The Cambridge Hotel & Backpackers Reviews

28 Cambridge Terrace, Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand

It was a great pleasure to stay here. Def worth paying a revisit when i visit NZ again!

Basic accomodation at very good rate food was great enjoyed breakfast and dinner noticed some attendees couldnt work out shower may need basic instructions on wall Enjoyable stay would use again

• 3rd Sep 2014

Great location in the heart of Wellington, rooms and beds are a bit past their prime but the proximity to Wellington's finest cafes, restaurants and nightlife ensures you'll have no reason to stay in your room. Extremely friendly staff and the bar at Cambridge is a great place for a quiet beer after a day's exploration.

This hostel is just a small part of a hotel, which means that it somewhat lacks the atmosphere hostels are generally known for. There was a problem with one of the windows in my room, which combined with the rather turbulent Wellington weather made a lot of noise during the last night, making it difficult to sleep.

Their dorms are quite spacious and the atmosphere is just great. Definitely a recommendable place to stay :-)

Good place to stay. Would go back again

Perfect stay with helpful staffs!!

good place to stay, very cheap and well located. I would stay again

Great place to stay, awesome atmosphere and great central location. Only downside you have to rent utensils and quite noisy at night from base hostel next door but overall I would defiantly recommend this hostel.

It would have been excellent apart from the 6 bed dorm I was put in stank of urine, we think from a pile of dirty clothes at the end of one of the beds. When I complained the very kind lady on the front desk moved my girlfriend and I to a twin room for a charge of $20 which was amazing and out of the way of the smelly backpackers. It is not the hotels fault that some backpackers haven't grasped the idea of personal hygiene or the small invention of washing machines and soap!!

I had a great stay here. The staff at reception was very kind and welcoming. The location is great! And so is the atmosphere. Everybody was very friendly and I met only nice people. The facilities are good, very comfortable beds, lots of bathrooms and toilets, a cozy kitchen and lounge area (not the cleanest). I would definitely stay here again. At the opposite of the street is the Embassy Theater, go see a movie there! :) Oh.. and they offer a nice breakfast for $3 in the hotel pub/restaurant.

Everything was excellent apart from the under-sized common area and kitchen. Other than that I would definitely recommend this hostel!

• 8th May 2014

Not too bad a place. Rooms were nice and big beds were comfortable enough. The colour scheme meant it seemed quite dark a lot of the time, which could make some people sleepy. Works if that's all you need it for. The kitchen and "lounge" were far too small for the amount of people you can have staying there. In fact I had to wait til the crowds had died down before I could make myself a meal. The tea towels could do with being replaced a little more often.

Place is alright. Definitely a bit of the party hostel, which is okay if that's what you're looking for. Staff were friendly, but fairly uninterested; just the usual 'get them in and out' sort of feel. Facilities were clean, but a bit ridiculous with sink and mirror on opposite walls - made shaving pretty annoying.

Pro's: Good location, and bathrooms/dorm rooms were clean. Con's: The common room is the same room as the kitchen, and it wasn't very big. Also, staff was not particularly friendly or helpful. This is definitely more of a hotel than a hostel.

My lady and I stayed here one night in a private room. Very friendly staff. This place was GREAT. The room we had was private so it felt more like a 5 star hotel rather then a hostel. If I return to Wellington I will stay here again for sure.

Lovely place to stay with children Room was great Good value for money Highly recommended, I would happily stay there again.