The Burren Hostel (Sleepzone) Reviews

Lisdoonvarna, The Burren, Cliffs of Moher, Ireland

It was a very warm welcome from Aoibhinn (Hostmum)!!! She is great and so helpful and full of funny stories! The house is huge, so a lot of people can stay there - but you can also enjoy privacy. It's a 20 minutes drive through the countryside by bike to the Cliffs of Moher.

• 11th Apr 2015

Thank you very much for positive review - it is great that guests can still find a quiet corner here. Glad you enjoyed your bike trip. Hope you will return someday again. Aoibhinn

The staff were very friendly. Hostel was walking distance from the excellent Roadside Tavern renowned for Irish Traditional music an even the odd Blues gig. Free entry too! Unfortunately our Private room was between two doorways which banged alot each morning from 7am onwards. They would need a pad on each to reduce noise and the closing aparatus needs to be aTV adjusted. Also the shower drain had a sour smell. These small repairs would make all the difference to a great hostel.

• 3rd Apr 2015

Thank you for review, I was here on reception for your entire stay and did not know you had issues – it would have been great to know at the time – to fix them. We have done our utmost to silence the doors with oil – paper / pads etc – I think we need new doors or hinges?? Tourists are up early, trying to get the most out of their day. I was totally unaware of the drain smell and we could have easily fixed that. Regards Aoibhinn

My stay in The Burren Sleepzone has been fantastic!!! The house is wonderful, the Lady who runs it is just gorgeous, the kitchen is really well equiped, the dining and breakfast room is great, the rooms are clean, cosy and have everything you need - apart from that, the staff is just AMAZING! I've never felt that home on travels! ..so I came back. Unscheduled -- and if I'd ever come back to Lisdoonvarna, I'll have a home! The Burren Hostel is just one of a kind! Love to all of you! Louisa

It was a great stay ! The staff is sooo friendly I almost felt like home. Everybody is really helpful, the rooms are nice and clean. Really one of the best hostel I've stayed in! Thanks for everything

• 21st Mar 2015

Aw thanks Rosie - we enjoyed having you here immensely - come back soon!! Regards Aoibhinn

The staff at the Burren Hostel were phenomenal. They honestly gave you the feel of a family, not a staff interacting with their customers. I was in the dinning room, and they even invited me and another guest over for a little wine and conversation. Because of this, as well as because of the hostels large rooms, nice, functional kitchen, and almost restaurant looking dinning room, it really felt that you were not going into a backpacker hostel, but a home. The best stay I've had at a hostel.

• 19th Mar 2015

Thanks John for the really lovely review and we enjoyed having you here and hearing about your interesting life in Italy. This is actually a home as the staff live here - so we are like one big happy family and that vibe does come through to the guests - which is unique!!

Not a lot of people staying when I came, so the atmosphere was a bit lacking. The staff, however were so welcoming and it didn't take long for the place to feel like home.

Thanks for the kind review - we're just open for the season !

There were only a few visitors @ the hostel, so most of the rooms were not heated, our room included. We had about 10°C inside. The repairs on the wall should be more cosy. There was mold on the wall around the windows and a moist air in the room, depends all from heating!

Hi Thomas and Barbara, thank you for your review. Please bare in mind that we close this hostel for the winter for 4 months and the heating does not go on and the building does take a few weeks to heat up - but apologies if you were cold but if we had have known we could have given you lots of extra blanets and an extra electic heater. March in Ireland can be cold. I hope that you shall come a warmer time next time. regards Aoibhinn

This is a big hostel but it was almost empty while I was here. It made it a bit like the Shining, but I had a comfortable stay nonetheless. I imagine that in the summer when it is full it has a completely different atmosphere. You can't beat it as far as location goes if you're trying to do some hiking in the Burren and visit the cliffs.

We'd definitely recommend the Burren Hostel. Aoibhinn's been such a DARLING!

It was just great! The building is amazing and we really enjoyed the stay there :)

The hostel is well situated and very convenient to everywere, the staff are really nice and very helpful, the hostel is very clean and the facilities were excellent, for the money you pay the value is excellent ,and the light breakfast is a real bonus. I will return next year with a bigger party of people.

• 3rd Oct 2014

Thanks you so much for your lovely review. Yes I agree with you, our hostel indeed excellent value for money. Really looking forward to seeing you and our other regulars again next year for the festival!! Take care Aoibhinn

Best crack I had in a long time

Ah Thanks Patrick - we really enjoyed having you here. Glad you had a great time. It was superb weekend!! Till next year - thank you!!

great place to stay

Great Hostel in small town with perfect start to discover the west coast. Staff is really nice and helpful. The rooms are big with enough space for the travellers. It's an old hotel, so the bathrooms are great. Only the flush is slow and little bit loud. I liked the stay and would come back. Travelling by bus is not perfect because it comes only every 90 minutes, but it's okay.

Thank you Alexandra for positive review. I have passed your lovely comments onto the staff here. Great having the large bed & bathrooms. I was unaware of the loud & slow flush?? I shall check it. Sorry about the bus frequency - not much we can do about it. Thanks again & please return soon.

5 star attention from Aoibhinn who had a big job on her hands but nevertheless put everyone at ease. Thanks to her and her staff I had a delightful stay. I had much appreciated help with travel plans and recommendations for enjoying the area..

Thank you so much Moya - it was a pure pleasure having you stay with us. Keep writing that poetry!! Till we meet again - don't leave it too long. Take care of yourself

Had a great time, defo the best hostel I ever stayed in and better than a few hotels too. Staff were great, the light continental brekkie was a bonus I didnt expect and it was clean throughout. Highly recommend the hostel

• 12th Sep 2014

Thank you Liam for staying & writing a brilliant review. Thrilled you had a great time. Please come back next year!! warmest regards

Very cozy hostel with nice rooms and food options available. Great price for all the we could get. The only complaint is that there was definitely a mold problem in the room we were in, and it was difficult to breathe at night, even with the window open. Very stuffy room and damp. They need to fix the mold problem. Other than that it was a great and the staff was very friendly and helpful!

The staff were wonderful! Bathrooms in my room could use a good clean/TLC

We loved this hostel. It was rather difficult to get to as you have to take a bus from the airport to Ennis then wait for another bus. Its entirely worth it when you get there. The people are lovely and the smoked salmon that is made across the street is delicious. Its a short bus ride to the cliffs of moher too which is great. We hope to be back there again soon!

Thank you Megan for your lovely review. Glad you loved here - we do too!! Sorry for the bus situation - not city services, I am afraid. We have indeed a lovely and loyal crew here - so will tell them what you said. The Burren Smokehouse is indeed the best salmon I have ever tried - the Honey Whiskey Fennel is my fav!! Please email me direct if you wish to book again and I shall look after you. Warmest Regards Aoibhinn

Mouldy Film corners in the dormitory room, who is allergic to that should look somewhere else. The walkable fridge is also not very well kept, nobody would store food in sth. like this at home. But as to cleanliness: I have seen much worse in Irish hostel kitchens so that would not keep me back from booking again.

• 7th Sep 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Thank you Jochen for positive review and we have taken on board your comments. Our building is a historic building so sometimes conditions do arise. We are considering a new fridge system. Naturally with the high volume of traffic cokking in the kitchen, it does get mess sometimes - it is a functional working kitchen and like all hostels it is up to guests to tidy up and clean after themselves. We hope to welcome you to The Burren Hostel again soon. Warmest regards Aoibhinn

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7