" common area as the bar attracts randoms and it is fairly hard to meet fellow hostellers. The other factor is that the staff were standoffish. I didn't feel I could ask them for help after a few interactions. The breakfast was decent and water pressure was solid. Hostel could benefit from hostel only social events in the bar.

Great hostel. Coffee shop within. Most comfortable beds I have slept in while travelling.

Great hostel, friendly staff, clean and comfortable. The hostel is in an excellent location and easy to find. The breakfast is so good I want to eat it all over again miam miam miam.

I really appreciated how accommodating the staff was on moving me into a dorm room after I accidentally booked myself for a private room for three nights in a row. I thought the bathrooms were a little gross in the big dorms, but I guess you can only expect that with so many people in one room. If you are traveling alone, definitely go for a bunk room--very easy to meet people because the bar area can be very intimidating if you don't go in with friends already.

I wouldnt recommend for people who are traveling alone. The lobby was almost always empty so it was very hard to meet people. Other than that, the place was great! The staff was really friendly, the location perfect (close to train station, bars, tourist attractions etc) and the security at the door made it a safe place to stay.

• 21st Jun 2015

A brilliant place to stay for young backpackers

• 21st Jun 2015
  • Wales

Sadly Hostelworld misunderstood my request to change my booking (even though that was the subject of my emails) and ended up with the Bulldog cancelling my booking in its entirety. However, credit must go to the Bulldog staff who made a a plan and saw to it that I had a room to stay in. I was most grateful to them. I would like to see bathroom mats and/or bathroom floor towels added to the bathrooms just so that once showered, you don't have to finish your shower routine with wet, cold feet.

Best hostel ever, we had an amazing time here. We knew staying here would be fun but we're also pleasantly surprised by its cleanliness. Will be back soon for sure.

amazing hostel! best hostel experience would definitely recommend. no other hostel beats the bulldog!

Fun hostel. Coffee shops and red light district very close. Overall a fun experience. Also good breakfast

Pretty sweet. Would be nice if our friend could have come into the rooms.

place is awesome, but no kitchen - so you can't make your own food….. the vibe was good, everyone was enjoying themselves. i had a very nice time here! the location is a few blocks from the main station (10min walk) its right in the center of all the action! smoke-shop is in the next building so its a ++! there is security at the door so i felt safe. overall i would go back if staying in amsterdam!!

My favorite hostel in the world I have stayed in quite a few hostels in Amsterdam but this is by far my favorite. I have not tried the (flying pig) it's usually booked but I here good things about them as well. If bull dog is available I highly recommend the place it's pretty clean considering its in the red light district. The staff was nice but nothing special. This place kills it with the atmosphere smoking lounge down stairs. Met some really cool people here. THANKS FOR THE GOOD TIME BULLDOG

Definitely a great location and the staff very friendly. Having a bar in the hostel was cool, but there was no lounge area. The only places to hang out were the bar or your room. Also with no kitchen it means you are buying all your meals.

Unbelievable location, literally 2 min walk to the Dam (main square). Nice staff and reasonable price, strongly suggest the hostel

This hostel was a fantastic time, do not get me wrong, if you stay here you will have a blast...but there were things that rubbed me the wrong way. The people at the desk are hit or miss. Some are very helpful and others seem just too stoned to care. We spent lots of time in the bar downstairs which was a great time, but the bartenders definitely could be a it more friendly. One night we had bought about 8 pitchers during happy hour (8-9) and at 8:54 I tried to buy a few more and they said no.

Great location and very good security. 24 hr guard. Felt very safe. Close to a lot of the action and very fun!