The Bulldog Reviews

Oudezijds Voorburgwal 220, Amsterdam, Netherlands

About what I expected from this hostel. Staff was great and security was top notch.

Great location. Common areas smell strongly of weed, rooms smell faintly. Incredibly uncomfortable bed, I could feel the springs. One night I thought my sheets smelled like curry but I'm fairly sure that was just because I had curry for dinner. Some really rude staff, none were particularly friendly. Breakfast provided was basic and good.

My two friends and I stayed in an 8 bed female dorm and loved it! The room was huge and we all had lockers that easily fit our backpacks! The location was awesome, right in the heart of the red light district and we were able to walk everywhere. We went out at night and never felt unsafe, the staff was super friendly and gave advice on where to go.

Very good hostel very friendly staff in a great location and the price is amazing for what your paying for the bulldog is the place to be 👌🏿WOULD RECOMEND!!!

Great place at a good price. Would definitely go back. Internet in the rooms, bar downstairs, cant complain about anything here!

Wifi works in rooms and you get your own power plug for every bed which is handy. Unfortunately the staff didn't make you feel warm and welcome like a good small hostel would. This is quite important for me and for other solo travellers ive spoken to. Rooftop area was very cool, you have a view of all of the tops of the main buildings and churches. There was an ok. I've at the hostel it not as friendly as others and I put his down to size. Smaller seems to be better.

The wifi works well, though you are kicked off pretty frequently. My chief complaint is that it didn't really feel like a backpacker's hostel at all. It was more like a hotel for cheap. If you're coming to Amsterdam to 100% party than the location and people staying here are unmatched. If you want to enjoy the city, visit but then leave the RLD, than this isn't the place for you. I wouldn't encourage this place for solo backpacker's. Groups for a party though, this is the place you want to be.

The Lounge/bar area was pretty cool atmosphere, but the front desk and room vibes were not the friendliest. Our dorm was more cramped than most hostels i've ever been to. The facilities are pretty bare-minimal ie no soap, shower curtain, hand towels etc, but you can buy or find most things you need in the front desk area. The staff seemed annoyed when we had questions. Overall decent, but next time i'll try a hostel more outside the main strip.

We really enjoyed our stay at the Bulldog & will definitely recommend it to friends!

• 24th May 2015

Mixed opinions about The Bulldog. It's obviously a very famous hostel/coffeeshop in Amsterdam and it's location is right in the middle of Amsterdam (and the Red Light District), which is great if you're interested in that area. But being next to the Red Light District means tons of people are around at all times, which can get old. Place has a bar/restaurant/smoking room (weed only) which is cool. The rooms and hallways have a very 90s outdated feel to them, but they were clean. More of a hotel.

Me and my friend thoroughly enjoyed our weekend stay at The Bulldog (May 2015), and will most definitely be returning again at some point in the near future. The hostel is in the perfect location, right around the corner from the Red Light District, and approximately a 7-10 minute walk from Central Amsterdam Station. It is a little noisy at night/early morning, but nothing that ear plugs would sort out. The staff were very friendly and helpful, particularly the front desk/reception staff. The r

• 22nd May 2015

Free herbal-mix in the bar after breakfast time and being right next to the touristy red light district would appeal to most people. Smokers definitely loved the place while non-smokers avoided the bar.

We had an amazing time! Great location and such a good atmosphere, loads of friendly people and staff. Best place to stay in Amsterdam!

• 18th May 2015

Smell of end overwhelming but facilities great in every other way.

• 17th May 2015

This hostel was all about the location for me, great environment and the security was good which was very comforting as I was travelling alone.

A bit overpriced to be honest, not really worth the hype. I stayed here for one night hoping to meet some fantastic people but really turned out to be an average place. The hostel is very clean though and there is Wi-Fi in rooms. Location is bang on the infamous Red Light district, lots of lechers all around you.

The atmosphere is great but our room smelt terrible and there was no security on the window so you couldn't leave it open. It wasn't smoky just very musty. The bathroom also fogs up easily and there is only one mirror so you have to wait a while. Location is prime for the red light district. For other attractions its not bad either. We even walked to Anne Frank House which really wasn't too bad about 10-15 minutes.

Generally very well run place wity friendly efficient staff

Very close to the red light district, but security for the place was awesome. Quite loud on the main floor with the cafe and the lounge, but noise was not heard from the rooms upstairs. Staff were very helpful, would definitely return.

Beds were amazing best ever bit noisey in the mornings but hey its amsterdam

• 12th May 2015