The Cambridge Hotel & Backpackers Reviews

28 Cambridge Terrace, Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand

Very nice place. Clean, close to everything. A bit noisy on saturdays since you can hear music from the bar downstairs. Only for backpackers looking for a Hotel experience.

It would be great if they offered free wifi!

Built like a hotel so no real common room, tight squeeze for space there.

Staff wasn't really helpful or friendly, quite good location, though quite a bit off from the main action in Wellington. Atmosphere is almost non existent, except for a few people in the kitchen. 4 bed dorms are really good, 6 are much more packed.

Very clean and perfect if you are looking for a quiet, non-party hostel. The location was great- near lots of nice restaurants, close to Cuba street, and close to Mt. Victoria, which overlooks the city. First time I've ever had a tv in a dorm room, which was a nice surprise!

Stayed here 8 years ago. Came back because of good memories of this place but sad to say it's a little tired now especially the kitchen. Also got the impression that guest were staying here long term which took the backpacking vibe away as the long term guests seemed to have their own little clicks.

Unfortunately my stay here wasn't the nicest. The staff were pleasant but the facilities let the place down. The kitchen was pretty dirty due to other guests not knowing how to wash up and put away what they had used. 1 night I could pass but it was the same every day and I was here for 5 nights. The toilets could be checked a bit more regularly as quite a few times loo roll was all over the floor and people had left the loo itself in a bit of a state. Quiet hostel at night which was good

Good location close to cafes, shops, bars and restaurants. Single room had good facilities (tv, fridge, kettle, sink, linens/bedding) but was tatty. First floor could be a bit noisy at night due to the road and music from the bar. I missed having a decent lounge area to relax in and the bathroom was quite a way away from my room.

Had to let my dinner go cold waiting to rent a plate from reception. Staff left my room open for over an hour while no one was in the room. Key card repeatedly stopped working. Slowest reception in the world. Cleaning equipment clogging hallways all day every day. Wouldn't give me my BBH card discount. Rooms were always filthy and smelled terrible.

• 4th Jan 2015

I like the fact that the beds are lower than usual, however on the second part of both days I could smell gas in the room, possibly due to the fact the window opens out the back where the pubs kitchen is located at. Free 30 min wifi every 24h which was really fast!

I was a bit disappointed by the cleanliness of the place (uraroma in the corridor...) and the noise in the 8-beds room coming from the ventilation system. It is ok for a backpackers place, but definitely not the best one in NZ !

We unfortunately were only in the Hostel for about 7 hours, but we wished we could have stayed longer! The Hotel is amazing with its old charm. We stayed in a private double bed with ensuite bathroom and LOVED it! The staff was really nice about our 1am arrival and even gave us an upgraded room. This was probably our favorite Hostel to stay at in Australia and New Zealand simply because it was so neat to stay in a building so old, and I don't usually like old things!

hostel price, hotel feeling!

It was a nice sized 4 bed dorm with tv, fridge

This is basically hotel standard except for the shared bathroom. We had our own tv with sky and tea making facilities. Clean bathroom. Kitchen facilities if needed. Own personal fridge in room. Comfortable and clean. Bar downstairs does good food and drinks.

Excellent location and a cool building. Lacks a backpackers common room (just a public bar downstairs) so it feels a bit more like a hotel with dorms.

Great location. Hotel like feel. I got the squeekiest bed ever which woke me up during the night! Minor but it did impact on me.

Close to everything, rooms not too small, internet v fast, lot of long term stays, kitchen

It was the perfect location - convenient to public transportation, nightlife, and all of the touristy sites. The staff are all super friendly and up for a chat or recommendations for a real insider's take on the city. I would definitely recommend this place.

• 15th Dec 2014

Great location, decently sized rooms, clean. Only one common room/kitchen and the room was pretty small. Good price.

« first « Prev 1 2 3