The Cambridge Hotel & Backpackers Reviews

28 Cambridge Terrace, Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand

Very noisy till 2.30 am as bar underneath, room smelt of dirty wet socks as sink was broken and had overflowed onto carpet which had been left damp.The smell made it hard to ignore.Bunk beds are comfortable and the showers are clean but floors very slippery when wet.The location is good

• 10th Feb 2016

I stayed at the Cambridge for a total of 5 days. It is very old and worn out (especially the carpets in the rooms). The washrooms were actually quite nice and I did see them getting cleaned daily. The kitchen should be clean a couple times a day, and it really sucked having to rent the dishes and cutlery. Wifi was expensive but worked well during the free hour each day.

Check that sink taps are actually working, only had hot water tap running and not cold. Either way my stay was actually quite nice.

Great location next to lovely cafes and restaurants. Staff were very helpful. Facilities were brilliant. Would highly recommend.

Room really stank of cigarettes, which wasn't really pleasant. All the rooms on the left seemed to back onto a smoking area, and the windows didn't close properly. However, excellent showers, nice staff, and a super cheap breakfast option in the morning.

Excellent choice and very satisfied Aucklanders!!

• 8th Jan 2016
  • New Zealand

quite dark not very clean in the rooms friendly staff loud at night, due to noisy windows bathtub/shower wall broken, leading to a flooded bathroom after showering

• 3rd Jan 2016

This is a great place for the more mature backpacker. Not so much of a party hostel with was great, but I still managed to meet some cool people in the common areas. The offer an inexpensive breakfast next door depending on how many sides you get with your eggs. The restrooms were clean and I was usually the only one is there when I used it. There was a little bit of waiting for the laundry machines.

The kitchen was horrible! Too small for so many people and really dirty! It was nasty to cook our food in there. The staff was very friendly though. And the bathrooms and dorms were clean. It was only thethe kitchen, which was so abhorrent!

• 26th Dec 2015

One of the best hostels I've very stayed in. The pub that is attached to the hostel does great backpacker meals and has drink deals, but is also a low key place that locals visit too, which is great. The rooms were very clean with in-suite bathrooms and the owners were very helpful about organizing visits to Able Tasman and other things to do in the area. I extended my stay because I liked the hostel and the city so much.

Do not sleep here if you want to actually sleep at night! That's all I heard all night was the toilets going and hand dryers! I checked out after one night when I booked for 2!

Pros: sturdy bunkbeds and nice staff Cons: 30min wifi!!!! Restroom & Kitchen not very clean.

We loved our stay here. Great staff, great facilities and great location. One of the best hostel's we've been too, plus the wifi is magnificent!

• 10th Nov 2015

Great place! Quiet and friendly.

• 25th Oct 2015