The Cambridge Hotel & Backpackers Reviews

28 Cambridge Terrace, Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand

The hostel is an old hotel a bit smelly and very noisy as facing a main street. No breakfast provided (not even coffee or tea bags). WiFi only for 30 mins then $2.50 every 30min. Beds are definitely not comfortable and noisy. No bed lights. I was in a 4 beds room and there was no space to store the backpacks. Hostel well located, 10 mins walk from the Te Papa Museum and 15 mins from Cuba Street.

I fancied a week in Wellington and booked the Cambridge online after a Google search found Hostelworld. It's a 14 or 15 minute walk from the naked Bus stop on Bunny St / train station / ferry terminal or a Go bus is only NZ$2 The location on Cambridge Terrace is excellent - it's 20 or 20 metres from Courtenay Place (and, more importantly, only a stones throw away from the Ozturk kebab shop on Courtenay Place......) Would I stay there again? Absolutely Would I recommend it? Absolutely

• 23rd Mar 2015

Nice heritage feel.

• 23rd Mar 2015
  • New Zealand

Great location, within walking distance of Cuba Street, cinemas and attractions. You get 30 mins wifi free which is cool, towel for $2, linen provided, laundry facilities for $2. I didn't use the kitchen but apparently you need to pay a deposit to use cutlery/dishes which I found a bit weird. There was a sink in our 4 bed dorm which was a plus. It is primarily a hotel though so there aren't a lot of opportunities for meeting other people. Still, it's cheap, very clean and super central.

Terrible experience. There is no quiet time at night. The one night I stayed I did not get any sleep as music played so loudly from the kitchen that I could hear it three rooms over. The staff did not mind at all and people ran around screaming until 4am. Do not stay here unless you are an insomniac or someone who wants a place to party all night.

I was overall pleased with my stay at this hostel and I found it good value for money. The general cleanness of the kitchen and bathrooms could be improved though, as the floors were often wet and half of the showers and toilets were out of order due to no light. When it comes to the room, it was spacious and comfortable, even if a bit dark. We were provided a heater which came in useful, as the weather got a bit cold. The place was quiet at night, which allowed for a good night sleep!

Good size room, clean, well equipped

• 8th Mar 2015

One of the noisiest places I have ever stayed. The bar was full of noisy sports fans with loud music until midnight, so I couldn'tsleep. The drunks continued partying in the room next to mine until I complained to them about it at 2:30 am. Nice enough room and building, but way overpriced and ridiculously loud. They do not care about the hotel guests trying to sleep, just selling more booze to drunks. Plus I never got a confirmation email from hostel world. I will never use your website

• 7th Mar 2015

great place to stay and I will stay next time I head Wellington next

Well-organised with very good facilities.

Much better than nearby hostels. bar decent too.

Comfortable beds, reasonable kitchen and shower facilities - all fairly average. They had overbooked and ended up booting me out despite having booked in advance. Whilst the lady on reception was very apologetic and found me a bed just around the corner for slightly less than I'd paid it was still inconvenient and somewhat annoying to be called up and told I should've already checked out.

Excellent location near all the downtown action. This is a hotel, and nothing fancy, although certainly acceptable. Not a fantastic price, but that's New Zealand in general.

Hostel was adequate but not worth 50 dollars a night. However location excellent security good dorm room fine and right next to bar

• 6th Feb 2015
  • Scotland

Nice surprise to have a TV in the single room. Would have liked a mirror in my room though. Plenty comfortable enough for no frills stay in Wellington.

• 5th Feb 2015

Secure quiet room with very solid walls (no noise between rooms - excellent). Only downside was state of mens restroom which had water on the floor from the showers and no real facilities to shave etc, just one basin and mirror was on opposite wall. Only other thing would have liked a rail on the top bunk for safety when in bed, thats all. Other than that, great peaceful hostel.

The location of this one was amazing - right near a lot of Wellington's nightlife and only a short walk from other major areas. The pub attached has a good value breakfast too. The sleeping/bathroom arrangements aren't super comfortable and it isn't the type of hostel you'd expect to meet others too often.

• 31st Jan 2015

The room was spacious but right beside a smoking area and it always smelt like cigarettes. There wasn't a window that could be opened and the room was super hot. No common area as it is more a hotel than a hostel but the kitchen area is spacious and nice. I ended up only needing 2 nights and when I emailed they said it wouldn't be a problem however I ended up loosing my deposit when I arrived because they couldn't figure out how to change it. Close to the water and not to far from food.

Dingy room; bunk bed literally falling apart (a piece fell onto the guy below, hitting him in the head); not enough power outlets so one was dangerously overloaded; bathroom sinks are absurdly small; cleanliness was just OK. Glad we only stayed here one night. I've stayed in far better hostels, but also far worse. Still, this is a hostel in NZ -- the worst hostel in NZ is still better than an average one I've seen elsewhere. It was cheap; met my minimum standards; good location.

Nilish was a really great front of house, really friendly and helpful. The bathroom setup is great. Kitchen was good. Would like to see a socket/light at each bed in the dorm and more laundry facilities. Other than that great place to stay where you can get a good nights sleep. They try to keep all long term stayers in rooms together which works out great for everyone too.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4