The Cambridge Hotel & Backpackers Reviews

28 Cambridge Terrace, Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand

On arrival the staff were friendly but we were not given much info about where our dorm was located or other facilities. The dorm room smelt of stale smoke, the bedding smelt dirty, i was on the bottom bunk and there was chewing gum and writing above me under the top bunk, there was a door missing on one of the toilets, no lamps or lockers for safe keeping in the dorm rooms, the kitchen was dirty, there were no windows in our dorm. Had to rent plates and cutlery. I would not stay here again!!!

A fridge in the room was great, could do to also have securable lockers. Better than average bathrooms, lots of space.

It was very easy and couldn't have asked for more really. Thanx

• 1st Jun 2015
  • New Zealand

Hostel was great, on the Kiwi Experience bus and didn't much like the boring and overpriced "Base" on our way down south so decided to change for our stop north and very glad we did! Only booked a couple of days prior but was still cheaper and a nicer place to stay. Room was good, could easily cook in the kitchen, could have drinks in the common area and toilets/showers were fine! Staff really nice and gave me a wifi code when my keycard stopped working.

This is our second stay at the hostel. The first stay was last year with a group in a group room and this year it was only two of us in a private room. The group rooms and bathrooms are much nicer than the private ones. Our private room was musty and the night side table was sticky so it was evidently not cleaned and there was a piece of trash on the floor. The top of the white comforter cover had a white dust on it. The bathroom was very musty and had always had a fan on. Noisy due to fan.

• 14th Apr 2015

They should provide kitchenette stuff in the kitchen you should ask to reception to get it and you leave 10 nzd depozit

Great central location and friendly, helpful staff. The room was clean and beds comfortable. Only wish they gave more than 30 minutes free internet per person per day.

The hostel is an old hotel a bit smelly and very noisy as facing a main street. No breakfast provided (not even coffee or tea bags). WiFi only for 30 mins then $2.50 every 30min. Beds are definitely not comfortable and noisy. No bed lights. I was in a 4 beds room and there was no space to store the backpacks. Hostel well located, 10 mins walk from the Te Papa Museum and 15 mins from Cuba Street.

Dirty, smelly, windowless, limited wi-Fi, $10 deposit for cutlery.

I fancied a week in Wellington and booked the Cambridge online after a Google search found Hostelworld. It's a 14 or 15 minute walk from the naked Bus stop on Bunny St / train station / ferry terminal or a Go bus is only NZ$2 The location on Cambridge Terrace is excellent - it's 20 or 20 metres from Courtenay Place (and, more importantly, only a stones throw away from the Ozturk kebab shop on Courtenay Place......) Would I stay there again? Absolutely Would I recommend it? Absolutely

• 23rd Mar 2015

Nice heritage feel.

• 23rd Mar 2015
  • New Zealand

Can't say I would choose to stay here again. The location was ok and the dorm room wasn't too bad but I really didn't like the atmosphere of the place and the kitchens and living areas are pretty small and in need of some updating. The guy behind reception really wasn't very friendly and helpful like most hostels and it was very annoying having to ask at reception for plates and cups when I needed them!

Great location, within walking distance of Cuba Street, cinemas and attractions. You get 30 mins wifi free which is cool, towel for $2, linen provided, laundry facilities for $2. I didn't use the kitchen but apparently you need to pay a deposit to use cutlery/dishes which I found a bit weird. There was a sink in our 4 bed dorm which was a plus. It is primarily a hotel though so there aren't a lot of opportunities for meeting other people. Still, it's cheap, very clean and super central.

Terrible experience. There is no quiet time at night. The one night I stayed I did not get any sleep as music played so loudly from the kitchen that I could hear it three rooms over. The staff did not mind at all and people ran around screaming until 4am. Do not stay here unless you are an insomniac or someone who wants a place to party all night.

I was overall pleased with my stay at this hostel and I found it good value for money. The general cleanness of the kitchen and bathrooms could be improved though, as the floors were often wet and half of the showers and toilets were out of order due to no light. When it comes to the room, it was spacious and comfortable, even if a bit dark. We were provided a heater which came in useful, as the weather got a bit cold. The place was quiet at night, which allowed for a good night sleep!

Good size room, clean, well equipped

• 8th Mar 2015

One of the noisiest places I have ever stayed. The bar was full of noisy sports fans with loud music until midnight, so I couldn'tsleep. The drunks continued partying in the room next to mine until I complained to them about it at 2:30 am. Nice enough room and building, but way overpriced and ridiculously loud. They do not care about the hotel guests trying to sleep, just selling more booze to drunks. Plus I never got a confirmation email from hostel world. I will never use your website

• 7th Mar 2015

great place to stay and I will stay next time I head Wellington next

Well-organised with very good facilities.

Much better than nearby hostels. bar decent too.